Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Headphones, Running and the Government Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2011-01-25 2:07 PM
in reply to: #3319196

User image

Subject: RE: Headphones, Running and the Government

2011-01-25 2:07 PM

User image

So, if my taxes go to pay for medicare for folks with debilitating illnesses that require lifelong care, and we can diagnose these in the womb, or better yet, can determine that two parents will give birth to someone with that condition, under that theory, we should be in favor of abortion or sterilization.  That's the "smart" thing, isn't it?

ETA - NB, obviously an extreme example to make a point, not advocating the point

Edited by ChrisM 2011-01-25 2:12 PM
2011-01-25 2:29 PM
in reply to: #3320941

User image

Champion
Menomonee Falls, WI
AcesFull - 2011-01-25 2:03 PM

scoobysdad - 2011-01-25 1:42 PM
Aarondb4 - 2011-01-25 1:23 PM
Goosedog - 2011-01-25 12:19 PM
AcesFull - 2011-01-25 2:04 PM

Health insurance is yet another way that expenses are spread from the unhelmeted to me.  I'd rather just make the SOB wear a helmet, and avoid having to cover his injuries OR his disability.

How about making failure to wear a helmet an exclusion/exemption (can't reminder which) from coverage?

Can't do that cause even if the injured rider doesn't have coverage the hospital isn't going to be able to turn them away.

Bring on the death panels I guess.

One way or another, those of us who play by the rules, pay taxes and pay health insurance premiums pay for those who don't. The problem is-- and it's political kryptonite to even discuss it-- if we really want to lower healthcare and insurance costs, there needs to be more in the way of negative consequences for those who do not or choose not to participate in the system. It's certainly not the only thing that needs to be done to address costs, but it's a big thing.

What you are essentially saying is that people should be REQUIRED to do the smart thing or be penalized.  Sounds like you are, in fact, in favor of at least the spirit of the law.

Not at all. I'm saying you should be free to make your own choices and you (not society) should be responsible for the consequences of your choices.
2011-01-25 2:55 PM
in reply to: #3321026

User image

Expert
Boise, ID
scoobysdad - 2011-01-25 1:29 PM

Health insurance is yet another way that expenses are spread from the unhelmeted to me.  I'd rather just make the SOB wear a helmet, and avoid having to cover his injuries OR his disability.

How about making failure to wear a helmet an exclusion/exemption (can't reminder which) from coverage?

Can't do that cause even if the injured rider doesn't have coverage the hospital isn't going to be able to turn them away.

One way or another, those of us who play by the rules, pay taxes and pay health insurance premiums pay for those who don't. The problem is-- and it's political kryptonite to even discuss it-- if we really want to lower healthcare and insurance costs, there needs to be more in the way of negative consequences for those who do not or choose not to participate in the system. It's certainly not the only thing that needs to be done to address costs, but it's a big thing.

What you are essentially saying is that people should be REQUIRED to do the smart thing or be penalized.  Sounds like you are, in fact, in favor of at least the spirit of the law.

Not at all. I'm saying you should be free to make your own choices and you (not society) should be responsible for the consequences of your choices.

Exactly. Unfortunately we have made everyone everybody else's problem. So those who are responsible for themselves get to pay for those who decide to take advantage of the system.

If the system wasn't there to begin with we wouldn't have this problem.

2011-01-25 3:00 PM
in reply to: #3321026

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2011-01-25 3:02 PM
in reply to: #3321115

Expert
Boise, ID
AcesFull - 2011-01-25 2:00 PM

scoobysdad - 2011-01-25 2:29 PM

Then we need to either eliminate health insurance altogether, or appoint a council or group of people to legislate decide which illnesses or behaviors are covered, and which are not. What about multifactorial illnesses, like diabetes and cancer?  What about heart disease in the obese?  After all, some skinny people have bad tickers, so how do we decide? 

They are called underwriters, they work for private health insurance companies.

2011-01-25 3:09 PM

Pro
Irvine, California

I'm more of the opinion that IF a pedestrian is involved in an accident, and they had their headphones on (or were yakking away on a cell phone), then you could hit them with a bigger fine.  But just banning those activities outright seems heavy-handed.  But maybe in legal circles, such a distinction isn't possible.

And I might be wrong, but my guess is that FAR more auto/pedestrian accidents are the fault of distracted drivers, not distracted pedestrians.

