Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Conservative Republicans Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2011-06-03 1:08 PM
in reply to: #3530949

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: Conservative Republicans

What completely boggles my mind about Palin isn't Palin....it's her devoted following that think she is the second coming of sliced bread. I mean I have never been able to wrap my head around that one. She is so fiercly defended, so blindly followed.... FOR WHAT?.... pretty much lost hope for my country from that. I feel the political landscape is in such disrepair that we will never recover. Washington isn't the solution, it's the problem. They are leading us to ruin and laughing all the way to the bank while the voting public plays the Party's game.

Suicide for Republicans to pick her. She is even more polarizing than Hillary and I didn't think that was possible.

Edited by powerman 2011-06-03 1:10 PM

2011-06-03 1:19 PM
in reply to: #3531266

User image

NC
powerman - 2011-06-03 2:08 PM

Suicide for Republicans to pick her. She is even more polarizing than Hillary and I didn't think that was possible.

Hillary should run as a Republican.

2011-06-03 1:20 PM

User image

Master
Boynton Beach, FL

I have more in common with Ron Paul vs. any other candidate.   Sadly, he misses the mark on what wins popular vote in this Country, style vs. substance. 

I can still remember when Sarah was introduced as VP candidate.   GOP friends were discussing up-side while I was cursing the decision.   I do think she has been blasted by the press and shown in very poor light, but similar to existing PResident, she simply does not have the experience needed for the office.   I want someone with private sector experience and so far they are few and far between. 

2011-06-03 1:25 PM
in reply to: #3531191

User image

Pro
the Alabama part of Pennsylvania
AcesFull - 2011-06-03 1:35 PM

Romney or Pawlenty are probably the GOP's best shot, but both will have trouble getting past the primaries.  Reality is, Americans generally like to elect people they see as moderate, but getting past the GOP primary at this point will require very conservative views.  Palin fits the bill for the primary, but not the general. 

As others have said, Palin comes off very much like someone who hasn't studied and is faking her way through the test.

I think the problem on both sides of the aisle is that the primaries tend to play to the fringes (who are more likely to be politically active enough to vote in a primary) while the general elections will have to play to the center (alienating the "base" - which is usually actually the fringe) where the more general populace is likely to vote. It also opens up charges of "flip flopping", or pandering, but I think that is, unfortunately, the system we have now created.  Perhaps the smoke filled back room deals were not so bad after all.

2011-06-03 1:40 PM
in reply to: #3531285

User image

Elite
Goosedog - 2011-06-03 12:19 PM
powerman - 2011-06-03 2:08 PM

Hillary should run as a Republican.

Just need to change hats.

2011-06-03 1:40 PM

User image

Pro
Tejas
One thing is certain, a lot of time and money is being spent to discredit her. http://news.yahoo.com/s/washpost/abushelofpinocchiosforpalin . Look no further than the last sentence of paragraph two. Sums things up for me. You dont need to actually hear what she said, the kind folks at yahoo will tell us. No doubt the same story is running on cnnmsnbcabccbs as I type. Bottom line; she scares the bejeebers out of the other side.

2011-06-03 1:44 PM
in reply to: #3531302

User image

Pro
Tejas
gearboy - 2011-06-03 1:25 PM
AcesFull - 2011-06-03 1:35 PM

Romney or Pawlenty are probably the GOP's best shot, but both will have trouble getting past the primaries.  Reality is, Americans generally like to elect people they see as moderate, but getting past the GOP primary at this point will require very conservative views.  Palin fits the bill for the primary, but not the general. 

As others have said, Palin comes off very much like someone who hasn't studied and is faking her way through the test.

I think the problem on both sides of the aisle is that the primaries tend to play to the fringes (who are more likely to be politically active enough to vote in a primary) while the general elections will have to play to the center (alienating the "base" - which is usually actually the fringe) where the more general populace is likely to vote. It also opens up charges of "flip flopping", or pandering, but I think that is, unfortunately, the system we have now created.  Perhaps the smoke filled back room deals were not so bad after all.

Another thing with the primaries, the last one in particular was that it was over on the R side before they got to Texas. I never got a chance to vote against McCain.

2011-06-03 1:47 PM
in reply to: #3531352

User image

Champion
Menomonee Falls, WI
As a conservative, I believe Palin serves a purpose even if she is completely unelectable as a candidate.

She can draw attention to issues that would not otherwise be covered and can say things that legitimate candidates may think but would never say. The Left will also spend considerable time, money and effort to discredit her and all they'll end up doing is making the legitimate GOP candidates look more moderate and electable by comparison. Finally, in the end, she'll also be able to throw considerable support behind whichever GOP candidate turns out to be the frontrunner.

I've said this before and every day it's getting closer to happening. Eventually, Paul Ryan will get in this race and he will be not only the GOP candidate, but the next president of the United States. Mark it down.

