Event Power
43F / 6C
Precipitation
Total Time = 38m 40s
Overall Rank = 5/347
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 2/38
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4:45 AM. Looked outside. Yup, it's raining. Ate a small bowl of oatmeal and drank one cup of black coffee.
Event warmup:

I ran from the Aquatic Center to my van, back and forth about 3 times - so about a 1.5 mile warm-up run. Swam 5 X 100 meters in the pool. I was really surprised most people chose NOT to do any swim warm-up laps. Odd.

I chatted with my friend Dan (Elroy303) met some new Sunrise Tri team members, chatted with Derrick (Sevenride). it was pouring outside and cold, but warm in the Aquatic Center.
Swim
  • 07m 5s
  • 400 meters
  • 01m 46s / 100 meters
Comments:

Back in 2008 (this was my first Triathlon race) I swam a 9:05. In 2009 the pool was closed for maintenance. In 2010 I swam a 7:40. Now, 2011 a 7:05. So it's taken me around a half million meters of swimming to knock off 2 minutes!! LOL!! Seriously.

I seeded myself further up this year, but still got stuck behind another athlete. I wasn't fast enough to quite blow past him so I just hung on his feet and drafted. A few other swimmers caught us and it cause a log-jam at the turns. As a result, I wasn't able to cleanly flip-turn and push off diagonally into the next lane. Regardless, unlike past years I felt 'in control' this entire swim and I'm pretty happy with my time.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing really. I swam 112k meters already this year. My swim fitness is excellent, but when athletes are allowed to seed themselves - people are always going to seed themselves faster than they are. I've learned to accept this.
Transition 1
  • 01m 1s
Comments:

6th OA
Last year my T1 time was :58 seconds. This year 1:01 which is actually really good considering Transition was a MUDDY MESS!! And considering, I RAN DOWN THE WRONG TRANSITION ROW!!

In short distance Triathlons Transitions are so damn critical. I've preached this time and time again, the fact that in prior races I've actually finished higher in the standings than athletes who have Swam, Biked and Ran faster than me because my Transition Times were faster. So for me to make a mistake like this bothers me.

Also, I promised myself I would race shirtless this year as I lost precious seconds last year putting my Tri Top onto a soaking wet torso. Since it was 44 degrees and raining, I decided I needed my top on. Meanwhile, the first place finisher in my AG (3rd OA) raced shirtless. I vow to race shirtless next year regardless of conditions (and the race organization does not have a particular rule against this).

Take more time to memorize my row. I normally do a mock run where I pretend I'm actually running out of the water in the race, and I run to my transition area. I can't express how fantastic a tool this is. And for some strange reason, this never-fail routine is something I did not do today. I'll blame the stormy weather for throwing me off my game ;)
Bike
  • 14m 32s
  • 6 miles
  • 24.77 mile/hr
Comments:

Despite my gaff in T1, I ran with my bike and ITU-style, running full-speed, I leapt onto my saddle and started cycling - feet atop the shoes, and once up to speed I slipped my barefeet in. I felt really good on the bike and despite the weather conditions I absolutely hammered the course. Last year my time was 14:45, and in stormy/windy conditions I cut off :13 seconds.

This course is definitely short. My real speed was probably closer to 22.5 MPH.

Nothing. I am beyond thrilled with 3rd OA.
Transition 2
  • 01m 22s
Comments:

142 OA
Last year my T2 time was :32 seconds and I was 2nd OA!!! This year I took my feet out of the shoes, did a perfect flying dismount, used the momentum to carry me quickly into the transition area.... and I RAN DOWN THE WRONG ROW AGAIN!! WTF is wrong with me!! Seriously, dammit!! I panicked and lost my bearings, my HR spiked, finally I went down the right row and slipped my Asics Speedstars on, grabbed my race belt and headed off.

Yeah, so this year it took me :50 seconds longer. And I honestly can't blame the mud, or weather; it was due to my lack of transition prep. And yeah, the athlete who finished one spot higher than me in the standings finished :12 seconds ahead of me. So, yeah, my transition screw up cost me 4th Place OA.

