General Discussion Triathlon Talk » The Old Road Bike vs. The Mountain Bike Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-04-17 6:46 PM

User image

Subject: The Old Road Bike vs. The Mountain Bike
Hello Everyone,

My name is Nicolas, I am 15 years old and want to starting training/doing triathlons. I do Martial Arts about 5-6 times a week, plus I have been running for a while (on a 10km program). I have lost about 30 lbs of fat in the last year, and I am enjoying my path to becoming an athlete.

Anyways, I have been lurking around this forum, as well as others for a while, and I decided to register, and post a few questions.

I have two possibilities of bikes to ride for now. One, my Dad's really old Sekine Road Bike or, my quite new Mountain Bike. I am not going to buy a new bike now, because, well one, it's a lot of money and I want to make sure I am committed, plus I will need some time to convince my parents.

Here are a few pictures of my Dad's Old Sekine Road Bike, not as glamorous as the new, expensive bikes.

Road Bike Pic #1
Road Bike Pic #2
Road Bike Pic #3

Here is a picture of the Mountain Bike I own:

Mountain Bike

My question is, which bike should I ride for training. I currently ride the Mountain Bike to school and for general commuting, but for training should I go with the Road Bike, or stick with the Mountain Bike? Also, which bike should I race with?

I haven't seen this question yet, but what do you think of a 15 year old wearing bike shorts, or tri shorts, or even jammers at the pool. Again, I am a young 15 year old, of you are catching my drift.

Thank You Everyone, and Have a Good Day,
Nicolas

2006-04-17 6:58 PM
in reply to: #398532

Master
Subject: RE: The Old Road Bike vs. The Mountain Bike

Well, I'm not quite 15 yrs old (I'm 16) I how I can answer some of those questions. I started training last july and my one and only race was last august.

The bulk of your training should be the one you are most comfortable on. Lets say its your mountain bike. Lets now say you wish to ride the road bike in the race, You would train on your dads road bike a fair amount before the race. Its also works vice-versa. Heck, it worked for me (I used my dads road bike prior to buying my own at the beginning of the month).

It doesn't matter about a kid wearing the spandex/lycra. I do it all the time, even when doing a casual ride. Its much more comforable, and you look like you know what you are doing.

Good Luck!

2006-04-17 7:20 PM

User image

Expert
Spokane, Washington
Hi Nicolas,
Welcome and way to go to get started at 15, and the same to (sorry, didn't get your name before replying) the HIM-in-training at 16! I'm...uh...considerably older, but wanted to chime in too! I second the opinion about training on whatever bike you'll be racing. Having ridden an older roadbike and seeing my hubby's new MTB, I know that the newer bikes perform a lot differently than the older ones - ride them both and see what you like. For what it's worth, I think it's a good idea to try a few tris before committing to a new bike. The MTB might be slower with the knobbies and the shocks (can you lock out the shocks or stiffen them up? Typically, stiffer bikes go faster) but I bet you won't be the only one on a MTB by a long shot if you go that route. As to the spandex - go for it! You will be a lot more comfortable and it's kind of the accepted attire for this stuff. In fact, I noticed a bunch of kids on the swim team from about 10 to about 16 wearing them. They make bike shorts with an outer short that look a lot like just plain shorts, but you wouldn't want to swim in them, and I think the outer shorts might bunch up and be uncomfortable even on the bike. The spandex will feel weird at first, but really, you'll get used to it and pretty soon you probably won't want to ride or swim in anything else.
Cheers!
Colleen
2006-04-17 7:31 PM

Elite
Livingston, MT
Clean up the old man's bike. Put the jammers on. Nobody cares what you ride or what you look like. Substance over style. I was one fat dude when I started and still have a little chub, doesn't stop me from putting on the jammers. Just do it.

2006-04-17 7:40 PM

User image

Expert
Spokane, Washington
Ok, gotta trot this one out....
My first tri last year there was a young guy (17 I think) who swam in some baggy knee-length cargo shorts with the pockets turned OUT, rode a rattly-bang old $25 bike from a garage sale, wore a helmet that I was just dying to adjust (some anal tendencies here) and totally kicked my @ss! Matt, if you're on here, way to go! That was in June. I saw him again in September with a new bike, a wetsuit and trishorts - and he still kicked my @ss! Only more so. I thought it was great at the time, and still laugh as I think about him riding by me on his way back with his pockets flapping in the wind! It's not about the equipment, it's all about the engine!
2006-04-18 6:01 AM

User image

Veteran
Jacksonville
You should practice on and race on the road bike. I have been practicing for my first tri this year on a pretty good mountain bike, but when I tried a road bike the difference in speed is amazing. You may want to take the road bike to a bike shop and see if they can look it over and do a little tune up. It probably wont be expensive and will make everything work smoother.

