General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Weight traing specifically for tri Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2011-08-19 10:09 PM
in reply to: #3650824

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: Weight traing specifically for tri
Here's what it comes down to: It depends on your goals. If you want to be the fastest triathlete you can be, spend the time you would have done strength training doing sbr instead. If your primary goal is general fitness, then strength training should be part of your regimen, but not light weight/ high reps of the same muscles you use for sbr, because it's redundant. It should either be heavy & low reps for the same muscles, or IMO, a better choice is different muscles, and exercises in the frontal (side to side) and transverse (twisting) planes rather than the sagittal (front to back) plane, because you're already doing a lot of those motions with tri training.

2011-08-19 11:30 PM

User image

Master
Saratoga Springs, Utah

Just to keep it going Innocent. Seems Mark Allen disagrees that strength trianining is not beneficial. To be clear I do not do strength training other than what I have to do in the military. This tread got me curious so I did some searching to see others take on it.

http://www.active.com/triathlon/Articles/Mark_Allen_s_12_Best_Strength_Exercises.htm

Then there is this study: http://www.rappstar.com/pdf/StrengthTrainingEnduranceAthletes.pdf

2011-08-19 11:39 PM

Hi I am a more casual triathlete and i spend alpt of training time lifting. This year i am 20 lbs heavier at the same bf % and i have much better times this year compared to last year. So my recommendation is to do full body workout 3x per week but only do bench squat bb row and dead lift for sets of 5-8 start at 75% end at 90 %. Taper or stop completely before races. If you have to choose between lifting or sbr choose sbr every time. This training requires lots of sleep and lots of clean calories. I hope this is useful, i have enjoyed the results (muscularity endurance strength)............................. ...".................."..,.Enjoy your journey "....................".........."...........".....................Livingthedream

Edited by Livingthedream 2011-08-19 11:44 PM
2011-08-20 6:31 AM
in reply to: #3650983

User image

New Haven, CT
Pull ups, core work, push ups, dips, box jumps, lunges. Some circuit training. None of this will make you faster, but lifting a little is good for you.
2011-08-20 8:35 AM
in reply to: #3651661

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE
gerald12 - 2011-08-19 11:30 PM

Just to keep it going Innocent. Seems Mark Allen disagrees that strength trianining is not beneficial. To be clear I do not do strength training other than what I have to do in the military. This tread got me curious so I did some searching to see others take on it.

http://www.active.com/triathlon/Articles/Mark_Allen_s_12_Best_Strength_Exercises.htm

Then there is this study: http://www.rappstar.com/pdf/StrengthTrainingEnduranceAthletes.pdf

Thanks for taking the time to look those up.  I am curious to the "expert's" comments on the study.

All of my thoughts on this topic have been anecdotal so I could naver say for certain.  I just know that I used to lift weights a lot and have very strong legs.  When I jumped on my bike for the first time I was near FOP in speed.  It's not from years of biking, it was because I had very strong legs from weight lifting.  Biking a lot helped me condition my legs to have more endurance, but I had the base strength there to start with.  

Now the question that I don't know the answer to is if I started out with spindly weak legs would I get faster gains by just biking every day or a combination of lifting and biking with lots of protein to grow the muscles?

I do enjoy this topic and recognize that it's challenging to prove it either way.

2011-08-20 9:45 AM
in reply to: #3651661

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
gerald12 - 2011-08-20 1:30 AM

Seems Mark Allen disagrees that strength trianining is not beneficial.

Mark Allen has a few strange ideas about endurance training.

