United States
Set Up Events
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 26m 58s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Got some grub (bagel and muscle milk and coffee) stretched out and milled around the race start/ transistion
Swim
  • 00m
  • 2112 yards
  • / 100 yards
Comments:

Swim start was to begin at 7:05...was postponed for 15mins, then another 15mins then pushed up to 8am due to incredibly foggy conditions. Site buoys were not even visible off the dock. about 10mins til 8am, the RD cxled the swim portion and decided to go with a TT start of 10 racers at a time. (It was also at this time the fog lifted. The RD was unable to get the emergency crew back in place for the water safety). I was kinda bummed that I didnt get to swim as this would help spread out the pack that was going to ensue in the bike course.
Transition 1
  • 01m 10s
Comments:

Ran in flip flops from the swim exit and threw on the bike gear. Ran past the mount line passing 5 or 6 people doing the standing swingover mount and gave a good flying mount into the saddle. I missed my one foot clip in but got it in the next rotation.
Bike
  • 2h 39m 29s
  • 56 miles
  • 21.07 mile/hr
Comments:

This course was insane due to the no swim leg of the race. So many cyclists were on the road in the beginning lengths. I settled into a 25mph ride on the way out and felt great as I settled in for the haul. That was until about 5-7 miles out, I whacked a road joint at about 30mph which unknowingly launched my rear bottles of infinite out of the holders and into my dust. By the time I realized the importance of this loss I has long gone and didn't think turning around to get them was important

That was an extremely bad move on my part.I had absolutely no fluids until the aid station at mile 18. I snagged 2 bottles of water and thirstily drank one halfway down and squirted the rest into my aero bottle (which was part of my initial plan- use the rear for nutrition and the aero for the water on course).

I was hammering and was making great time. I passed a few of the mini pelotons that formed and I myself became joined by about 4-5 others at my speed that we kept passing each other back and forth for a good portion of the course. I'd look back and there'd be 2 guys tucked in right behind me. Then they'd cut out and pass and one would cut in front of me and the the other tall guy would sit to the right in the passing zone. It was a similar setup where I was executing a pass because of the slowness ahead that led to my drafting penalty. I was following the tall guy who always rode in the middle to middle-left in the road and i saw the officials coming...bc the guy never fully completed the pass I fell back to the right and was trying to coast slower and even put my hand up like "WTF!" as he sat in the passing zone. The ref motored up and wrote down my number and sped off...I knew is was being cited for drafting which was shit to me. (There were no blocking cites on the course). Was I drafting at this moment?! Not really I was backing off as the pass wasn't there bc the passing rider failed to overcome the slower rider. Had I drafted at all in this route (oh hell yes) EVERYONE was....it was ridiculous..I didn't do it much but I wasnt about to back off of someone passing me and they sit their happy ass right in my line...why should I slow?

I continued on and actually never dropped below 21mph even on the return into the head wind. I kept drinking what I could but could feel myself losing it. I decided at the 40mile area that i had a decision to make, hammer out and just have a hell of a bike leg and screw the run, or slow my roll and save for the run as I had little to zero energy left in my legs.

I decided to hammer on.

I was doing great and kept at a 21-22 mph pace (last year I was going 17mph at this point)! But I finally hit the wall at 50miles. My body bonked and I had no more gusto. It was somewhere around this time when my friend Blake passed me giving a pinch in my ass was he zoomed by. I was out of aero and in the horns scrambling to keep up. I gave it all and my all was only at 18mph. I started to lose some ground but at least kept ahead the "group" that I rode with. As I approached the bike finish, I switched into my high spin gearing to prep my legs to for the run. I eased out of my shoes and pedaled on top of them. Flawless leg over coast into the dismount trot.