2011-06-03 4:12 PM

I too think Paul Ryan will be in the race, his path to prosperity is going to get him that nod.  He may be in a VP spot but I think he's going to be in there this election.  Someone who isn't in the limelight for the GOP is going to come out of the woodwork soon.

If ever there was a time for Republicans to win an election it is right now, take a look at the congressional and senate elections.  People understand if you make $1000 a month and spend $1200 that it is not going to work.  Your credit cards will be maxed, house taken, and no one is going to lend you another penny.  I think America is in favor of some big austerity measures.

No ones going to vote for Palin

2011-06-03 4:15 PM

I too think Paul Ryan will be in the race, his path to prosperity is going to get him that nod.  He may be in a VP spot but I think he's going to be in there this election.  Someone who isn't in the limelight for the GOP is going to come out of the woodwork soon.

If ever there was a time for Republicans to win an election it is right now, take a look at the congressional and senate elections.  People understand if you make $1000 a month and spend $1200 that it is not going to work.  Your credit cards will be maxed, house taken, and no one is going to lend you another penny.  I think America is in favor of some big austerity measures.

No ones going to vote for Palin

2011-06-03 4:30 PM

User image

Master
Oceanside, California

I think that conservatism needs to be split into at least two.

On one hand, fiscal conservatism that focuses on fiscal responsibility, efficient government, etc.

Socially, I think the focus needs to be more mainstream or libertarian.

It is one thing to have a traditionally conservative mindset on values and personal life, but beating that drum to activate your base can do more to isolate the swing voters.

Who cares what the neighbors are doing if they won't be your neighbors after your house gets foreclosed?

The middle of the bell curve will sway to whichever candidate convinces them that their tax money will not be wasted (its all relative, I know), that they will be able to have and keep a decent wage, and they will be able to pay their bills.

2011-06-03 4:34 PM

User image

Master
Oceanside, California

To answer the OP's question....

As much as I would love 4 years of Tina Fey's satire, I wouldn't trust Palin to balance my kids' bank accounts.

Therefore, this violates my above-stated logic.

2011-06-03 4:37 PM

Master
, California

On one hand, fiscal conservatism that focuses on fiscal responsibility, efficient government, etc.

The problem is that neither major party is fiscally conservative.  They just want to exceed their budget on different things.  I can pretty much guarantee that all the top Republican candidates will want to continue military spending, continue feeding financial institutions / insurance cos, and simultaneously cut taxes.

Ron Paul doesn't fit that mold, but I also doubt he'll win the Republican primary, for that very reason.

2011-06-03 5:06 PM
in reply to: #3531131

User image

Master
Dothan, Al
mdg2003 - 2011-06-03 12:12 PM
Brock Samson - 2011-06-03 11:37 AM
mdg2003 - 2011-06-03 12:20 PM

Brock Samson - 2011-06-03 11:00 AM Would you actually vote for Sarah Palin?

I'm a conservative republican and I think she's a nut, and I can't think of a situation where I would vote for her.

How about if she was running against Barrack Obama?

I can't vote for Palin.  I think she is more flash than substance and in no way is she equiped to run this country.  I probably wouldn't vote, for the first time in my adult life.

That's interesting. I would have to go with the unknown of whether she is capable of doing the job or not. I would have to roll the dice rather than go with the change that has been brought about in the last couple years. I know I don't want another four years of that.

I would really like to see her speak in a public forum like a small town hall. See if she comes off as loopy in person. Without all the "rah rah mavericky" BS that we saw in the last campaign. And most inportantly, without selective editing like we all saw in Couric interview. I know a good video editor could make me look like a serious candidate for POTUS, same editor could make me look like a clown, just like the guy in the Couric interview did to Palin.

Every great once in while, someone on this board gets it.

2011-06-03 6:17 PM
in reply to: #3531678

User image

Elite
ditchdoc - 2011-06-03 6:06 PM

I'm a conservative republican and I think she's a nut, and I can't think of a situation where I would vote for her.

I can't vote for Palin.  I think she is more flash than substance and in no way is she equiped to run this country.  I probably wouldn't vote, for the first time in my adult life.

That's interesting. I would have to go with the unknown of whether she is capable of doing the job or not. I would have to roll the dice rather than go with the change that has been brought about in the last couple years. I know I don't want another four years of that.

I would really like to see her speak in a public forum like a small town hall. See if she comes off as loopy in person. Without all the "rah rah mavericky" BS that we saw in the last campaign. And most inportantly, without selective editing like we all saw in Couric interview. I know a good video editor could make me look like a serious candidate for POTUS, same editor could make me look like a clown, just like the guy in the Couric interview did to Palin.

