Trisport Canada
24C / 75F
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 03m 47s
Overall Rank = 346/478
Age Group = 55-59
Age Group Rank = 14/18
Pre-race routine:

Got out of bed at 5:45 after a good nights sleep except for one little disturbing dream. Dreamed I was at the race and couldn't find my number so I couldn't race. Anyway had my Oatmeal and a banana for breakfast and started sipping water and Elode mixture. Had a bio break at home to avoid the porta potties at he race site. Took a couple of Mortin as my back was acting up. Loaded up my equipment along with a BBQ, two coolers, ice and drinks for a club bbq to happen after the race. Headed out for the lake. Stopped drinking coffee last week so I didn't stop on the way to get one. This is the first race I have not had coffee before hand. Looking forward to a great race. under 3 here I come.
Event warmup:

Parked int he field across from transition. It looked like a farmer should come out to bail the field. The grass was as high as my knees. Took bike and equipment into the transition and found a good spot. Had to move from my first spot as there was a branch hanging down right at eye level and I knew that given the race excitement I would probably run smack dab into it if I stayed close to it. Move to the other side of the rack. got race pack and body marking. Met with some of the club members racing. Did a little dance with one of the girls but music was too slow. Lots of hugging the girls and encouragement for the race. I like this part of the race :) Went for a short run to loosen up everything. Back was not bad but a little tight still. Grabbed wet suit and headed to the lake where I warmed up. A little self warming too if you know what I mean. swam around to disperse the warm water. Bakc to the beach for the swim
Swim
  • 33m 4s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 12s / 100 meters
Comments:

felt like a very good swim. I was comfortable and got into a good rhythm early and just drafted everyone I could. Couldn't tell if I had a pace bunny ahead of me or not cause everyone looks like black sausages especially when following their bubbles. I started to the far left as the breeze was coming from the left and I knew everyone would drift that way. Stayed on the outside the first loop. On the second loop I moved to the inside and cut all the corners very well. Felt good and solid coming out of the water and ran all the way up the hill into transition.
What would you do differently?:

I think I can swim faster with more training. I didn't do enough long distance training this year so really paced myself slower than I maybe cuold have done.
Transition 1
  • 01m 29s
Comments:

Excellent transition. Went very smoothly. I had put my shoes on my bike before the race. First time in a race. and went without any socks so I flew through transition.

aboslutely nothing. I was happy with this transiton.
Bike
  • 1h 27m 3s
  • 40 kms
  • 27.57 km/hr
Comments:

hit the mount line and jumped on bike. Got into the shoes and was comfortable with in the first few 100 m. legs were feeling pretty good. Caught up to one of the girls from the club and played tag with her for a few kilometers. Then she outdistanced me. I was determined not to leave everything on the bike and have nothing for the run so I just kept a good solid pace. Coming back into the wind I geared down and increased my cadence to save my legs. I was unable to stay down in the aero position as much as I wanted as my back was acting up again. Not badly just enough to cause discomfort. My legs were losing a bit of power coming back in and I had to struggle a bit on a couple of steep hills. My average speed was OK but I want it a little faster in the next race. Dismoutnt was very good. Got my feet out of and on top of my shoes early. Dismounted and ran across the line and into transition.

Go faster so I don't had so many people pass me on the bike.
Transition 2
  • 01m 24s
Comments:

excellent transition. All went smoothly

nada
Run
  • 1h 00m 50s
  • 10 kms
  • 06m 05s  min/km
Comments:

coming out of transition my left calf was tight but I worked that out within the first K. Nothing terribly exciting happening in this section. I ran some then I ran some more and finally I ran some more. In betwen I had a couple of very short walks as the outside of my right knee and my left hip were starting to hurt. A short 30 pace walk seemed to ease it up and I could run again. I did see several nice pace bunnies but they all seemed to just run away from me. I wasn't able to switch out of the pace I was in to keep up with them. Within the last 300 m of the finish I saw one of the guys I coach ahead of me. I put everything I had into the last 300 m but he beat me by 22 seconds. Had a good laugh after the race. He said If I had caught him he had nothing left to respond with.

build more speed into my workouts to be able to run faster. I consider this a good run as it is one of my better 10K runs especially after the swim and bike. My best 10K has been 58 minutes without any prior activity.
Overall I was happy with my race. and I knocked 6 minutes off my time from last year.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, drank water, talked with others from the club and genrally just cooled off in the shade.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I still need to improve my biking and running. i need to be able to carry more speed for a longer period of time. Not sure if a more updated bike would give me the lift I am looking for in the biking. Old Frankenstein is great going downhill but not that great on the straightaways and climbs. I have a limited number of gears ( 12)

Event comments:

Trisport/Subaru put on great races which are always well organize events. I would heartily recommend them to everyone.

Last updated: 2011-06-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:33:04 | 1500 meters | 02m 12s / 100meters
Age Group: 7/18
Overall: 0/478
Performance: Good
Suit: xterra
Course: rectangular shape. about 350 long by 40 m across and then 350 back into beach. Short run on the beach to starting position for a 2nd loop. once out of the water about 100 m run to transition included swim time.
Start type: Run Plus: Shot
Water temp: 20C / 68F Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Good
Waves: Good Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:29
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:27:03 | 40 kms | 27.57 km/hr
Age Group: 14/18
Performance: Average
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: Out and back along country roads. The first 5K were on paved roads that were not very good. Hit the main road 20K stretch very good, recently paved road with good shoulders. Kind of a cross tailwind on the way out. Overall slight incline on the out leg. Rolling hills all the way through.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:24
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:00:50 | 10 kms | 06m 05s  min/km
Age Group: 14/18
Performance: Good
Course: Out and back within the park. One section had us running through a field and there were some slick wet spots to be careful of. Rolling terrain but not too bad. only a couple of short steep climbs.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2011-06-20 8:57 AM

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario
Subject: Guelph Lake I - Olympic Triathlon

2011-06-20 9:44 AM
in reply to: #3557523

User image

Elite
Raleigh
Subject: RE: Guelph Lake I - Olympic Triathlon
Good race Red! Sound like you kept to your plan really well. But, a 129 minute T1 is fast? Or are those Canadian minutes! Couldn't resist!
2011-06-20 9:52 AM

User image

Master
Horseheads, NY

Nice race Rob!  6 minutes is a big improvement.

And your transitions are approaching fattyesque!

Congrats

2011-06-20 9:54 AM

User image

Master
Maryland
You are one tough racer, way to knock off 6 minutes! How do you get your feet on top of the shoes to dismount? Excellent!! You are a great coach too : )
2011-06-20 12:04 PM

User image

Master
Silverton, Oregon
Congratulations, Rob! A 6 minute PR is awesome! I'm so proud of you for everything you've done in your training, racing, and coaching! Way to go!!!
2011-06-20 1:51 PM

User image

Expert
Ontario, Canada
Congrats Rob on a great race, 6' improvement is awesome.  I wonder if we'd meet in any races this yr?  Welland half is next for me, my first half.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Guelph Lake I - Olympic Triathlon Rss Feed