Transition 2
  • 01m 23s
Comments:

I saw Jennifer and Kate as I entered transition and I hear them screaming me on. I just shook my head as I knew I was zonked. So zonked that as I racked my bike and popped off my helmet, my vision spun a bit and I got nauseated and dizzy. I stood there to recompose myself as I made the decision to try to run. I snagged a handful of gels and my visor and off I went..INTO THE BIKE EXIT...(apparently I was a bit disoriented too)!! As I trotted around T, I stopped at Jennifer to try to explain, but I was ultimately gassed and made no sense to her. Off I trotted.
Run
  • 2h 40m 21s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 12m 14s  min/mile
Comments:

This was the most difficult run I've ever had, period. I could not swing my legs in front of the other one I was so weak. I ran out about 0.5 miles and had to stop to lean up against a street sign. I squatted there and just thought to myself, 'what the fuck are you doing?!!'. I was so weak, my vision was a bit skewed still...I just didn't feel at all right. As I squatted there, other runners were passing checking in on me as they trotted by. Giving encouraging words like "you got this, man!" or "just keep the forward motion, it will be over soon!". Jon even ran by me and was showing concerns...

I stood up and told myself, make it to the 1st mile aid station and I'll make the call. I walked. I stumble- trotted and my legs actually came back a bit. It must have been from the Gel I just sucked down. So I popped another and made it to the aid. I stood there and ate 4-5 orange slices, and chugged Heed and water. I scavenged the good tasting gels and stuffed my pockets and off I went to mile 2. Erin cruised by on the bike and shouted some props.

About 1/4 from that first stop I threw up. Straight electrolytes...ugh..Heed.

I continued on as I popped a gel. I got this notion that if I just keep popping gels I can use that sugar high to keep going. So thats what I did. Mile 2 complete. I was still looking for an out, but my drive told me to keep going that I can quit at any time but at least go until it is physically impossible to go any further. So off I went. I had an ice towel on my neck at this point. It felt glorious. Dave passed at this point and gave encouragement.

At about mile 4 I got my grove back. At every aid station, I walked it and chugged Heed and water. Granted I hated the stuff, I needed it. I got my shuffle down and actually got back into the run. I was pulling it all back together. Blake was on his return as he passed giving a handshake. I was going to do this. I got to mile 5 I heard a familiar voice behind me. Brad had caught up. Erin was on the bike next to him. We exchanged some words and I tried to give chase. I did, but not as fast. I hit the turnaround and I thought hell, I just did half of this with my "gel plan" might as well keep at it.

I ran until I had no gusto. I'd give a bit of a walk as I pounded a gel and would run some more. This fellow runner, Mike caught up to me and was like "Hey we seem to be doing the same thing here...want to run together?!" I agreed and we pushed each other. Mike was from Norfolk. We chatted as we trotted and it assisted on forgetting the crappiness of the situation and healed a bit of the pain. Mile 8, check. We caught up to this other struggling guy, Jeff. He was in his 50s and was having a similar day and decided to join in on the group run. Mile 9 complete. Mike had really slowed and disengaged out group. I was getting a second wind and Jeff tailed me. We talked and actually knew similar people (he was from wilmington). We actually got back into a full run by mile 11. He was one of those stay cool wise athletes who had great tone to his story and wisdom snippets that just made this part of the run fun. He joked how his tri coach was going to be extremely upset with today's performance. We got to the mile 12 aid station.

I told him this last mile we're giving it all and not stopping- this was the last mile was uphill. Off we went slowing a bit just below the crest of the hill. We could hear the crowd cheers and soon saw the turn in into the chute. Jeff looked over and said "go ahead, Scottie...run up there and let them call your name out". So that I did, I gave a thanks for the pull and off I went into the chute and through the finish.
Post race
Warm down:

I stood there nauseated from all the gels and completely drained yet amazed that I just ran a half mary on sugar alone!!!

Last updated: 2011-05-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:00:00 | 2112 yards | / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:10
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:39:29 | 56 miles | 21.07 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind: Some
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:23
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:40:21 | 13.1 miles | 12m 14s  min/mile
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2011-05-08 8:05 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh
Subject: White Lake Half I

2011-05-08 8:23 PM
in reply to: #3488291

Subject: RE: White Lake Half I
Hey Scottie, my name is Brad.  I was the guy on the red and white Kuota Kalibur that got hung up with you by the guy sitting in the left middle of the lane.  Really frustrating.  I think the two of us probably would have just kept passing each other back and forth but there were times where I couldn't get around you b/c big tall road biker guy was just sitting there so I had no choice but to try and legally sit in.  I don't feel like the two of us intentionally gained an advantage, more or less found ourselves in a weird/tough situation.  Great ride though man, sorry about your nutrition problems.  Way to fight through the run.  
2011-05-08 8:31 PM
in reply to: #3488323

User image

Master
Raleigh

Hey Brad...awesome you found this post! Yea, I mean, did I deserve the drafting penalty...yes. There was no way to avoid it at times. But that guy made it diffucult to get around and I think all of us had rotated a good 4-5 times out there... 

