Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Musings from a former triathlete making her way back....part 1 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2005-07-25 3:38 AM

User image

Master
Sonoma County, CA
Subject: Musings from a former triathlete making her way back....part 1
So I laid in bed Saturday night and for the first time in months the thought of waking up early, heading out before the heat, getting in a couple of miles, watching the sunrise as my heart rate did the same, feeling my body temp increase as the sweat broke out over my body, my arms, face, chest, legs, feeling the burn in my muscles, the quickening of my breath didn't actually bring a yawn to my face.

For the first time, in I don't know HOW long...okay, yeah, I do....since February, 2005, since my training weekend at Lake San Antonio, I actually YEARNED to feel all those things and lay in bed unable to sleep for the excitement that washed over my body at the thought of those first steps out my front door.

God, the last few months have been a blur. A blur of good and bad, dark and light. The dark got *realllly* dark there for awhile but during that time there were moments of light that I held on to. I succumbed to my own weaknesses, admitted I'm human and just_shut_down.

I
shut
down

How weird, after a life of constant activity....a life where I grew up playing sports since I could walk, where if I wasn't running with my tail on fire I was bored, that I could fall into the slump of the last few months as easily as I have.

I can honestly say here that during that time I absolutely never thought and/or missed working out. Is that sad or what? I went some triathlons to support some friends, saw some others run....yet didn't miss a god_damn thing.

sigh.

I lettered in 4 sports in high school, was mvp in 3 of them, all-league in 2 of them and all high school glory days aside, am a pretty god damn spectacular athlete..... have been since I was wee high and I flunked out of ballet and took up softball.

and i didn't give a damn.

I'm someone who looks at people sweating and sympathy sweat.

I'm someone who watches sports vignettes set to music and gets misty.

I watched Kari Strug in the Olympics and started sobbing the moment she finished her last pommel horse run.

I'm someone who cries watching Kona every year.

My favorite movies revolve around sports for christs sake! baseball, football, tennis, cycling...the come from behinds, the ones where you see them sweat blood, where they overcome odds, where if they're *not* doing what they love they're dying inside.....

someone who appreciates, respects, reveres watching people put their body in truly amazing situations from Lance down to some kid in a grade school game who just_won't_give_up and finishes the race.

and i couldn't even look in the drawer with all my tri gear.

I hid my bikes.

I shoved all 4 pairs of running shoes to the back of my closet.

My tri tops, shorts, wetsuit, goggles, caps....even my most prized posession...MY POLAR S625X!!!! (with footpod mind you, cadence sensor AND speedometer!)....a spare drawer in a spare room where no one would find them....it is there they have been.

i didn't miss it.

at all.

but things have finally changed.

things are changing.

I'm dreaming again of sweat. I'm dreaming of the finish line. I'm dreaming of the rides where I crest the top of a hill, and as I bring my heart rate down, view the valley below me and think God DAMN I LOVE RIDING MY BIKE!

I'm dreaming of those runs where I bitch and moan and cry and swear and curse everyone on heaven and earth and then....hit my high, find my stride, get past what I've always lovingly referred to as the "shitty first mile" and just....run.

I'm' dreaming of open water swims....of water lapping over me, looking down into green murkiness, wondering in the back of my mind if the Loch Ness Monster could really actually live in lake Sonoma, and just falling into the rhythm of stroke, stroke, stroke, breathe....stroke, stroke, stroke, breathe...stroke, stroke, stroke, breathe....and LOVING IT, white caps and all.

I've started reviewing these boards again, watching others around me take on the challenge day after day, fit the workouts in between work, children, relationships, strife, stress and frustration and continue to do it b/c it FEELS GOOD and feel that inkling in my belly, that twitch, that flip flop of my stomach and think....that could be me once again. I miss these people. I miss this comradery. I miss this family.

This road I've been on is long. This is a road I do not want to ever u-turn on. Call it a reallllllllllly bad Stephen King novel (his short story The Mist comes to mind) and I'm done, I'm past it, I've made it through stronger for having gone through it but still wondering "why the Hell did I HAVE TO GO THRU THIS???" If I have any more "character building" moments in my life I'll become my own freakin' novel.

Alas, though, I'm moving forward and will continue to move forward.

This isn't a post about the brick I did today.

This isn't a post about the race I've signed up for next month.

This is a post about someone losing their way, giving in to pressures around me, losing sight of what is me and fighting, scratching, kicking and screaming my way to get back.

I'm still fighting and kicking, but each day it gets a little easier.

So I will continue.

Edited by crpadiem 2005-07-25 3:45 AM

2005-07-25 5:46 AM
in reply to: #206065

User image

Master
Savannah,
Subject: RE: Musings from a former triathlete making her way back....part 1
From one athlete to another-welcome back.
2005-07-25 9:05 AM

User image

Master
Dayton, Minnesota
Bronze member
I remember you, crpadiem, and wondered where you went. I'm glad the dark is behind you. Welcome back!
2005-07-25 9:20 AM

User image

Buttercup

It's good you listened to yourself. If you shut down, then I would say it's because you needed to shut down. That's not a bad thing; it's just what you needed.

