Other Resources My Cup of Joe » going to maui Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2011-02-11 11:45 PM

Regular
spokane
Subject: going to maui
I am going to mayo for vacation and would like some recomendations for cool things to see. I want to run the XTERRA world championship course. Any other ideas? Any cool tri shops to see? Thanks

2011-02-12 2:08 AM
in reply to: #3351518

Subject: RE: going to maui

The road to Hana is one of my favorite places on Earth.  Drive it early in the morning to avoid tourist traffic and make sure you go all the way to the pools.  The top of Haleakula is pretty cool too.  The Xterra tri course might be on private land, so that may be out.  Best advice I can give is to buy Maui Revealed by Andrew Doughty before you visit.  By far the best guide book out there.

2011-02-12 3:00 AM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii

reporting from oahu....unfortunately XTERRA leases the land for the race, so normally can't get access because it's privately owned.

Don't know of any tri shops on maui...but...

if you've never been to Maui, tons to do.

-trip to Hana is a good one, or rent bikes and ride !

-snorkel Molokini (Scuba if you are certified or want to get certified)

-kite surfing and windsurfing in Kanaha (instruction available)

-Haleakala volcano hiking (sunrise trip is pretty nice)

-hit the beaches ! swim in the warm clear water!

-west maui horseback riding

2011-02-12 6:02 AM

Uxbridge
The road to Hanna is a must do!!!!
maui is my favorite place on earth!!!
2011-02-12 6:14 AM

User image

Regular
Go to Paia if you are in that area, Hana is also one of the purest parts of the Island.  If you do go to Hana make sure you stop and get some banana bread, best in the world!  
2011-02-12 7:31 AM

User image

Veteran
West Chester, OH

I lived there for years and did my best to explore every inch of the island.  It is about as close as you can get to paradise for athletes (or anyone for that matter).  Definitely try to find out if the Aluminum Man group is training while you're there. 

With all of my tips to friends and family going there I may as well have written my own guide book at this point.  PM me if you want some detailed recommendations.

2011-02-12 8:29 AM

Veteran
Jump off of Black Rock, also good area to swim. See my avi.
2011-02-12 8:57 AM

User image

Elite
Oliver, BC, "Wine Capital of Canada"
Don't have an answer but I'm going there as well. We'll be there mid April.
2011-02-12 9:59 AM

User image

Expert
Culpeper, VA

Where are you staying?  We always stay in Wailea and there are several cool beaches to go to.  You can go to Molokini, but plenty of fish and reef right off the coast.  All the dive shops have a little pamphlet with some nice reefs along the coast line.  On my list next time I go there is to try surfing.  Hit the farmer's market and there's a straw market by the airport that is worthwhile.   

In addition to what's already been mentioned there is a blow hole if you follow the highway up the Western most side of the island... drawing a complete blank right now on the town names, etc. but it is a cool site.  Pack some shoes, we hiked down to it in sandles and flip-flops.  Here's a pic down by the blow hole... note the improper foot attire for hiking down a steep hill with volcanic pea gravel all over it.    

My family loves Maui... my favorite place to vacation and if my wife had her way, we'd be living there.  I've done the road to Hana twice and I'm done with that... cool black sand beach though, we stopped at one picnic area and hiked back into the rain forest found a picturesque waterfall into a pool of water... went swimming and it was COLD!!! 

You're going to love it and not want to come home.

2011-02-12 10:36 AM

User image

Expert
Denver Area

If you get motion sickness at all DON'T go to Hana, unless you're the driver.  It's fun, but also can be miserable.

You might go through Haiku....At Haiku market place (a.k.a the old cannery) there's Haiku Market for rubbah slippahs, and a place called Colleen's if Chef David still works there it's got THE BEST.hashbrowns.ever. Ultimate breakfast and casual luxe dinners with fantastic pizza (especially when Mountain makes'em).  In that little joint there is also Hana Hou Cafe, great burgers and awesome local food, AND a taco stand with killer $3 tacos.

If we were coming back for a visit I would make sure to visit Kula lodge, the Ali'i Kula Lavender Fields, Spreckelsville Beach (a.k.a Baby Beach), Makena/Big Beach, hang out at Ho'okipa watch the surfers, the two fantastic yoga shalas one at the tomato farm and t'other on the way to Hana.

Pa'ia for crepes and Cafe Mambo, oh, and that fish house with great cole slaw that was on the corner of main intersection.  Horseback riding is just up the road from there through Makawao (the cowboy town) and though I didn't go 'cause I was only few weeks post-partum, my mom and siblings say it was fantastic!

*sigh* I miss it now and then.    It's been almost 4 years since we moved, but those places hopefully are still around.  IMO Hana is just as tourist as many other places.  If you want modern Maui I'd hang around Wailuku & Kahului walk around in town. Oh! Speaking of in town, Brigit & Bernards Garden Cafe has awesome German food.

ANYWAY, yes there's a training group there but I think it's based on Oahu.  GREAT idea to check out the Xterra course, wish I was into tri when we lived there!  Have fun and be safe!

2011-02-12 9:45 PM

User image

Expert
Dodge County, MN (out in the corn)
Maui is so much fun!  I second the recommendation for the Maui Revealed book.  Lots of good insider tips there.  On our last trip there, we took a side trip over to Molokai and had 3 wonderful days there.  If you can swing it, try to get over there.  Probably shouldn't swim over, so take the ferry from Lahinia.  Tangent-- if you go over, take Dramamine for the return trip.  Worst seasick ever.  Multiple trips to the side of the boat to feed the fish. 

2011-02-13 7:35 PM

User image

Master
NJ

Loved maui revealed guidebook - lots of detailed info and mostly very accurate. One of my favorite spots on Maui was snorkling in Fishbowl. It was listed in the revealed guidebook - a decent hike thru raw lava fields to a hidden shallow tidepool with ooodles of fish and coral. Simply gorgeous. We snorkled out of the tidepool to the open ocean and poked around- saw amazing sea turtles and huge rays! Very cool. Have a great time!

2011-02-13 9:33 PM

User image

Master
Oceanside, California
Spent every day of my honeymoon at Little Beach Makena.
2011-02-14 7:22 AM

User image

Veteran
Kansas
Hit the winery on the South side of the Island.  I know a winery on Maui ...??? A great drive up the crater on the South side and amazing views once you get up there.  Pack a lunch as there are picnic tables up there. 
2011-02-14 9:54 AM

User image

Spanish Fort, Alabama
just got back ten days ago, stayed in S. Kihei area. WOW, road to Hana is great, stayed overnight in Hana and did the full loop around the south side of the island, alot of driving but spectacular. did plenty of SU paddling in the mornings, snorkling off of the beach (guide mentioned shows the best spots), "local boys" shave ice is manna from heaven. plenty of opportunity to rent road or mountain bikes from several shops. take a good set of binoculars, plenty of humpbacks breaching. snorkeled Molokini on the early morning trip with Kai kanani http://www.kaikanani.com/ if you are in S Maui, really great!
2011-02-14 1:16 PM

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC

I was in Maui in January and did a lot of the things mentioned in this thread. I recommend every one. It was a fantastic trip.

I rode the West Island loop, staying in Lahaina, north on the 30, the 30 turned into the 340 and then back into the 30 south, then west and north back to Lahaina and I have to say I enjoyed that loop and road as much as I enjoyed the road to Hana. It was beautiful. That's where the blowhole above is as well.

I rode south through Kihei, past Big beach to La Perouse bay and sitting on a volcanic beach was pretty cool too. Good snorkling there as well.

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » going to maui Rss Feed