General Discussion Race Reports! » Carlos O'Brien's Prospector Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Carlos O'Brien's Prospector Triathlon - Olympic Course - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Peoria, Arizona
United States
4 Peaks Racing
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 45m 53s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Ate a Power Bar with some coffee on the way to the race. Was still feeling a little queasy from dinner the night before. We arrived in plenty of time to get checked in and set up, even though it was dark. Having a head lamp is a lifesaver for pre-dawn check ins. It was extremely windy, which ended up affecting the whole morning.
Event warmup:

Stayed in the car and made a couple of trips to the restrooms. Got the wetsuit on in plenty of time to adjust the fit repeatedly. It still felt snug in the arms and shoulders, but I got a chance to get in the water before the start and it loosened up properly.
Swim
  • 42m 7s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 34s / 100 yards
Comments:

Terrible, terrible swim. Because of the wind, the water was very choppy and there were waves (waves!) to contend with. I just don't have enough experience swimming in those conditions, and I was unable to get any kind of rhythm going between my stroke and the motion of the water. I was repeatedly getting hit in the face with waves, which always seemed to be coming from the wrong direction. I was a little panicky, and I just couldn't find a way to breathe. The entire swim was a struggle, but I just kept fighting it. After getting hit a few times in the face on the back half of the triangle, I actually thought about cashing it in and taking a DNF when I finished the first loop. I'm glad I didn't do that, but I was having a really tough time. With a combination of breaststroke and constant sighting stroke, I finally finshed.
What would you do differently?:

If I had more presence of mind, I might have tried the trick of exaggerating the roll along with the stroke. Going into a bi-lateral breathing stroke with a breath every third stoke (while counterintuitive) also may have helped. I also could hhave experimented with backstroke. I need more practice under thesae conditions, but it is tough to get in AZ.
Transition 1
  • 08m
Comments:

Due to the water level being low, there was a really long run/walk up to the transition area. This time was added to the swim in the official times, so I estimate T1 at about 8-10 minutes.

No sense of urgency - I was rattled from the swim.
Bike
  • 1h 31m 40s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 16.27 mile/hr
Comments:

I really wanted to negative split the loops, but my performance declined a little with each loop. My weight is a real liability on the uphills, and my frame is a liability in wind - bad combo. I was very familiar with the course, so I knew what gear to be in and when, which helped and I was able to make up some of the time that I gave away to the field on the swim. My computer stopped reading about 9 miles into the course, so I was going blind most of the way with regard to speed. I rely too much on it. I knew what kind of speed I should carry at each part of the course and I could have compared my speed on each loop. I missed having the data and was going by HR and RPE. As I fatigued, I slowed down. The only bright spot is that my HR remained high through the bike course, so I know I was putting a proper effort in. I just don't think I was 'on' physically. It didn't help matters that I went into the race with no hydration/nutrition plan, and only took a couple of sips of electrolyte water through the bike segment.

Not much - I did what I could under the circumstances.
Transition 2
  • 06m
Comments:

Estimated as it was added into the bike time. Additional time taken for a bathroom stop.

Fairly efficient, and the bathroom stop was a necessity.
Run
  • 1h 17m 54s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 12m 32s  min/mile
Comments:

The run started off fairly well. I completed the first half of loop one with a very good pace. After the turnaround, though, the uphill started and I hit a wall. The heat was climbing, I was starting to dehydrate, and my HR remained in aerobic zone even when I slowed to a walk. I struggled to the end of loop one. I used the downhill part of loop two to pick the pace back up. I even managed to get to the turnaround a little faster than I had on loop one. The uphill back to the finish stopped me in my tracks again, though. I ended up running loop two a little slower and was beat by the time I got to the finish. The Gatorade and water that I had taken in on the run was too little, too late.

Drink more earlier in the race. I also need to take in some calories during an Olympic - after 25 races, I should know that. Veteran/pride mistake.
Post race
Warm down:

Staggered around collecting my things and getting to the car.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Fitness, excess weight, dehydration, nutrition, too much mental/physical energy expended on the swim - everything really.

