United States
Ironman North America
61F / 16C
Total Time = 10h 18m 32s
Overall Rank = 140/2361
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 26/238
Pre-race routine:

this is my 6th IM. we didn't 'race' the IM last year, so it had been a while since i raced that hard for that long, but it had been a very good year up to that point and i was ready to go.

a group of us doing the race as well as family and friends all made the trek to tempe, az. it is so much fun racing with lots of friends and makes the whole experience so much more enjoyable. we were missing heidi from the race list since she took the year off for the birth of her son, but she was still there to share in the experience. she even made up 'team sharkie' shirts for everyone that were just awesome. we're all looking forward to having her back next year though.

we arrived thu. night, checked in friday, and dropped off the bikes and bags on saturday. there was the usual short workouts to keep the legs loose, but it was mostly just a lot of sitting around and checking weather reports. as usual, i was ready to get the race going and tired of all the waiting.
Event warmup:

it was supposed to be a fast course but although the temps were just about perfect for race day, the winds were really picking up. sis dropped tim, laura, k, and i at the start and me met up with nate and taco.
we did the usual pre-morning set up and then got together to get our wetsuits on. somehow we always end up next to the porta-potties, but it seems to work for us every year, so why change now! we got together for a few photos, bagged our morning clothes, and headed to the water.

you had to jump in and swim a decent distance to get up to the start line. we somehow found each other in one spot, but i was second guessing that starting location. i slid wide left so i'd have open water to my outside, but immediately a kayaker starting yelling to us. "this are will be a nightmare. you do not want to be here!" i didn't see how it was a bad location, but decided to trust him and slid back to the right again.

it was a beautiful morning (http://twitpic.com/38vmqn). listening to the national anthem from the water is a pretty amazing experience. i didn't have a lot of time to ponder things though as the cannon always catches me off guard and BOOM, we were off.
Swim
  • 1h 07m 26s
  • 3862 meters
  • 01m 45s / 100 meters
Comments:

i felt good right from the start. i was not getting beaten up either. it was pretty crowded though, so i had a tough time finding a rhythm. i'll take strong and out of rhythm over tired and alone any day though.

i made the first turn buoy in 30:22 and was feeling great. i thought to myself that i could pick it up a bit on the return and in addition to being under my 1:05 goal, i might actually break an hour. about 5 minutes into the return trip however, i remembered that the swim back is much longer than the swim out. crap. oh well, nothing i can do now. i was not going to make or ruin my day on the swim at this point, so i just held steady and pushed on to the exit.
What would you do differently?:

not much. i could have swam better or harder or straighter or drafted more, but i think 1:07 is about where i was at that day.
Transition 1
  • 05m 1s
Comments:

i got out of the water and ran into t1. i wasn't completely freezing, but i wasn't all there either. since i wasn't changing clothes, i decided to use the chairs outside the tent, but i spent ~10 seconds just staring at the stuff i spilled out of my bag. finally i snapped out of it and started getting myself together.

5:01 isn't amazing, but it's solid since it includes suntan lotion, arm warmers, aero helmet, etc. i'll take it.

nothing.
Bike
  • 5h 43m 10s
  • 112 miles
  • 19.58 mile/hr
Comments:

the bike is where i was going to make or break my race. my stretch goal was to break 10 hours and if i was going to hit that i needed to do it on the bike. my goal was to get off the bike between 6:30 and 6:40 (including swim, t1, and t2).

it was a little cold, but i was ready to ride hard and felt fine. i didn't use any computer and just rode as hard as i thought i could sustain for 112 miles. i didn't know where any of our friends were out of the water, but with the out and back course, i was looking forward to seeing everyone. my eating plan was most of a gu from a flask every :20 minutes except for each of the 3 mid-lap turn around points where i would eat a mini cliff bar instead. the plan worked perfectly with the gu providing me most of my energy and the clif bars keeping me from feeling too hungry. (i actually would have upped the clif bars to every 3rd feeding if i had them and will definitely make that change next time).

