General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman 70.3 Boise : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 22

2012-06-04 10:59 AM
in reply to: #4241739

User image

Elite
Utah
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Boise : Official Thread
rbhancock1 - 2012-06-03 12:10 PM

geauxtri and emclain -- You guys are awesome. 

Went for a quick dip at the site today.  Temp report appears below.  Come on in, the water's fine!  It was pretty choppy at 9:00 a.m., but by 11:00 it had settled down. 

uh... I wouldn't go that far... but we are kind of cool

THANK YOU for the temp report!!!  58, I've swam in that for practices, I can deal w/ it.
Now let's just pray it doesn't rain too much to cool it off beforehand :/

2012-06-04 11:46 AM
in reply to: #3940536

User image

Veteran
Denver area

I'm just so amazed at the number of people reaching out to me.  My cousin ended up finding a relay runner for me (unknown to me... he wanted to suprise me).  But thanks Liz for your generous offer.

I will be hanging around the finish area in my SunRype kit and a boot on my left foot.

Now I just have to figure out how to safely get from the swim exit to my bike.  I think I'll stash a cushy running shoe at the swim exit.  There's usually some sort of table there for eyeglasses - I'd think a shoe would be ok.  I really can't risk impact on concrete, even if its only for a few hundred yards.

2012-06-04 3:03 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Looking at the weather things could be awesome... I'm a big fan of mid-60's for any event. It will be a little chilly coming out of the water, but the bike and run would be perfect. Much less of an issue in terms of overheating. Fingers crossed things continue like this. Anywhere from 60-75 degrees would be ideal for me.
2012-06-04 3:16 PM
in reply to: #4243923

User image

Regular

PeteDin206 - 2012-06-04 1:03 PM Looking at the weather things could be awesome... I'm a big fan of mid-60's for any event. It will be a little chilly coming out of the water, but the bike and run would be perfect. Much less of an issue in terms of overheating. Fingers crossed things continue like this. Anywhere from 60-75 degrees would be ideal for me.

I think about 70 would be ideal or maybe mid 60s.  Just higher than 60 would be nice.

2012-06-04 3:24 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
I don't see anything indicating that temps would go beyond 80 so anything below that is fine with me.  Now the wind on the other hand will be the key factor to hitting my goal.  Wind could add another two to four minutes in the water for me if it gets choppy and who knows on the bike.
2012-06-04 3:30 PM
in reply to: #4243983

New user
Portland

popsracer - 2012-06-04 1:24 PM I don't see anything indicating that temps would go beyond 80 so anything below that is fine with me.  Now the wind on the other hand will be the key factor to hitting my goal.  Wind could add another two to four minutes in the water for me if it gets choppy and who knows on the bike.

I'm with you on the wind. Temps I'm ok with, but crossing my fingers the winds are much less than forecasted as of now. 

2012-06-04 4:21 PM

User image

Veteran
Morgan Hill, California
Yes, if the winds can be lower than that, ideal.  Or, somehow out of the east, so its a tail wind most of the way!
2012-06-04 4:48 PM
in reply to: #4244140

User image

Regular

kmac1346 - 2012-06-04 2:21 PM Yes, if the winds can be lower than that, ideal.  Or, somehow out of the east, so its a tail wind most of the way!

Wind out of the east? I guess I can see your point there but I guess I would rather battle the wind on my way out while fresher than on the way back but then going on Warm springs you are travelling what NW at that point so you would have a cross wind. 

Let's just hope there isn't wind unless it is from like 1-2 and the wind is pushing us up the long hill at the beginning of the race

2012-06-04 5:08 PM

Boulder County, CO

Hi Everyone - Great to read all the posts about the Boise race.  So excited ... my third time doing this race.  It's great fun!  Looking forward to warmer water temps.

Just an FYI for those of you coming in from out of town.  There is an awesome triathlon store in Boise called Tri Town.  If you forget something or just need to pick up new gear, need something adjusted on your bike, whatever, these guys are great!  They're located in the North End near Hyde Park.  Stop by and check it out.

Good luck everyone!  Have a great race!

2012-06-04 5:24 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Hi everyone,

Well, I'm not sure I can do race now. I have come down with the plague, since Sat. nite, un-freaking-believable, ughhh! I have a massively painful sore throat with all kinds of ugly in it and it has zapped me of any energy, I had a pathetic workout yesterday, in hindsight probably should have just stayed in bed but this morning was definatlely a reality check. I got checked for strep in hopes I can knock it down with antibiotics but the culture came back negative, great. So I'm downing all things good for me in some kind of hope of still doing the race. If I can't I will be a big girl and cheer you guys and all the Aeros in my club on...think I'll need some beer medication for that but I can do it.

