General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Chased by dogs on bike - what do you do? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2011-03-25 8:07 PM
in reply to: #3412444

User image

Master
Dirt Road
Subject: RE: Chased by dogs on bike - what do you do?

.  You know what would a handy and an easy thing to carry would be a telescoping baton that slides out when you swing it.  Maybe even a slapjack.  Those things would be easy to fit in a jersey or attach to a top tube.  They pack a serious punch and would give some leverage in an attack.

[/QUOTE

Excellent idea.

I would buy one if it came with a mounting option. You better get your patent.

2011-03-25 9:46 PM
in reply to: #3409920

User image

Veteran
Pittsburgh, PA

But still, the unanswered question is- has anyone actually shot a dog that was chasing them while cycling?  Even if you stopped your bike and shot it, it counts.

I know people have yelled, and have squirted, and have maced, so those are viable strategies in at least some situations.  Don't know yet if shooting with a gun is a viable strategy.

2011-03-25 11:13 PM
in reply to: #3410069

User image

Master
Chicago
jmot - 2011-03-23 8:04 AM
mfoutz - 2011-03-23 7:53 AM

I think it's more practical to come up with some ideas other than "carry a gun" on your daily ride. 

Why is that? 

Ummm...I would have to agree!
A gun? I think that is a wee bit extreme.  I too read the Pit Bull thread, and it made me sick to my stomach that so many people on here have been attacked, that's awful.

But carrying guns on runs and bike rides...seriously???
2011-03-26 7:52 AM
in reply to: #3415093

User image

Veteran
SE TX

miami9296 - 2011-03-25 11:13 PM Ummm...I would have to agree!
A gun? I think that is a wee bit extreme.  I too read the Pit Bull thread, and it made me sick to my stomach that so many people on here have been attacked, that's awful.

Yes, seriously. But something tells me you're not asking a question here.

The thread asks, "what do you do?" People answered that question, then explained their reasoning when questioned. So, are you going to answer the OP's question? Or did you just post to paint the behavior of others as extreme?

2011-03-26 7:59 AM
in reply to: #3415051

User image

Veteran
SE TX
chayes - 2011-03-25 9:46 PM

But still, the unanswered question is- has anyone actually shot a dog that was chasing them while cycling?  Even if you stopped your bike and shot it, it counts.

I know people have yelled, and have squirted, and have maced, so those are viable strategies in at least some situations.  Don't know yet if shooting with a gun is a viable strategy.

I have not. I was glad, however, that I had it with me when my truck was broken into at my favorite mtb trail.

Are you saying that a dead dog is the only evidence of a viable strategy?

2011-03-26 11:09 PM
in reply to: #3415093

miami9296 - 2011-03-25 11:13 PM

I think it's more practical to come up with some ideas other than "carry a gun" on your daily ride. 

Why is that? 

What is extreme about it?

If you need it, you have it.  If you don't need it, where's the harm?

Completely sensible to me.

On the other hand if you need it and don't have it, yer kinda screwed.  Sensible?

Do you carry a spare tire in your car?  Ever PLAN to use it?  Isn't carrying only one spare kinda foolish considering that you could experience 2 or more flats?

Edited by jmot 2011-03-26 11:11 PM

2011-03-27 4:02 AM

Regular
I'm really glad this topic came up again, and all the different options are interesting.
Dogs are my MAIN reason for avoiding a ride alone or constantly riding very large and busy roads: i figure enough cars distract the dogs to leave me alone, or if i get attacked there will always be someone to witness and help.

Here in France (80% of households have dogs), guns are not an option, and even if I could, I wouldn't hold one, since my main problem is fear and panic when faced with dogs: i'm already nervous about using the pepper spray appropriately (which is normally not allowed here either), so with a gun, the risk of shooting myself would be way too high - and frankly I think the pittbull attack dog is rare in my area, and I'd probably shoot a kind animal just curious and playful (since i can't really tell the difference when riding).

The water sprout technique is good, but again the dogs have to be close to do so, and by that time, I'd probably be shaking too much to use it effectively...i think that can only work for someone who is not too afraid of dogs in general.

I think I'm far from being the only one afraid of dogs and this is just and example: I went riding with my boyfriend Kevin (not at all afraid of dogs) the other day and a hunting spaniel was lying in the middle of the small country road we were on; we slowed down and he led the way (i was tempted to go behind the dog, but knew damn well that would not be a good idea): so we passed in front of the dog, who looked at Kevin go by silently and then the second I was in front of him flipped out barking and chasing me; naturally following my instinct i sped up (not much thanks to 12% incline - pyrénées thank you very much) - Kevin turned right around and yelled at him and he shut up and went home. My point: they sense my fear no matter how much I try to conceal it or face it. They also sensed his authority and lack of fear.

