General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Perhaps a silly question about taking a break Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-12-13 6:53 AM

User image

Elite
Subject: Perhaps a silly question about taking a break
So, this Friday the 17th-Thursday the 23rd my family and I will be on the road.  My first instinct is to pack all my workout gear, running clothes, etc.  But then the thought crept into my mind...maybe, just maybe, I should take some time off...forget about the running/workouts and just enjoy sleeping in and not scheduling anything.  We will be at Disneyland so there will be plenty of walking, walking, walking.  But then I think my running and workouts are my 'me' time and will I be crabby if I don't fit it in?  Or, will I come back from vacation with renewed zest?  I start HIM training Jan 1 so I know what my schedule will be like for the next several months.  Anyone have any helpful opinions?  Am I overthinking this?

2010-12-13 6:59 AM
in reply to: #3246317

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Virginia
Subject: RE: Perhaps a silly question about taking a break
Pack some of it but don't get yourself down if you sleep in some, most, or all mornings? I'd hate to be without my tennis shoes if I really wanted a run, but I'd try to not stress about it if I didn't have time. 
2010-12-13 7:09 AM

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
There's nothing wrong with taking a bit of a break.... at least in terms of feeling like you have to get specific workouts in day to day. I say pack your running/workout gear. If you feel like heading out for a run or hitting the hotel gym sometime while you're away, you're good to go, but I wouldn't feel obligated to get any specific workouts in. Just do whatever you might feel like, and if you don't feel like doing a single run or workout of any kind while you're on vacation, that's fine too.
2010-12-13 7:09 AM

Veteran
Wish I had this decision to make, Disney or not running for a week! But seriously, if you are on a forum asking this then there must be a little voice inside saying what the proper thing to do. Leave the shoes and run clothes at home and enjoy your family and a great vacation! You will be that much fresher come Jan 1. Have a great time!
2010-12-13 7:39 AM

User image

Payson, AZ
I have a friend who's wife pushes him out the door so he'll go ride.  Otherwise he becomes unbearable.  There's nothing wrong with skipping your workouts or not planning anything and taking a break.  But I'd bring the running stuff in case your family wants to kill you.    Just cause you brought it doesn't mean you have to use it
2010-12-13 7:42 AM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
If it were me I'd pack the running gear but play it by ear once I'm there.

2010-12-13 7:54 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
This is silly but....

I always pack running shoes and a tri suit. That way there's no need for extra workout stuff. It would be sad if you found a wonderful place to swim/bike/run and couldn't because you didn't have shoes/clothes for it.  I try not to disrupt family vacations, but if I can work it in, great (i.e.swim at the beach while family lounges, get up early a few days and go for an easy "exploratory" run). I think of it as one more way to enjoy a cool location, not training for something.  You'll have plenty of time for training later.
2010-12-13 8:14 AM

User image

Veteran
Houston, TX
I agree with the pack it, do it if you want to, but don't stress about it if you don't.

When we go on vacation I make it an option to get in workouts, but I don't freak out if I don't. We went to Vegas last June and I brought all my gear. We did rent bikes and ride around out at Red Rock one day, and I had looked up places to swim and go for runs, but that just didn't happen and it wasn't a big deal.  We went to Costa Rica in July and I brought my running shoes, but we were so busy with hiking, kayaking, rafting, repelling, etc. that I didn't bother running. But its always nice to have them just in case.
2010-12-13 9:39 AM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

If you don't take the gear, and you end up agitated, irritable, etc. you'll have to go buy more to get a workout in (I'll assume killing your family isn't really an option). 

If you take the gear and don't use it, so what?  In fact, you might get a bit more satisfaction actively ignoring the running stuff in the hotel closet. 

It is OK to take a week off, especially for something like a family vacation.  You just ran a half-marathon, and you're about to embark on a 5-month journey towards a HIM. 

If you do run, even a 20-30 minute run might be enough to keep you at ease without disrupting family plans.  It's also possible to use those short runs to scout out things near the hotel.  (I like running in new cities as a way to explore.

2010-12-13 11:56 AM

User image

Regular
I would say back your running gear but make no plans.

This is what I'm doing when I go to australia (although I have already looked for and found a running route frmo my hotel!)
2010-12-13 1:17 PM

User image

Elite
Aaaah...the wisdom to be found on these boards.  I will nonchalantly pack running stuff...if the opportunity/desire hits...I'll be off and running.  If not, I'll be content to hang with Mickey and the gang!  Perfect solution!

2010-12-13 1:57 PM
in reply to: #3246398

User image

Champion
Calgary
Hot Runner - 2010-12-13 6:54 AM

This is silly but....

I always pack running shoes and a tri suit. That way there's no need for extra workout stuff. It would be sad if you found a wonderful place to swim/bike/run and couldn't because you didn't have shoes/clothes for it.  I try not to disrupt family vacations, but if I can work it in, great (i.e.swim at the beach while family lounges, get up early a few days and go for an easy "exploratory" run). I think of it as one more way to enjoy a cool location, not training for something.  You'll have plenty of time for training later.

I agree, I often bring my workout clothes but maybe on get one or 2 workouts in. I find the desire to train wanes when on vacation and I don't really feel guilty about it, which is a bonus.
2010-12-13 9:17 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Harbor City/Torrance/Carson
I agree with the posts above and do take a break but be prepared just in case...  Nothing wrong with slipping in a 30min run when everyone's sleeping soundly in their cushy pillow top beds.

I myself learned that today.  I went snowboarding yesterday and I am pretty much sore all over today.  Training day calls for 1hr swim.  I went for 30mins and the body said "No way Jose..."  It's a good thing that was the only workout for the day although I was tempted to do a half hour "easy" run 30mins ago...
2010-12-13 9:31 PM
in reply to: #3246984

User image

Master
Gold Coast
ingleshteechur - 2010-12-14 4:17 AM Aaaah...the wisdom to be found on these boards.  I will nonchalantly pack running stuff...if the opportunity/desire hits...I'll be off and running.  If not, I'll be content to hang with Mickey and the gang!  Perfect solution!

Just please don't feel guilty if you don't run - just because you have your running stuff doesn't mean you have to go running. If everything comes back unused then thats ok too - just have fun!
2010-12-13 9:53 PM

Am I overthinking this?

Maybe. Getting in a few runs while traveling can be both stressful and invigorating/interesting. Stressful in that it may take time away from the family. Solution: get up early and get it done first thing in the morning. You don't have to run EVERY day - 3 days out of the week would be good. It's also invigorating/interesting, because you are running in a strange place. Some of my most memorable runs have been in the most far flung corners of this planet - just heading out for an early morning run and exploring the local area!
2010-12-14 2:03 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Perhaps a silly question about taking a break Rss Feed