Get in Gear
53F / 12C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 05m 47s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

My wife was really nervous. She stretched most of the morning. We ate bananas & Marathon energy bars. Got to the VMAC at about 8:30am. Looked pretty crowded and we had an hour until the race, so we decided to look for a parking spot north of the start. Camped out in the van (heated and dry) for about 15 minutes, before venturing out to the pavillion (about 8:45).
Event warmup:

Didn't, other than trying to stay warm. Cold and rainy out, so hung out in the pavilion with other runners trying to stay out of the cold and wet. I called Denise about 9 (while I was waiting for a port-a-potty) and we met up with her and her boyfriend shortly after. Great people. Her bf swims and bikes, but doesn't run, so he didn't join us. We need to change that. Took pictures and chatted all the way up to about 5 min before the race. Took our spots toward the back of the chute since it was chip timed.
Run
  • 1h 05m 47s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 10m 35s  min/mile
Comments:

Paced my wife. She ran within 30 secs of our targeted for the 1st 3 miles. Her ankle started to hurt at mile 3, so we slowed it down, had her stretch out for a while. Took pics along the way. I would sprint up about 100 yds, wait for her to come by and snap a pic. She thought I looked pretty goofy. At mile 4 she was feeling better and started to increase the pace a little. All she needed was some conversation and a little encouragement and she was good to go. Mile 5 she wanted to pick it up, but I discouraged her a little, because we still had a 'hill' (on-ramp) coming up. As soon as we got on the bridge (about 5.5) she really picked it up. I had to work to keep up with her. She had a great time and loved the excitement of the race.
What would you do differently?:

Have her stretch out more right before the race.
Post race
Warm down:

Hugged and congratulated my wife. We were both cold and wet. Walked to pick up our gear bags, decided against waiting in line for food. Looked for Denise to come in at the finish. My wife was REALLY cold, so I decided we should probably get her into dry clothes (sorry Denise, we're glad W was waiting for you with an umbrella!). Got to the van, dressed (tinted windows) and called the kids.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing. Wouldn't have done it any other way. It was great to share this race with my wife.

Last updated: 2006-02-15 12:00 AM
Running
01:05:47 | 06.21 miles | 10m 35s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Course: Start at Minnehaha Park, ran north along the west side of the Mississippi, crossed the Lake Street Bridge, south along the east side of the Mississippi, across the Ford Parkway Bridge and finishing at Minnehaha Park.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-05-01 2:50 PM

User image

Pro
A farming town in MN
Subject: Get in Gear 10K

2006-05-01 3:58 PM
in reply to: #411416

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
Subject: RE: Get in Gear 10K
Way to get the wife hooked. Sounds like she did great! Races are always very motivational. Mine is hooked now, too. I'll have to convince her to try a 1/2 marathon next.
2006-05-01 11:21 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nashville TN
what a great great husband you are!!! that is soooo cool!! u are a good man!
2006-05-02 8:59 AM

User image

Master
Dayton, Minnesota
Bronze member
Very cool! Great job to you and your wife!
2006-05-05 9:56 AM

User image

Regular
Spring Hill, FL
Awesome Race Report, very supportive and unselfish husband you are. Hope many more race reports to come with the two of you crossing the line. No Easy button was needed on this run it sounds like. God's Speed!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Get in Gear 10K Rss Feed