View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Pinehurst, North Carolina
United States
Total Time = 3h 42m 11s
Overall Rank = 128/158
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 17/22
Pre-race routine:

Had protein powder, 1/2 banana, and a bit of peanut butter.
Event warmup:

Did a little swimming to get acclimated to the water.
Swim
  • 33m 41s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 03s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was a very typical swim for me. Just plugged along until I got back to the pier.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing other than train more to improve speed.
Transition 1
  • 04m 13s
Comments:

Transition was longer than usual because it was so cold. I swam in my bra top and tri shorts (under wetsuit of course). Got wetsuit off and dried off a bit before putting on my dry uniform jersey. Put on socks today too which I don't normally do. I put on my helmet, then took it back off to put a headband around my ears (hate cold air in my ears). Grabbed sunglasses and garmin and wondered out loud if I wanted my jacket. The guy beside me said best to take it because you can't come back for it. So I put on my jacket and while I was at it decided to put on my gloves which did not go on very easily. Finally I grabbed my bike and headed for the mount.
What would you do differently?:

I was very glad that I had dressed warm because the wild chill was quite cold on the bike. I don't regret taking extra time to dress, but I could have been more organized and faster about doing it.

This will help me be prepared for B2B which will have a very cold T1.
Bike
  • 1h 54m 24s
  • 30 miles
  • 15.73 mile/hr
Comments:

I just did this course last week at 18 mph, so I was expecting a decent time. But I've been dealing with knee issues right up until this race, so I was worried. I even had acupuncture done on both Wednesday and Friday in hopes that I could do the race pain free. But the hills took a toll because I had to do a lot of standing and pulling up on the pedals, and the pulling motion seemed to really aggravate it. Eventually, I was having sharp pains go up my left leg and found myself compensating by spinning the right leg and letting the left leg rest. This was very discouraging and really slowed me down.

The pain was pretty constant and I became dishearted and pretty much decided that there was no way I'd be able to run on it afterwards. I was barely getting through the bike. I was thinking I would have to DNF at this point rather than risk making it worse knowing that I have B2B right around the corner.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

At this point, I had no intention of going out on the run so I walked to my rack. I leaned down to feel my knee and see if it felt swollen and rub on it. I looked at my garmin and found that I had left it on run rather than bike (eyeroll). Then I packed up my things. I put on my running shoes just to have regular shoes on.

I was feeling really pretty down. I've never had a DNF, and I was like now what? ...guess I just turn in my chip then wait for the others to return. By now that little voice started poking at me and telling me maybe I should head out and at least try. Maybe my knee isn't too bad to run on. I'm looking down at my run number belt and it is saying, "ah.. common!" And I was hearing names called at the finish line.

Then.... right on cue, tall guy shows up and asks what was wrong. I told him I was having knees issues and not sure I could handle the hilly course. He agreed about it being hilly but then he said, "but it's a beautiful day out there and you don't have to run the whole thing." And I thought, he's right, I don't. It doesn't have to be all or nothing. I should at least try and if I end up walking back then so be it. At least I have a finish time rather than a DNF. So I grabbed my run belt and headed for the run out.
Run
  • 1h 00m 42s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 09m 46s  min/mile
Comments:

I felt ok heading out and decided to just keep a steady jog. At this point it's just a training run and I didn't want to risk further injury to my knee on the downhills. Actually, the run didn't feel too bad. I had a dull constant ache, but it was not the sharp pains that I experienced on the bike. I ran the whole course albeit slow; but at least I didn't have to stop to walk. And I guess that fact that I was going so slow made the hills seem not so bad.
Post race
Warm down:

Collapsed on the ground. Normally, I would walk it off, but I really needed to get off that knee.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Knee pain.

The good news is that my trusted chiroprator was there (he is a triathlete). He saw me on the ground and came over to check on me. I told him about my arthritis and he asked how I knew that's what it was. I said I was diagnosed by a doctor. He asked if I had X-rays done and I said no, the doctor just put his hand on my knee and told me to straighten it. It made crunching/grinding noises and I was told it was arthritis and put on NAIDS. Then I told him it wasn't working and that I have resorted to acupunture.

My chirpractor wasn't buying it AT ALL and suggested many other correctable possibilites. I asked if he could do the X-rays and help me and he said he could. So he told me to bring my meds and supplements and that had would do the X-rays and check me for imbalances and tell me what to do. He was VERY encouraging and I felt much better after that. So I'll make an appointment first thing Monday morning.

And if this turns out not to be arthritis and I've been taking NAIDS all this time, well.... we shall see.

Last updated: 2010-04-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:33:41 | 1640 yards | 02m 03s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/22
Overall: 0/158
Performance: Average
Suit: Votex Full
Course: Out and back rectangle.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 71F / 22C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 04:13
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:54:24 | 30 miles | 15.73 mile/hr
Performance:
Clockwise hilly loop.
Wind: Strong
Course: Hilly loop.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:00:42 | 06.21 miles | 09m 46s  min/mile
Performance:
Course: Hilly loop.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2010-10-16 8:07 PM

User image

Expert
, North Carolina
Subject: Pinehurst Olympic Triathlon

2010-10-16 8:46 PM
in reply to: #3156050

User image

Fayetteville
Subject: RE: Pinehurst Triathlon
Congrats on finishing! I can't imagine how hard it was standing by your bike and deciding to put up with the pain for another hour. It would've been so easy to just turn in your chip and wait by the finish for us. But you didn't... 'cause your awesome like that! I am proud of you and even with a bum knee, you still put up some respectable numbers.
Hope your chiropractor can fix you quick so you can get back to enjoying this little thing we do
2010-10-17 5:39 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Hattiesburg
Way to go for hanging in there on such a tough day with so much pain.  I can completely relate to the knee pain.  I think the chiropractor is a great idea, let me know how it goes and what he thinks.  Ask if he has Cold Laser, it worked wonders for me!
2010-10-17 7:19 AM
in reply to: #3156217

User image

Master
Chapel Hill, NC
wow, great race report, Maria! Sorry about the knee pain, but awesome job htfu'ing. Glad you saw "Tall Guy" in T2. Keep us posted on the chiro/knee sutff.
2010-10-17 7:42 AM

User image

Expert
Wilmington, NC
sorry to hear about the knee out there.
Get yourself healed up, don't do any rash training things at this point b/c B2B is just around the corner.
Take care.
2010-10-17 2:43 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh
*shudder* I raced Pinehurst last year with a messed up knee...I know kinda how you may have felt...

Way to finish it through tho! Heal quickly!

2010-10-18 4:13 AM

User image

Veteran
Greensboro,NC
Yery inspirational race report. Hope the knee heals quickly!

John
2010-10-18 8:14 AM

User image

Veteran
WICHITA FALLS, Texas

Way to go for sticking with it Maria!! Never quit!! The sad part is.... You still beat my times!!!! Congratulations and way to go!

2010-10-18 1:40 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
What a great way to finish the day! 
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Pinehurst Olympic Triathlon Rss Feed