2011-01-25 3:10 PM

Champion
Two seat rocket plane

Thank God this is from Arkansas this time. So often it is my fair commonwealth that proposes such inanity

Wikipedia:

In May 2004 in Louisiana, state legislator Derrick Shepherd proposed a bill that would make it a crime to appear in public wearing trousers below the waist and thereby exposing one's skin or "intimate clothing".[36] The Louisiana bill was retracted[by whom?] after negative public reaction.

In February 2005, Virginia legislators tried to pass a similar law that would have made punishable by a $50 fine: "any person who, while in a public place, intentionally wears and displays his below-waist undergarments, intended to cover a person's intimate parts, in a lewd or indecent manner". (It is not clear whether, with the same coverage by the trousers, exposing underwear was considered worse than exposing bare skin, or whether the latter was already covered by another law.) The law passed in the Virginia House of Delegates. However, various criticisms to it arose. For example, newspaper columnists and radio talk show hosts consistently said that since most people that would be penalized under the law would be young African-American men, the law would thus be a form of discrimination against them. Virginia's state senators voted against passing the law.[37][38]

Carol Broussard, mayor of Delcambre, said[when?] that he will sign the proposal unanimously passed by town councillors, so that wearing trousers that reveal one's underwear will lead to a $500 penalty and the risk of six months in jail. "If you expose your private parts, you'll get a fine," said Mr Broussard. He told the Associated Press that people wearing low-slung trousers are "better off taking the pants off and wearing a dress." Ted Ayo, town attorney, said that the new legislation would expand on existing indecent exposure laws in Louisiana: "This is a new ordinance that deals specifically with sagging pants. It's about showing off your underwear in public". Mr. Broussard has received local criticism for the ordinance, with some Delcambre residents claiming that the proposal is racially motivated, due to the popularity of "sagging pants" among black hip-hop fans. However, he responded: "White people wear sagging pants, too."[citation needed]

2011-01-25 3:23 PM

Expert
Boise, ID

Haha the "Pants on the Ground" bill eh?

2011-01-25 3:55 PM
in reply to: #3321121

2011-01-25 4:45 PM
in reply to: #3321234

Champion
Menomonee Falls, WI
AcesFull - 2011-01-25 3:55 PM

So why is it okay for private insurance companies to decide what is and isn't to be covered, when the vast majority of Americans have little or no choice as to which company covers them? 

This is such an incorrect statement. Really? The vast majority of Americans have little or no choice in health coverage?

Listen, there is no question healthcare costs are too expensive and therefore healthcare insurance is too expensive. But the current healthcare reform does nothing to address the costs of healthcare. You want more Americans to have access to a wider array of more affordable health insurance? Fine, let the free market work and foster-- don't inhibit-- competition between healthcare providers AND insurance companies. But also make everyone responsible for providing for their own coverage and not depending on the (mandated) "kindness of others". I think you'd be amazed how many more people could suddenly "afford" coverage if they had to make it a priority or go without it.

The other side of the coin is government-run healthcare and when government controls the care, they control the choices you can make... which brings us right back to the original topic of government being able to ban runners from wearing headphones. And chances are, that's just the first in a bunch of bad restrictions headed our way.

2011-01-26 10:13 AM
in reply to: #3321234

Expert
Boise, ID
AcesFull - 2011-01-25 2:55 PM

Aarondb4 - 2011-01-25 3:02 PM
AcesFull - 2011-01-25 2:00 PM

scoobysdad - 2011-01-25 2:29 PM

Then we need to either eliminate health insurance altogether, or appoint a council or group of people to legislate decide which illnesses or behaviors are covered, and which are not. What about multifactorial illnesses, like diabetes and cancer?  What about heart disease in the obese?  After all, some skinny people have bad tickers, so how do we decide? 

They are called underwriters, they work for private health insurance companies.

So why is it okay for private insurance companies to decide what is and isn't to be covered, when the vast majority of Americans have little or no choice as to which company covers them? 

How is it that you don't think they have a choice? There are private companies, you have money, you give it to the company of your choice. Where is the choice taken away?

2011-01-26 10:29 AM
in reply to: #3319846

Champion
Philly 'burbs
mr2tony - 2011-01-25 8:13 AM
DerekL - 2011-01-25 7:11 AM I just hope they ban daydreaming and thinking intently while walking too.
What would I do with half my time, then?

You spend that much time day dreaming?
2011-01-26 11:07 AM

Champion
Fairport, NY
"I don't envision the earphone police going out and arresting people," Jeffress said. "I don't see anybody being stopped to check what's in their ears."