the profile for the course was slightly up on the way out and a slight downhill grade on the way back, so at the first turn, i was a bit off my overall goal pace, but that was to be expected. i also wasn't going all out yet, so there was still room to push. i knew it was a problem though when i actually made the turn and felt the wind. it smacked me right in the face and was forecasted to get worse as the day went on.

i was still fresh and still had a few gears left, so i pushed on without too much concern. i made it back to town ready to take on lap two. i saw my family and sis told me i was 11 minutes down on tim, but i didn't know what his swim was and he is a great cyclist, so i wasn't too concerned. i realized i was going to make up time on the way out rather than on the way back, so i made sure to keep pushing through the tail wind sections as well.

i made it to the turn of the second loop and was happy to see i was actually faster than lap 1 and got some time back. the wind was even worse now though and it took a lot to push through it back to town. it was starting to take a bit physically, but mentally i was still ok. my time when i hit town was almost identical to lap 1. i was a bit slower than what i hoped for and i was informed tim now had 22 minutes on me, but it was still decent considering the wind. i was happy ti was having such a great ride and i was able to see k, craig, and nate all out there. i still hadn't seen laura, but i assumed she couldn't be too far with her riding ability.

i started the 3rd loop and again enjoyed the tailwind. i finally saw laura who was hot on my tail. i was hoping she would eventually bridge the gap and give me some motivation. making the 3rd turn, i was happy knowing i was on my last ever stretch of that road, but it wasn't going to be an easy ride.

the winds had gotten ridiculous. it was a sustained head/cross wind that felt like you were being held in place. it was enough to sap all my strength trying to hold a decent pace. then when i would finally settle in a bit, a bad gust would throw me around enough to really piss me off and sap my motivation. at one point i was literally screaming out loud at the wind dropping numerous f-bombs. then the rain came and i got pretty down on that stretch. i felt the time just slipping away. it was the least enjoyable ride i have ever been on (taking the honor away from another super windy ride i did in p'ville with tim and ernie). i must have had a pretty good ride out, because my time doesn't show it, but i basically limped into town. i can appreciate it now, but when my sister called out that i was 33 minutes down to tim, i wondered what the point of even telling me was!

note - i realize this sounds pretty down. looking at the ride as a whole, i'll take it. i am fine with the way it turned out. i just mentally would have liked to have held it together for more than 5/6th of the ride. i'll never stop wondering what that ride could have been on 11/20/2010 or 11/22/2010

not sure. i just mentally can't stand riding in the wind.
Transition 2
  • 02m 51s
Comments:

i was so ready to be off the bike. there are 2 finish lines in an ironman (3 if you are a nervous swimmer). when you hand off your bike, you know that making it to the line is now 100% under your control. it's a great feeling and opens up a whole new tank of energy.

i grabbed my bag, and got everything together quickly. i decided to change socks and re-apply sunscreen from the volunteers, but it was still a good transition.

nothing.
Run
  • 3h 20m 4s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 07m 38s  min/mile
Comments:

i started the run needing a 3:02 marathon to break 10 hours. i knew it wasn't possible, but i didn't come to arizona to jog, so i was going to race until i couldn't race any more.

fortunately, the lead pros were just starting their 3rd loop as i started my 1st, so all of the sudden a motorcycle and road bike cam riding past me on the sidewalk. i jumped behind them and took my turn at the front of the race. that slight mix of drafting/pacing/excitement is a definite advantage. i was able to hold timo bracht off for over 4 miles as i played with the motorcycle and chatted with his lead rider. after that hellish ride, i was having some of the most fun i've ever had in a race.

eventually i got passed by the top 3 and they went on to finish. unfortunately i still had 2 loops to go at that point. i slowed a bit and had to cut back on the amount of gu i took in at each feeding, but i kept the eat every :20 plan in place. there was plenty of stuff to look forward to and keep me pushing. just make it back to see your family... just make it to the next feeding... just make it back to that fun aid station set up like a jail with fake police and girls in skimpy outfits... you know. the usual thoughts.

