General Discussion Race Reports! » Douglasville "Last Chance" Triathalon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Douglasville "Last Chance" Triathalon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Douglasville, Georgia
United States
58F / 14C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 00m 57s
Overall Rank = 4/114
Age Group = 34-39
Age Group Rank = 2/16
Event warmup:

Arrived to the Boundaries Aquatic Center at 7:15, with my wife Harmony. This was going to be her first triathlon. It was also my first triathlon in over a year, due to a deployment to Iraq.

Saw and hung out with Darrel (McQ) once set up transition. We went on a short jog through the woods to warm up, then returned to the run start.
Swim
  • 04m 55s
  • 250 meters
  • 01m 58s / 100 meters
Comments:

Event 3

By the time I arrived to the pool, I was pretty tired. I didn't have much energy left, but just dove in and started to swim. I didn't want to lose an OA spot for loafing around.

Once in, I could see across the length of the pool and saw McQ(?) about 5 lengths over. I thought to myself, that looks FAR away! I'm tired now!

As I started the third lane, I saw that the guy behind me got in the pool. I thought to myself, CRAP! Have to get this done! I could hear McQ yelling for me to swim harder from the sidelines.

Finished the swim, coming out of the pool and headed over to talk to McQ. We had a good time talking and joking around. I then went and got my cowbell and we rooted for Mrs. D00d as she came into the T2 and throughout the pool.
Transition 1
  • 00m 50s
Comments:

Entered T1 1 second behind the OA leader. Ran to my bike, took off running shoes, put on cycling shoes and helmet, and ran out. I was about 5 seconds slower than the leader (and eventual OA winner).
What would you do differently?:

I should have done T1 faster to apply pressure to the OA leader.
Bike
  • 38m 31s
  • 12.4 miles
  • 19.32 mile/hr
Comments:

Event 2

Started the bike and put my head down to hammer. I could see the OA leader about 5-10 seconds ahead. I need to work on my transitions, but otherwise thought to myself, "I feel great!" I am going to chase him down!

As we turned into the first hill, I dropped my chain. I yelled out in disgust, jumped off, and tried to put it back on. I don't know if the angle I was on impeded my completion of this task, or I was just flustered, but I could not put it on. I glanced at the top of the hill, which was about a tenth of a mile to the top, and ran to the top with my bike. I easily put the chain on and jumped on, cursing under my breath again, thinking how much time I had lost.

After that, I just put my head down and kept pedaling. The hills were brutal. The lack of hill training during the past year really became a factor during this race.

At mile 7ish, I turned around to see if I could see anyone on the horizon. There was somebody, but I couldn't tell who it was. Then, that person waved. I turned back around and kept pedaling. A few minuets later, on a big hill, McQ pulls up next to me. I told him, "these hills are kicking my ass!" He just said, "keep pushing!"

He dropped me on that hill and I saw him pull away.

At the end of mile 10, somebody else came up on me. As he passed me, he was in aero, not even pedaling. WTF? I was pedaling as hard as I could, in the drops, and he was still pulling away. WTF x2?

It's definitely time to get a tri bike.

At the start of mile 11, the downhills started and I just pedaled as hard as I could. Rolled into T2 and was determined to push the rest of the race as hard as possible.

Lack of hill training was the limiter in this race. I just didn't have anything to climb.

Another factor that probably limited my ability to race well on this segment was the fact that I was without a bike for the 3 weeks leading up to this race. Shipping my road bike home from Iraq took much longer than I expected.
Transition 2
  • 50m
Comments:

Good transition. Racked bike, took off shoes and helmet, grabbed goggles, then ran to the pool. Ran hard.

Nothing.
Run
  • 17m 6s
  • 2.96 miles
  • 05m 47s  min/mile
Comments:

Event 1 (Run Bike Swim)

Right after returning from a short run with McQ, entered T1 and gave my wife a kiss. Then, bumped fists with McQ, and I headed to the front of the line. The RD counted down and we were off!

The start of the race was fast and furious. Several young kids and a few older guys were at the front. I recognized the run leader from my first DLCT. He was the overall winner and was starting off the same as last time...fast.

During the 2008 DLCT, he dropped me in the first half mile. Not this time! I went right up to the front with him and we pushed the pace hard. A few young guys hung with us for a little, but then dropped back.

"Fastie" continued to push the pace, but this time, I called his bluff and pushed to the front. He started to huff and puff and fell back. We were running a 5:40ish pace and he fell back further. I really thought I had blown him up and pushed it just a little harder.

For the next 10 minutes (or so), I kept the pace up. there were several patches of sand and soft dirt, so I'd run on the edges of the trail to avoid those areas. I also tried cutting around trees sharply, trying to run the shortest distance

Towards the middle of the 2nd mile, I heard him come up on me, then go for the pass. Damn, this guy is strong! He passed me, but I stayed right on his tail. Looking at my garmin told me that we didn't have long before the end. No sense in overdoing it right at the end.

As we entered the clearing that led to T1, the RD announced us and told the crowd that we had set a run course record by over 2 minutes!

Fastie crossed the line one second ahead of me, then headed for his bike. I did the same.

Maybe push the middle part of the run more. I think I could have dropped Fastie if I decided to make it painful.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

Once again, lack of hill training. Iraq is flat. No hills.

I was pleased with the overall race. I came in 4th OA and 2nd AG. My goals for this race were to A) have fun, B) stave off a McQ assault, and C) finish top 10 overall. Succeeded in 2/3, so not too bad. :)

I was able to use my strength, which is running, to have a good race. I need to work on my bike hard during winter to be ready for some serious racing next year.

I also got to talk to alot of ppl after the race, to include the overall winner. He mentioned that he thought I'd hang on the bike. LOL...he didn't know I suck at the bike! :)

Event comments:

This is a good, old fashioned triathlon. Fun atmosphere and small.

Last updated: 2011-10-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:04:55 | 250 meters | 01m 58s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/16
Overall: 0/114
Performance: Average
Suit: Desoto Forza Trisuit
Course: 250 meter serpentine pool swim
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:50
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:38:31 | 12.4 miles | 19.32 mile/hr
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: Course is touted as easy with one challenging hill. HA! Not! There are several hills.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering:
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 50:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:17:06 | 02.96 miles | 05m 47s  min/mile
Performance: Good
Course: Smooth trail run with a few patches of loose dirt/sand. A few short hills, but nothing too bad.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-10-11 8:42 PM

User image

Elite
Whispering Pines, North Carolina
Subject: Douglasville "Last Chance" Triathalon

2011-10-12 7:36 PM
in reply to: #3720114

User image

Elite
SE
Subject: RE: Douglasville "Last Chance" Triathalon
great day d00d. not just the race, but the fact that you are back in the states and able to do what you love with your fam again!
2011-10-13 1:45 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Acworth, GA

d00d that was fun hangin' out and racing.  Super solid race and 5:47 run split, geez! At least this time I was able to eat your dust for the first 1/4 mile before I had fresh air again given that you dropped the field.

But come on, McQ assault? I'm just glad I age up next year. 

d00d, the smile on Harmony's face when she finished, that was cool to see! Congrats to her.

Welcome home my friend!

Edited by Mc Q 2011-10-13 1:47 PM
2011-10-13 2:35 PM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Georgia
I knew you were gonna be close to an OA win...Just can't deny someone who runs fast.

Congrats!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Douglasville "Last Chance" Triathalon Rss Feed