He forgot to add "Yet".  The next step is a city councilor seeing another way to increase municipal revenue and proposing that it be made a civil infraction with a $20 fine.

I live in NY. I run with headphones.  If this looks like it's going anywhere my state rep and Sen. are getting phone calls. These two state legislators quoted in the article really need to find less work to do.
2011-01-26 11:33 AM
in reply to: #3321318

Pro
St Charles, IL

scoobysdad - 2011-01-25 4:45 PM
AcesFull - 2011-01-25 3:55 PM

This is such an incorrect statement. Really? The vast majority of Americans have little or no choice in health coverage?

I get to "choose" from the one healthcare provider my company has decided to use, or to venture on my own to get individual coverage (which is not afforable ).  So technically I suppose there is a "choice", but I do not realistically have a choice of providers.

Listen, there is no question healthcare costs are too expensive and therefore healthcare insurance is too expensive. But the current healthcare reform does nothing to address the costs of healthcare. You want more Americans to have access to a wider array of more affordable health insurance? Fine, let the free market work and foster-- don't inhibit-- competition between healthcare providers AND insurance companies. But also make everyone responsible for providing for their own coverage and not depending on the (mandated) "kindness of others". I think you'd be amazed how many more people could suddenly "afford" coverage if they had to make it a priority or go without it. The other side of the coin is government-run healthcare and when government controls the care, they control the choices you can make... which brings us right back to the original topic of government being able to ban runners from wearing headphones. And chances are, that's just the first in a bunch of bad restrictions headed our way.

The problem I have with your "free market" approach is nobody wants to cover the sick, as it's not profitable.  Every company wants to cover the healthy people who pay premiums and infrequently make claims, no company wants to cover the population with pre-existing or expensive conditions whose claims exceed their premiums.

In your free-market scenario, how does it handle those cases?  Drop them from coverage?  Charge them for the full cost of their treatments and care?    

2011-01-26 11:46 AM
in reply to: #3322392

Champion
Chicago
Aarondb4 - 2011-01-26 10:13 AM
br />How is it that you don't think they have a choice? There are private companies, you have money, you give it to the company of your choice. Where is the choice taken away?

My company pays for my insurance. So even if I do not like the company they choose, I cannot afford to pay out of my own pocket for an alternate insurance company. Therefore I really don't have a choice. Thankfully my company's choice of insurance company is good, so far.

You make it sound like anybody can just go pick out insurance like buying groceries. Maybe not for you, but cost IS a factor for some people.

Edited by mr2tony 2011-01-26 11:48 AM

2011-01-26 11:59 AM
in reply to: #3322653

Champion
Menomonee Falls, WI
I agree with both of the above responses.

Right now, because healthcare is tied to your employer, your choices are limited. Your only remedy is to lobby your employer to change plans or offer more choices or to switch employers. So isn't the real problem having healthcare tied to your employer, or EVEN WORSE, the government, who will dictate to you what's covered and what's not? Wouldn't a better solution be to make individuals responsible for choosing their own plan and providers, and allowing plans and providers to compete for your business? Don't you think that would encourage insurance companies to offer better, lower cost plans and services and allow more people to be able to afford and mange their own care?

Instead, we're headed just the opposite direction.

2011-01-26 2:31 PM
in reply to: #3322702

2011-01-26 3:12 PM

Pro
St Charles, IL

scoobysdad - 2011-01-26 11:59 AM I agree with both of the above responses. Right now, because healthcare is tied to your employer, your choices are limited. Your only remedy is to lobby your employer to change plans or offer more choices or to switch employers. So isn't the real problem having healthcare tied to your employer, or EVEN WORSE, the government, who will dictate to you what's covered and what's not? Wouldn't a better solution be to make individuals responsible for choosing their own plan and providers, and allowing plans and providers to compete for your business? Don't you think that would encourage insurance companies to offer better, lower cost plans and services and allow more people to be able to afford and mange their own care? Instead, we're headed just the opposite direction.

I would very much rather it not be tied to employer.  Especially since losing a job can easily cause a disruption in coverage.  In that we agree.

Where we disagree is that it would be WORSE for the government to provide it.

This still hasn't addressed how a non-employer bound free-market system is helpful to those with expensive long-term care type conditions.  IE, diseases like cancer, MS.  How would they be covered under the free-market system?  What profit-motivated insurance provider will offer to cover them at other than exorbitant premiums?  Or is the answer, "tough cookies, you have an expensive to treat condition, you pay for it"?

