General Discussion Race Reports! » SilverMan - Long Course World Championship Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

SilverMan - Long Course World Championship - TriathlonLong Course

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Henderson, Nevada
United States
45F / 7C
Sunny
Total Time = 7h 00m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 24/46
Pre-race routine:

I arrived in Las Vegas Thursday morning and waiting in the airport for my two e2 (tri teammates), Erika and Valerie, to arrive. We picked up our rented minivan (3 people, 3 bikes, and 3 times the gear) and then headed out. Race registration was exciting. We loved listening to the different accents from the athletes. We registered and walked around the expo (all outside) for a while. We arrived at the hotel, checked in, unpacked, and worked on assembling the bikes. The Trek 9.9 is not an easy bike to take apart or assemble. We managed except I had some brake issue. Thursday evening consisted of the team USA picture, athlete dinner, and athlete meeting. Thankfully, all of these events took place in the hotel. What an experience being around so many people from 28 different countries. The host hotel was amazing! I had been awake since 2:00AM Thursday morning, so I was REALLY tired. We went to sleep early that evening. Friday morning we had a nice breakfast and then had the bikes checked and the brakes on my bike fixed by the team USA bike mechanic. Valerie, Erika, and I went for a short run to transition 1 and then a short bike ride to test the bikes. We packed our gear bags and then biked the mile to transition to drop off our bikes and gear. We had a few hours of relaxation time at the hotel before going to dinner. Dinner was at a nice Italian place about 20 minutes from the hotel. We had another early bed time on Friday.

We were awake before the 4:30Am alarm on Saturday morning. We had plenty of time to eat breakfast of PB, bagels, and bananas and put on our tri tattoos. These are great! Way better than sharpie body marking. After taking pictures, we walked the mile to transition 1. The temperature was cold. We were almost at T1 when a few athletes started telling us that the swim was cancelled due to the extreme cold air and water temperature. It was around 40 degrees and the water temperature had dropped overnight due to the rain storm to in the low 50 degrees. We continued our way to T1, and then started hearing the race officials announce the change in the race. No swim, time trial bike start according to race number. We had over 2 hours to wait. I was so upset!! Although it was cold, I still wanted a swim. The swim is my best event and I wanted the opportunity to perform my best at this race. Oh well, being upset was not going to change the situation. We relaxed and waited in the heated transition tent to be called to line up. I saw a fellow BTer (TrishM). It was great seeing her!
Event warmup:

Stand in line shivering.
Swim
  • 00m
  • 4374 yards
  • / 100 yards
Comments:

Swim cancelled due to cold air and water temps at race start.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

No T1 due to swim cancelled
Bike
  • 4h 13m 21s
  • 74.56 miles
  • 17.66 mile/hr
Comments:

The race start was COLD. I decide to just wear arm warmers and compression socks with my tri kit. I lined up in order and waited until it was my turn to start. It was a slow start. I was cold, but the sun was out and once I started moving, I stopped shivering. The bike course was beautiful! It was by far the most gorgeous bike course I have ever been on. We biked through the Lake Mead National Park. Amazing views. The mountains, the clear blue lakes, the dessert, etc. I had to remind myself to race and now watch the view. This is a very challenging bike course. Roads were in great condition. The hills were tough, but the wind really made this race so challenging. I had to focus on taking in nutrition and not be blown off the road when I only had one hand on the bike. Around mile 60 we were done in the park and picked up a bike path. There were 3 short, but very steep climbs. I thought these were going to be worse than what they were. Lots of crowd support around these three climbs. I made it up the climbs fine, but then we stayed on this bike path for a while. This was brutal. A strong headwind and slow climb. I was pushing my pace and looked down to see that I was only averaging 14.5 mph. What?!?! The bike path finally dropped us off to the main road. This gave us a great view of the Vegas strip in the distance. This was an amazing bike course. I didn’t over push. I stayed well within my range. 120k done! The course was an out and back and then an out and back in a different direction and then an out to transition. The course was a “Y” shape.
Transition 2
  • 03m 34s
Comments:

A volunteer took my bike and I jogged into T2. A decent transition time. Nothing special. Port-a-potty stop.
Run
  • 2h 48m 31s
  • 18.64 miles
  • 09m 02s  min/mile
Comments:

The 30k run course was a “V” shape. It was an out and back and then an out and back the other direction. Both of these directions had to be repeated 4 times. Torture! My lungs and body felt great during the run. This was just not a fun course. The run was in town and around a busy (closed) road. Lots of athletes on the course and lots of spectators. This was a tough run course. Mentally repeating the course so many times was tough, but the course was also very hilly. I felt good and held a steady pace, but I had not been training on hills. I knew this was going to be a challenge. It was. I walked a few water stations and did stop at the 8.5 mile station for Vaseline, but other than that, I ran.
Post race
Warm down:

The finish line was nice. Lots of support at the finish to help remove timing chip, etc. The food tent was heated and had a nice variety of food. Erika, Valerie and I had some food and then gathered our bikes and gear. A shuttle bus took us back to the hotel.

Team USA party and all athlete dinner/awards ceremony was that evening. We attended both. The post-dinner food was great. Tons of food. This was a nice event and it gave us more time to socialize with the athletes from the other countries.

Event comments:

This was a great experience. I hope to be on the USA long course team again in the future. Hopefully the next time there will be a swim segment for the race. :-)

Last updated: 2010-10-14 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:00:00 | 4374 yards | / 100yards
Age Group: 0/46
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 55F / 13C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
04:13:21 | 74.56 miles | 17.66 mile/hr
Age Group: 13/46
Performance: Good
Wind: Headwind
Course:
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:34
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:48:31 | 18.64 miles | 09m 02s  min/mile
Age Group: 31/46
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2011-11-07 3:02 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: SilverMan - Long Course World Championship

2011-11-07 4:06 PM
in reply to: #3878462

User image

Expert
Alpharetta (until we find a home)
Subject: RE: SilverMan - Long Course World Championship

glad to hear swim cancellation didnt flip you too much - I have (crosses fingers) never had that happen to me yet. Did you feel , as a rough n tough Ohio gal , that it was dangerous cold or were the race directors from Florida?

2011-11-08 8:41 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
It was cold, but I wanted to swim.  It seemed most all the athletes were willing to take the risk.   ITU has a rule on air and water temp for safety.  The air and water temp Saturday morning were too cold. 
2011-11-08 8:47 AM

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State
CONGRATULATIONS!
2011-11-08 4:03 PM

User image

Expert
Congrats, Amy. Sounds tough, but beautiful!
2011-11-09 9:10 PM

User image

Master
Granvile, Ohio
Awesome work Amy!!!  Glad you didn't let what you couldn't control rattle you.  Sounds like a really tough race.  Congrats on the great finish!!

2011-11-17 8:13 AM

User image

Master
Canton, Michigan

To bad the weather didn't workout for you.  Had to be a big disappointment not to have a swim leg which is a very strong segment for you. 

Hope Silverman comes back so I can see the bike course someday.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » SilverMan - Long Course World Championship Rss Feed