Shamrock Sportsfest
45F / 7C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 36m 15s
Overall Rank = 319/1738
Age Group = M 35 - 39
Age Group Rank = 47/194
Pre-race routine:

Usual pre-race nutrition: Powerbar, Whey Gatorade Mix, and Red Bull.
Event warmup:

Very little warm up. It was very cold (and windy) and I just tried to stay warm. Some stretching about 15 minutes before the start.

Run
  • 3h 36m 15s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 08m 15s  min/mile
Comments:

Got up at 5:45 for a 7:30 am start to make the 25 minute drive to the Oceanfront early so I could find parking somewhat close to the finish (the half mary started at 7 am). I arrived about 1 hour before the start of the race, but decided to sit in my warm car until just before the start of the half mary. At that time I walked the 8 blocks to the start and tried to find a spot in the sun to keep warm. The weather started in the mid 30's and was in the upper 40's by the end. There was a pretty good wind, which is usual along the Oceanfront this time of year. The first 7ish miles of the race were down wind, with the next 13ish into the wind, and the final 10k down wind (which was nice!!!).

I was a little undecided on pace even just before the start. I ran a 3:48 in Disney 2 months ago and I figured I might be able to go a little under 3:45 this time around. I went to the start about 10 minutes ahead of time and situated myself between the 3:40 and 3:50 pacers. At precisely 7:30 the horn went off and we started. It took me about 30+ seconds to reach the start.

When the horn went off I started moving forward without any idea of pace, but surprisingly I quickly settled into a groove (lately, it has been taking me 3-4 miles before I find a groove, but today it was just there). Around 8 minutes in I started looking for the 1 Mile marker. At 9:30 on my watch I knew for sure that I missed it, so I continued my pace. Again around 16 minutes into the race I started looking for Mile 2, but again missed. This was starting to get frustrating as I had no idea of my pace. Somewhere after what should have been Mile 2, I noticed a pretty large group running together and I decided I would join them until I found my pace. I started to talk to someone near the back to the group and he told me that this was the 3:40 pace group (I didn't notice the runner in front with the big 3:40 across his back - that should have been a clue - DUH!) Anyway, my new pace goal for the race was to stick where I could see the 3:40 leader. I also finally found the mile markers at Mile 3 (I now knew what to look for) and confirmed that I was running a 8:20 pace.

I bumped into a friend around Mile 4 who was also planning to stick with the 3:40 leader. We chatted for Miles 4 - 7, without incident. The pacer was running consistent 8:20's. We made the turn to head into the wind somewhere after Mile 7 and I put on my headphones for motivation. Again, the next couple miles were uneventful with a consistent pace. Somewhere after Mile 9, I could tell that we had picked up pace and the Mile 10 time came in at 7:58. Still, I stuck with the pacer. Mile 11 and 12 were also 8's, even though part of the run was along with boardwalk with a pretty good wind coming at us. When we reached the half marathon point, my watch read - 1:47:30 - right on a 3:35 pace. I didn't feel like I could keep that fast of pace for another 13.1 miles, but I was feeling pretty good. So, I decided to trust the pacer and I stuck with him.

Finally around Mile 15, the pacer slowed a bit, getting us much closer to the 8:20ish pace. At this time, I was also getting very hungry! I had taken a bunch of water and gatorade along the way, but now I needed a gel. Right around Mile 16, the Carb-boom oasis arrived. I took the gel and we turned onto a nice tree lined double highway. The gel hit the spot and I was still feeling pretty strong. Somewhere around Mile 18, I decided to go alone for a bit and I left the 3:40 pace group behind. I still wasn't sure I could hold the pace, but I figured while I had the energy I would push on. The next couple of miles were around 8:10's. When we turned into Fort Story, I knew the rest of the race was downwind - YAY!

When I hit Mile 20, I knew with a decent 10k that sub 3:35 was possible - I thought I didn't even have in my mind at the beginning of the day. At this point I even started passing people with pretty good regularity.

Somewhere after Mile 22, I found a candy station and grabbed a Jolly Rancher to take me home - those things are like crack! At Mile 23 I still had sub 3:35 in my mind, but I could tell that not only was I about to hit the wall, I knew I was about to become the wall! (It's funny, this is the exact same point I bonked at Disney). I slowed the pace from here and started having problems doing simple math in my head as to pace and finish time. Just after the Mile 24 water stop, the wheels came off the bus. I walked through the stop and sipped some Gatorade. At this time, I knew sub 3:35 was not happening. I GAVE IN and made my decision to slow up. Miles 24 - 25.5 had spurts of walking, with Mile 25 being at 9:10. When we turned onto the boardwalk I could see the finish (about 1/2 mile ahead?) and I was determined to run the entire way in (not fast, but run). As I neared the finished I heard the announcer call my name and I put my arms in the air for the finish photo.

Final Chip Time - 3:36:15. I'll take it! A PR by over 12 minutes.
What would you do differently?:

Don't know. Maybe not give in at Mile 24, but overall very happy with effort and results.
Post race
Warm down:

A good bit of walking around looking for my girls, who I never found. :(

It turns out I missed them by 5 minutes at the finish as I told them to look for me at a 3:45 finish. They got there 5 minutes after I finished and they were on the beach side, while I was looking on the boardwalk side. We never met up and I finally ended up walking back to my car to get my cell phone to call them.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Don't know.

Event comments:

Fun race. I will try to make this local race an annual tradition. I enjoy running a race along this route as it is where I do most of my long training run. Great volunteers along the course and great post party with beer and stew (although I missed the party as I was looking for my girls).

Last updated: 2006-01-27 12:00 AM
Running
03:36:15 | 26.2 miles | 08m 15s  min/mile
Age Group: 47/194
Overall: 319/1738
Performance: Good
Waiting for additional splits to be posted.
Course: South and North loop after start at 40th and boardwalk. Relatively flat and some wind (which aided that last 10k)
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2006-03-19 7:43 PM

User image

Master
Chesapeake, VA
Subject: Shamrock Sportsfest Marathon

2006-03-19 8:36 PM
in reply to: #373765

User image

Master
Virginia Beach, VA
Subject: RE: Shamrock Sportsfest Marathon
Great race!! Congrats on your PR, you had an awesome race. It was a great day out there!
2006-03-21 9:58 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Winnipegosis

Holy cow, man! 3:36?!? Way. To. Go!

Yet another PB smashed to pieces. You've definitely become a running machine. I loved the jolly rancher comment. I'll make sure to try one of those bad boys out on my next long run.

2006-03-24 6:25 AM

User image

Goodness Tony,

You are a machine.  An unbelievable pace.  Your improvement over the last year has been inspirational.  I am now thnking that when I finish the IM (hopefully this summer ) I will dediceat myself to taking some time of my Marathon time.  You have inspired me!  ANyways, great job and congratulations!!  Boston bound????

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Shamrock Sportsfest Marathon Rss Feed