USAT
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 14m 42s
Overall Rank = 52/211
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 5/49
Pre-race routine:

Power bagel w/ peanut butter and a banana for breakfast, and vitamins. Large coffee with breakfast and a little water. Drank some water and gatorade at the course after setting up my transition.
Event warmup:

Hung out with the BT'ers: Ryan (himself), Matt (Blackbud) and his wife Jen, Jon (Det), and Ovetta. Walked around and checked out the course. Stretched a little, but not enough. Picked up my chip.
Swim
  • 07m 25s
  • 600 meters
  • 01m 14s / 100 meters
Comments:

Great swim . . . but it still could have been better. I loved the running start and that went really well. However, my goggles fogged up quickly, and I had to stop and clear them about 200 meters into the swim, so that sucked. I knew I should have gotten in the water to warm up and get the goggles worked out, but it was cold outside and I was being a big wuss.
What would you do differently?:

GET IN THE WATER!!!! I've been swimming competitively since I was 7 years old, and this is the first race ever that I didn't get in the water before the start. Just because I was cold - I should have known better. I would have been more comfortable and my goggles wouldn't have fogged. Oh well, lesson learned.
Transition 1
  • 02m 45s
Comments:

The wet suit strippers were a disaster. I could have hopped around on one leg in circles and gotten the suit off in half the time. I don't know if I was rattled after that or what, but then it took me forever to get into my cycling shoes and get going. Once I was on, I was fine, but that was a pretty slow transition.

Skip the wetsuit strippers. They mean well, and it's a nice race feature, but I would have been faster by myself.
Bike
  • 38m 16s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 20.54 mile/hr
Comments:

Pretty good ride. I didn't feel like I was really killing it out there, but I did okay in my age group, so I'm pretty happy with the result. Uphills were tough, and my heart rate really never did calm down the whole time. Overall, I'm very happy. Now, if I just had a tri bike . . . .

Nothing in the race. Riding should incorporate more interval and hill work.

Transition 2
  • 01m 5s
Comments:

Good transition. Only very minor problem was a woman in front of me who lost her transition area, and was basically standing in my row looking around. But who cares, that was maybe 2 seconds.

Nothing.
Run
  • 25m 13s
  • 3.2 miles
  • 07m 53s  min/mile
Comments:

Very, very fast run for me. Pretty sure that's a PR, but I need to look at the July Ft. Collins time.

Nothing. I was ready to puke after the run, so I wasn't holding anything back.
Post race
Warm down:

Walking around. Light stretching. BT picnic.

Should have stretched more, but I drank plenty and ate well.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training.

Event comments:

Excellent race overall. That was the race I really wanted to do well in, and I'm very happy with my time and performance. I'll probably do that one again next year.

Thanks to all of the CO BT'ers for training support, racing support, pre-race meal, encouragement, group training, and just friendship. This website has made racing so much more fun.

Last updated: 2005-07-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:25 | 600 meters | 01m 14s / 100meters
Age Group: 1/49
Overall: 6/211
Performance: Good
Suit: ProMotion Super Neon Green Obnoxiousness
Course: Open water "square" for lack of a better term. They said the swim was 500 meters, but I think that's BS. I swam hard, and in a wetsuit, and I know from my training that the course was definitely longer than 500 meters. I'm guessing 600 meters in this log, but it could have been longer.
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 65F / 18C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:45
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:38:16 | 13.1 miles | 20.54 mile/hr
Age Group: 6/49
Overall: 0/211
Wind: Little
Course: Short rolling hills. That would be a great course to go do some interval training on.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 91
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:05
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:25:13 | 03.2 miles | 07m 53s  min/mile
Age Group: 16/49
Overall: 0/211
Course: Pretty flat. Nice course to go fast.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %0
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2005-08-29 11:12 AM

User image

Veteran
Denver, CO
Subject: Rattlesnake Triathlon

2005-08-29 11:17 AM
in reply to: #236427

User image

Extreme Veteran
Denver, CO
Subject: RE: Rattlesnake Triathlon
Congrats - Top 5! That's awesome! I didn't realize that you had to stop in the middle of the swim and defog your goggles and you STILL posted that screaming swim time. Great job! It was nice to meet you!
2005-08-29 11:20 AM

User image

Expert
Denver
Dude, you rocked that swim! Everything else was firing on all cylinders too, including your PR on the run. Next time I'll ask to start a little earlier so you can hear my footsteps behind you coming down the home stretch!
2005-08-29 11:31 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Centennial, CO
Great race! I so want to do this one next year. If only I could even dream of a swim time like that.

Carrie
2005-08-29 1:27 PM

User image

Master
Chicago

I would kill for your worst swim times. Funny about the wetsuit strippers. They're supposed to help.

Nice meeting you. You rock. Ovetta.

2005-08-29 2:06 PM
in reply to: #236610

User image

Official BT Coach
Englewood, CO
Great swim, great bike, great run.  5th in your age group!  That's awesome, that's 2 away from a podium finish, WOW!  Glad I got to see you after the race and meet you wife too!  Nice job out there!  You swim too fast!

2005-08-29 9:49 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Peachtree City, GA
Hey man, very nice on the top five placing. It was good to meet you. This was my last race of the season so, see ya next year!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Rattlesnake Triathlon Rss Feed