Ultramax Events
48F / 9C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 05m 19s
Overall Rank = 50/975
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 14/103
Pre-race routine:

Pretty simple. Up at 6:00 am with a cup of coffee and some of my magic oatmeal that I've been eating before my long runs this summer. Out the door and rolled into one of the Livestrong Sporting Park's parking lots. It took a while to get parked as the traffic was moving slow. I think organizers could've benefited from having someone directing traffic instead of having pedestrians and cars trying to get through an intersection at the same time.
Event warmup:

A little chilly. Wore arm warmers even though I knew I would be shedding them once I was racing. Short jog around Sporting Plaza.
Run
  • 1h 05m 19s
  • 9.32 miles
  • 07m 01s  min/mile
Comments:

What a great day for a run. I mean really. Clear sky, perfect running temperature, and hardly any wind. Ideally, I would've placed this race a week or two earlier on my schedule in relation to my marathon, but this is the first 15k road race in the area that I know of, and the race venue and course sounded appealing. However, in the grand scheme of things, this was simply a training run.

To start, I wasn't quite sure how I wanted to pace myself. How does one exactly pace a 9 mile run that you're not really racing? I decided to go mostly feel, especially at the beginning, trying not blow things up too early. I started near the front with no issues on crowding despite the narrow start corral. Around mile 2 or 3 I had a guy come up on me and we started to chat about triathlon. He was getting ready for IM Arizona, so we talked a lot about that as well as last week's Branson 70.3 that he raced. After a mile or two I let him go on ahead of me. I was still at the point where I was unsure how hard I wanted to push things. I was feeling good and racing hard, but I was still unsure as to where to draw the line between hard and too hard. However, I kept motoring along like a machine. My mile splits never varied much and I was feeling great.

The course was a perfect setup and was quintessential Kansas. Mostly flat, but with a few hills here and there, but nothing really noteworthy in terms of climbing. I really was enjoying myself out there. The weather, the wide open fields around the Kansas Speedway, the volunteers, and the other runners. I loved it all. Plus it helps to be feeling great on your run as well. I was expecting to lose some speed as the race went on, but I was holding my mile splits evenly, so with a little over two miles left I picked things up and started charging ahead. Up to that point little had changed in terms of passing. Everyone seemed to be holding there position and pace. Even towards the end no one was making a move to speed up, except me. I was able to pick off about three or four people who I had been staring at for the last four miles and I continued to push hard to the finish. The finish line came up fast. All of a sudden I was headed around a cone and running through the corridors of Livestrong Park before emerging on the field and with a finish line in full view. I tried to pass one other person at the finish but I couldn't quite get catch her.

One thing I was surprised by was how many people don't run the tangents on the course, particularly as the field spread out up front. With exception to one guy in front of me, everyone within my view was hugging the course lines, particularly when it meant taking turns wide. Finding the shortest distance from point to point became nice mental activity. I was just astonished how many people chose to run "the long way." I guess it was just a case of each person following the person ahead of them. My Garmin read within 0.03 of the actual race distance.

Mile splits:
6:51
7:04
7:24
7:11
7:13
7:11
7:05
7:03
6:41
0.32 - 5:37 pace
What would you do differently?:

If I knew how great I would be feeling at the end, even after increasing my speed, I might have held a faster pace for entire race duration. Otherwise, nothing.
Post race
Warm down:

After crossing the finish line you're sent up to the stands and walk the stairs out of the stadium and out into the plaza area. After grabbing a little bit of food I retrieved my race results. I saw that I didn't place and therefore I didn't have to stick around for awards, which I was kinda glad for. I could just go home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

A small 5 mph headwind on the turn for home.
But seriously, nothing. This was just a fun training run.

Event comments:

First year race, but I love the Ultramax crew and their races. However, I sometimes get the feeling that they are either just a tad short on personnel, or in some way they barely miss getting everything off and running without a hitch. Some of the issues are ancillary details but the race itself was great. There were some general logistical items that I would've changed from my standpoint, but I imagine that if this race returns many of these kinks will be worked out.

Last updated: 2011-07-14 12:00 AM
Running
01:05:19 | 9.32 miles | 07m 01s  min/mile
Age Group: 14/103
Overall: 50/975
Performance: Good
Course: Loop course out and around Legend's shopping area and the Kansas Speedway.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-09-26 10:30 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe, KS
Subject: KC 15k

2011-09-26 11:06 AM
in reply to: #3700376

User image

Extreme Veteran
Shawnee, KS
Subject: RE: KC 15k
Great run, and I agree with pretty much everything you said about Ultramax and the race itself.
2011-09-26 1:46 PM

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS

Dude, that was a great run.  I too, wasn't expecting to have energy left after mile 8.  I think I have a better idea of pacing now for the K.C. Half so this was a good ability check for me.

Good Luck in Chicago, I hear there's nothing resembling a hill there, but maybe a wall of some kind after mile 20 or so.  Hopefully everyone before you hits it hard enough to knock it down for you Smile

2011-09-26 3:06 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Nice job! This race is on my "to do" list!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » KC 15k Rss Feed