I strongly disagree.  Palin wasn't "edited" to look like a clown.  Did anybody here watch the '08 debates? If you didn't, just google it and check it out.  That "ra-ra-mavericky b.s." wasn't just a soundbyte...those were her words.  She just seemed to lack the ability to talk about issues in an in-depth manner.

The GOP's best hope lies in an economic downturn.  If the economy isn't in the crapper in '12, you could bring back Ronald Reagan from the hereafter and he wouldn't win the election for you.  (yes, mentioned at theonion.com news in '09 I believe):   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyKYiJkvg98

By the way, I really liked eabeam's post.  The smartest thing the Republicans could do would be to nominate a fiscal conservative and social  m o d e r a t e.  In the past, anti-gay sentiment and pro-life rhetoric helped carry elections...swing voters don't want to hear that nonsense anymore.  

The smartest strategy for the GOP is to focus strictly on the economy.  An isolationist message may also do well with independent voters who think (mistakenly) massive amounts of our federal budget are wasted in foreign aid.  

While I agree that Paul Ryan on paper is the best candidate for the GOP...how he can handle himself going toe to toe with a seasoned debater like President Obama will make for an interesting show.

2011-06-03 6:24 PM
in reply to: #3531004

User image

Elite
lisac957 - 2011-06-03 12:22 PM
bel83 - 2011-06-03 11:11 AM

I am not affiliated with any party so I don't know if you want my answer, but I would not vote for her simply because every interview, debate, or article I have ever seen her words in has left me with more questions than answers on what she is actually trying to talk about, what her point is, and where she stands on certain issues.

For any candidate I vote for, they need to have a clearly defined stance on most if not all the issues out there. The one whose stance most aligns with my beliefs is the one who gets my vote.

x2 on ALL of this.
Every time I hear her talk it seems she gets way too caught up in the emotional side of issues, like a teenager would respond to things - overreacting, overcompensating in answers, focusing on her personal/emotional reaction instead of the actual issues, etc. Some may call that "passion" but I'd prefer a candidate who can keep their cool and differentiate between when to get "passionate" and when to quickly answer and move on with dignity.

Lisa nailed it on the head there.  If the GOP can find a candidate who can articulate him or herself in the style of conservatives like George Will or Margaret Thatcher, it could only help the GOP's cause.  The GOP's strategic brain, Mr. Karl Rove said it best.  Palin lacks the "gravitas" required of a candidate on a presidential ticket. 

2011-06-03 8:16 PM

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL

I do not think Palin is a dumb as people make her out to be (the media really dog piles on her mistakes).  And she does have "some" good points. 

Yesterday Sarah Plain explained that Paul Revere warned the BRITISH by ringing BELLS and firing SHOTS. Zero out of three ain't bad. She failed to address the obvious questions: 1) is she eating paste when we're not looking, 2) is the beastie boys version really more accurate, and the obvious question, 3) is she really smarter than a fifth of gin?

BTW, I'm a Dem but am generally tired of the way elections get won, and am looking for some - any - compelling alternative to the satus quo. Sarah is compelling, but in a TMZ kinda way. Not smart. No vote.

2011-06-03 9:19 PM
in reply to: #3531747

User image

Pro
Tejas
ChineseDemocracy - 2011-06-03 6:17 PM
ditchdoc - 2011-06-03 6:06 PM

I strongly disagree.  Palin wasn't "edited" to look like a clown.  Did anybody here watch the '08 debates? If you didn't, just google it and check it out.  That "ra-ra-mavericky b.s." wasn't just a soundbyte...those were her words.  She just seemed to lack the ability to talk about issues in an in-depth manner.

The GOP's best hope lies in an economic downturn.  If the economy isn't in the crapper in '12, you could bring back Ronald Reagan from the hereafter and he wouldn't win the election for you.  (yes, mentioned at theonion.com news in '09 I believe):   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyKYiJkvg98

By the way, I really liked eabeam's post.  The smartest thing the Republicans could do would be to nominate a fiscal conservative and social  m o d e r a t e.  In the past, anti-gay sentiment and pro-life rhetoric helped carry elections...swing voters don't want to hear that nonsense anymore.  

The smartest strategy for the GOP is to focus strictly on the economy.  An isolationist message may also do well with independent voters who think (mistakenly) massive amounts of our federal budget are wasted in foreign aid.  

While I agree that Paul Ryan on paper is the best candidate for the GOP...how he can handle himself going toe to toe with a seasoned debater like President Obama will make for an interesting show.

Unfortunately the smartest strategy and the strategy they choose will likely be different! I bet they take the fat juicy slowpitch that is coming their way and f*** it up somehow.

2011-06-03 9:59 PM

Master

Herman Cain, anyone?  Why do we keep hearing about the same old people when there actually are others making a run?