2011-01-26 3:41 PM
in reply to: #3323154

Champion
Menomonee Falls, WI
coredump - 2011-01-26 3:12 PM

scoobysdad - 2011-01-26 11:59 AM I agree with both of the above responses. Right now, because healthcare is tied to your employer, your choices are limited. Your only remedy is to lobby your employer to change plans or offer more choices or to switch employers. So isn't the real problem having healthcare tied to your employer, or EVEN WORSE, the government, who will dictate to you what's covered and what's not? Wouldn't a better solution be to make individuals responsible for choosing their own plan and providers, and allowing plans and providers to compete for your business? Don't you think that would encourage insurance companies to offer better, lower cost plans and services and allow more people to be able to afford and mange their own care? Instead, we're headed just the opposite direction.

I would very much rather it not be tied to employer.  Especially since losing a job can easily cause a disruption in coverage.  In that we agree.

This still hasn't addressed how a non-employer bound free-market system is helpful to those with expensive long-term care type conditions.  IE, diseases like cancer, MS.  How would they be covered under the free-market system?  What profit-motivated insurance provider will offer to cover them at other than exorbitant premiums?  Or is the answer, "tough cookies, you have an expensive to treat condition, you pay for it"?

Good, tough question. Off the top of my head, I'm inclined to say there should be an industry rule that so long as you have paid your premiums to the point of diagnosis and perhaps pay a designated "catastrophic condition" deductible ($10K? $20K), your private insurance company is mandated to pay for your care in perpetuity. Some sort of insurance industry/doctor regulatory board (but PRIVATE and non-attorney) can act as referee as to what is "reasonable" care. Actuaries can determine the expected number of these catastrophic cases based on group size and the cost amortized over the group. Insurance companies would also have to always carry a certain reserve based on the number of expected cases. I guess that's my first inclination.

2011-01-26 3:43 PM

Champion
Chicago
scoobysdad - 2011-01-26 11:59 AM

I agree with both of the above responses.

Right now, because healthcare is tied to your employer, your choices are limited. Your only remedy is to lobby your employer to change plans or offer more choices or to switch employers. So isn't the real problem having healthcare tied to your employer, or EVEN WORSE, the government, who will dictate to you what's covered and what's not? Wouldn't a better solution be to make individuals responsible for choosing their own plan and providers, and allowing plans and providers to compete for your business? Don't you think that would encourage insurance companies to offer better, lower cost plans and services and allow more people to be able to afford and mange their own care?

Instead, we're headed just the opposite direction.

Insurance companies are money-making, for-profit companies. So with health care costs so high, as we've established, then even with ideal free-market competition, health insurance prices will be out of reach for most people because premiums will be outlandish if these companies want to make money. Honestly, without my company's giving me insurance, I'd be hard-pressed to pay for my own, and I make good money, and I'm single with no children.

So as much as I would like, ideally, to have my choice of which insurance companies provide exactly the coverage I need, I am dependent on my employer to provide said services. For without them, I'd not be able to get ART for a sore foot, a Z-pack whenever I get sick and have a race coming up and pay for emergency room visits when I break my finger playing basketball.

Now, if I'm out of work or underemployed or if my employer didn't offer insurance, well, what am I supposed to do?

Again, I agree with you in an idealistic sense, but idealism doesn't fill bellies or fix injuries.

Edited by mr2tony 2011-01-26 3:44 PM

2011-01-26 3:46 PM
in reply to: #3323154

Expert
Boise, ID
coredump - 2011-01-26 2:12 PM

Yes, it is tough cookies. That's how insurance works.

You pay the premium because there is a chance you might need the insurance later. I have paid thousands of dollars in car insurance and I have never once gotten a penny back. But if I get in a car wreck someday there will be money to pay for my damages. I can't go in today and say I am guaranteed to get in a car wreck tomorrow can I have some cheap insurance today?

Just as I cannot pay cheap car insurance premiums and then have accident after accident and expect the insurance to keep paying. After three I will get my policy cancelled and then I will have to go to the high risk pool and I'll have to give my right arm and leg in insurance premiums, as I should, as I am clearly taking more money out of the insurance pool than I am putting in.

Same with sickness. If you expect to buy a policy for a cheap premium with the guarantee that you are going to make a claim and your claim is going to be much more than you put in, that is no longer insurance, that is a handout.

