Salisbury University
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 04m 6s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up @ 2:00. This isn't all that off, I'm normally awake at 3:00. Had my normal 4 breaded mozzarella sticks and 4 Southwestern rolls for breakfast with my coffee. Drove the 2:30ish hours to the race.
Event warmup:

changed out in the McDonald's parking lot. It's a century ride so there's not a race to be had.
Bike
  • 5h 04m 6s
  • 99.64 miles
  • 19.66 mile/hr
Comments:

Oh I do like this ride. Amusing side note: I STILL have not ridden 100 miles in any one ride.

Started out in a horrid large pack. With 6,000 some odd riders that's hard not to do. Jockied for position in town but kept it civil.

Got out of town and the crowds started thinning out. Some roadies decided to latch onto me and draft. I don't care as long as they know I may or may not give them warning about movements especially since a lot of times the person doesn't even give me the courtesy of telling me (s)he's drafting.

Purple amoebas EVERYWHERE. Team In Training packs all over the damn place. Rare was the group that was taking up the whole side of the road and not leaving any room to the left who wasn't wearing one of the Team in Training jerseys from various parts of the country. Hell, at one point there were two people riding side by side and they had divided the lane up in thirds and each was riding the line that cut the thirds. They weren't even moving off when they had a line of cars lined up behind them. Sure enough, Team In Training jerseys.

A little more familiar with the course this year and it was just a perfect day to ride. Started out low 50's or late 40's. I don't think there was a cloud in Maryland all day and it got up to about 65 or 70 at the end of the ride.

I left my toes in the car, apparently. They joined me about 2 hours into the ride. At one point I thought I had picked up a twig or stick in the vent at the bottom of my shoe and kept trying to work it off the side of my shoe so I could ignore it until the next rest stop. It didn't want to seem to move. GRRRR. Took my shoe off and there tweren't anything in there. WTF? Then it dawned on me that my toes were thawing and my big toe had only partially unfrozen. The "stick" was the rest of the big toe that was still numb. Oops.

Tree lined back roads. Some really nicely paved, some just okay. Very few chip sealed or beaten to hell. Little to no wind.

This year was slightly different in feel for me. I got passed by three or four pacelines. That's all. Got passed by ONE single rider. I felt great the whole ride. When I got off at the end I wasn't utterly toasted like I was last year. I could still run. How odd. I also wasn't covered in salt, my legs weren't cramped and I wasn't wobbly. Weird.

Once again, the out portion, 62.x miles, I did averaging 20.4 MPH. That should tell you what the wind was like on the return trip. I was just trying to keep 80 RPM pedal speed and whatever gearing that would give me that. 80 seems to be my happy place. I switch to 90 when I need a break or to change things up but rarely do I drop to 70 intentionally.

I HAD to stop at the last rest stop. Apple pie with vanilla ice cream. Now I tend to avoid carbs in my day to day diet but when I'm out training I use HEED, Perpeteum, Gels, Sustained Energy and the normal stuff. Well, apple pie is an excellent source of race energy, right?

What would you do differently?:

Nothing at all.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around. Got my tshirt and bought a jersey. Talked to the giant fibreglass seagull and had him hold my bike for a minute.

I have all intention of doing this again next year.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2010-06-17 12:00 AM
Biking
05:04:06 | 99.64 miles | 19.66 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Loopy course that meanders out from Salisbury University to Assateague Island and back.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 78
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-10-10 4:08 AM

User image

Subject: Sea Gull Century 2010

2010-10-10 7:03 AM
in reply to: #3143451

User image

Champion
NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete
Subject: RE: Sea Gull Century 2010
Nice ride.

I wish that I had known that you were there so I could have said "hey".

We started at 7:30 and it was a mess.  There was an accident that the FD and a ambulance had responded to around mile 5.

I stopped at every rest stop.  I now know that I have a lot of work to do before IM Spud.
2010-10-10 7:50 AM

User image

Well, we'll just have to meet up next year for it
2010-10-10 9:44 AM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Nice work!

I have to be healthy enough to ride this with you next year.
2010-10-10 9:48 AM
in reply to: #3143549

User image

QueenZipp - 2010-10-10 10:44 AM

Nice work!

I have to be healthy enough to ride this with you next year.

Hope so! Let's go

Look at Culpeper century as well.
2010-10-10 4:44 PM

User image

Regular
Malvern, PA
Nice ride.  We came through the mile 5 accident right after it happened.  A lady was lying face down not moving on the side of the road.  Not pretty; I hope she was ok.

Wind was just brutal for the last 40 miles.

We passed one purple ameoba  that seemed to be in a particularly bad mood.  They were taking up 2/3 of the entire road (over the double yellow line) and were snotty that we passed them without yelling "on your left" to each of the 40 of them.

Edited by Mr. BoH 2010-10-10 4:46 PM

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Sea Gull Century 2010 Rss Feed