2011-06-04 5:07 AM
in reply to: #3531370

User image

New Haven, CT

scoobysdad - 2011-06-03 2:47 PM As a conservative, I believe Palin serves a purpose even if she is completely unelectable as a candidate. She can draw attention to issues that would not otherwise be covered and can say things that legitimate candidates may think but would never say. The Left will also spend considerable time, money and effort to discredit her and all they'll end up doing is making the legitimate GOP candidates look more moderate and electable by comparison. Finally, in the end, she'll also be able to throw considerable support behind whichever GOP candidate turns out to be the frontrunner. I've said this before and every day it's getting closer to happening. Eventually, Paul Ryan will get in this race and he will be not only the GOP candidate, but the next president of the United States. Mark it down.

can someone find one of those funny picture with a "don't take the bait" or "bite your tongue" caption and insert it here.

2011-06-04 5:38 AM
in reply to: #3531982

User image

Master
Salisbury, North Carolina
hamiltks10 - 2011-06-03 10:59 PM

Herman Cain, anyone?  Why do we keep hearing about the same old people when there actually are others making a run?

Possibility.... if he was even half-way authentic at the SC debate he's definitely worth a look.

2011-06-04 7:44 AM
in reply to: #3531012

User image

Master

jsnowash - 2011-06-03 12:26 PM http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oS4C7bvHv2w... 'nuff said...

Actually she got it exactly right. Reevere was captured by the British and did not get to warn the colonists. There were two other men who did warn them.

Reevere on the other hand warned the british that the colonists were coming. He intentially exagerated their numbers hoping to change their course.

Here are two independent sources:

http://www.heritage-history.com/www/heritage-books.php?Dir=books&MenuItem=display&author=morris&book=american1&story=revere

http://www.masshist.org/database/img-viewer.php?item_id=99&img_step=1&tpc&pid&mode=transcript#page1 (refer to page 4)

This is jsut like the "Party like it is 1773" comment People (mainstream media) think they know history and don't. She was speaking to Tea Party members and her comment was about he Boston Tea Party which was 3 years before the Revolution, in ..... wait for it........ 1773.

2011-06-04 8:02 AM
in reply to: #3532132

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
verga - 2011-06-04 8:44 AM

jsnowash - 2011-06-03 12:26 PM http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oS4C7bvHv2w... 'nuff said...

Actually she got it exactly right. Reevere was captured by the British and did not get to warn the colonists. There were two other men who did warn them.

Reevere on the other hand warned the british that the colonists were coming. He intentially exagerated their numbers hoping to change their course.

Here are two independent sources:

http://www.heritage-history.com/www/heritage-books.php?Dir=books&MenuItem=display&author=morris&book=american1&story=revere

http://www.masshist.org/database/img-viewer.php?item_id=99&img_step=1&tpc&pid&mode=transcript#page1 (refer to page 4)

This is jsut like the "Party like it is 1773" comment People (mainstream media) think they know history and don't. She was speaking to Tea Party members and her comment was about he Boston Tea Party which was 3 years before the Revolution, in ..... wait for it........ 1773.

Well, yes... Revere was captured by the British, but not until after he had begun to spread the word that they were on their way, and numerous other riders were continuing to spread the word. But he was certainly not riding through town "ringing bells" and firing "warning shots" to warn the Brithish....

Here are Palin's exact words:

"He who warned the British that they weren’t gonna be taking away our arms by ringing those bells and by making sure that as he’s riding his horse through town to send those warning shots and bells that we were gonna be secure and we were gonna be free … and we were gonna be armed."

Not exactly the account of history you're implying above.....
2011-06-04 8:31 AM
in reply to: #3532140

User image

Veteran
Chicago Area
jsnowash - 2011-06-04 8:02 AM
verga - 2011-06-04 8:44 AM

Well, yes... Revere was captured by the British, but not until after he had begun to spread the word that they were on their way, and numerous other riders were continuing to spread the word. But he was certainly not riding through town "ringing bells" and firing "warning shots" to warn the Brithish.... Here are Palin's exact words: "He who warned the British that they weren’t gonna be taking away our arms by ringing those bells and by making sure that as he’s riding his horse through town to send those warning shots and bells that we were gonna be secure and we were gonna be free … and we were gonna be armed." Not exactly the account of history you're implying above.....

Well at least they were leaving us our legs.

Honestly I did hear the quote, my SPORTS Radio station was playing it over and over again last night.  You would swear a fifth grade was giving you a recap on what they just learned.  No I would not vote for her in a million years, but I wouldn't mind seeing her try in the primaries, I have to imagine the Daily Show would be hilarious with clips.

Edited by Bmel 2011-06-04 8:34 AM
2011-06-04 9:09 AM

User image

Champion
I'm a recovering conservative Republican and just wish she would go away before she Naders up the next election.
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Conservative Republicans Rss Feed  

of 4