United States
Event Power
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 59m 28s
Overall Rank = 478/750
Age Group = 40-45
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 4:15(which probably was about an hour too late). Racked the bike and brought a coupla mini bagels w/PB for the ride out east.

Got to the race site and had to park really far away cause I got there so late. Scrambled to transition to get things setup but was running so late that i basically dropped a small cinch bag behind the bike and had nothing setup and ready to go. This would come back to bite me later on. Still didn't have my wetsuit on as transition was closing so I hopped to the beach with one leg in the wetsuit before they started some very nice tributes for 9/11.
Never did get body marked so all those people who would pass me would never get to know how old i am. :)
Event warmup:

Hopping to the beach in my wetsuit ;)
Swim
  • 32m 8s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 57s / 100 yards
Comments:

Noyack Bay was absolutely beautiful, flat as glass with NE wind. Started out in the middle about one row back in the fourth wave. Took a good 3-400 meters to get comfortable but very little contact, probably cause I was swimming away from the course out to Shelter Island. Overcorrected a bit and swam past the buoys into the oncoming swimmers on the way back. Oops. Finally got my sighting in order and things were pretty uneventful for the remainder of the swim. There was an awesome sunrise after the turnaround heading east that made sighting somewhat difficult so I just stayed w/the pack.
What would you do differently?:

Seeing how this was basically my first open water swim this year and my utter lack of swim training, I have no right to expect anything better than this. Honestly I expected this to be closer to 37 minutes so I'm pretty happy with it.

Transition 1
  • 04m 49s
Comments:

Yep, you read that right, nearly 5 minutes. As i mentioned earlier all my crap was jammed in a small bag behind my bike so I was rummaging through the bag to get my shoes, socks gels, bike computer(which turns out didn't work)and just basic disorganization. It was so bad that I just started laughing and BS'ing w/a guy next to me who told me "he wasn't known for his transtions", well, I think I will be now but not in a good way :)

Get to the race earlier and actually setup a reasonable transition.
Bike
  • 1h 21m 22s
  • 24.5 miles
  • 18.07 mile/hr
Comments:

Really nice rolling hills course through Sag Harbor NY. Seeing that I was so rested after my vacation in transition, I had a strong start on the uphills in the begining of the course. There was some really nice long descents where you could get good speed built up that ended in technical turns but the course was well marked letting you know when the turns were coming. Getting off the bike, I really expected my time to be better, based on the effort, but my computer was all wonky on the course so I wasn't really sure.

Nothing really except, as always, train more.
Transition 2
  • 03m 18s
Comments:

More of the same. I'm embarrassed to admit I don't a race belt so I was actually digging my race # outa the bag and trying to find safety pins to attach it. Yep, I'm serious.

Not be retarded.
Run
  • 57m 54s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 09m 19s  min/mile
Comments:

Flat fast run(well at least for others)
First 2 miles I was struggling with severe cramps most likely as a result of breathing in way too much air on the swim. This is a common issue I have after swimming and one that I need to work on as part of my swim training. About halfway through the run I took a peak at my time and realized I was on target for a sub 3hr finish if I maintained my pace but my legs were beginning to rebel. At mile 4, I started talking to some dude about the Jets game scheduled for that night. Ran with him for the next 1.5 miles or so getting me to within the sound of the finish line announcer and complete the race JUST under 3hrs

I was pretty disappointed with my run as I expected a much better time on a flat course like that. The truth is though, that I didn't put in the time this year to get off the bike strong enough to lay down a better time. So, back to the common theme of getting in more training.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

I don't think anything limited my ability to perform. I performed as well as I should have and aside from poorly managing my transitions, I don't think I gave anything back to the clock during the race.

Event comments:

I went into the season looking at this race hoping for a sub 2:50 for my first Oly but as the race approached and I realistically looked at where my fitness was, I was resigned to something along the lines of 3:10. So, really I'm very happy with this result.

Last updated: 2011-06-16 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:32:08 | 1640 yards | 01m 57s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 410/750
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Out and back
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 04:49
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:21:22 | 24.5 miles | 18.07 mile/hr
Overall: 458/750
Performance: Average
Wind: Headwind
Course:
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 03:18
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:57:54 | 06.21 miles | 09m 19s  min/mile
Overall: 0/750
Performance: Average
Course: Flat
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-09-12 1:10 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Long Island
Subject: Mighty Hamptons Triathlon

2011-09-12 1:32 PM
in reply to: #3682630

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
Subject: RE: Mighty Hamptons Triathlon
So, other than getting to the race late and not having time to set up, swimming like 500M longer than you had to, not being able to see, two mini-vacations in transition, not enough training, cramps, and the lack of a beer tent in transition, you still pulled through and beat your (revised) goal.  Well done!!!Smile
2011-09-12 8:06 PM

User image

Master
TORONTO

Ha ha!  What Mike said. 

You basically took the summer off from swimming AND you have a pool in your backyard!! 
I'd love results like that after a nice 3 month break!!  Good job!

2011-09-14 7:03 AM

User image

DUDE?  YOU WERE PINNING YOUR RACE NUMBER ON IN TRANSITION?!?  REALLY?  REEEEEEEEAAALLLLLY?????????????

You're lucky you are a very nice, likeable guy; otherwise I'd so kick you out of the Mentor Group.  You are so much more tri savvy and smarter than that!!  A race belt cost 4 bucks!! 

Once again, I was sorta impressed how you did very little training all summer, and then a month out just flipped a switch and got some solid training in.  And it's scary to see how little swimming you did and then turn it a halfway-decent swim.  If you ever got your head in the game, and put full effort into this sport, you'd be a serious threat for a top 10 AG spot. 

Wait'll I get a hold of you Saturday morning.
2011-09-14 11:01 AM
in reply to: #3685569

User image

Extreme Veteran
Long Island

Dream Chaser - 2011-09-14 8:03 AM DUDE?  YOU WERE PINNING YOUR RACE NUMBER ON IN TRANSITION?!?  REALLY?  REEEEEEEEAAALLLLLY?????????????

You're lucky you are a very nice, likeable guy; otherwise I'd so kick you out of the Mentor Group.  You are so much more tri savvy and smarter than that!!  A race belt cost 4 bucks!! 

Once again, I was sorta impressed how you did very little training all summer, and then a month out just flipped a switch and got some solid training in.  And it's scary to see how little swimming you did and then turn it a halfway-decent swim.  If you ever got your head in the game, and put full effort into this sport, you'd be a serious threat for a top 10 AG spot. 

Wait'll I get a hold of you Saturday morning.

Perhaps a suspension is in order.  Wink

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Mighty Hamptons Triathlon Rss Feed