General Discussion Race Reports! » YWCA of Minneapolis Women's Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

YWCA of Minneapolis Women's Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Minneapolis, Minnesota
United States
YWCA of Minneapolis
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 07m 7s
Overall Rank = 842/973
Age Group = F 35-39
Age Group Rank = 169/190
Pre-race routine:

Got the the site, set up transition, got bodymarked, hit the bathroom. Normal pre-race stuff.

My twin sister and I did this race as a sister/sister team. She asked if I'd wait for her on the course, and I was happy to.
Event warmup:

Got in the water and swam around a bit. Hemmed and hawwed about whether or not to wear my wetsuit. The water was 76 degrees. I decided to keep it on since a) I already had it on, b) I knew I would have plenty of time in T1 to take it off, and c) I honestly thought the swim was a 1/2 mile. Had I realized it was only a 500, I probably would have taken it off because I was getting downright hot in that thing waiting for our wave.
Swim
  • 08m 53s
  • 500 yards
  • 01m 47s / 100 yards
Comments:

I am VERY happy with this swim. I hardly ever swim, really. So to be 61st out of almost 1000 swimmers was pretty dang nice. Top 6% overall and in my age group. Yes, I realize that a lot of the 1000 participants were newbies and that none of them were men, but still. It's a nice ego stroke to be near the top of something once in a while.

Anyway, the woman standing next to me at the start was clearly a swimmer. So at the horn, I didn't even try to get out in front of her. I drafted right behind her all the way out to the turn, stayed with her (side by side as there was a ton of swimmer traffic by then) across the back and around the turn toward shore. And then she showed that she was just toying with me and found another gear. LOL She ended up out of the water about 30 feet or so in front of me. I was trying my darndest to stay with her, burning shoulder muscles and all, but couldn't do it. Still a great swim, though.
What would you do differently?:

Possibly not wear the wetsuit.
Transition 1
  • 06m 8s
Comments:

So, I just walked to transition and got the wetsuit off, bike shoes on, took a drink and waited for my sister. She wasn't too terribly far behind me (about two minutes behind on the swim), so I didn't really have to wait that long.
Bike
  • 57m 4s
  • 15.5 miles
  • 16.30 mile/hr
Comments:

Good ride. Nothing spectacular. It's just so obvious that I need a new bike. Mine is just getting tired. (And I don't take very good care of it, but that's another story... :) I actually did not find my mind wandering on this ride! Usually in a race it does at some point, but since I was trying to stay with the sister, and there are so many turns and potholes to watch for, the brain was engaged the whole time. :)

Ride my bike a whole lot more.
Transition 2
  • 04m 9s
Comments:

Another slow one. Sister had to get her ankle brace on, so that took a few.

Do I even need to say it? (for the millionth time?) Speed laces. In this particular case, though, it did not really matter.
Run
  • 50m 55s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 16m 25s  min/mile
Comments:

So, this was primarily a walk, obviously. A few running spurts here and there, but not much. At no point on this "run" was I out of breath. I really wanted to run more than once as everyone and their sister passed us, but I didn't.

In the end, we did run down the finish chute together, crossing the line at exactly the same time. :) That was nice.

Actually run. :)
Post race
Event comments:

This is a really nice race with lots of extra goodies. And TONS of volunteers. And really good post race food. Highly recommend, especially for those women new to the sport.

I commented to my sister that this was probably the best weather day of any of the 36 triathlons I've done. It was absolutely. perfect. Sunny but not too hot, no wind, no humidity. Just beautiful.

Last updated: 2011-03-21 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:53 | 500 yards | 01m 47s / 100yards
Age Group: 11/190
Overall: 61/973
Performance: Good
Suit: ProMotion sleeveless
Course: Straight out, across, and then back in.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 06:08
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:57:04 | 15.5 miles | 16.30 mile/hr
Age Group: 117/190
Overall: 565/973
Performance: Average
Wind:
Course: This is just about the same course as the Lifetime Tri, so anyone who has done that knows the roads are not great. But it's very flat, so that's nice.
Road: Rough  Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 04:09
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:50:55 | 03.1 miles | 16m 25s  min/mile
Age Group: 188/190
Overall: 935/973
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2011-08-15 12:02 PM

User image

Master
Dayton, Minnesota
Bronze member
Subject: YWCA of Minneapolis Women's Triathlon

2011-08-15 10:25 PM
in reply to: #3644191

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
Subject: RE: YWCA of Minneapolis Women's Triathlon
Great job.  Let's see you "race" the next one!!!
2011-08-18 8:13 AM
in reply to: #3644191

User image

Minneapolis, MN
Subject: RE: YWCA of Minneapolis Women's Triathlon
great job! It was a fun race. I plan on doing it again next year!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » YWCA of Minneapolis Women's Triathlon Rss Feed