Thanks for this (I hadn't seen a link for a free pdf before) but there are two keys to this study that are important:

1) Athletes are already highly trained; and
2) The resistance being used is high, contrary to what is usually recommended to build "muscular endurance"

Shane

2011-08-20 9:47 AM
in reply to: #3651596

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
Hot Runner - 2011-08-19 11:21 PM

I posted a similar enquiry on this forum about a month ago and was very disappointed at the  snarky responses--it is not welcoming.  Suggest to the OP that you will get better info elsewhere. Books such as Triatlete's Training Bible have some suggestions. I understand that the research is mixed on whether strength training is "worth it" and it's probably not the best use of limited tri training time, but people have different motivations and physical makeups.  If you are primarily concerned with injury rehab or prevention due to a history of injuries, suggest you talk with a physical therapist who works with athletes. I did, and it was much more helpful than anything on this forum.

Since I was bored, I went back and looked at your thread; looks like lots of good info and a couple of humourous/sarcasitc responses.

As I've said several times, there are lots of good reasons to do strength training; for the vast majority of athletes, improved endurance performance is not one of them.

Shane
2011-08-20 11:30 AM
in reply to: #3651795

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member

tuwood - 2011-08-20 8:35 AM When I jumped on my bike for the first time I was near FOP in speed. 

Please define "near FOP in speed. " In my experience that's 24-25mph+ an a fairly flat course. If you're doing that out of the gate a little training will get you to Cat 2.

Edited by the bear 2011-08-20 11:31 AM
2011-08-20 11:41 AM
in reply to: #3651834

User image

Master
Saratoga Springs, Utah

gsmacleod - 2011-08-20 8:45 AM
gerald12 - 2011-08-20 1:30 AM Seems Mark Allen disagrees that strength trianining is not beneficial.
Mark Allen has a few strange ideas about endurance training. Thanks for this (I hadn't seen a link for a free pdf before) but there are two keys to this study that are important: 1) Athletes are already highly trained; and 2) The resistance being used is high, contrary to what is usually recommended to build "muscular endurance" Shane

Yes I have read some of Allens views on training and agree some of the ideas are strange. The thing that really caught my eye was the 3rd paragraph in that link. I am not sure that is possible.

2011-08-20 2:03 PM

Elite
Denver, Colorado
I used to be feisty but not so much anymore. I'm still a big proponent of weight training: I personally enjoy it and there are certain health benefits to be derived from weight training, so I personally don't need to see benefits in endurance performance to justify weight training.

So, now we all know my bias: weight training should be a part of everyone's fitness plan, and it should especially be a part of your routine if you're older.

Having said that, I've concluded that weight training is not necessary if the only goal is to increase endurance performance.

The study that was posted was interesting, but this caught my attention:

"It is concluded that strength training can lead to enhanced long-term (430 min) and short-term (o15 min) endurance capacity both in well-trained individuals and highly trained top-level endurance athletes, especially with the use of high-volume, heavy-resistance strength training protocols."

Let's assume this is true. Great, but notice the part that I bolded. I just finished what could be called a "high-volume, heavy-resistance strength training protocol" because I wanted to compete in a weight lifting meet (it was on my bucket list). From my experience, I can say that there is no way that I could have kept up that level of weight training AND performed a high level of endurance training. There was no way I could have recovered from all that, not to mention there probably would not have been enough time in the day to do all that.
2011-08-20 2:17 PM

Elite
Denver, Colorado
As for the injury prevention issue, this has been debated as well. There are no studies to support that contention, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything. Here is how I personally analyze the issue.

Weight training, in addition to building muscle size and strength, also builds strength in the connective tissue (ligaments and tendons), although not as quickly or as noticeably as muscle tissue. On a side note, it also builds bone density which is precisely why the older population, being more susceptible to osteoporosis, needs weight training.

Stronger ligaments are more resistant to injury. This is true for acute injuries, but I would also argue that it can be true for overuse injuries. I'm no physiologist, but it just makes sense that a stronger joint can hold up better to repeated use much like a rubber band can be stretched more times before it breaks than a weak rubber band.

