General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bi-Lateral Breathing Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-12-13 4:17 PM

User image

Elite
Muskego, WI
Subject: Bi-Lateral Breathing
OK, since flip turns are being discussed, mastered, or dismissed in other threads, let me ask about bi-lateral breathing.

I feel I can do it from a technique standpoint, but after 50 yards or so (at most) I begin to feel like I am losing breath little by little. Eventually I NEED to take some single-side breaths to get myself back to "normal". By then I decide it's not worth it and talk myself out of it for that session.

Is this something that will eventually improve? Do I ALWAYS bi-laterally breathe and just STOP when I am out of breath, and begin again when I am re-oxygenated? Or, do I do 50 bi-lateral/50 normal or something to slowly acclimate myself? Will I eventually acclimate?

2005-12-13 4:28 PM
in reply to: #304905

User image

Elite
Hurst, Texas
Subject: RE: Bi-Lateral Breathing
I'm the same way.  I can now do the bilateral breathing, but at a huge cost.  I lose steam much quicker, and just don't have the same rhythm.  For me, it isn't worth the stress, so I stick to single side breathing and will use bilateral in temporary spurts if it becomes a necessity for sighting, sun in the eyes, etc.
2005-12-13 4:36 PM

User image

Champion
Sydney

eew..bilateral breathing is on my list of things to master...AGAIN!

I say again because at high school I used to swim breathing ever 3 strokes but since fitness classes are long gone I have some how regressed to breathing on one side. I have one suggestion that seems to help me though...if you have some swim fins use those while you are doing the drills because it takes some of the pressure of you needing to maintain your speed and so you can concerntrate on the breathing etc plus makes it easier....

I dont know if it works for everyone but certainly helps me!

2005-12-13 4:37 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
Are you trying to stretch your breathing out to every third arm-stroke instead of every left (or right) arm-stroke? Are you exhaling under water?

I usually breathe every other cycle (4 arm-strokes). Left side on the way up the pool, right side on the way back.

Go slow, make a larger rotation when breathing on your "off" side, and take your time. Eventually, it'll feel more normal and you can speed up, turn less, and start dialing it in.

Don't give up, 'cause Murphy will show up at your next race and make all of the waves come in from your good-breathing side.
2005-12-13 4:38 PM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
THere is an easy solution to every dilemna...

Bilateral breathing, in my mind, means being able to breath on both sides.  It does not mean breath every 3rd stroke.  You need to breath when your body needs to exhaust CO2 or intake O2  (usually the former prompts breathing first).

The "rhythm" of your breathing depends on your fitness level, technique, how hard your working, etc, etc.  Sometimes you'll need to breath every 2nd stroke (each right side for example in my counting), every 3rd stroke, every 4th stroke or every 5th or even more.  You need to be able to breath on both sides in order to keep a natural rhythm purely for the sake of oxygenation/ventilation.

The easy solution is this.  On the way down, breath only to the right.  On the way back, breath only to the left.  At my pools, I always breath towards the windows.  This forces balanced practice, allows me to breath on an even stroke cadence (2nd, 4th, etc).  It is only rarely that I will deliberately alternate sides with each breath.  In an open water situation, you will most likely be breathign only to one side for a variety of reasons (sun, waves, splashing), so getting used to a n "even" breathign cadence makes sense.  There is no magic to breathign every 3rd stroke, just be sure that your practice is balanced.

It has become so natural to me to breath always towards the windows that my stroke stays well balanced in terms of which side I breath on.

Hope that helps.
2005-12-13 4:39 PM

User image

Buttercup

Yes, you will eventually improve. Your strength and timing of your left arm/breathing will eventually catch up with your right side if you consistently practice bilateral breathing.

When you get to the point where you find yourself needing to breathe from the right side to 'catch up' on your breathing, don't sweat it. Just catch your breath and when you're ready, start bilateral breathing again. Eventually, it will become habit.

2005-12-13 4:50 PM

From just an efficiency standpoint (going through the water faster), is there an advantage to breathing from each side, alternating with each stroke? It seems to me it might help to balance hip movement.
2005-12-13 4:58 PM
in reply to: #304928

User image

Elite
Muskego, WI
StartingOld - 2005-12-13 4:50 PM

From just an efficiency standpoint (going through the water faster), is there an advantage to breathing from each side, alternating with each stroke? It seems to me it might help to balance hip movement.