2006-04-18 6:20 AM

User image

Giver
If the road bike fits you, get it tuned up and ride it. That MTB probably ways close to 40 lbs and, because it's a department store bike, is built with cheap components and may or may not be adjusted/assembled correctly.
2006-04-18 6:21 AM

User image

Master
brummie land
does the road bike fit you? if so i'd go with that. if not get slicks for your mountain bike.

very impressed a 15 y.o. is training for a tri. good luck!
2006-04-18 7:52 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northern Virginia
welcome to the club. i wish i started at 15...

that road bike is awesome. if you can get it to fit you, ride the hell out of it while you save up some $ and figure out exactly what it is you want. the more you can ride that bike, the better idea you'll have as to what you like or don't like and how you want the bike to fit you.

also, age doesn't matter with spandex. all normal people are hesitant at first and eventually give in. do whatever you are comfortable with, but eventually you will realize the people without spandex are the wierd ones.

2006-04-18 10:02 AM

User image

Master
brummie land
cannot get the pics to work - can anybody save them for me and then reattach? would love to see the bike!
2006-04-18 2:44 PM

User image

Hello Everyone

Thank you for all the helpful replies. I am going to try to get the Road Bike tuned up and everything. I am not sure if it does fit me though...

Regarding spandex, to tell you the truth, I am actually looking forward to wearing the tri shorts, jammers, etc... but it is my parents who are going to be a little hesitant at first.

Also, does this list look right training items?
- Tune Up
- Bike Computer
- Cycling/Tri Shorts

Since I have a thread, I am just going to ask questions anyways.
Where do you people do your bike training? Do you go on roads, paths or what? Especially for your longer rides.

I am going to try to upload the picture for anyone who cannot see it.

Anymore answers, or tips, or concerns or anything are all really appreciated.

Thank You,

Nicolas

EDIT: Trying to upload pic

Edited by nicolascole 2006-04-18 2:46 PM

(bike8go.th.jpg)

(bike7az.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
bike8go.th.jpg (3KB - 29 downloads)
bike7az.jpg (44KB - 45 downloads)

2006-04-18 2:47 PM
in reply to: #399342

Master

nicolascole - 2006-04-18 3:44 PM Regarding spandex, to tell you the truth, I am actually looking forward to wearing the tri shorts, jammers, etc... but it is my parents who are going to be a little hesitant at first.

Don't worry. My step-dad though that I (and all other cyclist/runners whatever) was gay for weaing my bike shorts.

Goes to show you what parents know!

Preparing for incoming flak from moms and dads around BT...INCOMING!

2006-04-18 2:56 PM
in reply to: #399345

User image

jknapman - 2006-04-18 3:47 PM

nicolascole - 2006-04-18 3:44 PM Regarding spandex, to tell you the truth, I am actually looking forward to wearing the tri shorts, jammers, etc... but it is my parents who are going to be a little hesitant at first.

Don't worry. My step-dad though that I (and all other cyclist/runners whatever) was gay for weaing my bike shorts.

Yeah, I told my mom and dad that I wanted Tri Shorts, and my mom was like, you need to have a talk with your dad.

My mom, dad, sisters, all think it looks gay, so I play with their head a little. (JK) They are slowly coming around, but no way with the jammers. I am probably going to just go out and by them.

EDIT: Another questions: Where would I buy jammers? I have seen what seem to be, jammers at Walmart for $10, but I doubt they are any good. What about Sport Check, or would I have to go to a specialty store?

Edited by nicolascole 2006-04-18 3:23 PM
2006-04-18 3:23 PM
in reply to: #399345

User image

Master
brummie land
jknapman - 2006-04-18 8:47 PM

Preparing for incoming flak from moms and dads around BT...INCOMING!

exactly what we need - people using the term gay offensively - great! there's a fair few gay people on this forum so tbh i'd sort your comment out before it really really pisses me off.
2006-04-18 3:24 PM
in reply to: #399353

User image

Master
brummie land
nicolascole - 2006-04-18 8:56 PM

jknapman - 2006-04-18 3:47 PM

Yeah, I told my mom and dad that I wanted Tri Shorts, and my mom was like, you need to have a talk with your dad.

My mom, dad, sisters, all think it looks gay, so I play with their head a little. (JK) They are slowly coming around, but no way with the jammers. I am probably going to just go out and by them.

EDIT: Another questions: Where would I buy jammers? I have seen what seem to be, jammers at Walmart for $10, but I doubt they are any good. What about Sport Check, or would I have to go to a specialty store?

see my rpely to jknapman's post. i know you are both teenagers but using gay in an offensive manner is really annoying and offensive. please consider this before you use it again. actually - just don't use it again in a negative context ok? thanks
2006-04-18 3:26 PM

Master
I hope that I didn't offend. It didn't come out of my mouth. I'll edit that if still can, sorry.

2006-04-18 3:31 PM

User image

I am sorry aswell, I never meant it to offend, I was not using my head.

Again, I am very sorry, and I should not have said what I said, but I cannot edit it.

My actual meaning was that I do not think that it looks bad, quite the opposite, when I see someone training in spandex, lycra, or whatever, it shows that they know that they are doing. I am actually quite excited, as I have heard it is very comfortable.

