70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 26m 28s
Overall Rank = 419/591
Age Group = F 30-34
Age Group Rank = 23/33
Pre-race routine:

Friday morning - Long drive to Cedar Point

Friday night - Roller Coasters. No lines. We rode until there was no more blood in my head and I thought I might throw up. We headed back to the hotel and recovered with food and beer.

Saturday morning - practice swim in 3-4 foot chop. A swim in Lake Erie is not at all like a swim in any other lake I've been to. It's a body of water big enough to have islands. They shouldn't be able to call it a lake and make it seem all calm and cute.

Late Saturday morning - Freaked out about the swim

Saturday afternoon - Bike check, a nap, some football, some food, got all my gear packed up, freaked out about the swim a little bit more.

Sunday morning - up before the sun to shower, shave, eat, and set up transition. I got back to the hotel room and tried to relax. We had a lakeside view so I watched the pro start and the full iron mass start from the balcony. Finally it was time to suit up and head out to the water.
Event warmup:

They were letting folks in the water prior so I got in and warmed up my wetsuit.
Swim
  • 44m 16s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 06s / 100 yards
Comments:

Worst. Swim. Ever. I may have said that about other swims in the past but this time I mean it. Not an ounce of hyperbole.

I'm not really sure what happened. The water was calm and I was feeling pretty relaxed at the start but once I got in the water I never got into a groove. It felt kind of sloshy out there - for lack of a better term. It seemed no matter which side I turned to breath water was hitting me in the face. It was the oddest sensation. And no matter how hard I tried I couldn't seem to stay on course. I was always getting pushed to the left on the way out and the right on the way back. It actually made me feel like the course itself was crooked.

Needless to say, I spent the entire swim feeling discombobualted. I was beyond surprised to look at my watch when I was getting out of the water and see 43 minutes. I was certain, as much breaststroke as I ended up doing, that I would be in the 50 minute range. I remain convinced that the swim course was shorter than 1.2 miles.
Transition 1
  • 03m 16s
Comments:

I was still a little out of it in T1. I struggled to get my suit over my heels. I got my helmet, shoes, and sunglasses on and headed for the bike out only to have to turn around and head back for nutrition. Far from brilliant.
Bike
  • 3h 32m 21s
  • 56 miles
  • 15.82 mile/hr
Comments:

I knew I was undertrained for the bike segment so my goal was to take it nice and easy - just a Sunday spin. I was expecting about a 3:30 ride and that is exactly what I got. It was a pretty uneventful ride. I just stuck to my plan, enjoyed the scenery, and watched all the other bikes pass me by. There were spectators out all along the course and it was nice to get a cheer as I rode by. I even got Tour de France worthy encouragement. There was a group of what appeared to be college age kids with cowbells and such. One of the guys ran next to me for a few steps and shouted at the top of his lungs as I went by. Good chance they had been drinking the morning away.
Transition 2
  • 04m 15s
Comments:

I have never been so happy to see a porta-potty. Sweet relief.
Run
  • 2h 02m 20s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 20s  min/mile
Comments:

I really wanted to put in a sub-2 HM. I thought I had riden smartly and still had the legs to get it done. The first few miles zoomed by. I took a short walk break at the first aid station to get down a gu and some water and I was off again. The crowd support was great along the whole length of the course. It seemed every time I needed a boost a spectator would give me a smile and a shout and I was back to feeling good. I got to see the male and female pros come roaring by on their first lap of the marathon. It was a huge boost to have the opportunity to see such amazing athletes out on the course.