That's what I've heard, and why I want to do it. To other posters...thanks for your advice so far. And, to answer, I guess I CAN breathe out of either side (bi-laterally) to some extent, but I am trying to master breathing every 3rd stroke, and seem to run out of breath. Is that just ME, or will that improve?
2005-12-13 5:04 PM

User image

Expert
Kaneohe, Hawaii

I've never had a problem with bilateral breathing. When I first started swimming a few years ago I noticed pretty early that I liked to breath on my right side. I didn't want to have a handicap of only being able to breath on one side so I forced myself to breath on the left side until it felt as natural as the right. It didn't take long before it didn't matter which side I breathed on and this really helps a lot during OWS (all of my swimming is done in open water). As stated above, there are often factors which making breathing on one side or the other difficult at best such as waves, wind, splashing, sun. Being able to adapt to an otherwise uncomfortable situation could possibly make or break your overall experience come race day. Eliminating that possibility is a big step toward overall tri enjoyment IMO.

Also as stated above, it is not a requirement that you breath every third stroke. I tend to breath on every third stroke because that just happens to be the O2 requirement I seem to have. If I encounter current or fall out of tempo for some reason... or if I try to catch someone and expend more than the usual amount of O2 I don't have any problem breathing every 2nd stroke until I feel refreshed enough to go back to every 3rd.

I think more than anything else, bilateral breathing adds a level of freedom in a challenging environment. The way I see it, the more freedom you have the more enjoyable your time in that environment usually becomes. I guess the only thing better than bilateral breathing would be a blow-hole!

2005-12-13 5:04 PM

User image

Master
Savannah,
Just wanted to chime in that this is the one thing I CAN do! Yippee! I run slower than Jaba the Hut, I fall off of my bike on a regular basis, but I can breathe baby. Chances are you are faster on the run and don't have so many ground encounters on your bike. Focus on your strengths and work on the rest and have FUN! I know, not very practical....but practical is not always..um...well, practical.
2005-12-13 5:34 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
You will improve.  I was a strong single sided breather my whole life until a recent neck injury and I could not turn my head to the right...forced to breathe left or not swim.  Now I can bi-lateral breathe comfortably if I want to.....just keep pluggin away...I would not reccomend a neck injury tho

2005-12-14 6:32 AM

User image

Expert
Potomac, Maryland
I'm with adventure bear.  I can breathe on either side, but only use bilateral breathing on every third stroke when there is a specific need.  Bilateral breathing uses more oxygen more quickly.  Doesn't seem like a wise investment of energy to do it through the entire swim leg of a triathlon. 
2005-12-14 6:54 AM

User image

Master
Centennial, CO
I guess the one thing I always heard was that bi-lateral breathing can help in body roll, keeping you fairly even from one side to the other. But my understanding was that in open water swimming when everyone is banging to get ahead and you get knocked around, sometimes you really need to be able to breath to your off side to get air and not water.
2005-12-14 6:59 AM
in reply to: #305173

User image

Champion

Ken - 2005-12-14 6:32 AM I'm with adventure bear.  I can breathe on either side, but only use bilateral breathing on every third stroke when there is a specific need.  Bilateral breathing uses more oxygen more quickly.  Doesn't seem like a wise investment of energy to do it through the entire swim leg of a triathlon. 

I don't quite follow.  How is it any different than breathing on one side only?  I've done it both ways and feel far more efficient breathing on both sides once I learned how.

2005-12-14 7:03 AM
in reply to: #304916

User image

Crystal Lake, IL

Sounds like some kind of zen mantra for training.  I think I'll use it, if you don't mind.

AdventureBear - 2005-12-13 4:38 PM

breathe towards the windows

2005-12-14 7:03 AM
in reply to: #305187

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
I do two breaths on one side every stroke (with the same arm, guess that's "two" strokes really), then switch to the other side ("three" strokes) and do two breathes there.