Welcome back!

2005-07-25 10:11 AM
in reply to: #206187

User image

Master
Ann Arbor, MI
Weclome back from the abyss. It is hard going but keep it up. If I can come back to running after three years then anyone can. Take it slow and enjoy the journey. If you live for the destination you miss the tingle before the sweat runs like a river and that would be a shame.
2005-07-25 10:23 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2005-07-25 3:33 PM

Sydney Australia
Subject:
2005-07-25 4:12 PM

Elite
Hendersonville

I worry someday that might happen to me.  What if one day I just stop and get fat and miserable?  What if the darkness finds me??

So it's nice to hear you can come back from it.  And I am glad you did.

Jessica

2005-07-25 4:39 PM

Extreme Veteran
Manitoba, Canada

Welcome back Nancy, many months since we celebrated our new Polars together.

The smell of sweat and cholorine, and the sound of wheels on a road are calling your name from that place of hell you have been. I am glad you can hear it's whisper .... that drawer in the spare room with tri gear is still there and will wait for you.  Training is a friend that does not leave, just patiently waits for you to find it again.

2005-07-25 4:42 PM

Master
Sonoma County, CA
Thanks one and all....
it's nice to see so many old faces here as well as new ones...I find I"m learning stuff all over again.

Yes, the tri drawer got pulled into the open this weekend, the running shoes pulled to the front of the closet, getting ready to dust off the bike.

2005-07-25 10:24 PM

Veteran
Perth, Oz

Welcome back!!

I am scared the same thing will happen to me oneday.  If I don't keep training I know how easily I'll fall into the same abyss!

Great to see you WANT to do it again

2005-07-26 7:58 AM

Champion
Welcome back Nancy! I missed you a lot. I love reading your posts and the articles you wrote last year were fantastic. It's good to have you here again! We need you as much as you need us!!!!

Edited by max 2005-07-26 7:59 AM
2005-07-26 8:06 AM

Pro
Andover
Hi Nancy,

I don't really know you but I just wanted to say, "Welcome Back!" And, I'm looking forward to reading about your progress as you make your way back into the water, saddle, and running shoes one stroke, pedal, and step at a time.

All the best,
Rob
2005-07-26 8:49 AM

Master
Marietta, Ga

The measure of a person is not how many times they get knocked down, but rather what they do when they get up.  Cheers to you, Nancy, for lacing up the shoes and getting back into life.  Let training be that ever constant in your life, the one thing that never changes.  Its something you can always come to, a "center" of sorts, when life begins again to take its crazy turns.  Its your time, to be alone, to endure some pain, some cleansing, and some peace.

I find that training is very analogous to life in general.  Its pain and sacrifice, gains and accomplishment.  Suffering and achievement are great for the soul.  As I wrote in one of my race reports right after a race, pain and achievement are the two oars on the boat called "Truth".  Only those achievements that come through sacrifice are important to us, they are the ones that mean the most in the long run.

I wish you the best.  You have a whole host of folks here who will offer you a hand, a word of encouragement, and swift kick in the ass (yes, we have all types).  My hat's off to you.  You are showing an enormous amount of strength and good character.  Keep at it and never give up.

Edited by Motivated 2005-07-26 8:50 AM
2005-07-26 10:26 PM

Supersonicus Idioticus
Thunder Bay, ON
Be considerate to others... no polar heart rate monitor should be left in a closet like that.

Edited by So Fresh So Clean 2005-07-26 10:26 PM
2005-07-26 10:54 PM
in reply to: #208414

Master
Sonoma County, CA
So Fresh So Clean - 2005-07-26 7:26 PM

Be considerate to others... no polar heart rate monitor should be left in a closet like that.

ahhh, and oh, yes, is it a beauty....pulled it out, lovingly stroked the buttons, refreshed the memory on operation and off and runnin'...literally.....

2005-07-26 11:47 PM

Extreme Veteran
Eagleville,

I am sorry to hear you had such a dark journey, but I am glad to see you have made it back.  I just started coming to BT around the time you left.  I have also gone though ups and downs in my training.  I am still, after 7 months, trying to make it a regular habit; but have not been able to get more then a few weeks of training in before "falling of the wagon."  Stories like yours are inspirations to me, which help get me back on the wagon.  So welcome back and I hope to get to know you better and have the chance to help you as much as you are helping me.

2005-07-27 10:01 AM

Champion
Whizzzzzlandia
Silver member

Welcome back, Nancy... You'll still recognize alot of the old faces avatars around... we're still here... and glad to have ya back!!!

Whizzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

2005-07-27 12:47 PM

Yeah!!! Nancy's back!!!  I've missed the dance naked avatar!  The strength of the human spirit is a beautiful thing.  Between your post, Jlusk's IMLP race report, and coming across Barb Lindquist's website this week, my tear ducts are completely cried out--happy tears are so surprising you never know when they are going to strike.

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Musings from a former triathlete making her way back....part 1 Rss Feed