As you can see it resulted in minimal gain in the end for me...lol! Hope you had a great race!

2011-05-09 8:14 AM

User image

Elite
Raleigh

Loved the mental attitude on the run! Sounds a lot like my Augusta run, only faster! Maybe you should put your nutrition in you aero bottle and water behind. That way if you lose the water you can replace it at the aid stations.

Way to stick it out!

2011-05-09 8:25 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Raleigh, NC
Proud you you for sticking it out...even though I was worried, I knew you wouldn't to anything (too) stupid.
2011-05-09 8:26 AM
in reply to: #3488829

User image

Master
Raleigh

I was ready to towel it in at mile 3 honestly. It was the other guys on the course that pushed me through...for that I thank them. That's the best part about the tri-community, even though we're competing, there is always a certain kindness to everyone.

I think the Mike and Jeff provided the best distraction of all which led to my finish.

So they're giving a discount for next wknd's half..hmmm

Edited by halfpint 2011-05-09 8:27 AM

2011-05-09 11:21 AM

User image

Elite
N Carolina

Scottie,

I was doing much the same thing as you on the run.  I was feasting at all the aid stations and those wet towels were a lifesaver.  I wanted to quit many times, but couldn't let myself do it.  A training buddy caught me on the run at the last corner (Wasquam store) and paced me to the finish line.  We are in the same AG and I think I finished just a few minutes before you.  That discount sure is tempting......

Jason Parker, bib #37

2011-05-09 1:35 PM

User image

Master
Chapel Hill, NC
wow, way to come back on that run. remember that. hold on to that for your ironman, as you will need it!
2011-05-09 4:56 PM

User image

New user
Salisbury

nice run report Scottie, hey it sounds like you really improved your bike from last year to this year what made the difference? I was happy with my 2:19 run under duress, but dissapointed in my all alone slugging of a 3:14 bike.

Like to know what you did to improve your bike, Thanks in advance kenney

2011-05-09 6:48 PM
in reply to: #3490159

User image

Master
Raleigh
kenbert61 - 2011-05-09 5:56 AM

nice run report Scottie, hey it sounds like you really improved your bike from last year to this year what made the difference? I was happy with my 2:19 run under duress, but dissapointed in my all alone slugging of a 3:14 bike.

Like to know what you did to improve your bike, Thanks in advance kenney

All I've done was ride in the off season. The group I ride with isn't exactly slow so, I've been giving chase to them for some time now. You can tell this as the female open winner of the sprint is one of those I chase...lol.

So I guess my secret is saddle time. That and most definitely ride with people that challenge you.  IOS group rides in our area give a good challenge too. I also tapped into spin classes...it helps me to pedal through the burn point I used to have. 

I rode the WL course about 2 weeks ago and I was pulling 21mph on the last leg in the wind (this was right after the tornado) so I knew I was going to get a good split. So I highly doubt my "drafting" had much of a difference in my outcome, as i hit those numbers alone in my training run.

Edited by halfpint 2011-05-09 6:49 PM
2011-05-10 11:41 AM

User image

New user
Salisbury
Thanks Man

2011-05-10 12:21 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
In front of computer when typing this.
I think the same bumps knocked my accelerade off last year! It absolutely sucks when that happens. Sorry your run was not ideal...sounds really hard. Good prep for Florida though! Hang tough dude!
2011-05-10 5:08 PM

User image

Expert
Johns Creek, Georgia
You made the best of an ever changing situation.  Good bike time!  WL is a tough venue due to the heat and wind!  Good prep for IMFL!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » White Lake Half I Rss Feed