Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Disaster Plan/Prepardness Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2011-03-14 8:41 PM
in reply to: #3395589

User image

Subject: RE: Disaster Plan/Prepardness

Just keep in mind that an disaster plan is not always to prepare you in the case your house is wiped out by the disaster itself.  It's to prepare for the aftermath that can result from a disaster in your area.

I'm going to take a fair guess that there are some Japanese folks who were 5 miles away from the tsunami's damage that would like to have a supply of food, fresh water, gas, and portable electricity right now.

Just because your house goes undamaged in a disaster, it doesn't mean you can go to the grocery store or gas station the next day like nothing happened. 

2011-03-14 9:20 PM

User image

Master
Boynton Beach, FL
I have plenty of ammunition, water filtration system, propane, and I have been upping the dogs food intake to add weight, you know, just in case. Longer periods of isolation would up my chances of having items for barter. Some mentioned beer, but I would prefer warm scotch or rum over warm beer. Also good to have lots of rope, rechargeable batteries (solar), bleach, and jailhouse trade favorite, cigarettes.
2011-03-15 9:21 AM
in reply to: #3397505

User image

Expert

Sooner Tri Guy - 2011-03-14 4:06 PM
phoenixazul - 2011-03-13 6:49 PM No, seriously, google "Tornado Moore OK May 3 1999". It wiped entire towns off the map. I've not grown up with that, and so I'm having to really plan for the inevitable event that it will happen.
I grew up in Moore, OK and have lived nearly my whole life (46 years) in the greater OKC area. In all that time, I've never experienced being in a tornado. While we do have a storm shelter in our home, we've never used it in the 17 years we've lived there. This isn't to say that it doesn't happen, and shouldn't be something you be mindful of; but don't let it worry you beyond the normal level of awareness and preparation. In no time you'll be outside with the rest of us watching the skies when the tornado sirens go off! haha

Hah, it's always dissapointing when the sirens go off and it's dark out.  No chance of watching the funnel cloud come in from the back deck.

2011-03-15 9:47 AM
in reply to: #3397578

User image

Melon Presser
MadMathemagician - 2011-03-15 6:58 AM

For those who don't want to keep a month's supply should at least keep a 72 hr emergency kit that will fit into a backpack.   It's portable and can be kept in a hall closet or trunk of a car.

This is what I have in my car. Here's what's in it. Notice it's just categorized, not prioritized; some of the most important items are actually at the bottom.

Living on an island on the Ring of Fire in a developing nation means it's a really, really good idea to be prepared.

My home always has at least 2-weeks' supplies in it, plus the animals obviously can take care of themselves (heck, they bring enough for me, too)

EMERGENCY SUPPLY KIT

(I always wear a sports bracelet with my emergency info on it)

Containers

1 large backpack

• 1L hard plastic
  • ¼ L hard plastic
  • 10 large garbage bags
  • 2 plastic bags
  • 5 resealable baggies

Nutrition

• 5L potable water
  • Water purifying tablets (to 60L)
  • 1 can powdered Ensure (40 serves)
  • 1.5kg high-quality kitten food

Tools

• 2 shake flashlights
  • Utility kitchen-type shears
  • Utility knife
  • Duct tape
  • Rubber bands
  • Roll of string
  • Super glue
  • Weatherproof lighter
  • Waterproof matches in container
  • compass
  • Lightstick

Medical Supplies

• 20 sanitary napkins (multi-purpose)
  • 5 face masks
  • 5 rolls gauze
  • 10p latex gloves
  • Leucoplast tape
  • Plastic bottle of povidone iodine
  • Roll antiseptic wipes
  • 1 bottle sanitizing hand gel
  • Small pot Vaseline

------

• Paracetamol
  • Anti-inflammatories (mefenamic acid)
  • Charcoal tablets
  • Mylanta tablets
  • Immodium
  • Benadryl tablets
  • Broadspectrum antibiotics
  • Antifungal cream
  • Sunscreen
  • Worm medicine
  • Eyedrops
  • Insect repellent
  • Personal medications (1 mo worth)

Personal Items and Clothing

• 2 sarongs
  • 1 lightweight waterproof outfit (longsleeve + hood, pants)
  • 1 pair undies, sports bra, socks
  • 1 long pants, 1 longsleeve shirt, 1 t-shirt
  • Rubber thongs
  • Hat (covers neck too)
  • Cheap sunglasses
  • Toothbrush & paste set

-------

• Cash (Rupiah and U.S. dollars)
  • Photocopies of passport, driver’s license, important docs
  • Photocopies of relevant pages of (sub)tropical survival handbook
  • Local maps
  • Photocopies of local-sky star guide pages
  • Small bound journal
  • Fine permanent marker and pencil
2011-03-15 9:58 AM
in reply to: #3398438

User image

Champion
Racine, WI
TriAya - 2011-03-15 9:47 AM
MadMathemagician - 2011-03-15 6:58 AM

For those who don't want to keep a month's supply should at least keep a 72 hr emergency kit that will fit into a backpack.   It's portable and can be kept in a hall closet or trunk of a car.

