General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Kansas 70.3 : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 20

2011-01-14 8:37 AM
in reply to: #3298242

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe, KS
Subject: RE: Ironman Kansas 70.3 : Official Thread
I used the free HIM plan from BT last year for this race as well and it worked well for me. I would agree with Lisa and use some of the training sessions to hit a mileage or distance goal and not necessarily time, especially with the bike.

The plan is fairly balanced for all three sports. I myself am a strong swimmer and I didn't always find it necessary to do every prescribed swim, so I would occasionally swap a workout with another.

Something to think about with the free BT plan, or any other that uses time instead of distance, is that each prescribed time will be different for each person. For example, a 45 min run is going to cover different distance for someone running at 7:30 pace vs. someone running at 10:30 pace. This caused me some confusion, was I running too much or not enough? Either way, you ultimately need to be prepared to do each prescribed distance of the race.

2011-01-14 9:01 AM
in reply to: #3298242

User image

Veteran
Waterloo, IL
I agree with the previous reples as well.  I have used the free sprint and HIM.  I feel both prepared me fairly well.  I would definetly make sure you are getting in the distances, not just the time.  As noted, a slower athlete, such as myself, needs to make sure they are getting in the distances as well. 
Good luck in your training.
2011-01-14 10:39 AM
in reply to: #3267289

User image

Regular
Indiana
Thank you all for your feedback. I think I really like the BT 20 week schedule. I've tweaked it a bit....just switching around days but keeping the same time/distances. I come from a swimming background so that will be fairly easy for me. I can do the mileage on the bike but I am not very fast at all. And the running is my weakest leg. I started running in August and couldn't even go 90 seconds when I started....I'm now up to around 8 miles. I'm really excited to do this race. It sounds like most of you are quite experienced in the HIM. I will definitely be looking to you all for some advice the next few months. Especially as I start to buy equipment for this race. Thanks so much.
2011-01-14 12:06 PM
in reply to: #3299469

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
Looks like the 20 week plan starts on Monday (Jan 17).  WOW how time flies.

It's ON like dONkey kONg, whoohooo!
2011-01-14 12:46 PM

User image

Regular
Indiana
OMG!!! Is it Monday (17th)? I thought it was the 24th!! I better go back and figure it out. Can someone verify? Geez, wouldn't that be something if I started it out on the wrong day.
2011-01-14 12:55 PM
in reply to: #3299739

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
reecealan - 2011-01-14 12:06 PM Looks like the 20 week plan starts on Monday (Jan 17).  WOW how time flies.

It's ON like dONkey kONg, whoohooo!

You're a week early - the race is on June 12.
20-week plan would start on Jan. 24.

2011-01-14 2:03 PM
in reply to: #3299893

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS

Thanks Lisa,

Better early that late, right? Smile

2011-01-18 3:34 PM

User image

New user

Ready for my Third time, i love this race! Also getting ready for Ironman Louisville, has anyone done the Louisville Ironman and if so how does the bike course compare to kKnsas thanks!!
2011-01-18 10:39 PM

Extreme Veteran
Looking at this one or New Orleans. This gets me a little more time to prep (compared to the 10 -ish wks that i'll have for NO at this point). Sounds like a good course with a few hills but shouldn't be anything i'm not used to here in TN.. Any good flat sections to just put the head down and hammer?

/yoda voice
hmm peaked is my interest...
/yoda voice.
2011-01-19 8:37 AM
in reply to: #3307884

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe, KS
I've rode the course three times and would say there a few flat sections, but nothing extended and nothing that I would characterize as allowing you to put your head down and hammer (i.e. long stretch of flat road). The only exception might be for the back end of the course before you head back for the dam and into the park and the two times you cross the mile and half dam. Lots of rollers.

Check out the course profile HERE.
2011-01-19 9:21 AM

User image

Regular
Indiana
That is one scary looking bike course. I have heard it is pretty challenging. Is the run fairly hilly too? I've heard good things about this race so I'm excited to do my first HIM there. Now if I could just find some hills here in Indianapolis that I could practice on.

2011-01-19 9:41 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Agree w/ Barkeep... there are more than "a few" hills but if you're used to riding hilly courses you shouldn't have any issues. Just beware for the one around mile 50 coming up the dam. Save up a little for that

Debbie I'm the same way, I live in the FLAT part of Kansas (as opposed to where the race is held) and have to drive at least 45 minutes to get to any hills like there are in Lawrence.