Event comments:

Definitely not the race I was hoping for, but comparable times to other challenging Olympic courses I have done. I just expected to see more progress than I did for this one, as training has been going well as I have been building for Silverman. The course was tough - I knew that going in, and with the exception of the swim, I handled it okay. The HR numbers indicate that the effort was there and consistent, but my body did not respond the way I would have expected. I did myself a disservice by not taking the race seriously and skipping nutrition and hydration. Having adequate fluids and some calories in could have helped. What really disappoints me is my performance relative to the field. I'm not sure if it was just a good group of competitors that showed up or what, but I got my butt handed to me by the field and finished way, way at the back of the pack. A few years ago, this was normal, but I have improved since then and at least feel like I am part of the race most of the time. It was pretty lonely out there toward the end - diappointing. I know that hills and wind are my nemeses, but everyone raced under the same conditions. I have four weeks to pull it together or Silverman is going to be a long, long painful day.

Last updated: 2010-09-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:42:07 | 1640 yards | 02m 34s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Bad
HR Average: 145, 154 max
Suit:
Course: Two laps around a triangular course
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current: High
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Bad Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 08:00
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:31:40 | 24.85 miles | 16.27 mile/hr
Performance: Below average
156 average, 173 max
Wind: Some
Course: Four out and backs. The segment kind of resembled a U - start off down hill and climb back to each turnaround.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 06:00
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:17:54 | 06.21 miles | 12m 32s  min/mile
Performance:
149 average, 160 max
Course: Two loops of an out and back course. The out was all downhill and the back was all uphill.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2010-10-11 11:15 AM

User image

Master
Surprise, Arizona
Subject: Carlos O'Brien's Prospector Triathlon - Olympic Course

2010-10-11 2:58 PM
in reply to: #3144955

User image

Expert
Phoenix, AZ
Subject: RE: Carlos O'Brien's Prospector Triathlon - Olympic Course

Chalk another one up for experience, take what you learned and you're going to do great at Silverman. Sorry you had such a battle during the swim, but it sounds like you learned a lot. Not sure about the backstroke, but the other ideas you mentioned sound like really solid swim plans! That bike course is tough and going into it blind when you're used to having a computer is harder mentally. I admire how you have the courage to keep going even during a bad race, don't let this hold you back, use it to propel you further!

2010-10-11 4:05 PM

User image

Elite
Phoenix, AZ
Every time I try to race (or fake race) at LP I have a similar experience to you. Running out there is just a nightmare. I think that hill out of the parking area to the ranger station just ends your day. The rest is just a death march.
The no-speedometer thing is a worry for me. I wasn't planning on running a bike computer at IMAZ and just going on heart rate. Now I'm worried because I know I look at it A LOT.
2010-10-11 4:39 PM

User image

Regular
Tempe
You should give yourself more credit since you won a battle by not DNF'ing out of the swim.  That is a huge success by staying in control and finishing the race.  Just think this makes you tougher for Silverman
2010-10-11 7:02 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Casa Grande, Az.
Great job! Man, toughest race I've ever done! Great race report, very detailed.....
2010-10-12 8:29 AM

User image

Veteran
Long Island, NY

Hey Brian,

Good for you for sticking it out and not quitting during the swim. I almost did that last year and I’m so happy I didn’t give up.  In some ways it doesn’t surprise me that this wasn’t an “A” race for you. You seem to be set on Silverman and this race was just another training day for your log. If you look at your log you seemed to be overly concerned about making up for the lost training time.

Set your sights on Silverman. Do a proper taper, plan your race and stick to it. I bet you’ll meet your goals with no problems.

Edited by acv 2010-10-12 8:34 AM

2010-10-12 1:48 PM

User image

Master
Goodyear, AZ

Great race report! I think there probably was a lot of competition out there, people here are itching to race since TTL cancelled Nathans.

This was a great training experience for Silverman. Get ready for that kick butt in NV!

2010-10-13 12:49 PM

User image

Veteran
Great job!!! Keep up the hard work - nice to read about your progress & race experience!  Hope to see you @ silverman.
2010-10-13 4:05 PM

User image

Expert
Tempe
Silver member
Every race is a learning experience that you can build on. Next time you have to race in choppy and windy conditions, you will be able to look back at this race and say, "I did it then, I can do it now!" This race made you stronger for Silverman and other future races. Congrats and great job!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Carlos O'Brien's Prospector Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed