General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Solving the Speed Problem Video - Q&A with Terry Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2011-04-19 2:07 PM

User image

Veteran
New Paltz NY
Subject: Solving the Speed Problem Video - Q&A with Terry
Ron, your self-effacing host at Beginner Triathlete, was kind enough to record a presentation I gave at Multisport World Expo in Boston on Mar 19 and post that video as the lead article for the next few weeks. I'm in the course of writing a series of blogs to expand on the points I touch upon in the presentation. I'll republish those blogs here for those who may wish to discuss their own experiences or insights into the aspects of TriSwimming I mention in the presentation. I've divided the topics into nine blog posts, so over the next week or two, you'll see a series of 9 here too.

Here is the video:
http://beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=2244

The title of the slide-and-video talk was "Solving the Speed Problem". I could as easily have called it Little Known Facts about Speed. For brevity’s sake (because I’ll tweet each new installment) it’s Secrets of Speed on Swim Well Blog. http://www.swimwellblog.com

Problem and Secrets are both perfectly apt words to describe the challenges humans face when we try to swim faster. As you’ll learn in Part 3, our instincts are no help, as they lead us to increase Stroke Rate — and heedlessly decrease Stroke Length as we do. As Part 4 explains — and illustrates with some dramatic video — a shorter stroke is virtually certain to lead to slower swimming.

And as several parts explain, most of the things you’re told you should do to swim faster — pull and kick harder, stroke faster — fail far more often than they succeed. The only thing they’re guaranteed to do is make you tired faster.

That leaves us with the Little Known Facts. All of the thoughts, techniques and training approaches that really help you swim faster are things virtually no one thinks to do, and are rarely recommended.

We start by pondering the question: “How do we perceive the need for speed — and how does that perception lead us to respond?”

As I explain in the video, the perception may arise as innocently as seeing the guy or gal in the next lane at lap hour swimming slightly faster and wondering if you can keep up. Race On!

Even in the best of circumstances, we experience the ‘speed problem’ more emotionally than most other aspects of swimming – and nearly always react ineffectively.

In the worst of circumstances – the chaos of a triathlon swim – it’s impossible to think calm, clear or rational thoughts. Therefore it’s essential to set priorities, make plans — and particularly ingrain habits – in practice, when we have the chance for clear-headed thought and action.

From our own instincts, we move to the ‘orthodoxy’ of swim training. Traditional thinking about swim training suggests that the Solution to the Speed Problem is:
Faster Strokes
Bigger Lungs
Bigger Muscles

Parts 5 and 6 will explore why these solutions virtually never solve the Speed Problem and often make it worse. Parts 7 to 9 will describe alternatives that replace guesswork with mathematical predictability and precision.

2011-04-19 2:45 PM
in reply to: #3455097

User image

Expert
Wendell, NC
Subject: RE: Solving the Speed Problem Video - Q&A with Terry
Cheers TL Cool
2011-04-19 3:01 PM

User image

Regular
Indianapolis

Thanks for your videos! I recently started swimming again after being "taught" how to swim when I was pretty young. In November I wasn't even able to swim a lap in a 25 yard pool without feeling like I was going to drown. I even had to warn the lifeguard every time I went swimming because I was so horrible. Then I started watching some of your videos on here and practiced some of your drills. I learned how to relax and breath well in the water. It made swimming so much fun.

I just finished my first Sprint triathlon on Sunday and my 400m time was 7:20! Not bad for a guy that thought he was going to drown a few months ago, but the time wasn't even the best part. I kept passing people in the pool who were exhausted and either had to take a break at the wall or were just standing up. I, on the other hand, couldn't believe I was done because I had so much left over in the tank. I had tons of energy left for the rest of the race. 

Today, I decided to see how long I could go in the pool. I have never swam more than the 9 laps that were necessary to complete the triathlon. I decided to take it easy and not worry about the time, but I wore my lap counter just to see how I did. Unfortunately I had to stop early because of bad weather in the area and they closed the pool, but when I check it out I was shocked to see 27 laps in 26 minutes! 1350 yards and I felt like I could have swam all day! I wasn't even close to being tired or out of breath.

I can't thank you enough for all the advice you have put out for beginners like me! I can't wait to get a tempo trainer and work on improving my stroke even more.

Bo

2011-04-19 4:04 PM

User image

Master
Nashville, TN
thanks for posting the link to the talk, esp. for those that are not able to attend
2011-04-19 6:57 PM
in reply to: #3455204

User image

Veteran
New Paltz NY
 I can't wait to get a tempo trainer and work on improving my stroke even more.

Bo 

Bo

Being excited about Continuous Improvement is the key to avoiding the "OK Plateau." The Tempo Trainer will help too.  Let us know what you do with it and what insights may come.

2011-04-20 5:00 AM

User image

Veteran
Newcastle, England
Cheers Terry

Great video

I am a non coached swimmer and the bigest improvement i ever made was to go on one of your weekend traijning camps here in the UK, it help me relax and learn the importance of balance.

And this video has geve me more to think about again

2011-04-20 6:14 AM

User image

Master
Bolivia, NC
Great video, thanks.  I think that I have been concentrating too much on muscle integration lately and forgotten about working on stroke length.  That used to be a standard theme in my workouts.  Well I won't forget today!   Bob
2011-04-20 7:17 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pelzer, SC
Terry,
Thank you for your posts and support on this website. Your "Freestyle Made Easy" DVD is what I used to survive my first triathlon which included a 750m OWS.

I'm headed to the store to get a tempo trainer before my swim workout today. That sure seems better than keeping a constant my head. I've been trying to find a good cadence for my swim. Now I know of a way to find it.

I always think it is interesting to hear people talk about buying aerohelmets and discussing wind tunnel results for bike attachments. To me, being hydro seems like a more important topic. Rarely do I see a discussion about power to drag ratio in while referring to swimming.
2011-04-20 9:04 AM

User image

Master
Central Indiana

Thanks for the video!!

Terry- I'm below ave swimmer (100M PB 1:45, 8:10 400M).  You seem to suggest that training sessions should always try to maintain the SPL in individual target range.  If I have 60min for swim session but tire at 40min, is it OK to do drills (spear switches, balance, etc.) for remaining 20 min or just hit the showers until next time?

Edited by Oldteen 2011-04-20 9:04 AM
2011-04-20 9:52 AM

User image

Veteran
Springs
Thanks!!!  Your videos have helped me out a lot.  I went from a sprint of 750M swim in 24 min to a 1.2 mile swim in 35 min.  Keep up the good work.
2011-04-20 10:57 AM

User image

Regular
Lubbock, TX
The term "slippage" is used a few times in the video. I may have missed it, but I am not sure what "slippage" if when talking about swimming. Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

Thanks!!

2011-04-20 2:28 PM
in reply to: #3456583

User image

Master
Bolivia, NC

rgattis - 2011-04-20 11:57 AM The term "slippage" is used a few times in the video. I may have missed it, but I am not sure what "slippage" if when talking about swimming. Can anyone shed some light on this for me? Thanks!!

I think it has to do with your arm not being properly anchored in the water during the pull phase of the stroke.  I spent an hour working on maintaining 17 strokes per length today and in order to be successful I had to be sure to get a good catch with my left hand which I realized had gotten lazy.

2011-04-20 5:09 PM
in reply to: #3456246

User image

Veteran
New Paltz NY
Oldteen - 2011-04-20 9:04 AM

Thanks for the video!!

Terry- I'm below ave swimmer (100M PB 1:45, 8:10 400M).  You seem to suggest that training sessions should always try to maintain the SPL in individual target range.  If I have 60min for swim session but tire at 40min, is it OK to do drills (spear switches, balance, etc.) for remaining 20 min or just hit the showers until next time? 

OT

A key theme in the talk shown in the video is that Stroke Length is the primary element determining pace. If your SL decreases incrementally but steadily in the course of your swim leg, your pace is highly likely to slacken as well. 

If your goal is to swim a steady pace - at whichever pace is comfortable for you - then your practices should be pretty targeted to building neural circuits that are highly resistant to losing efficiency. In simple terms that means designing your practices to keep SPL (strokes per length) fairly consistent.

Since I made that my goal some 20 years ago, I've taken the attitude that all the other elements of set design are fungible. E.G. Let's say I'm doing a set of 10 x 100 on a 1:40 interval (which happens to be a set I did earlier today. If I aim to hold 15 SPL in that set, and midway through find I can't hold it, the first adjustment I'll make will be to add 10 sec or so to my rest interval. Often that will be enough to restore the level of efficiency I aimed for. But if that didn't do it, I'd consider shifting to 75-yd reps instead. 

It's pretty hard to go wrong if you make a relatively efficient SPL the main focus of a set or practice. 

As for your question about changing the content of practice in the final 20 minutes if you feel form degrading. I've made that exact choice many times. And I've also made the choice to end the practice if I don't think swimming for another 20 min will benefit me. 

FYI: Here's the set of 10 x 100 I did today, along with some notes. I'm in a 'sharpening' phase for USMS Nationals which start a week from tomorrow. My first event is 1000 Free. Here's what I wrote on the TI Discussion Forum about my goals for that event. >>1000-yd Free I feel a goal of 12:40 is realistic. If I have a great swim I might go 12:30. It will take an even split to a slight progressive split - swimming the second 500 one or two seconds faster than the first. So I'd have to split 6:16 and 6:14 to go 12:30. On Saturday I swam 500 in 6:13, which was my seasonal best by 9 seconds. >>

And my notes from today's set, on which I held consistent at 13-14-14-14SPL (by 25s)

>>10 x 100 FR on 1:40 Descend 1-3, 4-6, 7-10. Hold 13-14SPL

1-3: 1:21-1:20-1:19
4-6 1:20-1:19-1:18
7-10 1:21-1:19-1:18-1:17
This was a sharpening set for the 1000 Free. My plan was to swim 1 to 2SPL lower than I'll swim in the race, use a very controlled effort and descend three times in 10 x 100, aiming to use minimal effort to improve my pace by a second per 100 in each mini-cycle of 3-4 x 100. 

You can view the entire practice, and my goal statement for USMS Nationals here http://www.totalimmersion.net/index.php?option=com_jfusion&wrap=showthread.php%3Ft%3D2264

Edited by Total Immersion 2011-04-20 5:10 PM
2011-04-20 7:36 PM

User image

Master
Central Indiana

Terry-

Thanks again for your thoughts.

As experienced rec golfer (played >35+yrs, ex 8-handicap), it seems to me that learning good freestyle stroke is quite similar to learning the golf swing.  Both involve balanced, sequential, coordinated movements of upper body, core, and lower body to achieve best results.  And many times significant improvements can be VERY frustrating to achieve  Although some strength is clearly necessary to hit 250+yd drives, it is mainly NEURAL training of body timing & coordination that ultimately gets the job done consistently. A look at the effortless (and ageless!) power of Fred Couples illustrates the point.  Other pro golfers may swing with more physical effort (harder), but few hit it further. Those that do still have excellent coordinated rhythm to their swings (e.g. Tiger Woods). Flailing at endless buckets of balls at max (or near max) effort is no way to increase driving distance.  Just as lack of raw muscle strength is not the reason most male mid-handicap golfers cannot ave 250yd drives, my guess is that poor cardiopulmonary reserve is NOT main swim performance limiter for otherwise MOP triathletes (e.g. 20-23mph bike/21-24min run for sprint tri).  I do not understand the logic behind many coaches having below ave swimmers do repeated high-effort sets which too often only ingrain bad habits, or worse eventually break the swimmer's spirit when their initial improvement plateaus (or eventually even declines). Repetition of proper technique seems most efficient way to improve either the golf swing or the freestyle stroke.

2011-04-21 10:38 AM

New user
When you talk about strokes per length of the pool, does each arm count as a stroke, or should I just count one arm (such that right + left = 1 stroke)?  I tried counting yesterday, and I'm pretty consistent with 12 strokes (counting right arm only) getting me across a 25 yard pool.
2011-04-21 1:28 PM

Oklahoma City, OK
Thanks Terry! Count me among the thousands of others who learned to swim using your video and book (at 40 years old). While it was one of the most difficult things for me to learn (given years of deep water fear), it is now my proudest achievement and continued rewarding experience!

2011-04-21 5:29 PM

User image

Master
Sunny Southern Cal
Terry,

Great video, interesting stuff.

I plan to add some more swimming into my training again.  I've been keeping the swimming to a bare minimum while I have worked to build a run base over the past 1.5 years.

Right now, I swim maybe once a week, occasionally twice, for about 30 minutes.  All this is on a tether in my back yard pool, since it's so much easier than going to a gym or public pool somewhere.  While this approach has done a reasonably good job of keeping the power/fitness aspect of my swim going, I am sure that I have lost some efficiency in the water.  My 1.2 mile HIM swim slowed by a couple of minutes (29:xx to 31:xx) over the past couple of years with the decrease in swim training.

If I were to add a single, 1 hour swim session in a lap pool to my weekly regimen, what's the best use of that hour that I could make?  Should I work solely on form and stroke count?  I'm about 6' tall, so what's a good stroke range to shoot for in a 50m pool?  I used to do about 13-16 strokes in a 25 yard pool, 16 when pushing, 13 when focusing on form and SPL.  My sustained pace back then was somewhere around 1:20-1:25 per 100 yards during a distance set (1000+).

I have a 2004 copy of the TI book, but haven't looked at it in ages.  Any particular section/drill(s) in there that I ought to consider over others?

Thanks!
2011-04-21 5:33 PM
in reply to: #3457642

User image

Veteran
New Paltz NY

And many times significant improvements can be VERY frustrating to achieve:

Your application of the 'mature wisdom' afforded you from golf is a great insight into the spirit one should bring to swim practice.

In a recent blog It's a Crossroads, not a Plateau I addressed that common phenomenon of the period when it seems we've stopped progressing. Here's a brief excerpt:

>>In his 1992 book Mastery, the Keys to Success and Long Term Fulfillment, Aikido Master George Leonard describes what you’re facing as a defining moment for all of us: In most endeavors we improve quickly in the early stages, but improvement slows, then stops, as the skill requirements increase. (Because drag increases exponentially, this is a far more tangible matter in swimming than in, say chess, music or math.) What happens next reveals something fundamental about character.

Leonard says that when progress slows or stops, most people fall into one of two categories:

The Dabbler makes good initial progress. Upon encountering the plateau he loses enthusiasm, gives up and tries another activity . . . then repeats the pattern.
The Hacker hits the plateau then defines satisfaction as status quo. Rather than seek instruction or adjust his approach, he contents himself with that level.

But a fortunate few progress to a third category:

The Master displays mental discipline, persistence, and flexibility as her learning curve flattens. She understands that lessons learned more slowly have more meaning and permanence.>>

I'll be adding another blog post shortly where I write about learning to Love the Plateau, because it's where neural change - usually below the level of our perception - is happening. The duration of the Plateau can mean that positive change will be more durable.

2011-04-21 5:37 PM
in reply to: #3458691

User image

Veteran
New Paltz NY

bwalling - 2011-04-21 10:38 AM When you talk about strokes per length of the pool, does each arm count as a stroke, or should I just count one arm.

Any method of counting, so long as you're consistent, is fine. I count each hand entry because it's a bit more precise.

Just as Stride Length in running should be a factor of height, so should Stroke Length in swimming. Your SPL of 24 for 25 yds would be reasonably efficient if you were about 4'6" tall. If you're taller than that, your count should be lower. I included a chart on one slide in the video that shows 'efficiency ranges' for heights from 4'10" to 6'4".

2011-04-26 10:56 AM

User image

Veteran
San Diego, CA
Terry,

I enjoyed your talk. Always wanting to keep up on the latest and greatest in swim training technique, particularly as it applies to triathlon.

