of 3

2011-09-21 7:47 PM
in reply to: #3695013

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
Subject: RE: Race day swag
Nomone's mentioned it, but how do you guys feel about a race belt? We included one last year and are doing so again, just wondering if they're appreciated. Sprint tri, lots of first-timers, race belt has date of race and logo.

2011-09-21 7:54 PM
in reply to: #3695810

User image

Pro

the bear - 2011-09-21 5:47 PM Nomone's mentioned it, but how do you guys feel about a race belt? .

Not sure what I'd do with a 3rd race belt.  Unless it was a something a bit more functional, like a SpiBelt style thing.  Socks are always needed- and the aforementioned running hats or visors, as you always need another of those as well.

Given how cheap they are these days- how about those little LED cap clip running lights? 

2011-09-21 8:00 PM

User image

Master
Houston

the bear - 2011-09-21 7:47 PM Nomone's mentioned it, but how do you guys feel about a race belt? We included one last year and are doing so again, just wondering if they're appreciated. Sprint tri, lots of first-timers, race belt has date of race and logo.

I like the idea, but I wouldn't give up my SpiBelt to use it.

Make it a SpiBelt and putting a well designed image/word on the Spi part might be fun...This is too logn but something like... "after I ran XYZ race I ate so much my tummy was THIS big" with THIS on the SPI part.  Just a thought.

2011-09-21 8:01 PM

User image

Champion
Rochester Hills, Michigan
Gold member

It's not required, important, or a draw to a race. I'm there to race, and the schwag is just stuff.

That said, occasionally I am in the hunt for a t-shirt or mug or whatever - and yes, Rev3 schwag is the standard. It's awesome. However, I'd still rather it be my decision to buy it, rather than the RD buying it for me, and charging me through the entry fee.

The optimal scenario would be no schwag, lower entry fee, with the option to pre-order or buy schwag at the expo. This way you only get the stuff you want, when you want it, and only the designs or items you want.  

2011-09-21 8:17 PM

User image

Wilmington NC

There is race i do that has tech shirts- last year had womens sizes ( not promoted but a nice treat at packet pick up), a drawstring bag and a beach towel -  I love the towel, can never have too many of them since I live at the beach.  The expo is good and they sell the previous year's stuff at a super discount too.   The price isnt bad for a half/full marathon.  I like the race so I do it every year but the schwag doesnt hurt either.   Body Glide samples dont hurt either.  This race is partially sponsored  by a local grocery store and they always give out food samples- I pick up my pre race oatmeal breakfast every year.  

2011-09-21 8:52 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2011-09-21 10:54 PM

Master

the bear - 2011-09-21 7:47 PM Nomone's mentioned it, but how do you guys feel about a race belt? We included one last year and are doing so again, just wondering if they're appreciated. Sprint tri, lots of first-timers, race belt has date of race and logo.

Pretty cool.  Different is good.

For the 5k my wife and I (well, mostly my wife) put on we give out nice running socks. 

2011-09-21 11:07 PM

I like the idea of not including Swag into the race fee, but I have a feeling that they would eliminate the Swag and keep the entry fees the same.  So I guess, lets keep the Swag for the same price.
2011-09-22 1:33 AM

Atlanta, Georgia
Having nice swag would make me consider returning to the race next year.  In addition to being well organized (which is most important), the sprint I keep returning to has given me a towel, a visor, and this year a set of yankz, all stuff I would find useful. In addition to the shirt and finishers' medal (not so important.)
2011-09-22 7:16 AM

Master
Ann Arbor, MI
Give them all woolsports running socks- those are the best socks, especially as we head into winter!

Everyone race does the tech tee thing, so if you wanted to do something different, give out a long sleeve tech tee, or even a long sleeve cotton tee. I have only done 3 races with long sleeve shirts, and I find myself wearing those more than others.