This is what I have in my car. Here's what's in it. Notice it's just categorized, not prioritized; some of the most important items are actually at the bottom.

Living on an island on the Ring of Fire in a developing nation means it's a really, really good idea to be prepared.

My home always has at least 2-weeks' supplies in it, plus the animals obviously can take care of themselves (heck, they bring enough for me, too)

EMERGENCY SUPPLY KIT

(I always wear a sports bracelet with my emergency info on it)

Containers

1 large backpack

• 1L hard plastic
  • ¼ L hard plastic
  • 10 large garbage bags
  • 2 plastic bags
  • 5 resealable baggies

Nutrition

• 5L potable water
  • Water purifying tablets (to 60L)
  • 1 can powdered Ensure (40 serves)
  • 1.5kg high-quality kitten food

Tools

• 2 shake flashlights
  • Utility kitchen-type shears
  • Utility knife
  • Duct tape
  • Rubber bands
  • Roll of string
  • Super glue
  • Weatherproof lighter
  • Waterproof matches in container
  • compass
  • Lightstick

Medical Supplies

• 20 sanitary napkins (multi-purpose)
  • 5 face masks
  • 5 rolls gauze
  • 10p latex gloves
  • Leucoplast tape
  • Plastic bottle of povidone iodine
  • Roll antiseptic wipes
  • 1 bottle sanitizing hand gel
  • Small pot Vaseline

------

• Paracetamol
  • Anti-inflammatories (mefenamic acid)
  • Charcoal tablets
  • Mylanta tablets
  • Immodium
  • Benadryl tablets
  • Broadspectrum antibiotics
  • Antifungal cream
  • Sunscreen
  • Worm medicine
  • Eyedrops
  • Insect repellent
  • Personal medications (1 mo worth)

• 2 sarongs
  • Rubber thongs
  • Hat (covers neck too)
  • Cheap sunglasses
  • Toothbrush & paste set

-------

• Cash (Rupiah and U.S. dollars)
  • Photocopies of passport, driver’s license, important docs
  • Photocopies of relevant pages of (sub)tropical survival handbook
  • Local maps
  • Photocopies of local-sky star guide pages
  • Small bound journal
  • Fine permanent marker and pencil

Yanti-

This is very similar to what my bf has on hand at all times....fits nicely in a tupperware bin...one for the home and one for the car. Except add silver, full gas tanks to travel to our "safe place" and a gas masks.

2011-03-15 10:12 AM
in reply to: #3398465

User image

Melon Presser

Eye Donna, your bf keeps cat food as nutrition?

I think it's a good idea for one in the home, too, if you have multiple people in a house ... it's just that if I'm home, my car's parked here.

2011-03-15 10:25 AM
in reply to: #3398488

User image

Champion
Eat Cheese or Die
So Yanti has rubber thongs and Aidana has a safe place. If I have to survive a disaster, I want to survive with them

Edited by graceful_dave 2011-03-15 10:41 AM
2011-03-15 10:26 AM
in reply to: #3398438

User image

Expert
TriAya - 2011-03-15 9:47 AM

• 2 sarongs
  • Rubber thongs
  • Hat (covers neck too)
  • Cheap sunglasses
  • Toothbrush & paste set

Are these in case an "alt" party breaks out...

2011-03-15 10:39 AM

User image

Melon Presser

Ha ha ha, you people!

Eye Donna and I sure pack a helluva party punch for our short little statures, though.

2011-03-15 10:40 AM
in reply to: #3398516

User image

Champion
Eat Cheese or Die
in our location we are either going to get hit by a tornado (highly unlikely) or go without power in winter for an extended time.

I've got enough non perishable food to go a couple weeks to a month and enough bottled water for a week. I need more of that.

If it was loss of power in winter, I've got enough wood to burn for a couple weeks. Gas and gas grill, and I can cook over an open fire if need be.

We are 60 miles from the nearest nuclear plant. Should we have to evacuate I've got enough wilderness camping equipment that I wouldn't be concerned with going. Only thing I don't keep on hand is a large supply of gas. I generally have a 5 gallon can full for the mower and snow blower.

