General Discussion Triathlon Talk » weekly mileage for Sprint Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-03-06 6:49 PM

User image

Regular
Subject: weekly mileage for Sprint

Looking through the last 4 Runner's World training logs, I see that I surely have fallen!

There were weeks i put in 45 to 50 miles (no walking, just running, at at average pace of 8 min/mile). I always did a nice long run on the weekend, appx 10 to 13 miles.

I guess I should stop looking back , and start looking forward. Back when I was a better/faster runner I was  only running. Not swimming or biking. So I need to be satisfied with 25 miles a week for the runs...or should I?

**Is 25 miles/week too much or too little, in your opinions? I am training for a Sprint but also have a strong running background, and want to lose weight, so I am not just putting the miles in for the Triathlon.

***Let me know what you guys think **** I really want to know! How much are you guys putting in for the run leg? I am sure you are all biking more than me, that's for sure!! I swim 3x week, only for about 30 min.

2006-03-06 7:00 PM
in reply to: #362615

User image

Master
Maine
Subject: RE: weekly mileage for Sprint

25 miles a week is more than enough for a sprint. Looking at your log it's clear that you're from a running background, and most pure runners have a hard time with the concept of running "only" three times a week, and "only" 20-30 miles. 

To give you some perspective - I'm in the middle of a full ironman training plan, and I'm currently running 25-35 miles a week, with three to four runs.  Running is definitely my strongest of the three sports - I've been getting faster and faster (even at shorter races like 5ks) with this many miles or fewer. 

Your swimming sounds about right, but I would put way more time in on the bike (more than 20 miles anyway ).  Getting stronger on the bike will help your running, especially during a tri - having a lot of run speed and stamina will not help you out if you are dead coming off the bike. 

Good luck!

-Rob

Edited by huskyboy 2006-03-06 7:02 PM
2006-03-06 7:11 PM

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington
A sprint is generally a 5K-4mile run leg. And you've got a good running background. You're going to be one of those maddening people that can pop off a good run on some pretty minimal run training (at least for a while). BUT... Having a strong run in a tri isn't all about being a strong runner (though you're in a better position to have a good run that a weaker runner). The trick is to get your training up to where the bike leg doesn't kick you in the a$$ so much that you're knackered for the run.

For me, 25 miles is PLENTY for a sprint. I went into mine last season with a lot less (but much more bike mileage). My long runs were never more than probably 7 miles, and that was only occasionally. But the bike rides were upward of 40 (I do have a bike racing background as well).

Hope that helps.
2006-03-06 7:25 PM

User image

From a non-runner here, I think it's on the verge of too much.

Train your limiters, not your strong leg (yeah, maybe I should take that advice)

2006-03-06 7:25 PM
in reply to: #362630

User image

Regular

Thank you guys...

My husband is taking me for a new bike on Saturday so I can finally put the miles in that I need to I can NOT wait!!! I am currently (when it's not friggin freezing here in NY) riding a small mountain bike (my teenage daughter's, LOL).

...By the way, I totally agree with your quote... "Winter is nature's way of saying 'Up yours'." - Robert Byrne

2006-03-06 7:26 PM

User image

Expert
Los Gatos, CA
You should check the box "run" and move on to your real limiters. I just did a marathon on 25-35 miles per week, so I think you are fine for the sprint ;-) Heck, are you sure you will be warmed up by mile 3? In triathlon you need to work on your limiters to optimize your overall race performance, your weakest link. Running clearly isn't one of them. Human nature what it is, people tend to do the most of what they are best at which goes counter to this logic.

2006-03-06 7:30 PM

User image

Regular

Thank you You guys rock! Perhaps the new bike will spur me on to actually ride it! You're right, i need to work on the weak legs, and the weakest of all for me is the bike. I guess I'm weird...most people LOVE the bike!!!

Happy tri's to you

2006-03-06 7:51 PM

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
In my opinion, 25 miles a week is plenty for a sprint distance tri. Of course the only time I ever got up to 40 miles weeks was when I was training for a marathon. If you want to get the most out of your first few races, try and get as much time on your bike. Most tris you spend the majority of the race on the bike and the first few times you get off the bike and try to run...well lets just say you don't exactly feel capable of ripping off a fast run leg.
However if weight loss is also a goal, running is one of the best exersices in terms of cals burned per hour of exercise. Having been there myself, I know when I cut back on my milage I tend to put on pounds. One way to compensate is to do bricks. A 30 min bike followed by a 30 minute run lets you feel what your legs feel like in a race, and you are supercharged in terms of burning cals (nothing scientific to back that up, but you are already warmed up and you are working two sets of muscules instead of just one)
2006-03-06 8:14 PM

User image

Master
Maine
Ok, if all you've had to work with is an old mountain bike, then I don't blame you for not racking up the bike miles yet - hopefully you and your new bike will get lots of quality time together!
2006-03-06 8:14 PM

User image

Master
Minnesota
I agree with the others - focus more on your bike
2006-03-06 11:59 PM

User image

Master
McKinney, TX

I'm training for an Olympic distance now, and the most running I have scheduled in a week is 25. By comparison, that same week I have about 90 miles on the bike. The run is my strong suit, the bike is my weakness. My goal is to get in enough running in to stay in good condition, but bike more than I did last year to not suck so bad on that leg.

Struggling on the bike definitely can affect your run performance. I can pretty much run 8:00 miles with minimal effort in training, but the best run I've had in a tri has been 8:27. The reason being I have to expend so much effort to have just a back of the back bike split (16-17 mph), that my legs are completely gone when it comes to where I should be towards the top.

Keep your strengths, strengthen your weaknesses. Think of a tri like an exam in 3 subjects, one for each leg of the tri. Your final grade is the sum of the three. If there are a couple of subjects that you are pretty comfortable with, you're probably going to spend most of the time studying up on what's going to hurt you.

2006-03-07 7:45 AM

User image

Crystal Lake, IL

I'm about halfway through the book Iron Will right now and if you want to read what happens to runners who think running experience will automatically transfer to the run leg of a triathlon, READ THIS BOOK! 

I know a sprint isn't an ironman and you're running will be of great benefit to you, but the stories are great and it really shows what triathlon's are all about.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » weekly mileage for Sprint Rss Feed