F.C.C.
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 05m 10s
Overall Rank = 22/258
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 1/19
Pre-race routine:

Wake up at 4:15. Load up the bikes. Eat a power bagel w/ peanut butter, banana, vitamins, advil, and an extra large cup of coffee. Short walk with the dogs. Load up Yvonne and the transition bags and hit the road.
Event warmup:

Set up T1. Socialize with BT crowd and my Denver racing friends. Short run. Stretch. Short run. Stretch. Short swim. Stretch.
Swim
  • 06m 1s
  • 450 yards
  • 01m 20s / 100 yards
Comments:

Good fast swim. I said after the July race that I wanted to go 6:00, and I basically hit it exactly. Now I think I can go even faster though, because I got disoriented on one of my flip turns, and went into the wrong lane. I corrected pretty quickly, and went under the two lane ropes to get into the right lane, but I felt fairly stupid after that little trick.
What would you do differently?:

I can go faster, and if I had it do to over again, I would have estimated my time lower for better seeding. Despite setting my time at 6:15, I still passed 4 people in the pool. I don't know that I can be the fastest on the swim leg in the whole race (someone posted a 5:33), but I can go under 6:00. If I had estimated my time lower then people would have had to just pass me and I wouldn't have gotten hung up behind other racers. Oh well, it was a good swim.
Transition 1
  • 00m 59s
Comments:

Good fast T1. No problems or hang-ups.

Race without a shirt. It wastes time putting one on for such a short race.
Bike
  • 34m 24s
  • 12.5 miles
  • 21.80 mile/hr
Comments:

Great ride, but maybe a little too hard. I wanted to smoke my July time, and I did, but I didn't take the time to get some fluids in and get my heart rate down. I just got on the bike and started hammering and never stopped. Also, I knocked my timing chip off swatting a bug off my leg, so the splits from here on are estimates.

Train at higher average speeds. I think I need to get used to doing longer hauls at speeds over 20 mph.
Transition 2
  • 00m 30s
Comments:

Fast transition, but I have no idea if the time is correct. That time is a guess based on July.

Nothing.
Run
  • 23m 16s
  • 2.9 miles
  • 08m 01s  min/mile
Comments:

My legs felt absolutely dead on the run. The start of the run sucked because they had that little dipsy-doodle wet grass area at the beginning, which made me think I was going to fall on my butt, and simultaneously kept my heart rate too high. I should have run harder but I felt spent, under-fueled, and slow.

Nothing, except more run training. In an event of this length, I should be able to go all out on the bike and still have something left for the run. It's just lack of base and brick training, so I'll know better next year.
Post race
Warm down:

Walk around, stretch, drink tons of gatorade and water, eat. And of course, chat with all the BT'ers, my buddies from Denver, my wife's family, and just enjoy the post-race activities. And get my AG winner's hardware (that was sort of a highlight).

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training.

Event comments:

I liked the Rattlesnake better as an event, but this is a great race series for a beginner, and I couldn't be happier about winning AG. I don't think I'll probably do this series next year, unless Yvonne really wants to, because I want to focus on longer races and open water events. Still, I am so glad I raced Ft. Collins this year.

Last updated: 2005-07-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:06:01 | 450 yards | 01m 20s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/19
Overall: 4/258
Performance: Good
Suit: PI Tri Suit
Course: Snake swim.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:59
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:34:24 | 12.5 miles | 21.80 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/19
Overall: 0/258
Wind: Little
Course: Flat
Road: Smooth  Cadence: 100
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Too hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:30
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:23:16 | 02.9 miles | 08m 01s  min/mile
Age Group: 10/19
Overall: 0/258
Performance: Below average
Course: Flat. Distance is approximate. After the July race, I felt like the course was short, and before this race I heard some guys talking about how the run was only 2.9. I wish I could confirm the distance, because if it was 2.9, then my run kind of sucked, but if it was 3.1, then I PR'd. Who knows.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-09-12 11:59 AM

User image

Veteran
Denver, CO
Subject: F.C. Club Sprint Series #3

2005-09-12 1:27 PM
in reply to: #244867

User image

Extreme Veteran
Centennial, CO
Subject: RE: F.C. Club Sprint Series #3
Awesome race - first in your age group to boot!!

because I got disoriented on one of my flip turns, and went into the wrong lane. I corrected pretty quickly, and went under the two lane ropes to get into the right lane, but I felt fairly stupid after that little trick.

I actually think I saw you do this - I was standing at the end of the lane when somebody did this exact same thing - I was just impressed at how quickly you recovered!!! I was just impressed at how fast you guys were swimming - I am in awe.

Awesome finish.

Carrie
2005-09-12 1:54 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Englewood, CO
Great race man!  1st in your age group!  That is so cool!  You had a great season!
2005-09-12 2:16 PM

User image

Expert
Denver

Come on dude. Way way WAY to modest. You barely even mentioned you got first in your frickin AG in your 3rd ever race! I was so pumped when I was looking at results, saw your name and then a 1 by it. No offense, but I did a double take and then went to go find you. Fortunately you were on your way over. So cool. You hauled ass on the run too. I was snappin pics by the transition area and had an idea of when I should go over to the run finish so I could yell at you on your way in. Too bad I got there too late.

And by the way, I believe Yvonne's last words before we all took off were "Okay, I'm hooked now." Good for her - she did awesome too.

2005-09-12 10:45 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Aurora, CO
Once again, Nice work!

Ryan's right................way too modest!
2005-09-13 11:20 AM

User image

Master
Chicago
First in your AG - way to go hauling much booty and bringin' home the hardware. That's what I'm talking about. You rock. As usual killer swim but looks like you were speedy on the run as well. You rock and that's it I'm not going to say anymore Gearslut!

2005-09-13 5:59 PM

User image

Expert

I'll 3rd the motion that you were way too modest.  You can officially begin some serious smack talking

As for not doing this race next year, I think we should make this an annual event.  Besides, you gotta defend your title

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » F.C. Club Sprint Series #3 Rss Feed