My "oh sh*t bag" has basic wilderness survival stuffs like water purification tabs, magnesium fire starter, water proof matches, compass, signal mirror, emergency blanket, zip ties, duct tape, 10 feet of 6mm rope, around 1000 calories in calorie dense food and a basic first aid kit. That all fits into a bag no bigger then a cantaloupe and lives in my big mountain bike pack.

Things that I think we are lacking:
- A more robust first aid kit. Granted, we have a fairly good one compared to the average "home" first aid kid.
- More water
- More gas
- Cash (we never have it on hand)
- Supply of prescription drugs, though I'm really the only one on drugs and I could do without, I'd just be a scattered brained mess who didn't sleep well.

I'm on the fence about firepower. I have a shotgun, but my wife's condition was that I don't keep any ammo in the house. I'd at least like to have one box of shells on hand, just in case.

Edited by graceful_dave 2011-03-15 10:45 AM
2011-03-15 12:18 PM
in reply to: #3398545

User image

Champion
Racine, WI
TriAya - 2011-03-15 10:39 AM

Ha ha ha, you people!

Eye Donna and I sure pack a helluva party punch for our short little statures, though.

Let's not forget the gas masks folks! Yanti and I could rock some bad azz masks if we needed to!

2011-03-15 12:19 PM
in reply to: #3398488

User image

Champion
Racine, WI
TriAya - 2011-03-15 10:12 AM

Eye Donna, your bf keeps cat food as nutrition?

I think it's a good idea for one in the home, too, if you have multiple people in a house ... it's just that if I'm home, my car's parked here.

What makes this thread even more funny is that he just asked me to pick up another bottle of potassium iodide during my lunch break!

*snerk*

Edited by aidana 2011-03-15 12:33 PM
2011-03-15 10:11 PM

User image

Buttercup

crusevegas - 2011-03-13 12:11 PM How would you and your family survive after a disaster the likes that Japan is suffering.

Tell us what you have to help assure your family will have food, water and the other truly essentials.

I rarely post on BT anymore and this is the third time I've tried to type a response to this thread. Maybe this mental exercise of "What if ...?" is a way of comforting ourselves that we would be okay if it were us in Japan.

My heart breaks for the people of Japan. I know - it's a feeble expression but I lack the words. Such calamity. I wish I could do something; I hate watching this horror unfold.

To your what if ...

If we had a disaster similar to Japan's, my house would be gone along with all my possessions and stockpiles. There would be nothing in need of protection or to sustain me.

A hurricane is a different matter. We get ample warnings regarding hurricanes, so there's no need for a dash and grab. At the beginning of every hurricane season, I review/replenish my hurricane evacuation kit. I've shrunk it quite a bit over the years. It includes:

• My backpack:
  • Essential papers - passport, social security, birth certificate, deed for my house, microchip info/documents on my cats
  • A deck of cards
  • Laptop
  • Foods that don't require preparation - nuts, dried fruits, GU products (Roctane, Chomps), Clif Bars. This year, I'll include Accelerade Hydro (for the protein content). I no longer pack any foods that require preparation, require fuel/energy, pots, plates, utensils, clean-up, etc.
  • An overnight bag:
  • A few tech shirts
  • 2 pairs of blue-jeans
  • 2 pairs of shorts
  • Panties, socks (plenty - it's my only comfort necessity)
  • Comfort clothes to sleep in
  • Sneakers
  • Heavy duty boots
  • heavy duty gloves
  • First aid kit and basic toiletries. Baby wipes.
  • Two small towels
  • A third, smaller pets' needs bag with food/bowls. They have individual cat carriers. Hooded cat litter box (clean, empty, ready to go).
  • A case of bottled water.
  • Sleeping bag. Blanket for the cats.
  • Vehicle is filled with gas whenever a hurricane enters the Gulf and our coast is in NOAA's "cone of probability" within a 5 day window.

I think I should procure a basic water purification system.

I have First Responder training, CERT (Community Emergency Response Team) training and Mass Care and Disaster Services (Red Cross) training. There are many ways that I can be of use after a disaster. I can do search and rescue, triage, adult and infant CPR, or simply help distribute water/food. I would put myself to work to help others as quickly as I could.

