Fort Collins Club
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 11m 40s
Overall Rank = 64/250
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 9/19
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4:30am and ate. Ate some more and hit the can. Ate some more and hit the can again. This is getting rediculous! Finally got my bowels in order and went to the race.
Event warmup:

Ran a little to loosen up and jumped in the water to get wet. Didn't do much of a warm up and it didn't seem to hurt me too much.
Swim
  • 07m 4s
  • 450 yards
  • 01m 34s / 100 yards
Comments:

The swim felt good and I only passed one woman who got passed by everyone. I kept trying to catch Adam's friend but he was screaming through the water.
What would you do differently?:

Practice flipping under the rope.
Transition 1
  • 02m 30s
Comments:

I had a hell of a time getting my DAMN shirt on. It got tangled up on my shoulders. This transition was pathetic!

Race with out a shirt or get a shirt that fits better. I also need to practice riding without socks and getting into my shoes while riding. I gave up a lot here. However, for my second ever tri, I know where to improve.
Bike
  • 36m 3s
  • 13 miles
  • 21.64 mile/hr
Comments:

Like Mark, I had a little rabbit on the coarse. He passed me right off the bat and then I dropped him on the hills. He would pass me again on the flat, then I would drop him again on the hill. I was able to stay pretty close to him throughout the ride and finished right behind him. It was a pretty fast coarse, but it did get a little boring after the second loop.

Nothing, it was just right leading into the run.
Transition 2
  • 01m 4s
Comments:

Once again, I need to train with out socks for this distance. I also need easier bike shoes to get in and out of. Overall, this transition was MUCH better that T1.

Practice, practice, practice.
Run
  • 24m 57s
  • 2.9 miles
  • 08m 36s  min/mile
Comments:

I had a little left at the end that I should have used up, but it was still a fast run for me.

I need to run more. I'm getting faster but I'm also impatient. I plan to do at least one run race a month if possible in the off season to get faster. I'll be back next season to take home some hardware.
Post race
Warm down:

Ate a couple of bananas and drank some water while waiting for others to finish. Hung out with the BT crew and eventually watched Adam get his hardware. I have to say, I couldn't ask for a better group of people to race with you guys ROCK.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Running and Transitions

Event comments:

It was a good race but I don't think it's going to make my race calander next season. Then again, who knows, I may pull a Stacie and register the night before.

Last updated: 2005-09-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:04 | 450 yards | 01m 34s / 100yards
Age Group: 3/19
Overall: 29/250
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Snake swim in a 25 meter pool. It was really wierd trying to do a flip turn and duck under the rope at the same time. I should have practiced this a little more.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:30
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:36:03 | 13 miles | 21.64 mile/hr
Age Group: 5/19
Overall: 47/250
Wind: Little
Course: Three loops around thr city streets. One whole section of the coarse was so narrow that you couldn't pass without riding in traffic. Not to mention the IDIOTS who don't know race rules. I had to pass on the right several times and that was after yelling "ON YOUR LEFT".
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 85
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:04
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:24:57 | 02.9 miles | 08m 36s  min/mile
Age Group: 14/19
Overall: 108/250
Course: WTF? A 13+ grade hill right out of T1? Granted it was short, but that was rediculous. On wet grass even. Next was the not so well marked route. If it wasn't for the others in the race I certainly would have gotten lost. I also didn't like the fact that you didn't know you were at the finish until the last 50 yards. That doesn't allow much for a kick at the end.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-09-12 11:31 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Aurora, CO
Subject: Fort Collins Club Triathlon #3

2005-09-13 8:45 AM
in reply to: #245556

User image

Official BT Coach
Englewood, CO
Subject: RE: Fort Collins Club Triathlon #3
Great race!  With 2 races under your belt there is no where to go but up in the standings.  Have a nice off season! Wet back and shirts don't mix!
2005-09-13 9:05 AM

User image

Expert
Denver
You were cruisin on the swim. Watching you go through your first 100 I was kind of gnashing my teeth since I got the feeling you were having a tough time getting into rhythm. I'm glad to see you ended up pulling it out so well! Is that run a PR in a race? I think your split at the RS was 9:19/mile for 3.1 and this was 8:36/mile for 2.9 miles? Man. Talk about shaving some time off!
2005-09-13 9:09 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Centennial, CO
Great race!! I'm sorry I didn't get to meet any of you (except briefly with Stacie).

Carrie
2005-09-13 10:59 AM

User image

Veteran
Denver, CO

Great race Matt!!! I agree that the run course sucked.  I was all set to go fast, and the beginning totally threw me off.  I was also tired from riding so hard, but still, what a crappy set up for the run.

And you're training for next season already you bastard!!  Holy hell, running the day after a race to get ready for next year?!  You're the early favorite for hardware next season.

Let me know what running races you want to do in the off-season, I need to keep the competitive juices flowing and get more running worked into my training.

Great training and racing with you this season, and a very fun first season of triathlons with the whole BT crew.  See you soon.

2005-09-13 6:05 PM

User image

Expert
That run time is dropping like a rock!!!  And you're bike is nothing to sneeze at either.  As always, great hanging out w/ ya bro.  Like Adam, you can count me in for a couple of 5k and 10k races this fall

2005-09-13 10:23 PM

User image

Expert
Littleton, CO
Nice job! I'm sorry I missed the race. Wish I could have been there.

Melanie
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Fort Collins Club Triathlon #3 Rss Feed