Jim Flint
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 15m 20s
Overall Rank = 66/500
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 10/27
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4:45 after having slept like crap all night long. Typical worrying about waking up on time and a dream that I was doing an adventure race instead where I did the wrong bike course and had to build a bridge to ride across from planks that were about 10 feet under water. Huh?! Showered, ate an ego, Clif Bar, gatorade, water, immodium (it's a must), talked with Jon (Det) who stayed at my place, and we were out the door.
Event warmup:

Just set up my transition area, got marked, talked with BTers and checked the entry/exits for both transitions so I could find my bike. Ate half a Clif Bar, hit el bano, and walked down to the beach so I could shiver for the next 30-40 minutes. Good times.
Swim
  • 10m 1s
  • 500 yards
  • 02m / 100 yards
Comments:

My plan was to go out easy and really focus on getting into a good breathing pattern in my first 200 yards, which I thought would get me to the first buoy, and then pick up the pace. My breathing was really good and I couldn't have been happier. In hindsight, I could've picked it up a little earlier. My sighting was a little off, but I only wandered slightly off course on my way to the first marker. I sucked rounding that one, though. I started rounding and stopped too soon. Probably swam about 20 yards off course and then got re-aligned. For some reason I had the idea that I'd do my first 200 easy, pick it up on my 100 across, and hammer it for the last 200 home. I thought from the last buoy to home was going to be 200. Nah-ah. I did pick it up and sprinted home though, and ended up with a PR on the swim!
What would you do differently?:

Better rounding and pick up the pace sooner.
Transition 1
  • 02m 29s
Comments:

Used a wetsuit stripper, but had problems getting my wetsuit off over my heels. It occurred to me later in the day that I didn't unzip the backs of my legs to help the process. I'm dumb! My transitions are slow and it annoys me. Something to work on.

Unzip the heels on my wetsuit.
Bike
  • 38m 7s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 20.62 mile/hr
Comments:

Wasn't sure how I wanted to "attack" the hills so I thought I'd get out of the saddle on the shorter ones and spin up the longer ones. That lasted all of about 5 seconds on the first hill when I got out of my saddle. My legs called an audible and I spun up all of them. Got passed by tri bikes primarily. Since it was an open course there were some cars intermingled with the riders. No problems on the way out, but on the way back I got passed by a big pick'em-up truck on a downhill and it just so turned out that he couldn't pass anyone else. And then I got trapped behind him and had to hit the brakes. On a downhill!! If anyone heard swearing on the bike course, it was me. Sorry. Kind of. I forget the whole sequence of events, but near the bottom of a downhill, Matt (blackbud) came rippin by me with a nice, playful comment. Something about "I have gravity on my side to help me out." Enter an uphill. After dropping my chain and getting it back on (without getting off the bike), I spun past him with a playful poke of my own. I believe I said something like "I only have 7% body fat that I have to get up the hill." It was all fun and games and helped take my mind off the burn in my legs. The last two miles sucked (slow incline) but I got home in good time.

More hill training. More hill training. More hill training.
Transition 2
  • 01m 18s
Comments:

Couldn't get my stupid shoes tied right away, which annoyed me. Then just grabbed my race belt and hat and put that on on the run.

Get yankz.
Run
  • 23m 27s
  • 3.2 miles
  • 07m 20s  min/mile
Comments:

I had two thoughts on the run. First was, wow this really hurts. Second was, wow do I ever have to pee. Bad! I only got passed by one guy on the run. I was shocked when I saw the 1 mile marker since I thought/hoped it was the turn around. The actual turn around felt like it was forever away. On my way back in I felt like I needed to boot and started coughing a little bit, which turned into about a 10 second pit stop off the trail, hands on my knees with my head hung down. I coughed and such and that was about it. No ralphing. I figured I had two options. Run or puke and if I wasn't puking I better get running. I was gonna run again even if I did bring the noise, though, so I just wanted to get it over. I saw Stacie, Ovetta, Adam, Matt, Jen, and Jon on the run, which I liked. Tried to say something encouraging, but I think I probably sounded more like Captain Caveman. I said "Good job, looking good" and they heard "unga bunga." Coming down the stretch was Adam's wife cheering (thanks Yvonne - sp?) and my friend JJ who was taking pics, which was cool, and Ben (TriForrestTri) and Rachelle (his wife). Then the final sprint, lots of cheering (also very cool) and cowbells, heard my name on the PA and I was finished. I could FINALLY go to the bathroom!