Patsy

2012-06-04 5:58 PM
in reply to: #4244287

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
PatsyID - 2012-06-04 3:24 PM

Hi everyone,

Well, I'm not sure I can do race now. I have come down with the plague, since Sat. nite, un-freaking-believable, ughhh! I have a massively painful sore throat with all kinds of ugly in it and it has zapped me of any energy, I had a pathetic workout yesterday, in hindsight probably should have just stayed in bed but this morning was definatlely a reality check. I got checked for strep in hopes I can knock it down with antibiotics but the culture came back negative, great. So I'm downing all things good for me in some kind of hope of still doing the race. If I can't I will be a big girl and cheer you guys and all the Aeros in my club on...think I'll need some beer medication for that but I can do it.

Patsy

How were things before you got sick?  If you were ready before getting sick than a week off before the race is not neccesarily a show stopper.  I was very sick the week leading up to an HIM a few years ago and the forced rest I think actually did me some good.  You might want to wait and see how you feel towards the end of the week. 

2012-06-04 6:25 PM

User image

Elite
Utah
PatsyID - 2012-06-04 4:24 PM

Hi everyone,

Patsy

Sending you positive healing vibes!!!  (If it helps, I thought I was dying the week leading to my half marathon in March.  I sucked it up and took 2 Acetaminophen on my way out the door w/ a prayer in mind and heart.  Yeah, I knocked a few minutes off that day and the headwind was nearly unbearable!)

Drink lots of tea

btw... did you decide on Echo in July?

2012-06-04 6:37 PM

New user
Portland

I hope you feel better!  It's amazing how much rest can really help.. Don't give up just yet.

2012-06-04 6:51 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Hi guys,

Thanks for your thoughts, that does give me hope. I do want to do the race and if I can I will, it sucks being so type A though b/c I had some high goals this go around and I need to recalculate but would hate to go backwards and go slower than last year but seriously, it's kind of funny thinking that out loud b/c just finishing the race at this point would be a miracle, ug. Think I just wrote a major run on sentence, sorry. Did a whole lot of nothing today, living on chicken soup though and will get some good stuff at Costco tomorrow...my pharmasist (sp) relative said there's something in it that has healing powers so I've added that to my  regimine. Oh btw, gargling with apple cider vinegar with a sore throat is excruciatingly painful but my brother swears by it so I'm doing it 2-3x/day to see if it helps.

Heather, regarding your question, yes I have decided to do the Echo Tri, I'm trying to get a couple of my training buddies to go with me, hate to go by myself but will if I have to. Maybe we can meet up there?

I'll pray for good weather and a safe race for you all!

Patsy

2012-06-04 11:53 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Well it looks like I'm going to be a bit late getting into Boise now. I was trying to leave early Thursday and get in around 3, but my brother had a big proposal come up at work which starts at noon so I'll be leaving Seattle at 1:15 (arriving around 8:30pm) Thursday night. Not the end of the world but far from ideal. He is going to try and change it to Wednesday but I'm not counting on it. I guess I'll have to wait until Friday to get a swim in.
2012-06-05 2:38 AM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

I give up trying to sleep tonight.  Instead of counting sheep, I've been running the race in my mind over and over again.  I think I got my transitions down.

After taking yesterday off, I just ran an easy 30 minutes today.  Its been rainy or I would have gone for a short ride.  If it rains tomorrow I'll just do 30 minutes on the trainer and maybe a 20 minute swim.  I sure feel sore tonight.  It's why I hate taking days off.  Seems to tighten me up and get stiff if I don't keep moving.

I've just about got all my gear together.  Just got to pick up some gel flasks and a bottle of apple-cinnamon.

Looks like weather forecasts are getting cooler with 66 high and a bit breazy out of the west.  Chance of a thunderstorm.  Really hope to not see a repeat of 2009.

2012-06-05 8:08 AM

User image

Patsy -- I'm so sorry, and I can just feel your frustration.  I do hope you're able to participate. 

Pete -- Ack.  The best laid plans.  Travel safe.

popsracer -- I'm with you re no sleep.  Apparently no exercise yesterday was an unwelcome shock to the biorhythms.  Glad to have a little something on today's schedule.

Severe weather in Boise early last evening.  50 MPH winds, downed trees and loss of power.  Looks like Saturday proves to be cool and windy.  May not even be 50 degrees when we arrive at the swim site.  Thinking I'll likely just put on my wetsuit then for warmth.  Keeps any sun off you, too. 

2012-06-05 8:53 AM
in reply to: #4244496

User image

Elite
Utah
PatsyID - 2012-06-04 5:51 PM

Hi guys,

Thanks for your thoughts, that does give me hope. I do want to do the race and if I can I will, it sucks being so type A though b/c I had some high goals this go around and I need to recalculate but would hate to go backwards and go slower than last year but seriously, it's kind of funny thinking that out loud b/c just finishing the race at this point would be a miracle, ug. Think I just wrote a major run on sentence, sorry. Did a whole lot of nothing today, living on chicken soup though and will get some good stuff at Costco tomorrow...my pharmasist (sp) relative said there's something in it that has healing powers so I've added that to my  regimine. Oh btw, gargling with apple cider vinegar with a sore throat is excruciatingly painful but my brother swears by it so I'm doing it 2-3x/day to see if it helps.