Therefore, weight training does have the potential to reduce injury. I can't prove it. I don't have studies to back it up. I can offer myself as an example of a guy who, at a weight of 230 lbs., once trained for and completed a half-marathon with zero injuries and zero joint pain. But I am obviously only a sample size of 1 and I may have good genetics because my 75-year-old mother has never had any joint issues and continues to have very healthy joints. So, even my own experiences are skewed and I can't draw any conclusions. But when push comes to shove, I would say that I believe that my many years of weight training has increased my resilience to injury, and since I like to train with weight anyway, it's something I will continue to do regardless.

2011-08-20 2:55 PM

User image

Expert
Northern CA

My personal experience is that strength training makes me a faster runner. I've had several incidents where I started up strength training after an absence or increased strength training from what it was and found my run faster just a few weeks out with no changes to how I was training my run.

I also find that working on my core muscles helps with everything. Since I started as a couch potato, I had work to do there that maybe someone more fit wouldn't have. Now I can ride my bike long distances without getting a sore back in particular.

I do strength training that emphasizes functional fitness more than lifting weights though I do own some weights for Olympic lifting at home. My coach runs group workouts where we do a lot of Russian Kettlebell workouts, some Crossfit-based workouts and some other stuff I can't remember the name of (Danish something or other). It's fun stuff with lots of variety (which is important to me).

I really emphasis this kind of workout in the Winter when the weather prevents a lot of outdoor s/b/r workouts. As the season progresses, I slowly cut it down to 1x a week because there just isn't time to do that and also "go long." I just do enough during the height of the season to maintain.

This has worked for me so I'm going to keep it up.

2011-08-20 2:55 PM
in reply to: #3651616

TriMyBest - 2011-08-19 10:57 PM
Goolsbymd - 2011-08-19 6:23 PMI see the benefits of it. I normally include a day a week of lifting light. Normally due barbell/dumbbell rows for my lats, shoulder presses, squats, leg extensions and curls or good mornings. I don't see anything wrong with it but it won't make you last longer maybe a little bit faster but you have to work on the 3 disciples mostly.
Why would you work the same muscles used in triathlon in the same way (light resistance ), when you could just sbr more? I'm curious about the thought process.

Im no guru but I like the different work outs sometimes it just feels good to lift free weights. I used to lift a lot before I started my Tri experience and im not going to be a pro at this so for me its fun to visit my old hobby. Now I don't see heavy lifting as beneficial due to bulking up more but muscle endurance is important.

2011-08-20 3:05 PM
in reply to: #3651990

Elite
Denver, Colorado
Goolsbymd - 2011-08-20 2:55 PM

Im no guru but I like the different work outs sometimes it just feels good to lift free weights.

I agree with this. I had the opposite experience - when I was training for my weightlifting meet I found that I missed swimming, biking, and running. Providing the body with a different stimulus (weight training for an endurance athlete and endurance training for a strength athlete) can be just as good, and perhaps even better than, taking a few days off.

Now I don't see heavy lifting as beneficial due to bulking up more but muscle endurance is important.

And here's where you lost me. Don't get me started on getting bulked up. Short answer: most people don't need to worry that they will gain too much muscle in a short period of time.
2011-08-20 3:40 PM

No they won't but if they are doing anything like a 5x5 for lifting and is lifting really heavy when they first start its easier to make gains. If you keep your sbr more often than lifting then no they won't bulk up, but for me I did when I first started but thats all I did. I guess it really depends on genetics but I only lift once a week or so now or if the rain is to bad and closes the pool and don't want to bike or run in it .
2011-08-20 3:48 PM
in reply to: #3651989

User image

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
MacMadame - 2011-08-20 1:55 PM

My personal experience is that strength training makes me a faster runner.

oh, boy....

2011-08-20 3:51 PM

lol shaving my legs makes me faster...
2011-08-20 3:52 PM
in reply to: #3652029

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2011-08-20 6:35 PM
in reply to: #3652036

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
Fred Doucette - 2011-08-20 4:52 PM
bryancd - 2011-08-20 4:48 PM
MacMadame - 2011-08-20 1:55 PM

My personal experience is that strength training makes me a faster runner.

oh, boy....
. Troll alert my friend....
Eh, not a troll...just doesn't realize that correlation doesn't necessarily equal causation.