Oh and the run is flat except for one hill.
You can see it pretty clearly on the run course profile.

Edited by lisac957 2011-01-19 9:42 AM
2011-01-19 10:10 AM

User image

Regular
Indiana
Thanks Lisa. I just checked out the run course. I think I can manage that one. The bike course is the one I'm really worried about. Since we are talking about bikes I've got a couple of questions. Can anyone suggest good clipless pedals. I've been looking for about 6 months to purchase some and when I think I have found one I like, I find another one. I had a friend recommend Speedplay. Any others out there? Also, has anyone put clip on aerobars on their road bike? Thoughts on that too.
2011-01-19 1:08 PM
in reply to: #3308657

User image

Veteran
Waterloo, IL

I moved to shimano spd-sl pedals last year.  I wanted the larger pedal due to foot size and comfort. 
I also added a clip on aerobar to my road bike last year.  Took a couple of rides to get used to the balancing, but I find that I really enjoy it.  I have been practicing with the position on the trainer through the winter.  They are profile design, older model, but fully functional.  I have only used them in one sprint race, so no real race experience yet.

2011-01-19 2:06 PM

User image

Veteran
Kansas
Debbie, I use the Look Keo peddles.  The real issue when choosing a clip-in, is the amount of float each has.  Float is the degree to which you can move your foot without "clicking out."  You absolutely want some degree of float as our legs do not mechanically move straight up and down like pistons, but our hips, knees ... etc. will contribute to some movement.  Speedplays are known for having a higher degree of float, I think around 14% where the Keo, and all the knock-offs that just the same, have around 7%.  One isn't better than the other, just different.  My best recommendation would be to go to your LBS and have them show you a few and have you hop on a trainer so they can see how your peddle motion is and whether you would benefit or be more comfortable with higher or lesser degree of float. 

Prior to my tri bike, I had clip-on aero bars for my road bike, and they were fine.  You may have to play with your seat positioning a bit (likely moving it forward), but is a fine way to get a bit more aero on a roadie before completely moving over to a tri bike. 
2011-01-19 6:26 PM

User image

Regular
Indiana
Thank you both for the information. Very helpful. I actually got clip on aero bars for Christmas (Profile Design T2). I had read a review about aero bars being unsafe so I got a little scared. Most of the reviews however have been really good. I just wanted to get some other opinions as well. I'm really in need of the pedals so thanks for that info. I did know about the float. I hear the Speedplay Zero's you can actually adjust the float. Still not sure about those. I will take a look and the ones you both mentioned. There is so much to purchase for a tri. I've done several sprint ones and I was perfectly fine with the equipment....or lack of equipment I had. (Did my first tri on a Mountain Bike. Will NEVER make that mistake again.) Now that I'm doing a HIM I figured I should purchase some equipment so I at least look like I know what I'm doing.

2011-01-20 5:13 PM

User image

newburgh
Signed up last week.  Excited!!!  first HIM and starting training program on Sunday.  Anyone here done the BT 1/2 Ironman Beginner?  If so, how did it work for you? 
 - Oops, went back and read previous post.  Saw everyone already commented on this question.  "First step, Read the Instruction"

Edited by hayes01 2011-01-20 5:17 PM
2011-01-20 8:44 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Welcome to the group, hayes! Where is newburgh?

Debbie I ride on Speedplays but mainly because I have a bum knee and the salesperson highly recommended them for the float. Plus being able to clip in no matter what way the pedal is flipped is pretty cool. Lots of pedals you have to flip them right side up, but Speedplays can be clipped in from either side. Something else to think about is if you do a lot of spin classes at a gym, those bikes are pretty standard fitted with "SPD" pedals, so if you go that route you'll also be able to use your bike shoes in spin class. Seems kind of trivial, but I do a ton of spinning in the off season and kinda wish I had that pedal system.
2011-01-21 7:59 AM
in reply to: #3312460

User image

Veteran
Waterloo, IL
As I go to a few spin classes this time of year, I sometimes wish I had gotten the spd pedals. 