If I lived in an area similar to Japan, where you might have only 20 minutes warning, I'd probably make the following modifications:

• Keep the backpack (sans documents) in my car, along with a case of water and sleeping bag. Keep vacuum packed dried fruits/nuts so they don't go rancid in the car. Replenish this every 3 months. Include a heavy duty marker to write my name and SS# on my leg or forearm so that my body could be identified if it were recovered. On second thought, maybe have this information tattooed on me in an inconspicuous place like the bottom of my foot or side of my hip.
  • Scan my birth certificate and deed and upload it to my google account so that I could access it online in the event I later needed a copy.
  • Get a US Passport Card that I could always carry in my wallet.
2012-11-10 8:56 AM
in reply to: #3398516

User image

graceful_dave - 2011-03-15 8:25 AM So Yanti has rubber thongs and Aidana has a safe place. If I have to survive a disaster, I want to survive with them

X2

Thought this was worth a bump.

We still don't have a gen set, we keep talking about it though.

2012-11-11 9:29 PM

Expert
Behind you

I have enough of about everything to survive anything.  Listen to MadMathemagician on his posts, I second everything he has mentioned.

Has anyone mentioned HAM radios?

2012-11-12 12:44 AM

User image

Pro
We have a drawer full of menus and will order out. During Sandy we tested this theory by having pizza delivered. I'm in a brownstone that was build before the civil war and it will outlive me too. I do have flashlights and candles readily available, but that's it.

2012-11-12 9:05 AM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
We were lucky with Sandy and didn’t experience any loss of power or other utilities, but what happened around us underscored that we’re not really prepared at home for something like this. We have a 2-3 day supply of food and water and have “bug out” supplies so that we can get out of town taking everything we need with us, but we aren’t really prepared for an extended period of time at home without electricity or running water. I’ll be updating the emergency kit soon to include more drinkable water, more food, and more flashlights/batteries, etc. and a better battery-powered radio. We can’t keep a propane or gas-powered generator in our building, but I know there are battery-powered generators that would provide enough juice to keep cell phones charged for a couple of days. We’ll probably get one of those.
2012-11-12 9:22 AM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

I still have so much to do in this area.  I do have the self defense aspect buttoned up pretty well, and my wife is one of those crazy coupon ladies so we have a small grocery store full of food supply in our house.
We also have a wood burning fireplace with plenty of wood so we'll stay plenty warm through any extended power outages in the winter.

My greatest needs:

water purification
first aid supplies

2012-11-12 9:27 AM

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs
I felt really out of touch not knowing what disaster Japan was facing before I realized this thread was started over 18 months ago.
2012-11-12 9:39 AM
in reply to: #4494734

User image

mrbbrad - 2012-11-12 7:27 AM I felt really out of touch not knowing what disaster Japan was facing before I realized this thread was started over 18 months ago.

LOL, after Sandy I thought this was worth revisiting.

@JMK there is a small solar powered unit you can get that can be used to charge small items like cameras, cell phones, I-pods and such. We have one I think they run around $100.00 depending on the sun it can take a while to charge a cell phone but it's better than no option at all.

2012-11-12 10:02 AM

User image

Expert
Central New Jersey
It amazes me is the "I kept meaning to do something" attitude.

Last year in NJ we had a small hurricane (lost power for 5 days, we were only ones with generator, had basic lights, kept fridge and sump pump running) Only one in the neighborhood whose basement didn't flood. A few weeks later, blizzard in Oct. lost power for 2 days.

Hubby decided we needed a bigger generator and a transfer switch (didn't really NEED the bigger gen but with an electric start it means I can start it if home alone) had to wait 4 months for larger gen and 6 for transfer switch. I wanted to sell old genny hubby said keep it!?

Now Sandy arrives, neighbor on one side got whole house genny runs off natural gas (he also works for utility so hasn't been home since the day before the storm) the other "kept meaning to look into options" but did nothing.

3 days before Sandy genny-less neighbor calls and asks if they can use our old one. Yes IF my parents don't need it (couldn't get it to them even though they did). Day before the storm they call, do you think we should get gas? REALLY? The gen doesn't run on air and I'm not giving you mine! So we set it up for them. Power was out for 2 days. Power went out again last week for about 5 hours.

they call in a panic, please bring gen back over....

They STILL haven't even begun to determine which gen they want (whole house or portable) and I would but money on the fact they never do....Because the odds of it happening again...

Oh, and let me tell you that having ENOUGH GAS (we had 15 gals) and then my parents brought up 9 more (gas rationing made for LONG lines). We lent out over 15 gallons of gas to friends who ran out. And extra gen got used by more than one party as long days and cold nights without heat got to be too much.

2012-11-12 10:28 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

I'll keep it simple and say we have a minimum of 2 years food stores, water and ability to protect family. Triathlon is my hobby, disaster preparedness is my husbands hobby nuf said.

Patsy

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Disaster Plan/Prepardness Rss Feed  

of 2