Edited by TriMyBest 2011-08-20 6:48 PM
2011-08-20 6:46 PM
in reply to: #3651596

New user

Hot Runner - 2011-08-19 9:21 PMI posted a similar enquiry on this forum about a month ago and was very disappointed at the  snarky responses--it is not welcoming.  Suggest to the OP that you will get better info elsewhere. Books such as Triatlete's Training Bible have some suggestions. I understand that the research is mixed on whether strength training is "worth it" and it's probably not the best use of limited tri training time, but people have different motivations and physical makeups.  If you are primarily concerned with injury rehab or prevention due to a history of injuries, suggest you talk with a physical therapist who works with athletes. I did, and it was much more helpful than anything on this forum.
Exactly. I'd rather research and read than getting a rebuke for raising a noob question.
2011-08-20 6:51 PM
in reply to: #3652137

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
Gunds - 2011-08-20 7:46 PM
Hot Runner - 2011-08-19 9:21 PMI posted a similar enquiry on this forum about a month ago and was very disappointed at the  snarky responses--it is not welcoming.  Suggest to the OP that you will get better info elsewhere. Books such as Triatlete's Training Bible have some suggestions. I understand that the research is mixed on whether strength training is "worth it" and it's probably not the best use of limited tri training time, but people have different motivations and physical makeups.  If you are primarily concerned with injury rehab or prevention due to a history of injuries, suggest you talk with a physical therapist who works with athletes. I did, and it was much more helpful than anything on this forum.
Exactly. I'd rather research and read than getting a rebuke for raising a noob question.
The issue isn't in asking noob questions. It's stating something as a universal fact when it's really an individual misinterpreting their own personal experiences without any basis in science.

2011-08-20 7:21 PM
in reply to: #3651892

Pro
Omaha, NE
the bear - 2011-08-20 11:30 AM

tuwood - 2011-08-20 8:35 AM When I jumped on my bike for the first time I was near FOP in speed. 

Please define "near FOP in speed. " In my experience that's 24-25mph+ an a fairly flat course. If you're doing that out of the gate a little training will get you to Cat 2.

I did say near fop. :-) but since you asked.First sprint tri about a month after I got my bike had some decent hills. Pulled 22.2 mph avg. 13th best on the bike out of 125.Just did a fairly flat 14 mile TT 2 weeks ago at 23.8 mph avg.I personally can't wait until I cut the last 15 lbs of weight to see how fast I can get.
2011-08-20 10:39 PM
in reply to: #3650996

Weighted barbell squats. That's it.
2011-08-20 10:40 PM

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Didn't want to discount the helpful reponses I did get, but the "pass the popcorn" stuff gets old real fast. Just strikes me as fun at someone else's expense. In my case the most helpful response was from the guy was (I think) IS a PT-I took that to a colleague who used to be a PT and works with our student athletes, and he was able to suggest some exercises based on my situation and the available equipment (also happened to have some xeroxed copies of the book as he's dabbled in tri).  It seems to be working--the first week felt little effect (except soreness LOL) but this week have had one of the first pain-free run weeks I've had in 15 years.  That's personal experience based on my indivdual situation, could be the placebo effect, and I'll acknowledge that.  Could care less if it directly makes me faster at swim/bike/run--if strength training helps me able to handle a better volume/ intensity of training, then it will in the long run. If not, at least in my case I probably don't have to worry about the uneeded muscle bulk slowing me down!
2011-08-20 11:09 PM

Pro
Omaha, NE

To the OP, I found this article to give a pretty good discussion on weight lifting for cyclists.  I love how it starts:
"Want to start an argument?  Go to a group of cyclists and ask whether a cyclist should train with weights or not."

http://epicidiot.com/sports/weights_cycling.htm

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Weight traing specifically for tri Rss Feed  

of 4