The Virginia Capital Trail Foundation
74F / 23C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 16m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Got up early, had breakfast and drove up to Richmond. Packet pick up....find Susan....hit the portapotty cause my coffee needed to go.
Event warmup:

Walking from parking spot to the packet pick up and finding Susan...
Bike
  • 3h 16m
  • 50 miles
  • 15.31 mile/hr
Comments:

I have done this event for a couple of years. I would have loved to do the full Century again, but it has been a VERY LONG ROAD back from last season's gastrocs tear. I am thankful I can do this much because I honestly wasn't sure I could or should up to the last minute sign up.

This ride starts off on a little hill, it was crowded and I couldn't get clipped in properly. So, I lost Susan and company pretty early. No worries, found her within 15 or 20 minutes. We were supposed to ride with a bunch of Susan's friends who had a "no drop" policy. Haha, we were dropped.

We met up with a guy named Tony and sucked his wheel most of the day. Tony is a very storong rider. Susan had fun with his speed.

I made sure to stop at every rest stop (about 12 miles apart) to stretch my legs and refuel. Took a good 5 minutes at every stop (not reflected in my time)

By the time we hit the third stop Tony's friend, William was dragging so Susan and Tony left William with Lisa and I. They were averaging 13 miles an hour which was way slower than I wanted to go. It's a hard balance for me to not go too fast (which would hurt my legs) or to be really slow prolonging the pedaling time which would also irritate my legs. I dropped them with about 10 miles to go, just couldn't keep moving that slowly.

Most of the roads were much better marked than last years debacle....but there was one stretch that I was riding alone on that wasn't so clearly marked. Oh joy, and my phone battery keeps dying because we are due to upgrade phones next month so I am not sure I have enough juice in the phone to call if I get lost. Thankfully, I was on the right track and I was very glad when I saw other bike jerseys up ahead!!

Rode back to my car. Dropped off my bike and changed into flip flops, stretched again. Wandered to the post race party and had a nice lunch.

First picture is some guy I saw at the start whose jersey I really liked!

Second picture is Susan at our first rest stop

Then there's Tony, William, Lisa and Susan

Last one is all of us.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. Perfect day, perfect conditions. Paced conservatively to avoid re tweaking my gastrocs because 9 months of PT was long enough.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked to post race party, enjoyed a nice vegetarian wrap, cole slaw and baked beans. Hung out with the whole gang and we gave each other crap about the "no drop" drops!!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Returning post gastrocs tear, longest ride in about a year.

Event comments:

Liked the 50 mile option. Was glad I wasn't doing the full Century because my legs would have been toasted!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2011-04-25 12:00 AM
Biking
03:16:00 | 50 miles | 15.31 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Wind: Little
Course: Very nice course out of Richmond into Charles City and back.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-05-07 1:47 PM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Subject: Capital to Capital Century

2011-05-07 6:19 PM
in reply to: #3486808

User image

Master
Canandaigua
Subject: RE: Capital to Capital Century
Nice job, tough staying conservative isn't it?
2011-05-08 2:30 PM
in reply to: #3487073

User image

Elite
Quebec, Canada
Good job out there I am happy to see that everything went fine!
2011-05-11 12:58 PM
in reply to: #3486808

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Glad you were able to heal up and participate in the half!  Nice job getting back in the game!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Capital to Capital Century Rss Feed