I continued running along and was feeling really great until about the 10 mile mark and then my legs started to betray me. By mile 12 my left leg was on fire from hip to toe. By mile 13 I was going on sheer will power - my leg didn't want to bend anymore. It was hard to watch the 2 hour mark roll by before I could get to the finish line. I really had to dig deep to keep running. It was such a relief to pass under the banners that I almost let a tear leak out. Luckily I was able to suck it up continue down the finishing chute without ruining my hardass reputation.
Post race
Event comments:

This ended up being easier than I expected while still being one of the hardest things I've ever done. I learned a lot about myself as a triathlete and as a person. I learned that I'm stubborn as a mule and sometimes that's a good thing. I learned that being a girls still sucks. (Dear uterus, Seriously?? You couldn't have waited 12 more hours?) I learned that I really like the HIM distance and I would like to actually train to race the next one. I learned that I miss The Dude's support when he can't travel with me. I learned that a little bit of heart and a dash of willpower will carry you more miles than you might expect. And most importantly I learned, once the sun sets in Sandusky, don't ever, ever, ever ride in the front car of a roller coaster unless you want to eat lots and lots of bugs.

Last updated: 2010-05-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:44:16 | 2112 yards | 02m 06s / 100yards
Age Group: 24/33
Overall: 0/591
Performance:
Suit:
Course: Clockwise, rectangular swim
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 65F / 18C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:16
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:32:21 | 56 miles | 15.82 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/33
Performance:
Wind:
Course: Single loop course that took us out of the park and into the farmland. We passed through a few small towns and then it was back the way we came. The course was mostly flat with some rollers and few short, steep climbs.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 04:15
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:02:20 | 13.1 miles | 09m 20s  min/mile
Age Group: 23/33
Performance:
Course: Out of the park, loopity, loopity, back to the park.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2010-09-15 8:38 AM

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN
Subject: Revolution3 Half Ironman

2010-09-15 8:55 AM
in reply to: #3099466

User image

Master
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Subject: RE: Revolution3 Half Ironman
Nice report....funny about being a girl.  I control my uterus in that regard and am so happy for it.  Peshaw to the "yer sposd to perform better for it." B.S. I say. 

I digress.

I agree with the swim.  I had the exact same experience. Total freak out on Saturday.  Don't know what went wrong with me on Sunday as the water seemed calm.

And I, too, was SURE I'd been out there like 75 minutes or some obscene amount of time. 

Great job!

(P.S. How did you fig. out your AG placement?)
2010-09-15 11:20 AM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Respect, you managed a challenging distance in difficult conditions.

I think the uterus is always in conspiracy against us as women.
2010-09-15 11:39 AM

User image

Regular
Great job out there. As the shallowest of the Great Lakes, Erie can get churned up pretty easily. As someone who has been on the lake since as long as I can remember, I was a little nervous about the swim after seeing the conditions Friday and Saturday afternoons.

We couldn't have asked for a better day on Sunday though. Good luck on your next HIM.
2010-09-15 2:33 PM

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
Congrats on a great race! Awesome job sticking it out on the run.

FYI, to your uterus - if it happens to be done having kids or whatever (I don't know your age or personal situation) you can get something called NovaSure and basically never have your period again. Best thing I ever did. Well, it's a tie with Lasik, which is also pretty great. I think it's better than that, though.

Congrats!!
2010-09-15 6:19 PM

User image

Elite
Connecticut
WTG Emily!  You gonna do it again next year? 

2010-09-15 8:05 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Emily- great report!! I love your humor!! Can't wait for our celebratory drinks!!
2010-09-15 11:32 PM
in reply to: #3101143

User image

Clearly your race reports are not to be missed. Excellent! Congratulations on your first HIM!
2010-09-16 3:08 PM

User image

Pro
Simpsonville, SC
Congrats on your first HIM! I hear Rev3 does a great job putting on races.
2010-09-16 5:59 PM

User image

Master
East Side of the Bay
Congrats on your first HIM PR!! Great going and way to really push your limits on the run.  I will remember about the bugs...thanks.
2010-09-16 8:30 PM

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York
awesome job Emily!

ps
i *heart* the word discombobulated, even if it's not fun to feel that way during a swim

2010-09-18 9:27 AM

User image

Veteran
Greensboro,NC
Emily,
Enjoyed your race report. You did great. Congratulations on your first half ironman.

John
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Revolution3 Half Ironman Rss Feed