General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Kansas 70.3 : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 20

2011-01-22 10:08 AM
in reply to: #3267289

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Ironman Kansas 70.3 : Official Thread
never heard piglets used as a term of endearment..  i'll stick with pace booty..
should be signing up for this one this weekend, putting together the 2011 season schedule.. need something to keep my mind off of the 20 deg weather outside..

2011-01-25 5:24 PM

User image

Veteran
Kansas
Ok, its been quiet on here for a few days, so I will just throw something out.  For those that have done IMKS 70.3 before, when you are coming back across the dam on the way back in from the bike leg, is that not like the longest 1 + mile ever on a bike?  On the way out, its so early on I am still getting adjusted to being on the bike ... etc., but on the way back, no matter what the day, always feels like a head wind and like crossing a desert with the horizon never getting closer.  Some have said the turn back into the park and then to T2 is a long 3 miles because you feel like you are done when you reach the park entrance but have a bit more ways to go.  Anyway, my random thought for Tuesday. 
2011-01-25 10:08 PM

Extreme Veteran

having never done the race before i'll have to take your word for it..

2011-01-26 8:18 AM
in reply to: #3321355

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe, KS
cjkelly0729 - 2011-01-25 5:24 PM  For those that have done IMKS 70.3 before, when you are coming back across the dam on the way back in from the bike leg, is that not like the longest 1 + mile ever on a bike? 

It's only because after you climb that hill before the dam you feel like you deserve an easy, flat cruise.

Which, by the way, reminds me; does anyone else remember the athlete getting worked on by the EMS and ambulance on the dam coming back into the park? I remember thinking it was a strange location to have a bike accident, unless there was some sort of tangle up with another cyclist.
2011-01-26 12:11 PM

User image

Regular
Indiana
Well now I just couldn't be more excited about this bike leg. Thanks guys.
2011-01-26 12:39 PM
in reply to: #3322108

User image

Regular
Barkeep - 2011-01-26 8:18 AM
cjkelly0729 - 2011-01-25 5:24 PM  For those that have done IMKS 70.3 before, when you are coming back across the dam on the way back in from the bike leg, is that not like the longest 1 + mile ever on a bike? 

It's only because after you climb that hill before the dam you feel like you deserve an easy, flat cruise.

Which, by the way, reminds me; does anyone else remember the athlete getting worked on by the EMS and ambulance on the dam coming back into the park? I remember thinking it was a strange location to have a bike accident, unless there was some sort of tangle up with another cyclist.

I remember the ambulance and athlete.  I thought the same thing.  But I also felt sorry for the athlete with only a few more miles to go on the bike.

2011-01-27 11:52 AM
in reply to: #3313381

User image

newburgh
thank you.  swimming three times of week is plenty for me.  I need the bike and run more so.
2011-01-27 1:21 PM

User image

Veteran
Waterloo, IL
It appears that I should keep that hill at the end of my training route, in prep for this race.Tongue out
2011-01-28 2:23 PM
in reply to: #3313775

New user

Hutchinson, KS
LisaC957, barkeep and reecealan - thank you for your generous insight and detailed answers to my questions.  I am thoroughly impressed by the vast source of knowledge at this site.  Love it!  You have validated many of the thoughts I've had in my attempts to answer my own questions.  It makes a huge difference to see the perspectives from those who have experience in the event as opposed to my theorizing.  I have likely put myself through more agony wondering about all the details than I would completing the event!  It's now up to me to sell myself and my family to enter.  Bottom line is, as HIM's go, Kansas is as good a venue as any.  I simply needed to gain a better understanding of the "quirks" that come with HIM and accept them for what they are.

Barkeep, your final comments hit a chord with me.  "With that said, do you want to be sold on this race or just competing in a HIM distance race? There are numerous event choices for this distance of a race, many of which have the same detractors you listed, regardless of the venue. I would first decide if this is a distance you truly want to do."

Great point. I have completed 10 marathons and countless 1/2 marathons, 10ks and sprint tris, thus running has been my emphasis. I have completed only one OLY and it was difficult for me. Swimming is my weakness.  I panicked during the start of the OLY swim to the point of treading water to catch my breath and thinking I was cooked.  It was a disturbing experience as I cannot recall any other time in my life when I panicked to the point of feeling helpless.  Somehow, I psyched myself through it and finished the swim with a miserable time (bottom 10).  I felt great on the bike and likely expended too much energy in attempt to make up for the lousy swim.  The run suffered as a result. After all that, the 2:29 finish time told me, with proper training, I should go for an HIM. So, my biggest challenge with HIM distance will be to relax in the water (probably without a wetsuit), then carefully pace and nourish myself on the bike (and, to lisac957's point, I will finally buy clipless shoes) so I have plenty of reserve left for the run. 