The real question here is how to encourage the forming, contributing to, and utilization of charitable organizations that can give these handouts to those in need. Personally I think the government does a terrible job of this. The biggest question should be how to get the cost of health care down. If a broken leg cost $1,500 instead of $5,000 people would be able to afford it on their own. If it cost $3,000-$5,000 to have a baby in a hospital instead of $15,000 then people would be able to afford it. Tort reform would be a great place to start.

Insurance was never meant to be used the way obamacare uses it. "Insuring" people who are already taking out of the pot and putting relatively little in is not insurance, it is a handout and if it is forced on an insurance system it will bankrupt the system (which I wouldn't doubt is the agenda).

2011-01-26 3:54 PM
in reply to: #3323218

Champion
Chicago
Well, at least we all agree that change is needed. It's the type of change that's in question. Surely there's a happy medium somewhere. We can't, as a civilized society, let people die or suffer from lack of healthcare because private insurance is too expensive, yet we can't let a percentage of people bear the burden for those who aren't willing, or can't pay for their own.

Quite a quandary.
2011-01-26 4:07 PM

Champion
Menomonee Falls, WI
Aarondb4 - 2011-01-26 3:46 PM

You pay the premium because there is a chance you might need the insurance later. I have paid thousands of dollars in car insurance and I have never once gotten a penny back. But if I get in a car wreck someday there will be money to pay for my damages. I can't go in today and say I am guaranteed to get in a car wreck tomorrow can I have some cheap insurance today?

Just as I cannot pay cheap car insurance premiums and then have accident after accident and expect the insurance to keep paying. After three I will get my policy cancelled and then I will have to go to the high risk pool and I'll have to give my right arm and leg in insurance premiums, as I should, as I am clearly taking more money out of the insurance pool than I am putting in.

Same with sickness. If you expect to buy a policy for a cheap premium with the guarantee that you are going to make a claim and your claim is going to be much more than you put in, that is no longer insurance, that is a handout.

The real question here is how to encourage the forming, contributing to, and utilization of charitable organizations that can give these handouts to those in need. Personally I think the government does a terrible job of this. The biggest question should be how to get the cost of health care down. If a broken leg cost $1,500 instead of $5,000 people would be able to afford it on their own. If it cost $3,000-$5,000 to have a baby in a hospital instead of $15,000 then people would be able to afford it. Tort reform would be a great place to start.

Insurance was never meant to be used the way obamacare uses it. "Insuring" people who are already taking out of the pot and putting relatively little in is not insurance, it is a handout and if it is forced on an insurance system it will bankrupt the system (which I wouldn't doubt is the agenda).

The difference, as I see it, is that, unlike a series of car accidents which can be your fault, suffering ONE catastrophic condition can result the need for extended care-- the insurance company and the group it covers should be responsible for paying for that care. That's what insurance is-- a lottery that spreads the risk over a large group of people in case one day you're the "winner". You can't just sell the tickets and not be responsible for paying the "jackpot".

On the other hand, if you don't contribute to that pool, you don't get the benefit, sorry. Then it's up to charity for you.

2011-01-26 4:17 PM

Pro
St Charles, IL

Aarondb4 - 2011-01-26 3:46 PM

"If you expect to buy a policy for a cheap premium with the guarantee that you are going to make a claim and your claim is going to be much more than you put in, that is no longer insurance, that is a handout."

Except that's exactly what insurance does.  It pools the risk across a larger group (today, your risk pool is your fellow employees).  The expectation is that the cost of claims of the group will be less than the total premiums paid by the group. 

The larger the pool, the more evenly the "burden" is spread, providing for the lowest average premium cost to each individual in the pool.  This is why individuals ( a pool of 1 ) face such large premiums if they try to self-insure, and why small businesses also face large premiums.

If getting back more than you put in is a handout, then you are classifying anyone who makes a claim as receiving handouts, and should be dropped from insurance.

What then is the point of insurance ( as you see it ), if you are not allowed to make a claim greater than the amount you've paid in?

I also agree that health insurance does not equal health care.  I think that everyone should be entitled to health care, in a so-called civilized society.  If the healthy are unwilling to help the sick, the strong unwilling to help the weak, is that really the society you want us to strive to become?  It absolutely means that some will bear more burden than others, yes, I don't understand why that is looked down upon as something bad.

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Headphones, Running and the Government Rss Feed  

of 4