Sorry if I offended anybody, it will not happen again,

Nicolas
2006-04-18 3:34 PM
in reply to: #399418

User image

Master
brummie land
i understand that you think they look good - i think we'd all agree. its just the use of the term gay to mean sometghing crap/sissy/girly/naff whatever. its offensive.

sorry if i was a bit harsh in my reply - tired and had a beer.

good luck with the short shopping. oh and if you want something to shock your parents with download mr tangerine speedo. guaranteed to make them think tri shorts are a good buy
2006-04-18 3:41 PM

User image

Crystal Lake, IL

I'm not the politically correct police, but I think you're good.  Your intended meaning is pretty obvious and people here don't jump to hysterics for no good reason.

BTW, the proper phrase for what you are describing is "dorky" not "gay".  Many of us take pride in our dorkiness.  In fact, you may have offended more dorks than gays with your comment, as us dorks feel unappreciated when we don't get credit for what we have worked so hard to achieve.   You may atone by putting 5 inspires in run4yrlife's logs as he is our king.  You must begin all inspires with "King dork,__________".

2006-04-18 4:08 PM

User image

Champion
Ottawa, Ontario

Nicholas, welcome aboard.  First off be prepared to have your peers make fun of you and call you names for wearing lycra.  You will have to develop thick skin over this.  Try discussing this issue with your parents.  Let them know that you would welcome their support on this.  Explain to them that wearing lycra has no effect on one's sexual orientation so that labelling is really just silliness.   

The Sekine looks to be in pretty good shape.  You might check out the brakes though, they look a bit rusty.  What size are you in relation to your dad.  If he is six feet tall and you are five foot two, then the bike will definitely not fit.  On the other hand, if you are approximately the same height, you might be able to fit the bike for yourself.  I would then recommend that you ride the Sekine for both, training and triathlons.    

Training/triathloning items:

-         bike fitting

-         tuneup

-         helmet

-         sunglasses

-         lycra shorts\top ( used my old 7Eleven cycling team outfit for my first season)

-         cycling shoes

-         goggles

-         running shoes (get a good pair of these)

-         watch

-         heart rate monitor

I do all  my training on the road.  Hey, I will be doing my triathlons on the road so I might as well train on it also!  I found a site where I can do laps around a 1kilometer block for speed training and the rest of my training is done along the open roads.  For my longer rides I like to bike out of city to various little towns or in the Gatineau Hills. 

Edited by Machiavelo 2006-04-18 4:13 PM
2006-04-18 6:40 PM
in reply to: #399457

User image

Machiavelo - 2006-04-18 5:08 PM

Nicholas, welcome aboard. First off be prepared to have your peers make fun of you and call you names for wearing lycra. You will have to develop thick skin over this. Try discussing this issue with your parents. Let them know that you would welcome their support on this. Explain to them that wearing lycra has no effect on one's sexual orientation so that labelling is really just silliness.

I actually just talked to my parents, are they support me wearing Lycra, which is good. I am hoping to keep it from school, for as long as possible, which should not be too hard. I kind of get the impression that they were joking, after talking to my mom, just now.

The Sekine looks to be in pretty good shape. You might check out the brakes though, they look a bit rusty. What size are you in relation to your dad. If he is six feet tall and you are five foot two, then the bike will definitely not fit. On the other hand, if you are approximately the same height, you might be able to fit the bike for yourself. I would then recommend that you ride the Sekine for both, training and triathlons.

Well I am about 5 feet and 8 inches, and my dad is three inches taller, so we are relatively close. I will bring it in to a bike shop sometime to get it looked at.

Training/triathloning items:

bike fitting

- tuneup

- helmet

- sunglasses

- lycra shorts\top ( used my old 7Eleven cycling team outfit for my first season)

- cycling shoes

- goggles

- running shoes (get a good pair of these)

- watch

- heart rate monitor

So far I already have:
-helmet
-sunglasses
-goggles
-running shoes (at Running Room)
-watch
-heart rate monitor

Thank for the post,

Nicolas

2006-04-19 8:38 AM
in reply to: #399342

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northern Virginia
cycling shorts, tri shorts, and jammers look similarly rediculous, but are 3 different things and depending on what events you are planning on doing you may end up wanting all 3.

cycling shorts have the thickest padding and you'll want to do all your your training in them. jammers have no padding and are used for swimming (i find these the least practical as they don't help on the bike and swimming in a regular bathing suit is a better workout with the additional drag). tri shorts are a combintation of the 2. they have low drag for the swim, but have a small fast drying pad so you don't have to change for the bike.

usually you can find good deals bike shorts and jammers (which is good because they will wear out with training), but tri shorts can get pricey. i only wear my tri shorts for races though, so they have lasted a few years.

check websites like www.performancebike.com, www.all3sports.com, www.trisports.com, etc. for closeouts.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » The Old Road Bike vs. The Mountain Bike Rss Feed