I've gotten better at managing it, but it is still a problem. I thought of getting a tiny hand whip...or one of those horns that people use at soccer games that make a horribly loud noise...
Or i can just keep riding large roads and enjoying exhaust from the numerous cars...
2011-03-27 4:10 AM

Regular
- just to respond to the "spare tire" example: for the unfortunately clumsy, panicky types that some of us are: a spare tyre isn't really dangerous when not used appropriately...however a gun (or even pepper spray) can do a bit of damage...i believe if you are not totally comfortable with the idea and the weaponn itself, then best not go down that road.
just my 2 cents!
2011-03-27 5:21 AM

User image

Veteran
Indianapolis
When I used to ride on the road I used one of the long frame pumps that mount on the crossbar of the bike. So it's about 2.5 feet long and can extend another foot when the pump action is worked.

Think 'dog polo' for very aggressive dogs.

2011-03-27 5:43 AM
in reply to: #3416106

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
jmot - 2011-03-26 11:09 PM

Why is that? 

On the other hand if you need it and don't have it, yer kinda screwed.  Sensible?

Do you carry a spare tire in your car?  Ever PLAN to use it?  Isn't carrying only one spare kinda foolish considering that you could experience 2 or more flats?

How many people are accidently killed by spare tires every year?

2011-03-27 6:38 AM
in reply to: #3416159

User image

Champion
Alabama
the bear - 2011-03-27 5:43 AM

Why is that? 

Millions!  'Course, I'm talking about that 'spare tire' around people's mid-section. 

Seriously, carrying a gun on bike ride is ridiculous.  If you are that fearful of dogs, 1. find a route that avoids them and/or 2.  carry some maze or mini-air horn.  The scenario was mentioned where a pit bull latches onto your leg.  In such a scenario, I would rather have a knife or a large rock to beat the dog rather than shoot the dog that has my leg in his mouth!

2011-03-27 7:33 AM

Why is that? 

How many lives are saved by them?

BTW, Guns don't accidentally kill anyone.  People mishandling guns do.  A gun has never harmed anyone.

Edited by jmot 2011-03-27 7:37 AM
2011-03-27 7:35 AM
in reply to: #3416177

Rogillio - 2011-03-27 6:38 AM

Why is that? 

Millions!  'Course, I'm talking about that 'spare tire' around people's mid-section. 

Seriously, carrying a gun on bike ride is ridiculous.  If you are that fearful of dogs, 1. find a route that avoids them and/or 2.  carry some maze or mini-air horn.  The scenario was mentioned where a pit bull latches onto your leg.  In such a scenario, I would rather have a knife or a large rock to beat the dog rather than shoot the dog that has my leg in his mouth!

I am intrigued by the fact that several here are eager to label it as ridiculous or extreme but no one can or will articulate WHY that is.

2011-03-27 8:21 AM
in reply to: #3416205

User image

Champion
Alabama

"I am intrigued by the fact that several here are eager to label it as ridiculous or extreme but no one can or will articulate WHY that is"

I'll take a stab:

1.  It would be like using a sledge hammer to crack a peanut

2.  A dog is not intimidated by a gun unless you fire it.  The noise can also be made with a airhorn.

3.  If you hit the dog who is only barking and you just THINK he is about to attack, you will face the retribution of the owner.  My dog might chase and bark but would NEVER bite or attack.  Someone shoots at my dog and I will shoot them.  Period.   In fact, fire a gun 'in the air' in my hood with kids all over the place and I'll assume I'm under attack and take you out with a 30.06 from my front porch.

4.  Requires a concealed weapon permit.  Go to the law enforcement and fill out a concealed weapon app and tell them you want to carry it on your bicycle to defend yourself against dog attacks.  Maybe they will grant it...I don't know. 

5.  The ONLY scenario where you would be justified in shooting a dog is when he has latched onto your  leg.  So then you have to unstow the gun, take the safety off and try to hit the dog w/o hitting your leg.

You can carry a watermelon on your bike for a snack but I think it is ridiculous and you can get the same benefit with less radical fruit.  

As always, these are just my opinions.  You asked why I thought it was ridiculous and I attempted to explain why I thought it was.  I'm a live and let die kind of person so people can do whatever the want, I really don't care....as long as they don't fire a gun in my neighborhood. 

So now, someone tell me the benefit (and scenario) there is to carrying a firearm over an airhorn and/or maise?

2011-03-27 8:31 AM

User image

the bear - 2011-03-27 3:43 AM

Why is that? 

How many peoples lives are saved by spare tires each year?
2011-03-27 8:47 AM
in reply to: #3416264

User image

Expert
Oklahoma
Rogillio - 2011-03-27 8:21 AM

"I am intrigued by the fact that several here are eager to label it as ridiculous or extreme but no one can or will articulate WHY that is"

I'll take a stab:

2.  A dog is not intimidated by a gun unless you fire it.  The noise can also be made with a airhorn.

3.  If you hit the dog who is only barking and you just THINK he is about to attack, you will face the retribution of the owner.  My dog might chase and bark but would NEVER bite or attack.  Someone shoots at my dog and I will shoot them.  Period.   In fact, fire a gun 'in the air' in my hood with kids all over the place and I'll assume I'm under attack and take you out with a 30.06 from my front porch.

4.  Requires a concealed weapon permit.  Go to the law enforcement and fill out a concealed weapon app and tell them you want to carry it on your bicycle to defend yourself against dog attacks.  Maybe they will grant it...I don't know. 

5.  The ONLY scenario where you would be justified in shooting a dog is when he has latched onto your  leg.  So then you have to unstow the gun, take the safety off and try to hit the dog w/o hitting your leg.

You can carry a watermelon on your bike for a snack but I think it is ridiculous and you can get the same benefit with less radical fruit.  

As always, these are just my opinions.  You asked why I thought it was ridiculous and I attempted to explain why I thought it was.  I'm a live and let die kind of person so people can do whatever the want, I really don't care....as long as they don't fire a gun in my neighborhood. 

So now, someone tell me the benefit (and scenario) there is to carrying a firearm over an airhorn and/or maise?

One of my good friends who is a district judge.  He told me if you are legally carrying a firearm when you are riding a bike and a dog comes into a road way and you feel threatened you could shoot the dog without legal repercussions.  Although you better know where your bullet is going.

2011-03-27 9:04 AM
in reply to: #3416290

User image

Champion
Alabama
EKH - 2011-03-27 8:47 AM

I'll take a stab:

One of my good friends who is a district judge.  He told me if you are legally carrying a firearm when you are riding a bike and a dog comes into a road way and you feel threatened you could shoot the dog without legal repercussions.  Although you better know where your bullet is going.

Yeah, "feeling threatened" is a very subjective phrase that would have to be resolved in civil court...assuming you are still alive after the redneck dog owner shoots you for killing his dog.  A civil court would have to dertermine if your sense of 'feeling threatened' was justified and therefore your use of lethal force was justified.  How close was the dog, what did you do to ward him off before you resorted to lethal measures, has the dog ever bitten anyone, etc?  But the threshold is much lower for the dog owner.  Many people think of their dogs as part of the family.  Shoot at one of my dogs and that is just one notch below shooting at one of my children.

Years ago a motorcyclist stopped at our house and told my dad that our dog was chasing him and that if he chased him again he was gonna shoot him.  My dad looked the man right in the eye and calmly said, "If you shoot him, I will shoot YOU."  The guy looked all flustered and rode off.

Lets be careful out there.

2011-03-27 9:40 AM

User image

Bronze member

The line about carrying a watermelon just cracked me up

Definitely not the turn I thought this thread would take when I originally posted. Makes for some interesting reading though!

2011-03-28 7:59 AM

New user

Yea, Personal Savers www.personalsavers.com looks like a good option.  Looks like they just got a good review from Active.com as a must have product.
2011-03-28 8:51 AM
in reply to: #3416264

I'll take a stab:

You should be aware:

1.  Many states do not allow law enforcement discretion in the issuing of concealed carry permits.  Do a little reading on the differences between "May Issue" and "Shall Issue" states.

2.  If you shoot someone for shooting your dog you will go to prison and your family will be ruined financially.  In the situation you present the armed cyclist would be dealing with a negligent discharge case and market value of the dog in court, worse case.

3.  There is a difference between a barking beagle in your yard and a rotweiller in full pursuit on public property.  Responsible dog ownership is very similar to responsible gun ownership.  When your potentially deadly dog is allowed to leave your yard without a leash you are negligent.  Please be a responsible dog owner.

4.  You are completely mistaken in point #5.  You should read up a bit on the law with regard to the justifiable use of deadly force in your state.  Also, my guns have no external safeties.  My safety is the finger here on the J key.

2011-03-28 8:57 AM
in reply to: #3416307

Rogillio - 2011-03-27 9:04 AM

I'll take a stab:

Yeah, "feeling threatened" is a very subjective phrase that would have to be resolved in civil court...assuming you are still alive after the redneck dog owner shoots you for killing his dog.  A civil court would have to dertermine if your sense of 'feeling threatened' was justified and therefore your use of lethal force was justified.  How close was the dog, what did you do to ward him off before you resorted to lethal measures, has the dog ever bitten anyone, etc?  But the threshold is much lower for the dog owner.  Many people think of their dogs as part of the family.  Shoot at one of my dogs and that is just one notch below shooting at one of my children.

