General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Beach2Battleship Half Iron Distance Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2011-09-06 9:12 AM
in reply to: #3657870

Lewis Center, Ohio
Subject: RE: Beach2Battleship Half Iron Distance Triathlon : Official Thread

I was curious about the run route, too, as some have mentioned it being deceptively hilly.  I mapped it out here if you want to check it out:

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/49406002

Doesn't look bad on paper, but B2B will be my first full so I don't know how the legs feel after all of that riding!  Climbing the bridge might feel like Everest.

2011-09-06 12:05 PM
in reply to: #3674389

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
newmansown - 2011-09-06 10:12 AM

I was curious about the run route, too, as some have mentioned it being deceptively hilly.  I mapped it out here if you want to check it out:

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/49406002

Doesn't look bad on paper, but B2B will be my first full so I don't know how the legs feel after all of that riding!  Climbing the bridge might feel like Everest.

It's not bad but it's not pancake flat either.

I did the half last year and if I remember correctly, one of the bridges was steeper than the other.  Also, one of the bridges has metal grating which I did not like running on.  My feet complained.  I also remember there being a hill on Red Cross Street and Ann Street and some cobblestones between the two.  The run around the park seemed to take foreverandeverandever.

Edited by jmkizer 2011-09-06 12:07 PM
2011-09-09 7:25 AM
in reply to: #3375447

User image

Regular
Raleigh, NC
Hi everyone, i was hoping someone may be able to help.. I recieved a promo email about the race a week or 2 ago but have since deleted it, in it im sure i seen something about a promo code for one of the sponsor stores for wetsuits... does anyone know of the code and store?..

hope you can help, thanks

2011-09-09 9:31 AM
in reply to: #3678955

Lewis Center, Ohio

Here's a complete cut-and-paste from the newsletter:

XTERRA WETSUITS XTERRA WETSUITS is a proud sponsor of PPD Beach2Battleship 2011. As part of our partnership, race participants receive exclusive discounts on the XTERRA WETSUITS product line, including up to 50% off Vortex 3 and Vector Pro X2 triathlon wetsuits. Visit www.xterrawetsuits.com/2011races and use coupon code R-B2B to purchase the best selling triathlon wetsuit in North America!

Hope this helps!
2011-09-09 6:31 PM
in reply to: #3679160

User image

Regular
Raleigh, NC
thanks newmansown.. that's the code i was looking for, appreciate you taking the time..

happy training..

cheers
2011-09-27 8:18 PM

User image

Veteran
Richmond
Awefully quiet in here, how's everyone's training going?  Hitting it hard or hardly hitting it?  I am way behind plan, but got a 40 mile bike and 7.5 mile run in last weekend, need more of that this weekend.

2011-09-28 7:50 AM
in reply to: #3702930

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

mdfahy - 2011-09-27 9:18 PM Awefully quiet in here

The same thing happened last year -- most of the conversation for both the half and the full ended up being in the full thread.

2011-10-02 6:00 PM

User image

Evans, GA

Hi all,

I'm going to be in Wilmington next Saturday.  Here in Augusta, where i live, we were able to swim the half course in the river for practice and it's nice to have a swim or two under your belt come race day.  Does anyone know of any group swims on the course in Wilmington?  Is there a local Tri club?  I haven't had any luck finding anything on google.

Thanks!

2011-10-03 8:48 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
GA

Can anybody who's done the half before give me a realistic idea of how to get your bike back into the city after the race?  Is it possible to ride back?  What about the buses?

I would just leave the bike and pick it up sunday, but i'm staying an hour away and would like to be able to take it with me.

2011-10-03 9:35 AM
in reply to: #3708348

User image

Master
Canton, Michigan
ricker9 - 2011-10-02 7:00 PM

Hi all,

I'm going to be in Wilmington next Saturday.  Here in Augusta, where i live, we were able to swim the half course in the river for practice and it's nice to have a swim or two under your belt come race day.  Does anyone know of any group swims on the course in Wilmington?  Is there a local Tri club?  I haven't had any luck finding anything on google.

