Vass, North Carolina
United States
Woodlake
Total Time = 1h 39m 45s
Overall Rank = 29/76
Age Group = 45 - 49
Age Group Rank = 6/9
Pre-race routine:

Had coffee, then a protein powder drink and a slice of whole wheat bread. Drove to race site.
Event warmup:

Getting into my wetsuit was the warm up! I was hanging out with my Tri Club members and we could not decide if we wanted to wear wetsuits or not. We decided at the last moment to put them on. We figured we should train in them as much as possible and this would likely be the last opportunity this spring. But by the time we got into our wetsuits, I didn't have time to warm up in the water, so I just went for a quick dip to get everything adjusted.
Swim
  • 11m 58s
  • 600 yards
  • 01m 59s / 100 yards
Comments:

Stayed comfortably steady the whole way. Could have pushed harder.

Photobucket

Photobucket
What would you do differently?:

Speed up more once I'm into a groove.
Transition 1
  • 02m
Comments:

I had a really hard time getting my wetsuit off over the timing chip which was about the size of a 1970's cell phone. I'm surprised those timing chips didn't cause us to sink to the bottom of the lake.

Try to leave timing chip under wetsuit leg. Wetsuit came above chip.
Bike
  • 57m 8s
  • 17.2 miles
  • 17.81 mile/hr
Comments:

I had issues gearing my Tri bike on the hills. Being a Tri bike with 650 wheels makes the gearing a LOT different from my road bike, and I only had one hilly practice run on it before the race. Most of my Tri bike rides have been flat.

I dropped the chain once while passing up a hill, which means I was to the left when it dropped. The person I was passing was still to my right and all I could think was, "is anyone behind me?" I started yelling that I was rolling and signaling that I needed to pull over; was so afraid of getting into someone's path. Finally was able to pull over safely and put it back on but now I had to get going back up that hill again. Came unclipped once too. Not sure what was up with that; I've never randomly come unclipped before.

Still was a bit faster than last year, which was a surprise since I haven't biked all winter.

Need to smooth out the gearing on hills with the Tri bike.
Transition 2
  • 01m 27s
Comments:

Fumbled with the Garmin a bit here (as usual).

Learn to use the multisport function on the Garmin so that I don't have to manually switch it from bike to run.
Run
  • 27m 10s
  • 3 miles
  • 09m 09s  min/mile
Comments:

I was most disappointed with the run. The heat/humidity got to me and I was sluggish. I planned on running 8:34s, but just couldn't get my legs moving. Missed a water stop because I thought there was another at the end of the dirt turnaround point. There was not. I felt overheated and dehydrated.

Photobucket

Flash and Dash had a photo finish!
Photobucket

Better hydration.
Post race
Warm down:

Photobucket

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of training over the winter months. This winter/spring was spent on long slow runs in preparation for my first marathon followed by first ultramarthon. Did virtually no swimming or biking and most running was done at a long slow pace.

This race was not originally on my schedule since I knew I would not be in shape for it. But I could not stand being left out while my friends were racing! So I signed up at the last minute.

I was actually surprised that I was 4 min faster than last year since last year I had trained all winter and was coming off of my first HIM. So I was in much better shape than this year.

All in all, it was a good season opener training race. I have not done a Tri since Beach-to-Battleship last November; 6 months ago! So I was happy to start getting back into race mode.

Event comments:

This is such a great little local race. I mean... how many Sprints give finisher's medals to all participants? There are tons of awards and medals and door prizes, plus hotdogs with fixings. It's just a great family event!

Last updated: 2011-05-09 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:11:58 | 600 yards | 01m 59s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/9
Overall: 0/76
Performance: Average
Suit: Vortex full
Course: Out and back.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 77F / 25C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:00
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:57:08 | 17.2 miles | 17.81 mile/hr
Wind:
Course: Hilly out and back.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:27
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:27:10 | 03 miles | 09m 09s  min/mile
Performance: Below average
Course: Dirty muddy trail with the last stretch on pavement.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2011-05-30 5:27 PM

User image

Expert
, North Carolina
Subject: Woodlake Sprint Triathlon

2011-05-31 8:40 AM
in reply to: #3524697

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Woodlake Sprint Triathlon

Very nice! 

Sub 2:00/100 pace on the swim and 18+ mph on the bike (even with the chain/clip issues). 

2011-05-31 2:39 PM

User image

Concord, NC
Gold member
Excellent report and a good way to get back into the triathlon realm of things.  Nice picture of the lake with the folks going past the buoys too.  Great job!!!
2011-06-03 8:21 AM

User image

Elite
N Carolina
Congrats, Maria40nc!!!!  Do you think the swim was accurate this year?  Last year, many people felt it was about 100 yards long.  Good job on posting a faster time!!!!!!!
2011-06-03 2:04 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frederick, Maryland
Again, congrats and good report, nice pics (especially Flash and Dash ). Interesting you were 4 min faster than last year and just decided to do this race. Sometimes, I wonder whether we just get ourselves in a tizzy about training and that just makes things worse. Well, anyway, congrats again and will look forward to your next one!
2011-06-06 8:02 AM
in reply to: #3530522

User image

Expert
, North Carolina

japarker24 - 2011-06-03 9:21 AM Congrats, Maria40nc!!!!  Do you think the swim was accurate this year?  Last year, many people felt it was about 100 yards long.  Good job on posting a faster time!!!!!!!

I'm honestly not sure. Part of me wonders if it was short because my swim time was a little faster than expected.  Actually, one of my teammates wore her garmin.  I'll ask if she got an accurate reading on it.

2011-06-06 8:05 AM
in reply to: #3531401

User image

Expert
, North Carolina

sbrdave - 2011-06-03 3:04 PM Again, congrats and good report, nice pics (especially Flash and Dash ). Interesting you were 4 min faster than last year and just decided to do this race. Sometimes, I wonder whether we just get ourselves in a tizzy about training and that just makes things worse. Well, anyway, congrats again and will look forward to your next one!

LOL... too true Dave!  Why is it SO HARD to do a race just for "fun" and not get worked up into a tizzy about split times?!?

(sigh)  Just part of the sport I guess.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Woodlake Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed