General Discussion Race Reports! » 25th Annual Midwinter Classic 10 Miler Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

25th Annual Midwinter Classic 10 Miler - Run

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Cape Elizabeth, Maine
United States
Maine Track Club
45F / 7C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 09m 37s
Overall Rank = 94/510
Age Group = M20-34
Age Group Rank = 27/64
Event warmup:

Very short jog, light stretching.
Run
  • 1h 09m 37s
  • 10 miles
  • 06m 58s  min/mile
Comments:

My big goal for today was to go under 7 minutes/mile. I hadn't done any running (and not much of anything else) since Tuesday, and wasn't sure how I'd feel. So, my strategy (if you can call it that) was to run pretty hard the first mile or so, and see where I was at, then see how likely it was that I could maintain 7's.

I lined up a few rows back, which, in retrospect, was too close to the front. I was keeping pace with people much faster than I should have been - there were a lot of superstud runners at this thing. Hit mile 1 at 6:17. Whoops! Hey genius - better back it off a little. Mile 2 was a little more reasonable (6:48), as was Mile 3 (6:54). So at this point, I'm a minute ahead of pace, and feeling pretty good, even with some of the early hills.

Mile 4 and 5 were steady, with some climbing, and I kept right around 7's. Hit the midway point just a few seconds above 34 minutes. It was at this point that life took a turn for the worse. I had taken a gel at the mile 3 water stop, and figured I had not had enough water with it, so I slowed down at the mile 5 water stop to drink a pretty full cup of water. I don't know if it was the water, the gel, or the pound of steak tips I had for dinner last night, but I started to develop a nasty cramp/side stitch. Mile 6 became one of the worst miles I've run in a race, trying to keep pushing up the hills while trying to ignore the major pain just under my ribs. Hit the end of mile 6 at 41:20 - crap, losing time. Tried to not stress about that and keep my goal in mind. The cramp/stitch started to subside a little, but basically stuck with me the rest of the way.

Miles 7, 8, and 9 seemed to be a perpetual, uphill grind. Not super steep for the most part, but just non-stop climbing. I think 7 and 8 were a few seconds over 7 minutes each, and through mile 9 I was having to pull up all my mental energy to keep moving, and still was losing some time. I hit the 9 mile mark at 1:02:40, and started giving myself the pep talk about "just one more mile, you can do anything for 7 minutes, you WILL make your goal". The first half of mile 10 was still uphill, but then it started to level off. Kept talking to myself - "just keep turning your feet, just keep turning them over...". Made the turn off the main road and started kicking even harder. Crossed the line at 1:09:37 (6:57 for that last mile).
What would you do differently?:

NOT eat a pound of steak tips the night before.
Post race
Warm down:

Waited by the finish to see some other people I know finish, then inside for bagels, bananas, and pizza.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Probably something to do with nutrition/hydration...

Event comments:

I have to be happy overall with how things turned out today. Pretty grueling parts, but I feel like I toughed my way through it, and made my goal. Definitely gives me some mental strength to take into this season's long events. I also beat last year's time at this same race by almost 6 minutes, so I have to be pretty happy about seeing that kind of progress in a year.

Last updated: 2006-02-05 12:00 AM
Running
01:09:37 | 10 miles | 06m 58s  min/mile
Age Group: 27/64
Overall: 94/510
Performance: Good
Course: 10 mile loop that felt like it was uphill the whole way.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2006-02-05 12:58 PM

User image

Master
Maine
Subject: 25th Annual Midwinter Classic 10 Miler

2006-02-05 1:02 PM
in reply to: #339156

User image

Extreme Veteran
Waterboro, Maine
Subject: RE: 25th Annual Midwinter Classic 10 Miler
Very impressive! The weather is pretty good for Feb. in Maine - had the rain stopped for the race? You toughed it out . Wow, did you ever. Great race!
2006-02-05 5:57 PM

User image

Master
Bronze member
I would say you definitely demo-ed mental toughness here- Congrats on meeting your goal (!!!)
Think about how sweet that is to meet your goal under way less than "optimum" conditions"- makes it even sweeter- ..AND you learned- all a step moving forward...
Really good race.
2006-02-08 9:36 AM

, Alabama

Amazing race.  Great job keeping the goal in mind (and meeting it) even with the side stitch.

Sharon

2006-02-08 12:29 PM

User image

Expert
Northern VA
Great time even if you hadn't had cramping. Congrats!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » 25th Annual Midwinter Classic 10 Miler Rss Feed