Thanks!

Try sending Leeanne a message at her BT screen name Canadarn2001, she lives just outside of Wilmington and may know of a group swim on weekends since she trains in the area. 

We did a BT group swim on Friday morning before race day in 2009.  I thought it was a big help, but make sure you check tides for Masonboro Inlet.  A Friday morning swim would have to be done early and light could be an issue since high tide is at 9:13 am and sunrise is at 7:27.

Edited by rottieguy 2011-10-03 9:50 AM
2011-10-03 9:49 AM
in reply to: #3708883

User image

Master
Canton, Michigan
biggsmoothe - 2011-10-03 9:48 AM

Can anybody who's done the half before give me a realistic idea of how to get your bike back into the city after the race?  Is it possible to ride back?  What about the buses?

I would just leave the bike and pick it up sunday, but i'm staying an hour away and would like to be able to take it with me.

There are buses and the water taxi to take back where you just kinda of squeeze on the best you can with your bike.  In 2008 the waits were real bad from reading race reports, when I was there in 2009 they added the trolleys there were still some people walking or riding back along the run course since the waits must have been somewhat bad, because I wouldn't  want to walk back to the city from the battleship.  It's over 2 miles and the bridges might not be fun to do again plus you have all your bags from the day to carry with you if you don't have a sherpa to help you out it may take longer then just waiting for the trolley/water taxi.  Not sure they allow bikes to be left in T2 overnight.

2011-10-03 11:52 AM
in reply to: #3709025

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
rottieguy - 2011-10-03 10:49 AM

There are buses and the water taxi to take back where you just kinda of squeeze on the best you can with your bike.  In 2008 the waits were real bad from reading race reports, when I was there in 2009 they added the trolleys there were still some people walking or riding back along the run course since the waits must have been somewhat bad, because I wouldn't  want to walk back to the city from the battleship.  It's over 2 miles and the bridges might not be fun to do again plus you have all your bags from the day to carry with you if you don't have a sherpa to help you out it may take longer then just waiting for the trolley/water taxi.  Not sure they allow bikes to be left in T2 overnight.

The logistics have changes slightly.  The organizers have said no bikes on water taxis or buses this year.  I do think that they might have a truck that will bring bikes back but that was not clear to me.  Your main choices are (1) ride it back to the Hilton or (2) wait until Sunday.

2011-10-03 12:42 PM
in reply to: #3709246

User image

Master
Canton, Michigan
jmkizer - 2011-10-03 12:52 PM
rottieguy - 2011-10-03 10:49 AM

The logistics have changes slightly.  The organizers have said no bikes on water taxis or buses this year.  I do think that they might have a truck that will bring bikes back but that was not clear to me.  Your main choices are (1) ride it back to the Hilton or (2) wait until Sunday.

Oops, sorry about my post.  Either way the new way sounds like it could turn into a mess on Sunday.  9-12 for pick up and they have the awards cruise at 11, doesn't leave much time. one idea would be to have a sherpa take your bags and use the shuttle back to town, then ride back along the course.  Not terrible after a half, but to dangerous after the full since it's dark on the one bridge unless they've added lights.

I do like the idea of the larger buses to move people, but the driveway to get in and out of the battleship didn't seem all that wide and it seemed tight with both bikes and run in/out area, now your going to add family/friends walking in the area.  Not sure about the bike transport.  The last thing I'd want to do after a full is get back on my bike or have to make it over to the battleship on Sunday to pick it up.  Finishing in 12 hours I got on the first trolley with my bike so leaving it behind doesn't make much sense since once the half athletes clear out things aren't to bad.

Hope it works well and look forward to hear how things go if I can make it back for the race in 2012. 
2011-10-05 9:14 AM

User image

Veteran

I want a race number.  If you know of anyone who won't use their's please contact me.  

I know the official policies, so spare me a lecture.  If there's a number going un-used, contact me and I'll meet you in Wilmington after you pick it up.  I'll bring a small cash contribution to your favorite charity : )

[email protected]

New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Beach2Battleship Half Iron Distance Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 2