If you do go the tech tee route, invest in a high quality one, and make sure to have girl-fits, so people will actually wear it, therefore promoting your race.
2011-09-22 7:40 AM

Regular
Any race packet that has any race items (GU, body glide samples, etc...) is always a plus.  I do like the shirts especially if they are mesh or a hat would be awesome.  Bear I think a race belt is awesome as well and wish my first tri had one!

2011-09-22 8:21 AM

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Yes, after 32 years of running, and 16 months of tri, I have a ton of T-shirts, but I could count on one hand the number of technical shirts (which is all you can wear in the tropics) I've gotten that actually fit. It's amazing how they never seem to have a shirt size to fit a skinny, 5'7" athlete. It's always either child-size or hanging to my knees.  Aside from that, I love swag if it's useful. Not sure it would influence my decision to do a race or not, but it might be a factor. The Singapore Biathlon (swim/run) has great swag, as well as AG prize $, so I definitely plan to come back! My income's not high and I can't buy many items here in Vietnam--I'd be very happy with sunglasses, Cliff bars, chocolate gu, socks, lace locks, etc. I hoard that stuff!  Vietnam Tri--uh--you get an umbrella for being first overall. Come on!
2011-09-22 8:31 AM

Toronto-ish

I've never gone to a race for the schwag, but must admit if it was really good the year before then it's something I look forward to. If it cost me an extra $5 on the entry I don't see it so don't particularly care. An extra $20 and I'd opt out if it was available.

Schwag to me is usually indicative of the quality of the organization of the race (rightly or wrongly). I always imagine everything but the t-shirt is donated as a promotional item.

Have yet to get a race shirt I've wanted to wear (bad color, size, material, too many graphics, retina damaging to look at, etc.) so don't see much of value in those. A coffee mug sounds like a great idea. I have a real appreciation for functional items. A towel, even a small one, is also a great idea. A race belt is only good for a small number of people, ie. first timers who continue racing. If this represents a large portion of your target audience then it could be good, once. If they come back the second year the impact/value would be near zero for them. Same for finishers medals.

Unless the schwag was *amazing* it wouldn't play any role in my wanting to return to a race. It tends to all be the same, and of so little value it really doesn't matter. I'm guessing most first timers have no expectations of schwag and most veterans are bored by it (except for food samples), so it's not terribly high on the importance list.

2011-09-22 9:32 AM

North Carolina
As I was running this week, being annoyed by my old worn out running shorts, I was actually thinking - I wish I could go to a race that gave me a pair of shorts instead of a shirt. The race info could be written on the leg maybe.  Small towels would also be great - I go through those quickly. I've only been racing two seasons and already have too many shirts.
2011-09-22 9:41 AM

Extreme Veteran
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
Like others have mentioned, I enter for the races not the goodie bag.  I can do without any more tech shirts, I have way more than I need.  I did get a Headsweats visor from one race a while back that I wear but other than that I can do without the swag if they lower the price of the race by 5-10 bucks.
2011-09-22 9:53 AM

Race day swag or lack thereof is of no concern to me when deciding whether or not to sign up for a race.

But, of course, it's nice to receive good stuff.  Here's stuff that I've gotten in race packets that I appreciated:

Towel

Technical T-Shirt

Water Bottle

Running Jacket

Headband

Keychains, coozies, and magnets I have no use for at all.  Coupons/advertisements almost always get trashed immediately.  Rule of thumb:  If it's something that a triathlete would use while training or racing, then it makes a welcome swag item for a triathlon.  Otherwise... maybe, but probably not.

2011-09-22 10:37 AM

Veteran

If your going to give out water bottles, why not use a good quality one(unlike St. A's)?  A bottle thats not insultaed get's passed on to the kid for spraying me on the course or his lemonade stand.

My biggest thing would be....no paper ads or flyers.  Sure I look at them as I stand over my recycle bin and toss them.  This has been brought up before, somewhere about a green race of sorts.  Most of those ads are junk anyways and no "real" value.

How about if you do paper, make it for 50% off bike fitting at the local bike shop who sponsered you.  They did it at Sand Key last year and i LOVED it. It's a great way for the shop to sell you new products, get you in the door and build a lasting relationship.  Its easy to track the usage as well since you actually have to present the coupon to get the discount. 