i ticked off the miles and was able to actually reel in tim and anthony on the last loop. i didn't care about passing them at that point, but it was nice to get a chance to chat for a minute or two. i was also able to find a few pacers late in the run to keep me going. i traded pulls with a final pacer for the last 3-5 miles. we came around to the finish turn and i thanked him and shook his hand. he had done a majority of the work on the windiest sections, so i let him go ahead. he immediately pulled up lame with a hamstring issue, but was able to work it out and cruise into the finish.

i came down the chute and saw my family and friends screaming. i decided to enjoy it this time and walked the last 10 feet. it was a nice stroll down that magical carpet of the im finish. the winds took away my shot at sub-10, but it couldn't stop me from a solid pr and an incredible run.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/photos/get-photo.asp?p...

nothing. fairy tale run.
Post race
Warm down:

had a good cry on the massage table. my entire body was 100% spent. i had nothing left and everything hurt. after the massage and some food, i recovered fairly well and enjoyed the rest of the evening. i talked to my family, cheered all our friends on, and we grabbed a few beers at the finish line party. seeing kristin have a stellar race and be able to enjoy the finish line festivities was amazing.
everyone made it in and put our group at 34 for 34 at the im distance. it's amazing to see how far we have come.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/photos/get-photo.asp?p...

Event comments:

great race as always. good course, organization, etc. volunteers were just amazing. there was a little bit of a debacle with the lake and the practice swims, but overall, it was a great race. you get what you pay for i guess.

Last updated: 2010-04-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:07:26 | 3862 meters | 01m 45s / 100meters
Age Group: 61/238
Overall: 449/2361
Performance: Average
Suit: Farmer John
Course: 1 loop up the lake and then back past the start to the exit point.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Shot
Water temp: 61F / 16C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 05:01
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
05:43:10 | 112 miles | 19.58 mile/hr
Age Group: 60/238
Overall: 398/2361
lap 1 - 1:52:08 lap 2 - 1:52:49 lap 3 - 1:58:31
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: 3 laps of an out and back stretch. tail/cross wind and slight uphill on the way out and then head/cross wind and slight downhill on the return.
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:51
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
03:20:04 | 26.2 miles | 07m 38s  min/mile
Age Group: 7/238
Overall: 51/2361
Performance: Good
7:16 6:46 6:36 6:43* 6:43* 7:20* 7:20* 7:21 7:36 7:59 7:39 7:43 7:38 7:59* 7:59* 8:25 7:11 7:55 8:03 8:08 7:59* 7:59* 8:42 7:49 7:48 9:30
Course: 3 laps of a crazy figure 8 type course. a mix of flat sections with a few overpasses and 1 or 2 climbs on each loop.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-11-26 1:56 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northern Virginia
Subject: Ironman Arizona

2010-11-26 6:28 PM
in reply to: #3226710

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southeast, PA
Subject: RE: Ironman Arizona
Congrats on a great race and PR. Swim and bike were solid and that run flat out sick. U prob lost 10+ min due to lost training with all the house stuff and moving.
2010-11-28 7:20 PM

User image

Niskayuna, NY
fantastic race; you keep getting better with each one.  although the wind on the bike tried your patience, you rocked the run and had a great time doing so.  congrats again!
2010-11-29 9:25 AM

User image

Master
Reston, VA
Superb race - knew you had a great race like this coming.
2010-11-29 6:25 PM

User image

Master
SMIBville
that's a great freaking race!
2010-11-29 6:32 PM

User image

Expert
Herndon VA
Great race, Brad!  That was an awesome run after that bike.

2010-11-29 10:20 PM

Champion
Nice job Brad, especially in the wind....that was definitely no picnic out there.  At least you had the cheering squad backing you up! 

2010-12-06 6:25 PM
in reply to: #3229730

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northern Virginia
hell yeah! amazing cheering squad. and sloan looks better than i did out there!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Arizona Rss Feed