Heather, regarding your question, yes I have decided to do the Echo Tri, I'm trying to get a couple of my training buddies to go with me, hate to go by myself but will if I have to. Maybe we can meet up there?

I'll pray for good weather and a safe race for you all!

Patsy

You mean ALL OF US!!!
2012-06-05 8:55 AM

User image

Elite
Utah

Well, I got my neoprene cap in the mail yesterday.
UGH!!!  The strap presses on my gullet so that I feel nauseated and want to puke.

I'm going to get in the pool tomorrow and play with the strap (ie put it on my head w/ cap over to see if it holds)
Any other suggestions on getting around this issue are welcome!!!  PLEASE!!!

Yes, I said "gullet", if you don't understand look to my icon par left
(btw... if you see a green subaru in Boise w/ fresh "new" LSU stickers, yes that's me... lol! )

Edited by geauxtri 2012-06-05 8:57 AM
2012-06-05 10:37 AM

New user
Portland

I have a couple friends that did Boise in 09; 1 was pulled due to hypothermia, and the 2nd said he'd never been so cold in his life.  This has me a little worried about the weather dropping add the wind and my nerves are fried.  Here's hoping that the times I forced myself to ride outside in the cold wet NW winter will pay off.

Pete, I'm in the same boat with not being able to leave until afternoon on Thursday.  I told my boss I'd come in for a few hours that morning, hopefully work will distract me from bouncing off the walls a that point.

I've been going over transitions and how to counter act walls in any of the events.  I'm just ready to head to Boise these last few days are so nerve racking, nothing you can do but think.

I went for a run last night after work (thank goodness I beat the furry of rain Portland got hit with).  I didn't run this weekend so I went out for 5 miles or so, man was I stiff.  Now I'm rethinking the next few days to keep loose.  20 minute swim this AM and think I'll try to get out and just try to spin my legs for a bit Wednesday.

Here's hoping the next couple days at work cruise by.  I hope everyone is able to catch some good sleep in the next few days.

2012-06-05 11:30 AM
in reply to: #4245360

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chelsea, MI
geauxtri - 2012-06-05 9:55 AM

Well, I got my neoprene cap in the mail yesterday.
UGH!!!  The strap presses on my gullet so that I feel nauseated and want to puke.

I'm going to get in the pool tomorrow and play with the strap (ie put it on my head w/ cap over to see if it holds)
Any other suggestions on getting around this issue are welcome!!!  PLEASE!!!

What size did you get?  I know I had to get a large and it helped a lot with this issue.  I have a hat size of 7 when I buy ball caps so I thought I would wear a smaller size.  It initially the small seemed to fit over my head, but that strap was killing me and my swim.  I went and bought a large and everything was better.  I know that doesn't help much if you had to have it shipped in. 

Edited by maverickbassets 2012-06-05 11:32 AM

2012-06-05 11:33 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
The two weather sites I trust most suggest we "should" be ok. It might be a little chilly, but better than crazy hot. The wind may also pick up a towards the end of the bike (10mph WNW at noon up to 15mph WNW at 6pm according to Wunderground) May make it tough for many to PR as the end of the bike will be directly into the wind, but we will see. I just want a good race since this is my first and is automatically a PR.

http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/Boise+ID+USID0025:1:US

http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/getForecast?query=z...
2012-06-05 12:08 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chelsea, MI

I'm with Pete on this one.  It's my first so a finish is a PR.  I can't control weather so screw it. 

Driving west today.  I'll be in Boise Friday morning.  Have a great weekeveryone.  Myabe I'll see you at the Pie hole after the race. 

Chris

2012-06-05 12:32 PM

User image

Raining like crap here in Seattle.

Hoping for better weather in Boise.
Report looks like it is starting to cool down for Saturday?

Swam in Lake Washington yesterday and it was choppy - hopefully the winds will be calm Saturday.

Just about locked and loaded - swam this morning and will probably hit the trainer a bit tonight.
Run tomorrow and then shut down until Friday

Rolling out of Seattle at 9AM for Boise on Thursday!

2012-06-05 1:37 PM

User image

Elite
Utah

I swam and ran yesterday.  Unfortunately, we miscalculated the moon rise and it was a DARK run on teh trails. :/

Today I'm taking it easy getting the say started w/ a massage and some sushi... YUM!!!

Suppose at some point I should actually start working here

As for that swim cap... it's not really tight at all under my neck, any looser and it might fall off   I'm just not comfortable w/ something on my jawline/neck like that.  We shall see what I can "jerry-rig" in the pool tomorrow.

New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman 70.3 Boise : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 22