2011-01-31 9:23 AM

User image

Veteran
Cabot, Arkansas

This will be my first Half IM as well.  Looking forward to it.  Not sure who might be Military, but I got a killer rate on a room at the SpringHill Suites in Lawrence for just 70.00 a night and the rooms are normally over 140.00.

SOOO looking forward to this

2011-01-31 10:20 AM

User image

Regular
Indiana
My first HIM as well, pitbulzz and I couldn't be more excited. I need to get a room as well. I think I may stay in a hotel on Friday night but then camp on Saturday. Trying to decide.

How's everyone's training coming along?

2011-01-31 10:33 AM

User image

Veteran
Iowa
Second that on the ride across the dam after the hill.  I didn't think I was ever going to get across, plus the fact that I was going like 6 mph up the hill to get to the dam.  For those that will be racing this the first time, make every attempt to try and either ride the course before the race or at least this hill or try and get to the preview weekend.  It made my race day bike effort a little more enjoyable knowing what to expect, especially coming back up the dam. 

Great race, last year's temperatures could have been a little lower for my taste, but hey, I finished the race.  The ice bath at the end of the race was great, even though the water was a brown / yellowish color.  I didn't care!!!

Run atmosphere was awesome.  We camped so my wife and kids were set up along the course and that made my day extra special, even when my legs didn't want to move any further.  I think I walked up the hill coming from the lake both times but hopefully I will be able to run it this year.

All in all, great race, great venue, great atmoshere.  I am looking foward to the race again this year!!
2011-01-31 11:03 AM

User image

Expert
Littleton, Colorado

Kansastriguy, I can give you some perspective as a spectator at this event.  My husband raced here last year, and I was there watching with our then-16-month-old.  We were also with parents of a friend who was racing as well.

• Yes, you are at the race site for the day.  There is no coming or going after the start.  They did have a couple of stands offering refreshments for sale, but I would recommend bringing your own in a cooler.  I do not recall seeing anything anywhere near the start or finish areas to refill on water, but there may have been.
  • Spectators generally ride a shuttle bus from parking to the finish area.  I would not plan on returning to your car during the race.
  • A large stroller or wagon is hugely helpful. 
  • I brought a sport umbrella (one of those large umbrellas you can pick up at Costco for about $40, and can lean down or stand up and tether).  While it may have seemed like a hassle to haul on the shuttle, it was SO WORTH IT!!  We had shade in the heat--a precious commodity!  We set up the umbrella (standing) near T2 and were in a great position to watch the action.  Plenty of shade for three adults and the kiddo.  If your kids can help carry folding chairs, those would be fabulous as well.
  • Bring activities for the kids--balls, frisbee's, coloring books, maybe a dvd player

With the above planning, the day can be a lot of fun.  We walked down to T1 to watch the start and cheer our athletes out onto the bike.  Then we walked up the hill to our spot near T2.  This also broke up some of the waiting around time. We watched Chrissie Wellington run through smiling!  We saw various of our BT friends come in on their bikes and run through several times.  Of course, my take on this is colored by the fact that I am myself a triathlete, so you may want to take this with a grain of salt.

Hubby gets spectator duty this year, and he will be making use of all of the above.

Hope this helps!

2011-01-31 1:22 PM
in reply to: #3330727

User image

Veteran
Cabot, Arkansas
Debbie - 2011-01-31 10:20 AM My first HIM as well, pitbulzz and I couldn't be more excited. I need to get a room as well. I think I may stay in a hotel on Friday night but then camp on Saturday. Trying to decide. How's everyone's training coming along?

I'm actually leaving for a 2week vacation to Maui next week, but my 12 week program starts sometime in March to take me right up to race time.  I'll swim and run a bunch while on vacation, but I'll have to wait til I get back for the biking
2011-01-31 1:47 PM

User image

Veteran
Waterloo, IL
Started a 16 week program yesterday that will bring my up to my A race (an oly on May 22).  I will tweak training for the three weeks between the Oly and IMKs. 

