General Discussion Race Reports! » North Face Endurance Challenge- San Francisco Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

North Face Endurance Challenge- San Francisco - RunUltra Marathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
San Francisco, California
United States
The North FaceĀ® Endurance Challenge
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = DNF/
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

I woke up at 2:45am to eat and get all my stuff ready, so we (Gary and I) could leave before 4:00am. The race start was at 5:00am. We didn't have any difficulty finding the race start parking area, since the only traffic at that time on a Saturday morning was other racers. We got parked and took the shuttle the mile or so to the start area.

Event warmup:

Once there, we huddled by the propane heaters, used the port-o-lets and waited for the race start. It was pitch dark so we were required to wear headlamps. I can't imagine trying to run on trails in the dark without one anyway. I positioned myself towards the back so as not to hold anyone up, and we were off!
Run
  • 00m
  • 50 miles
  •  min/mile
Comments:

I ran the first couple miles until I got to a steeper hill and then I power walked. I continued running on the downs and flats and power walking the ups. My pace was ranging from 11:40 mm to 17:00 mm... perfect pacing for me. Until mile 12... that's when the 50k racers, who started about 2 hours after us, began passing me. It wasn't a problem on the wider trail, but a few miles later we were on single track. I kept moving off the trail to let people go by, because I didn't want to slow anyone down. Sometimes I even stopped off trail to let large groups go by. When I looked at my splits later, I could see how much this affected my time.

Around mile 13 there was a steep rocky single track section of trail. I thought, "Perfect! Some downhill to make up a bit of time. I'll just keep up with the 50k girl in front of me, so I don't have to keep pulling off trail and letting people pass." In that instant, I felt my toe catch and I was flying towards the ground. I hit my hands, elbow, shoulder, and knee. Don't ask me how I managed to hit so many parts, lol. I ended up in the grass off the side of the trail and a couple runners asked if I was OK. I tried to move things a bit, waiting for the pain, but everything felt relatively OK... sore, skinned, and bruised, but no intense pain. I told them, "Yea, I'm OK." They made sure I got up, which I did. Had I been really injured I know they would have helped me out. Runners are cool like that.

I continued on, a little more cautiously, and let hordes more racers pass. I thought I was still doing OK on time. Apparently my calculations were off, because when I got to Cardiac Aid Station I was told that I was about 10 minutes behind the cut off pace. If I wanted to make it I needed to pick up the pace. So, I headed out immediately. I tried to take a sip of my hydration pack about .2 of a mile from the aid station and got nothing. My pack was completely empty. I definitely didn't have time to go back, so I pushed on with no hydration. It was only 4.8 miles to the next aid station, so I knew I'd be OK, but I was thirsty.

I tried to push on the uphills, but I ended up walking. I ran the downs. I was getting more doubtful by the minute that I could actually make the cut off. I made up a little bit of time, but not enough. When I was coming up the last hill into the Mckinnon Gulch aid station, runners who were returning from the turn around were coming down and it was a very narrow trail. I kept moving over and nearly stopping to let them pass. When I got within about .5 mile of the aid station, I had a few people tell me, "No... go... go... don't stop." I think they knew I was coming up against the cut off time.

I knew for sure I didn't make it when I saw the same guy that told me I was 10 minutes behind at the Cardiac Aid Station coming down the trail with his radio to follow the last runner who had made it. I shrugged my shoulders at him, and he said, "Well, you tried. You gave it your best." I said, "Yea, thanks. I'm alright." It was the only time I got a little choked up, but I also knew it was the truth. I was alright. I had tried, and I would do it another day. Really, I was grateful just to be able to attempt a race like this

A couple minutes later I got to the 23 mile aid station. I jokingly pointed at the U-haul sitting there and asked if that was my ride, with a smile. I didn't want to make them tell me I didn't make it or feel bad for me, because I can imagine how hard it must be to cut people off, especially when you don't have any say in it. Turns out the U-haul was my ride, ha! There were two of us who had missed this cut-off. Funny thing is... we both thought when the driver first told us to get in, while we were standing behind the truck, that he meant in the back. We were happy we got to ride in the cab.