Practice what I preach and spend more time in transition pre-race doing mock transitions, and concentrating on where my actual bike rack is.
Run
  • 14m 31s
  • 2 miles
  • 07m 16s  min/mile
Comments:

Last year my time was 13:55, 12th OA. This year I ran :36 seconds slower and was 8th OA. There were a couple of HUMONGOUS puddles, and the overall conditions for running were pretty poor. Having done this race twice before in April, and once in August, I know exactly were the first turn-around cones are normally positioned. This year they were about an 1/8th of a mile further down! Which is fine, because everyone has to run the same distance. But I'm pretty good at knowing my run pace and I know my pace was closer to a 6:5X.

I thought about my Mentor Group during this run and used their positive thoughts to push me through.

Nothing really. A straight line wasn't always the fastest route due to some decent mud patches and puddles.
Post race
Warm down:

Sat in a hot tub with the other top 8 finishers. Good times :)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The cold, wet and windy weather conditions definitely slowed me down; however, everyone had to race in the same conditions. Truth is, I blew it on transitions. And that's why I love doing this Race as my first race of the season. It reminds me of the basics, the fundamentals. Now going into Rev3 Quassy 70.3 and Ironman Lake Placid I WILL MAKE SURE to be a lot more attentive to where my bike is racked.

Luckily my transition goof-up didn't cost me a ranking in my AG or a Top 3 OA spot. Live and Learn. Learn and forget, and then have to re-learn!! That's been my experience!!

Event comments:

This is a great race to start the season for a beginner or a seasoned veteran. And the truth is, I'm still a beginner!! And the truth is, despite the short distances, it still hurts just the same!! Just for a shorter amount of time.

HUGE CONGRATS to my buddy Derrick (Sevenride) for a 1st in his AG and my friend Dan (Elroy303) for 2nd in his AG. If not for my mistake in T2, I would have only been 2:20 from 1st Place OA, and 1:32 from a Top 3 spot. So with continued time in the Pool, as well as Biking and Running fo course, I know an OA Podium is a realistic goal for me at this event. A goal I intend to chase until I've captured it. :)

Also, a huge thanks to all the amazing volunteers clad in raincoats and plastic bags, braving the stormy conditions so we could race.

Last updated: 2011-03-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:05 | 400 meters | 01m 46s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/38
Overall: 28/347
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Time Trial in a 50 meter pool. They sent us off every 5 seconds. Snaked through 8 lanes.
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:01
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:14:32 | 06 miles | 24.77 mile/hr
Overall: 3/347
Wind: Strong
Course: 3-loops in a park
Road: Rough  Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:22
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Bad
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:14:31 | 02 miles | 07m 16s  min/mile
Overall: 8/347
Course: 2-mile loop through a park. Half pavement, half grassy fields.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-04-25 12:08 PM

User image

Subject: Mini MightyMan Triathlon

2011-04-25 1:06 PM
in reply to: #3464573

User image

Pro
Norwalk, Connecticut
Subject: RE: Mini MightyMan Triathlon

nice job!!!  doesn't it feel great to go balls to the wall for 40 minutes??  Bobby, i have said it before and i will say it again, you are going to have a career year!!!

congrats

2011-04-25 1:18 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Great race, Bobby.  I'm definitely going to practice some transitions  at the race site before my first tri this year in June.

Shirtless or just a tri top in 44 degree rainy weather?  You guys are animals!

2011-04-25 6:11 PM

User image

Master
Goodyear, AZ
Great job! Every second counts in a sprint, its amazing how quick you have to do everything.
Congrats on a great race and it's nice that you have a race to go back to each year
2011-04-25 7:31 PM

User image

Veteran
Phoenix
Great race report!  Congrats! 
2011-04-26 3:39 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Long Island

Great race in crappy conditions, the weather SUCKED Saturday. Congrats on the AG podium.

Edited by Sammeg 2011-04-26 3:39 PM

2011-04-26 7:12 PM

User image

Expert
Ann Arbor, MI
Now that's kickin' the tri season off RIGHT! Congrats on a great finish in both AG and OA Love the way you can reflect back on all the places you can gain time for future races. That's going to be huge this year!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Mini MightyMan Triathlon Rss Feed