2011-01-21 9:09 AM

User image

Regular
Indiana
I have heard good things about Speedplay....and my friend swears by them. I hear they are very difficult to walk in though. Lisa, I like the fact that you can put your feet in on any side as well. That is definitely a reason I'm looking into them, as well as easy to get in and out of (plus the good reviews). I have considered the spinning classes but I maybe able to suffer through those for a couple months until it gets warmer out and I can get back outside. Thanks for the feedback.
2011-01-21 10:59 AM

User image

Veteran
Kansas
Hayes, I used the BT beginner 1/2 plan for my first KS 70.3 in 2009.  I thought it was a pretty good plan.  I moved up to the Intermediate last year and thought that one was even better. I think the general consensus on BT, is that it may be a bit swim heavy, and bike light, but that really depends on your background and which of the 3 disciplines are strength v. weakness.  For me, 3 swims between Mon-Fri were plenty so I cut out weekend swims and added a bit more onto some of the bike rides.  Good luck.

2011-01-21 12:17 PM

New user

Hutchinson, KS
Fellow triathletes,
Happy Friday!  I was in full fledged training for 2010 HIM Kansas through April and then lost the ambition when I started taking things into consideration.  I would like to reconsider this year, and some clarifications to my objections would be beneficial.  I've completed several sprints and 1 oly (open water) and would like to have a HIM finish in my bucket.  I live within 3 hrs of Lawrence (lived there for 5 yrs) so this HIM is the closest one for me.  Following are reasons (excuses) why I decided not to enter last year:

1. Cost.  Registration fee + wetsuit + bike shoes and pedals (I currently have toe straps).  Add it up and I was looking at $500 - $700 depending on which wetsuit and shoes/pedals I bought.  I know I can get by without shoes/pedals, but I also know my performance would be enhanced if I had them.  Is a wetsuit absolutely necessary from a temperature perspective?  I realize my performance would be enhanced by wetsuit buoyancy. 

2. Logistics.  I read about the long lines for check-in, the long walk with bike and gear to the T zone in 90+ heat, the difficulty for spectators (wife and 3 kids) to drive around trying to see their atheletes (unless they camped - we're not campers).  The run course is spectator friendly, but it sounded like swim and bike were not.

Add those two together and I simply talked myself out of it.  I'm trying to talk myself (and my family) back into it for 2011. 

I'm impressed by those of you who have completed the event multiple times.  There must be some magic to it.  Anyone up for selling me?  Thanks.
2011-01-21 1:10 PM
in reply to: #3313625

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Kansastriguy - 2011-01-21 12:17 PM Fellow triathletes,
Happy Friday!  I was in full fledged training for 2010 HIM Kansas through April and then lost the ambition when I started taking things into consideration.  I would like to reconsider this year, and some clarifications to my objections would be beneficial.  I've completed several sprints and 1 oly (open water) and would like to have a HIM finish in my bucket.  I live within 3 hrs of Lawrence (lived there for 5 yrs) so this HIM is the closest one for me.  Following are reasons (excuses) why I decided not to enter last year:

1. Cost.  Registration fee + wetsuit + bike shoes and pedals (I currently have toe straps).  Add it up and I was looking at $500 - $700 depending on which wetsuit and shoes/pedals I bought.  I know I can get by without shoes/pedals, but I also know my performance would be enhanced if I had them.  Is a wetsuit absolutely necessary from a temperature perspective?  I realize my performance would be enhanced by wetsuit buoyancy. 

2. Logistics.  I read about the long lines for check-in, the long walk with bike and gear to the T zone in 90+ heat, the difficulty for spectators (wife and 3 kids) to drive around trying to see their atheletes (unless they camped - we're not campers).  The run course is spectator friendly, but it sounded like swim and bike were not.

Add those two together and I simply talked myself out of it.  I'm trying to talk myself (and my family) back into it for 2011. 

I'm impressed by those of you who have completed the event multiple times.  There must be some magic to it.  Anyone up for selling me?  Thanks.

Hi there- I will give you my perspective...

Registration cost: Yep it's not cheap, however IM Kansas is not unique in that. Even non-MDot races like Redman are still $225 for a 70.3 entry fee.

Wetsuit: last year the day before the race they measured the water temp at 81 degrees, yet magically on race morning it was 77.5. You could DEFINITELY have done that race without a wetsuit. But seeing as each year is different, you can't count on the same circumstances. Heck you know from living in Kansas the weather will change daily and 20-30 degree temperature swings are not uncommon. The new temperature rule now is 76 degrees, so it very well might be non-wetsuit-legal. That one is a crap shoot, and impossible to predict.