I know my left arm/stroke is weaker, so I want to make sure I work on being even and smooth from all positions and breathing on both sides seems to make sense for that. Plus it really helps you get that full shoulder rotation they say you should have for an efficient stroke.

But what the heck do I know, I'm a total newb. in the pool!!

2005-12-14 7:48 AM
in reply to: #305187

User image

Expert
Potomac, Maryland
DerekL - 2005-12-14 6:59 AM

Ken - 2005-12-14 6:32 AM I'm with adventure bear.  I can breathe on either side, but only use bilateral breathing on every third stroke when there is a specific need.  Bilateral breathing uses more oxygen more quickly.  Doesn't seem like a wise investment of energy to do it through the entire swim leg of a triathlon. 

I don't quite follow.  How is it any different than breathing on one side only?  I've done it both ways and feel far more efficient breathing on both sides once I learned how.

Breathing on one side means you are taking a breath every second stroke, bilateral is breathing every third stroke and alternating sides for your breath.  My point is that I generally breathe on one side only, though I can do bilateral breathing when necessary.  It's definitely a plus in an open water swim for getting bearings.  But bilateral breathing also unquestionably uses more oxygen (you're holding your breath longer, and stroking more on a single breath), so I do it sparingly.  

2005-12-14 7:54 AM
in reply to: #305184

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

velocomp - 2005-12-14 7:54 AM I guess the one thing I always heard was that bi-lateral breathing can help in body roll, keeping you fairly even from one side to the other. But my understanding was that in open water swimming when everyone is banging to get ahead and you get knocked around, sometimes you really need to be able to breath to your off side to get air and not water.

I find that practicing bi-lateral breathing does help better balance my shoulder rotation.  My shoulder rotation to the left was fine when I was always breathing on the right, but I wasn't rotating as far back to the right.  Probably was a contributing factor to my zip-zag directional problems.

From a practical standpoint, most of the OW swims here on the gulf coast are north-to-south, meaning that all I could ever see was open water when I was right side breathing only.  Makes navigation more difficult.  Learning to breathe to the left occasionally lets me see the beach and gives me a better idea if I'm heading in the right direction.

2005-12-14 8:00 AM

User image

Elite
Muskego, WI
It has always been my impression that the good swimmers with the best form breathe every 3rd stroke. That's the way it seems to be at the pool I train in. I am learning here that this is not the case? Since I CAN breathe out of either side, maybe I shouldn't worry about trying to breathe every 3rd stroke?
2005-12-14 8:47 AM
in reply to: #305223

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ohio

morey1 - 2005-12-14 9:00 AM It has always been my impression that the good swimmers with the best form breathe every 3rd stroke. That's the way it seems to be at the pool I train in. I am learning here that this is not the case? Since I CAN breathe out of either side, maybe I shouldn't worry about trying to breathe every 3rd stroke?

I would just breathe when it's comfortable for you. My breathing can vary depending on how fast I'm swimming, and what I'm working on.

I would also be interested in knowing how many people have actually had to use bilateral breathing in an OWS??? I've done 3, one with a shotgun start-crowded, and I really never felt the need to use bilateral breathing. It seems to maybe be over emphasized a bit, but I come from a swimming background (granted it was along time ago...) so maybe not?

2005-12-14 9:26 AM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
I'll repeat, not to worry about it.  It all depends on when you need to breathe.  Breathe when you need air, whether that's every 2nd, 3rd or 4th stroke.  I feel like i have  agood body roll while stroking and I don't need to turn my head out of the water to get that roll.  IF that's why you're doing it, practice some body roll drills.   Practice breathing both sides, but there's no magic in every 3rd stroke.

I also do not follow the idea that every 3rd breath "uses" more oxygen. I understand that it's longer before you exhale and take in new air, but if your body's O2 requirement is not being exceeded, then it's a moot point.  It would onlly "use" more oxygen if it took more effort. 

Besides, the urge to breath is usually prompted by a buildup of carbon dioxide, not by a defecit of oxygen, so i never really believed all the stuff about "hypoxic" training.  Rather it teaches yoru body to tolerate a  higher CO2 buildup.  Again, that's for a different thread!

-Suzanne

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bi-Lateral Breathing Rss Feed