I got to hang out down at the Cardiac Aid Station for awhile, while we were waiting for another ride back to the finish area. It was really cool watching people come in and seeing how awesome the volunteers were with them. One guy came in and was thanking one of the volunteers profusely for helping him get rid of a cramp in his hamstring and talking him out of quitting when he wanted to. Another guy came in and when asked what he wanted said, "All I need is a hug, a high five, and a beer." The volunteer immediately gave him a hug, a girl standing next to him gave him a high five, and they told him he needed to go to the finish line for his beer. So awesome! It made me want to volunteer at one of these events. I'm going to put that on the schedule for next year for sure!
What would you do differently?:

Train longer than 11 weeks for this race, and train on more trails and hills. Lose at least 25 lbs
Post race
Warm down:

After I got back to the finish area. I relaxed on the grass for awhile. I found a great spot to cheer on the finishers where I could see them coming down the road and let them know they were almost home. I cheered finishers on for hours and had an amazing time being a small part of their day. I thought Gary would be in around 5:00pm, but he wasn't. Once 6:00pm rolled around I was getting a little nervous and thought he must be having a rough day. 6:30pm rolled around, and I was really concerned and also FREEZING. All I had was my run clothes, because he usually finishes long before me. I didn't have the car keys or any warm clothes. After the sun went down it was COLD.

I finally left my post to go stand by a heater. Just a couple minutes after I got down there Gary tapped me on the shoulder. I said, "Hey, how'd you get past me? When did you finish?" That's when I found out that he didn't finish. He had been back in the finish area since 4:00pm, but couldn't find me. He had hurt his knee and had to drop at the 39 mile station. We hobbled back to the shuttle and went home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Even though the day did not include crossing the finish line, like I really wish it had, I had a fantastic day with some really amazing people. There were some things that cost me a bit of time, but my take away is... if I wasn't already cutting it so close on making the cut-offs all that other stuff wouldn't have mattered. I will be back to race this one again, and I have a renewed focus to get fitter and faster. Bring on 2012!

Event comments:

North Face put on a very well organized event. The course was well marked, there was many different distances and a kid's race. They really had something for everyone. I would definitely do this or another one of their events again.

Last updated: 2011-08-29 12:00 AM
Running
00:00:00 | 50 miles |  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Finished 23.65 miles in 6:19
Course: 50 miles through the Marin Headlands on dirt fire road and trails. 10,700' of climbing.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2011-12-09 4:39 PM

User image

Master
Silverton, Oregon
Subject: North Face Endurance Challenge- San Francisco

2011-12-09 5:32 PM
in reply to: #3932955

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan
Subject: RE: North Face Endurance Challenge- San Francisco
Thanks - great RR Roni.  Sounds like a really tough course.  I look forward to seeing next year's RR.
2011-12-09 5:42 PM

User image

Champion
marietta
you should stop taking trail running lessons from julia.  then you won't fall down any more.   sucks about the cutoff but i love your attitude about it all.  hit it again next year!
2011-12-10 9:52 AM

User image

Veteran
Yorktown, VA & Langley AFB

Still cringe when I read about you falling down a rocky hill... YIKES!  Your attitude is AWESOME and infectious!!

Nice RR thanks for sharing!

2011-12-10 10:11 AM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

You  gutted out a good bit of that tough course.  Wow!

Hats off for attempting such a tough run.

2011-12-10 5:27 PM
in reply to: #3932999

User image

fattyfatfat - 2011-12-09 6:42 PM you should stop taking trail running lessons from julia.  then you won't fall down any more.   sucks about the cutoff but i love your attitude about it all.  hit it again next year!

x2

2011-12-10 5:29 PM
in reply to: #3933680

User image

Ha! That's not really my comment. Great RR, Roni! Your positive attitude shines through. I love that you spent the afternoon cheering in the other runners. Come run the Huff next year - I'll run the first loop and then cheer for you while you run the whole thing! No 50k for me!
2011-12-11 12:43 PM

User image

Master
Almaden Valley, San Jose, California

Nice rr......looks like we have the same running style - fall and tumble!!

Loved your attitude, I'd be crying, I'm sure.

2011-12-11 7:35 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
NW Georgia
Great race, Roni!  Tough break on the time cutoff, but you'll crush it next year!
2011-12-12 9:13 PM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
You are like the energizer bunny moving from one marathon/ultra to another.  Your attitude about the race is great and I have no doubt if you decide to go back next year you will cross that finish line!!!  Can't wait to see what's next for you.
2011-12-13 1:38 PM

User image

Expert
Ann Arbor, MI
Congratulations on taking on another insanely tough challenge and rolling with everything the day brought. No doubt you are going to finish this race and other 50+ mile courses in the future, inspiring tons of folks along the way.

2011-12-19 2:40 PM

User image

Melon Presser

You are so incredibly awesome for giving this crazy tough (and that's an understatement) race a super shot.

I will tuck this away for myself ... it's likely what's going to happen in IM for me, but what the heck ... I want to be happy training how I can, and since it's done and paid for, why not go and have as much fun as I can on the course 'til they yank me off?

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » North Face Endurance Challenge- San Francisco Rss Feed