General Discussion Race Reports! » Pinehurst Turkey Trot Half Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Pinehurst Turkey Trot Half Marathon - Run

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Pinehurst, North Carolina
United States
FirstHealth
40F / 4C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 08m 50s
Overall Rank = 147/180
Age Group = M20-29
Age Group Rank = 20/21
Pre-race routine:

Day started out a little off, as I got up 30 min late. Didn't have time to shower in the AM, just hopped in the car and off I went. Pinehurst is a good 75miles away, but fortunately there was little traffic and no cops so I made it with plenty of time.
Ate a clif bar with plenty of water on the drive down (~1-2hrs before start). Sips of water thru-out drive.
Got to the race site with ~45minutes before start. Changed clothes, decided to wear shorts and not warm-up pants. Good decision. Got the race packet, chip, etc.
Decided to use my ipod for this race. I've never used it in a race before, but was glad I did as there were many lonely spots on the course, which was pretty windy with not all that many participants.
Spent a little while stretching, took a short jog around the parking lot, and wandered up to the start line.
Had a gel about 5 minutes before start, and another at the half-way.
Event warmup:

Stretching & short jog in parking lot before start.
Run
  • 2h 08m 50s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 50s  min/mile
Comments:

Overall, an excellent run. I did a great job pacing myself and at nutrition. Had one gel right before start and another at the half-way point. One thing is for sure - running events are SO much easier than triathlons, especially in terms of nutrition.
There weren't all that many runners in the half-mary (they also had 1mile, 5K and 10K races), so once everybody got spread out after the first 3-4miles, it was pretty sparse.
Not a single person passed me for the entire race, after the initial mass spread out. For the first 6 miles, the only other people that I passed were old and female. It was a bit demoralizing ... "why was I the only young person, and the only male, that I had seen in like 4 miles?!" I was thinking. Finally right around the half-way I catch up with this younger girl and am motivated to pass her, and I can see several people in the distance. The further along I got in the race, the more people I'd pass, probably 15 total. One guy I passed and then he immediately passed me back (I think he was running with this other slower guy and he turned it up a notch to the finish).
But it was definitely good I had my ipod, especially on the lonely parts of the course. There were MANY times when I couldn't see ANYONE around.
I thought every once in a while about cadence and ChiRunning ideas, which definitely helped especially on the hills in the second half.
I did significantly better (30sec/mile faster than Inside-Out Sports Half Mary in October), which I mainly attribute to a few things:
- Kept a slightly faster pace during the bulk of the race, since I knew I could get thru without issues, having done it once already. I think the short, fast runs I've done recently might have helped with this, and especially with my kick over the last 5K. Last time I was very reserved, wanting to make sure I finished the whole thing running.
- Walked fewer and shorter at aid stations. At the first aid station I didn't get anything since I was well hydrated. Then at several I would just grab a cup and have a sip or two on the run. At ~2 I would stop and fast-walk and have most of the cup. Did the same at the half-way with the gel. Before, I took a good bit more time at the aid stations, not stopping but walking more slowly.
- Didn't have to stop to tie any shoes (did last time).
What would you do differently?:

Not much. Train more so I can run faster.
Very happy with pacing and nutrition.
Official chip time was 2:09:08, which is consistent with what I'd expect. As I said somewhere, there was no timing mat at the start and I was at the back of the pack.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, had some water.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I'm slow!! Seriously it's somewhat demoralizing that everyone else in these races who is even remotely my age or sex is SOOO much faster than I am.
I guess that's partly at least because most of them probably had track/cross-country training, or at least did varsity sports in either HS or college. The last time I played a serious team sport was in elementary school.

Last updated: 2005-11-19 12:00 AM
Running
02:08:50 | 13.1 miles | 09m 50s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/21
Overall: 0/180
Performance: Good
Mile 1: 9:47 Mile 2: 10:10 Mile 3: 10:12 Mile 4: 10:05 Mile 5: 9:58 Mile 6-7: 9:58/mile Mile 8: 10:06 Mile 9: 9:54 Mile 10: 10:06 (big uphill) Mile 11-12: 9:17/mile Mile 13.1: 9:06/mile
Course: Lollipop-shaped, stem was ~3.5miles, with a 10K loop. The 10K loop is virtually identical to the one at the Pinehurst Olympic Tri. They had a pretty ghetto timing system. We had chips, but there was no timing mat at the start, which I didn't realize until I ran past this green painted "start" line on the ground. Before the start, the organizer said we'd get a one-mile split, which meant there was this dude with a stop-watch yelling out times every 5 seconds. I'll have to see my official time, but it will be some 20-30 seconds shorter than my measured time since I started at the back of the pack. The course started out pretty flat for ~2-3miles, then 2 large hills, then generally flat for another mile or so. Then a good 4-5 miles of never-ending rolling hills. Then a nice flat section right along a lake, which was quite pretty. Then more rolling hills, which seemed steeper but a little more spaced out than earlier. Then back onto the flat section, up one big hill, then flat for the last ~5K.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-11-19 7:10 PM

User image

Expert
Seattle WA
Subject: Pinehurst Turkey Trot Half Marathon

2005-11-20 7:17 AM
in reply to: #288739

Subject: RE: Pinehurst Turkey Trot Half Marathon
Great race Tom! You smoked your time from a month ago! Don't let comparison to your ag demoralize you. Compare your performances over the past year. You are making great progress.
2005-11-20 7:22 AM

Extreme Veteran
Wilmington, NC
Woohoo!! Way to go! I was also there at the race but ran in the 10km. It was chilly to start out with that day. I did decide to wear tights and a long sleeve t-shirt and I was fine...the course was pretty, but I have to be honest...I was expecting the hills. I guess I should have! Anyhow...great run!
Leanne
2005-11-20 8:30 AM

User image

Regular
Durham, NC

Great Job Tom!

That is great progress in 1 month. Just think how fast you will be in April...

Have a relaxing rest of your weekend.

2005-11-20 8:34 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, North Carolina

Way to go Tom!  You blasted your last half and your goal time.  That's a BIG accomplishment buddy!  You neg split your run too.  Looking at your splits, you're were soooper strong at the end.  Glad you got some passing in!   

For the first 6 miles, the only other people that I passed were old and female.

You're so freaking funny!!!!  Glad you got some more passes in after 1/2 way! 

Congrats and way to go Tom!

2005-11-20 11:51 AM

Extreme Veteran
Cary, NC
tpetersen02 - 2005-11-19 4:10 PM
The last time I played a serious team sport was in elementary school.

Sweet--were you captin of the dodge ball team? Or was if four-square? Great race--you really did a great job pacing yourself--it's always nice to be able to bring it home strong!

2005-11-20 1:43 PM

Extreme Veteran
Randleman, NC
Awesome race Tom! You ran it smart too. I wish I would have been a little more conservative in my race and finished like you did. I was REALLY spent at the end. Those times when you are alone is when you find out what you are made of. Do I slow down because no one will know or keep up the pace because I trained and can do it? Congratulations on a race well run.

Fred
2005-11-20 3:11 PM

User image

Master
Plant City, FL
Great race Tom!! I'm glad you were able to meet your goal and had an awesome time!!
2005-11-20 3:35 PM

User image

Veteran
Awesome run Tom!  You are definitely becoming a FAST runner!  I predict many sub-9 races in your future
2005-11-20 4:17 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Winston-Salem, NC
Great race, Tom!! You paced it so well. You are improving so much...I can't wait to race with you this Spring!
2005-11-20 5:34 PM

User image

Elite
DC Metro, slowly working my way to NC
Terrific race!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Pinehurst Turkey Trot Half Marathon Rss Feed