I need more bricks and more of an aerobic base I think. Up my long runs.
Post race
Warm down:

Had some water and hung out with my friend and the BTers. Had a couple beers and a little picnic, then waited for the awards ceremony.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Barring slight adjustments, I think I went as hard as I could on this course.

Event comments:

I had a great time at this race. Aside from it being well organized, it was cool to hang out with all the BTers before and after the race, as well as being able to see familiar faces on the course. Definitely helped ease some of the pain. I think it was a good BT day out there too with Mark getting an AG win, Ovetta dropping a ridiculous amount of time off of last year, Adam kickin butt on the swim, and other PRs abound. I'd do it again.

Last updated: 2005-08-29 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:10:01 | 500 yards | 02m / 100yards
Age Group: 0/27
Overall: 0/500
Performance: Good
Suit: ProMotion PowerGlide Full Suit
Course: Pseudo-triangle. Kind of like me drawing a triangle with my left hand.
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 67F / 19C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Good Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:29
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:38:07 | 13.1 miles | 20.62 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: None
Course: Open course. For the most part, out and back and hilly.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 100
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:18
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:23:27 | 03.2 miles | 07m 20s  min/mile
Performance: Average
Course: Some slight inclines, but nothing too big. Out and back.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2005-08-29 10:47 AM

User image

Expert
Denver
Subject: Rattlesnake Triathlon

2005-08-29 11:06 AM
in reply to: #236404

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lafayette, CO
Subject: RE: Rattlesnake Triathlon
Way to go!!! And a PR to boot? Helluva a race!! Sounds like you feel pretty good about it. You were FLYING on the run. Congrats!
2005-08-29 11:36 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Centennial, CO
Great job!!! See you in Fort Collins - I'll be the newbie there.

Carrie
2005-08-29 11:44 AM

User image

Veteran
Denver, CO
Great race man!!! And correct spelling on my wife's name is Yvonne.  I must have said it funny, because a few people thought it was Yvanna, like Trump's ex-wife or something.  Anyway, great racing with you, and thanks for pushing me on the run (even though you really didn't know you were doing it. 
2005-08-29 11:57 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Denver, CO

Great job - TOP 10!!! That's awesome! Thanks for cheering me on in the run. Don't worry, you made perfect sense - I was just in too much pain to reply like a normal person. I think all I managed was "hey" or something brilliant like that. And what was with that scary metal bird statue at the turn around on the run. Get too close to that thing and you'll get gutted by a metal feather!

2005-08-29 1:33 PM

User image

Master
Chicago

Ryan,

Loved seeing you on the run. Thanks for encouraging me. You rocked. It was a great day all around and it was good to see you. Way to go on the top 10 you gotta love that!

2005-08-29 2:02 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Englewood, CO
So I am talking to Mike Ricci at the end.  THen you shook hands with him and you left.  Following me?  He watches you walk off and says "That guy is going to be fast"  End quote.  Dude you were awesome.  Sweet on the PR.  It was fun drinkinn beers with you again.  You got em next race right?  Nice race!
2005-08-29 9:42 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Peachtree City, GA
Hey man, again thanks for puttin me up. You had an awesome race. On top of that this course was much more difficult than FC. You will tear it up on the 11th. Good job.....
2005-08-30 1:18 PM

User image

Expert

Dude, you roasted that entire course!!!!  I knew you were getting faster, but those splits are absolutely ridiculous

My goal for Fort Collins was to crack the top 10; now I just want to keep you from beating me

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Rattlesnake Triathlon Rss Feed