I really need to get outside.  Finally got to run outside yesterday and it felt goooood!  Ice and snow coming tonight and for the next couple of days. Frown

Planning to run a 15k for mid-March.
2011-01-31 2:02 PM

User image

Regular
Indiana
Gmax, where do you live? I started my 20 week training last week. Did real well but we are getting ice and snow too so I'm afraid roads will be icy and the gym will be closed. May not be able to get out and train for a few days if it's as bad as they say. I'm ready for some warm weather and get outside. Swimming and running have been great but the bike I'm just doing spin classes for now.

2011-01-31 2:17 PM

User image

Veteran
Cabot, Arkansas
No joke gMax. It was actually 71 and Sunny here on Sat, now it's starting to get cold again with that big front moving in. I'm ready for all this cold to just be gone.My Dad and I r doing a 15K Sat...of course it cldn't be last Sat when it was 71. Oh well...soon enough
2011-01-31 2:51 PM

User image

Veteran
Waterloo, IL

I live just just southeast of St. Louis, MO.  They are talking about the snowmageddon here.  A combination of the worst snow and ice storms in one blow.  We'll see.Undecided

Any way, it won't be conducive to outdoor runs or bikes for a week or so.  May be longer if we have a lot of snow piled up.  The Y could be closed for a day or two.  I have a magnetic trainer for my bike, so I can always ride in the basement and watch movies.

Edited by Gmax101098 2011-01-31 2:54 PM
2011-01-31 3:05 PM

User image

Regular
Indiana
I live about 20 miles northeast of downtown Indy. They are talking about ice, snow, rain, sleet, everything possible here too. I just hope we don't lose power. I rely on the gym so if I can't get there it will be P90X DVD's fo me. Good luck with the storm. Hope it's not as bad as they say.
2011-01-31 8:55 PM

User image

Hey all, it sounds like we all have the same dilemma this week. I too am in the St. Louis area. I finally got out this past weekend and got in a nice, long outdoor run. With all the snow and ice coming it's looking like it'll be treadmill, trainer, and lots of movies. Thank goodness for Netflix! Let's cross our fingers that the roads are cleared well enough for some safe outdoor runs later this week.

Bring on week 3!

2011-01-31 11:40 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe, KS
I'm contemplating running my 40 min run tomorrow through the forecasted snowpocalypse here in KC just because its sounds two parts crazy and one part fun. Although, the predicted 20 mph winds, blowing snow, and memories of falling on the ice two days ago may knock some sense into me and restrict me to the treadmill.

Edited by Barkeep 2011-01-31 11:41 PM

2011-02-01 1:30 PM

User image

Regular
Indiana
The gym was actually opened today so I got out and swam and ran while I could. We are getting ready for round 2 anytime now. Indy is under an Ice Storm Warning and just said, "Potentially Catastrophic Winter Storm". Hmmm, that doesn't sound too positive. I look up to all of you who run outside in this weather. You are my heroes. Maybe one day I will get up the nerve to get out there and do a cold winter run. Be careful with this ice. Stay safe everyone and keep up with all the great training. (By the way, I do love Netflix too. What a lifesaver.)
2011-02-01 4:29 PM

New user

Hutchinson, KS

Hutchinson, KS (central part of the state) has 4 degrees F, winds gusting to 30 mph putting windchill at minus 25.  It's been snowing all day and blowing and drifting.  Headed to MO, IL, IN, OH and on into NE. The faithful lady who opens the Y at 5:00 am was there this morning despite the blizzard conditions, so got to run on Tmill and swim 20 laps.  Cycling indoors tonight on trainer.  Last Friday and Saturday were in the low 70s...ran outdoors in shorts and a tank.  Must be February.

Edited by Kansastriguy 2011-02-01 4:29 PM
2011-02-04 12:51 PM

User image

Veteran
Waterloo, IL

A question for the race veterans:  What pre- or post-race activity would you recommend a newby not miss? 

Dreaming of June weather to keep my mind off of the cold and ice.  I am also listening to the triathlon music of Ironband (I don't mind (being passed by a chick!)).Laughing

2011-02-04 1:00 PM
in reply to: #3339424

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Gmax101098 - 2011-02-04 12:51 PM

A question for the race veterans:  What pre- or post-race activity would you recommend a newby not miss? 

Related to the race or not?
Lawrence is a pretty cool town - someone who lives there can probably recommend some fun stuff. College town... a few breweries and good boutique shopping on Mass Street.
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Kansas 70.3 : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 20