Shoes/pedals: I've seen more than one person doing this race with cages. It can be done, but you probably know it's a hilly course, and being clipped in is a definite advantage. If you plan to stay in this sport for years to come, it's a valid investment.

Logistics: Any race of this size will have a line at check-in. That's part of doing a bigger race, is doing it with thousands of your closest friends. But for what it's worth, I did not wait AT ALL in line last year. I think the first year or two they had some issues with lines but looks like it was all sorted out. At least in my experience.

Yes there is a walk from T1 to T2. It's about half a mile. You do this walk once after you check your bike in the day before (T2 to T1 you can ride it to T2) and on race morning (T2 set up, then walk to T1 for start). Last year they gave you an option of putting everything from T1 in a provided bag, and race staff would transport all bags to the finish line. It wasn't a requirement, but it does eliminate that post-race walk in the 90-degree heat. Your choice.

Swim spectating: I'm not sure how a swim can be bad from a spectator's point of view? It's not like you can pick out your athlete in the water anyway. This race is on-par with others I have done - spectators lined up at the start, and at the swim exit finish chute. Not sure what more you could ask for.

Bike spectating: Yes this is difficult. You probably have to know the back roads in the area to get to spots on the bike course. But again, this is not unique to IM Kansas. Every HIM I've done is set up this way, so short of providing shuttles for spectators (which they did try one year), I'm not sure what would make this better.

Run spectating: Is first class. Even if you don't camp, your family can set up shop anywhere along the run course and see you multiple times.
2011-01-21 1:48 PM
in reply to: #3313625

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe, KS
Kansastriguy - 2011-01-21 12:17 PM Fellow triathletes, (...) Anyone up for selling me?  Thanks.

First off, cost is definitely a factor for this sport, especially at the start. However, if you're committed to the sport and love competing in triathlon some of your expenses now will pay off in future races. Wesuits, shoes, pedals, misc tri gear can all be used again. Plus, you don't have to go all out. I'm fairly cheap and I don't have a ton of flashy and expensive gear, yet I compete just fine with everyone else, including last year's race.

Second, it sounds like you're amplifying the negatives on the logistics. This is a big event (relatively speaking) so think of it as such in every aspect and be prepared for the things that come with it mentally, so that when you experience some of the difficulties, it's no big deal. As a first time HIM'er last year, I enjoyed the whole process of getting checked in, the big event atmosphere, and the people. Spectating for the race, especially the run is great (camper or no camper). The bike is going to be difficult to spectate no matter what race you do - that's just the nature of triathlon. Additionally, the race also provided shuttles for spectators to and from the parking areas.

This race is run very well. The organizers of this event do a top notch job. This should a main determinant on whether or not to do the race (outside of any physical limitations). This will be this race's 4th year, and it sounds like they've gotten better each year so far.

With that said, do you want to be sold on this race or just competing in a HIM distance race? There are numerous event choices for this distance of a race, many of which have the same detractors you listed, regardless of the venue. I would first decide if this is a distance you truly want to do.
2011-01-21 2:22 PM

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS

Since I've never done an event of this magnitude I'm going in with a very high amount of "tolerance" in terms of having to hurry up and wait.  But after reading many race reports, including Chrissy Wellington's BLOG, I knew I had to do this race.  When one of the worlds best triathletes of all time say how much they enjoyed the race venueatmosphere, I'm in!  O.K. maybe she didn't have to wait in line etc. but her RR would not have changed one bit had she been in line as long as the rest of us (my opinion).

I can understand the cost factor as I'm looking at the budget also.  I may not do an Oly or sprint due to finances leading up to this race, we'll see.  I'd love to get a wetsuit but that may not happen.  Luckily I've experience cold water before, used to live in SoCal, in summer the Pacific was 70-72, maybe colder, no wetsuit.

But I hear nothing but good about this race.

Bonus:  with a larger number of participants you get a larger number of cute little piglets to look at (like the one in Lisa's avatar) Wink, O.K. I have to stop reading posts by Yanti (TriAya) Laughing

Edited by reecealan 2011-01-21 2:23 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Kansas 70.3 : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 20