Years ago a motorcyclist stopped at our house and told my dad that our dog was chasing him and that if he chased him again he was gonna shoot him.  My dad looked the man right in the eye and calmly said, "If you shoot him, I will shoot YOU."  The guy looked all flustered and rode off.

Keep your dog secured on your property and you won't have any problems.

How you view your dog and how the law views your dog are two different things.  In most states the court is allowed to give you market value for your dead dog.

Again, do a little reading on the justified use of lethal force in Alabama.

Your dad made a foolish statement.

Edited by jmot 2011-03-28 8:57 AM

2011-03-28 9:08 AM
in reply to: #3417577

User image

Champion
Alabama
jmot - 2011-03-28 8:57 AM

I'll take a stab:

How you view your dog and how the law views your dog are two different things.  In most states the court is allowed to give you market value for your dead dog.

My dog is secured on 6 fenced acres but fences fail, gates are left open, trees fall on the fences during storms, etc.  I don't have a problem with my dogs.  But if they did get out and  you shot and killed my Golden Retriever from your bike because you felt threatened, there would be hell to pay....don't really care what the law says....never have.

My dad made a lot of foolish statements....but he meant every word.  We had someone break into my house one time and wake my dad up with a Bowie knife under my dad's throat.  My dad knocked the knife away, got up and....well, never mind.  He was a read badass and not to be messed with.  He passed away about 11 years ago.  I miss him dearly.

2011-03-28 9:15 AM
in reply to: #3417565

User image

Champion
Alabama
jmot - 2011-03-28 8:51 AM

I'll take a stab:

You should be aware:

1.  Many states do not allow law enforcement discretion in the issuing of concealed carry permits.  Do a little reading on the differences between "May Issue" and "Shall Issue" states.

2. If you shoot someone for shooting your dog you will go to prison and your family will be ruined financially.  In the situation you present the armed cyclist would be dealing with a negligent discharge case and market value of the dog in court, worse case.  This would be decided in court.  Someone shoots my golden retriever it is reasonable to me to believe that my life is being threatened by some reckless maniac on his bike shooting dogs and maybe children....I had to take him out before he killed someone.

3.  There is a difference between a barking beagle in your yard and a rotweiller in full pursuit on public property.  Responsible dog ownership is very similar to responsible gun ownership.  When your potentially deadly dog is allowed to leave your yard without a leash you are negligent.  Please be a responsible dog owner.

4.  You are completely mistaken in point #5.  You should read up a bit on the law with regard to the justifiable use of deadly force in your state.  Also, my guns have no external safeties.  My safety is the finger here on the J key.  Pretty foolish and arrogant....and maybe even a violation of the state laws if you modified a gun to remove safety devices. 

2011-03-28 9:16 AM
in reply to: #3417607

Rogillio - 2011-03-28 9:08 AM
jmot - 2011-03-28 8:57 AM

I'll take a stab:

My dog is secured on 6 fenced acres but fences fail, gates are left open, trees fall on the fences during storms, etc.  I don't have a problem with my dogs.  But if they did get out and  you shot and killed my Golden Retriever from your bike because you felt threatened, there would be hell to pay....don't really care what the law says....never have.

My dad made a lot of foolish statements....but he meant every word.  We had someone break into my house one time and wake my dad up with a Bowie knife under my dad's throat.  My dad knocked the knife away, got up and....well, never mind.  He was a read badass and not to be messed with.  He passed away about 11 years ago.  I miss him dearly.

I am sorry to hear of your father's passing.

You are responsible for your dog.  Period.  If it is on public property acting aggressively and endangering others, that has potential consequences.  Even being playful, he can cause a cyclist severe injuries.  Folks who carry firearms are generally prepared to pay hell, hence their reasons for carrying.

A golden retriever?  I'd probably stop and pet him and bring him back to your yard.

2011-03-28 9:20 AM
in reply to: #3417624

Rogillio - 2011-03-28 9:15 AM
jmot - 2011-03-28 8:51 AM

I'll take a stab:

You should be aware:

2. If you shoot someone for shooting your dog you will go to prison and your family will be ruined financially.  In the situation you present the armed cyclist would be dealing with a negligent discharge case and market value of the dog in court, worse case.  This would be decided in court.  Someone shoots my golden retriever it is reasonable to me to believe that my life is being threatened by some reckless maniac on his bike shooting dogs and maybe children....I had to take him out before he killed someone.

4.  You are completely mistaken in point #5.  You should read up a bit on the law with regard to the justifiable use of deadly force in your state.  Also, my guns have no external safeties.  My safety is the finger here on the J key.  Pretty foolish and arrogant....and maybe even a violation of the state laws if you modified a gun to remove safety devices. 

Lots of handguns are manufactured with no traditional external safeties (thumb operated, etc.)  They're really pointless. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Chased by dogs on bike - what do you do? Rss Feed  

of 5