Here's my question. I've worked a bit this year with former Olympian Sheila Taormina on swim clinics. Some of what she is teaching is overlapping with what you are saying. However, things veer off when it comes to the importance of the high elbow catch. She points out that the one thing every great Olympic freestyle has in common is pulling with high elbows, and mastering this, not reducing drag, is how swimmers get faster in the water. It's also how she says at 5'2 she could compete and get a gold medal in the 4x200 relay in 96. And if you look at her stroke, it is not long, but the stroke rate is very high.

It would be interesting to see some sort of a head-to-head debate between the two of you. I think you both make valid points about swimming faster. I also think it makes a difference if we are talking sprint freestyle vs. swimming a mile in the open water, especially if we have a bike & run after it. How much faster should a triathlete even want to be? This is the angle I have taken. Speed is great, after we've mastered the stroke and are moving out from beginner status or back of the pack. But what percentage of triathletes have mastered freestyle to the point where adding significant speed is going to help them overall? I would say, it's a pretty low percentage.

Cheers,
Kevin
2011-04-26 11:31 AM
in reply to: #3459712

User image

Elite
Ontario
Total Immersion - 2011-04-21 6:37 PM

bwalling - 2011-04-21 10:38 AM When you talk about strokes per length of the pool, does each arm count as a stroke, or should I just count one arm.

Any method of counting, so long as you're consistent, is fine. I count each hand entry because it's a bit more precise.

Just as Stride Length in running should be a factor of height, so should Stroke Length in swimming. Your SPL of 24 for 25 yds would be reasonably efficient if you were about 4'6" tall. If you're taller than that, your count should be lower. I included a chart on one slide in the video that shows 'efficiency ranges' for heights from 4'10" to 6'4".

Here's my key question - how do you reduce your strokes?  At just over 6' your chart would indicate that I need 14-17 SPL, and I'm currently around 18-19, and when I start to fatigue I notice that it drops off to 20.  I then really need to focus on getting to the 18-19.  But I'm not sure how to go lower, without adding even more glide into my stroke.

I brought up your video in another group discussion, and some of the thoughts there were that lower SPL is great for pool swimming but less effecient than a high turnover in open water - Gary Hall Sr was reffered to as an advocate of a higher turnover.  So I'm admittedly a bit confused.  Your analogy of shorter strides in running makes a lot of sense to equate with shorter strokes in swimming, but there's also another school of thought that seems to contradict this. 

Not sure which makes more/less sense - and not sure how to drop my SPL.

2011-04-27 10:36 AM

User image

Veteran
Newcastle, England
Terry

I am a reasonbale but slow(ish) swimmer, my IM swim time is around 1:13 and i dont manage to get to the pool verry often ( average once per week across the year) so find it hard to come by improvements and of late i have been struggling with 8:08s for my 400m reps and feeling shatterd as a result.

Ive now watched you videos a few times on here (to refresh things in my head) and my effort has now reduced to a comfortable level and i am managing 7:44s avereage

Thanks

Can you recomentd any of your DVD's to help with my long swim?
AND would you recomend sticking with the tempo trainer as a way forward?

Will

Edited by WildWill 2011-04-27 10:36 AM
2011-04-27 11:07 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Harbor City/Torrance/Carson

Do you guys have a photo, screen shot, or time stamp for the stroke efficiency chart according to height?  I'm curious as to how SPL corerlates to height.

Thanks.

2011-04-27 2:18 PM

User image

Master
Bolivia, NC

It's in the video in the first post which isn't that long.  For me at 6 ft it is between 14 - 17 SPL.  I can do 16 but not for repeats.  Then I'm mostly 19 so I guess I need to work at it.

Edited by blynott 2011-04-27 2:19 PM
2011-04-27 3:42 PM

User image

I have been trying the technique now for 2 weeks, so 6 swims in total. When I do repeats, I used to swim 1:10 per 100 yards. With this new technique I swim 100 yards in 1:20. When I try to push it, I end up with my old stroke but a much faster time.

My question, do I just keep on practicing until the time goes down to 1:10?

Michael.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Solving the Speed Problem Video - Q&A with Terry Rss Feed  

of 2