What I would really like, maybe a headsweat skull cap??

2011-09-22 11:26 AM
in reply to: #3696390

Pro
Twin Cities
A lot of times those "junk" paper ads or flyers are from race sponsors. In exchange for helping in some way to make the race possible, they get free advertising in the packet. If you don't want to read them, recycle them.
2011-09-22 11:28 AM
in reply to: #3695470

Pro
Twin Cities
I've not been overly crazy about any of the actual races...but I do love my commuter backpack form a few years ago. :D
2011-09-22 11:43 AM

Veteran
Missouri
Coffee mugs is a good idea. Drawstring bags are good, too with the race event's logo. You can never have too many. I use one for swimming, one in the car for emergency stuff, bike gear, food, etc.

A t-shirt I think is a definite. Whether you have 10 or 100 t-shirts and you don't get a t-shirt in the bag, some people will still say "And...I didn't even get a t-shirt!" But t-shirt is also good for those who's first race or a memorable race experience that they had.

Shot blocks and gels are a major plus.
2011-09-23 9:24 AM
in reply to: #3696291

Regular
Wisconsin

Love the running shorts idea instead of a Tshirt.

No cotton T-Shirts please.

Why not do this?  Set a preregistration date, and anyone registered by that date can pick any one of your three best options (Shirt, backpack, hat, bag, racebelt, whatever). for the big item.

Everyone after that date gets the default option.

Win win?  A few more preregister and the athlete can pick what they can use.

Edited by Swimbikeron 2011-09-23 9:30 AM

2011-09-23 9:51 AM

Extreme Veteran
Marietta, GA
As a 5'2" female who lives in the ATL metro area and has access to a fair amount of races within a 2 hour drive, the decision to enter comes down to the following (in this order):

1. How well supported is the race? Is there enough drink/food/cops to keep even the BOP'ers happy and safe?

2. What kinda schwag is in the bag and can I wear it without looking like a bum?  My favorite item is a 24 oz hard plastic water bottle with a fliptop lid given at my 1st all-female triathlon (not my first tri, but first tri in a cat fight during the swim...come on ladies, can't we all just get along???). That race will always be a feel-good memory every time I look at the bottle. 

3. Location.

I agree with the fact that most of us have enough T-Shirts. However, if you do give out shirts PLEASE order women specific cuts!  Most chicks don't want to cover up their well earned bodies in a baggy t-shirt.  Think of it as sexy advertising for your race   

Some one mentioned socks.  Loved the socks from St. Anthony's.  They came in handy down the road when I still hadn't done laundry!  
2011-09-23 10:10 AM

Master
Englewood, Florida
Anything different or interesting, if you are trying to set yourself apart from the crowd.

Coffee mug
Shorts
Hat/visor
Beer glass/mug
And of course, anyone that has run for a while needs more socks.

Food items are always welcome, and the sample sizes that the sponsors have put in there worked on me in the past. I do end up buying their stuff (within reason).

I have enough T-shirts, recyclable bags, and non fitting tech shirts to last me a while.
2011-09-23 10:19 AM

Master
Crab Cake City
I base doing a triathlon on the location, price and schwag. What determines if I do the race over again is the price and organization of the event. I like getting race shirts and water bottles as most races give those away but I have plenty of both. I like getting a finishers medal because I like them and I feel that for the money I should get something other than a shirt. Good luck planning your race.
2011-09-23 3:12 PM

Master
Royersford, PA
A lot of races used to give out waterbottles which I really liked but very few seem to do that anymore (Only Eagleman for me the last 3-4 years). It is something that is useful, it is a bit of free advertising for the race, and it is something everyone needs.

The race itself is the primary factor for whether I sign up again, but I will say having some good stuff in the goodie bag helps make a positive impression, but a nice post race cookout or party or activities for the kids score much higher for me!

Good luck with your race!

Edited by southwestmba 2011-09-23 3:14 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Race day swag Rss Feed  

of 3