General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Nutrition for long bike rides / 1/2 IM Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-05-02 4:16 PM

User image

Veteran
Chicago and therabouts
Subject: Nutrition for long bike rides / 1/2 IM

Im learning that gatorade (too sweet), cliff bars (too dry) don't do it for me on the long rides; especially if im still on the go. Im decided to bite the bullet, spend some money on different powders/drinks to combine hydration/calories/electrolytes and start experimenting on my tolerance (taste, calories ingest/hr).  I have a 1/2 IM in late July.Any suggestions on particular energy drinks/powders  are welcome...Thanks.

JT

2006-05-02 4:25 PM
in reply to: #412725

User image

Master
South of SLC
Subject: RE: Nutrition for long bike rides / 1/2 IM
JT,

This is a topic I love -- I did a 1/2 IM last summer and I loved the distance. There are a ton of resources on the web regarding nutritition in Olympic and above races. I found it took a ton of fine tuning until I got nutrition down for long rides (75 or more miles). What worked for me may not work for you...

Here are a couple of the best resources I have read on the topic:

http://www.slowtwitch.com/mainheadings/coachcorn/racefuel.html
http://www.byrn.org/gtips/gtips.htm

Ron, I don't mean to pull anyone out of your site. Sorry man.

What worked for me was a ten minute cycle. I would start off will at least five swallows (about five ounces) of a mix of Gatorade, Gu20, and Nuun. I would also take one salt tablet, which for me was Enduralytes. Ten minutes later I would take in two ounces of gel from a flask. I would also take in at least five ounces of water at the same time. Ten minutes later I would drink as much water as I want. I go a little overboard, but I would go on most of my long rides unsupported, so I would carry at least two water bottles and one bottle with the Gatoraide mix in it. I would also carry PowerBar Bites in my Bento box that I would eat at least once an hour because I prefer solid food. The Enduralytes keep my hungry.

Other people may tell you something else which will be equally as valid. Good luck finding what works for you.

Mike

Edited by Rollin' Thunder 2006-05-02 4:30 PM
2006-05-02 4:28 PM

User image

Master
Cambridge, MA

Another curious reader here...my 1/2 IM is coming in Aug. 

My nutrition on past 50+ mile rides has been a mix of raspberry Gu20, water, and good ol' Power Bars in the cinn/raisin flavor.  Occasional pretzels in a baggie for salt or candy corns in the jersey pockets, just for fun.  

But honestly, I am not sure what I'll want to eat during my 70.3

Just a 100-150 cals/hr is my goal right now, till I hear otherwise.

2006-05-02 4:37 PM

User image

Master
New Jersey
yeah I agree with previous post - it's really your personal preference and you do have to experiment.

For me, and my first Half IM this weekend, I'll be starting my bike ride with a bottle of water and a bottle of Cytomax with Carbo-Pro mixed in. That Carbo Pro is great - you can put in 200 calories and it doesn't change the consistency of your sportsdrink at all. I'll also have some gels / Mojo bars (less sweet than everything else) / and possibly Smuckers' Uncrustables. This was a great tip I picked up for doing long rides. Just stick a frozen Uncrustable in your pocket and it thaws out perfectly for when it's time to eat. And they sure taste good and go down easily.
Once my first bottle is gone, I'll just stick with the Gatorade and water that they hand out.

2006-05-02 4:40 PM
in reply to: #412749

User image

Master
New Jersey
SunnyS - 2006-05-02 4:28 PM

p>Just a 100-150 cals/hr is my goal right now, till I hear otherwise.

Definitely too little!
You should take in about 1500 calories for the whole race. About 300 per hour. Or, another way - 2 calories per hour per pound that you weigh. So if you were 150 lbs, then 2 calories x 150 lbs = 300 calories per hour.
2006-05-02 4:52 PM

Elite
Livingston, MT
Use what they are serving at the race. No point carrying your nutrition throughout the entire race. The weight can really add up. I used to use Cytomax, but I've gone back to gatorade and I notice no change either way. Gu and Gatorade. mmmmm

2006-05-02 5:23 PM
in reply to: #412741

Veteran
Stoughton, Wisconsin
Rollin' Thunder - 2006-05-02 4:25 PM

JT,

This is a topic I love -- I did a 1/2 IM last summer and I loved the distance. There are a ton of resources on the web regarding nutritition in Olympic and above races. I found it took a ton of fine tuning until I got nutrition down for long rides (75 or more miles). What worked for me may not work for you...

Here are a couple of the best resources I have read on the topic:

http://www.slowtwitch.com/mainheadings/coachcorn/racefuel.html
http://www.byrn.org/gtips/gtips.htm

Ron, I don't mean to pull anyone out of your site. Sorry man.

What worked for me was a ten minute cycle. I would start off will at least five swallows (about five ounces) of a mix of Gatorade, Gu20, and Nuun. I would also take one salt tablet, which for me was Enduralytes. Ten minutes later I would take in two ounces of gel from a flask. I would also take in at least five ounces of water at the same time. Ten minutes later I would drink as much water as I want. I go a little overboard, but I would go on most of my long rides unsupported, so I would carry at least two water bottles and one bottle with the Gatoraide mix in it. I would also carry PowerBar Bites in my Bento box that I would eat at least once an hour because I prefer solid food. The Enduralytes keep my hungry.

Other people may tell you something else which will be equally as valid. Good luck finding what works for you.

Mike

Just so i understand when you talk about taking Gu from the flask, this is straight gu and not mixed with water - correct?
2006-05-02 5:46 PM
in reply to: #412806

User image

Master
South of SLC
Yendor,

That is right. I don't dilute, but some people do. I actually used Hammer Gel too. Both work well for me.

I actually try and get about 400 calories per hour. Any more than that and I start to get sick. You need to monitor how many you can tolerate each hour so you can plan accordingly.

Mike

Edited by Rollin' Thunder 2006-05-02 5:47 PM
2006-05-02 6:34 PM

User image

Tulsa, Oklahoma
For 1/2IM distance I have water and GU20 on my bike - I use some type of energy gel at least one an hour and wash it down with water. I keep extra nutrition in a bento box on my top tube...have accidently dropped stuff from my trisuit before - and don't want to be without anything. Usually bring some kind of bar (power bar-hammer-cliff) and try to eat a little of that. It is difficult for me to consume the "recommended" amount - I really have to work on it. I have recently started using "hammer nutrition - sustained energy" during my long rides to see if I have different results. It's all about experiementing with different amounts and products. Everyone's stomach handles nutrition products differently ~ start slowly with different products ~ don't add a bunch of new things at once ~ change up one at a time and see how you do. It's good that you are looking into this now - want to have a routine established before your race....

2006-05-02 7:16 PM

User image

Expert
Iowa

I too shoot for about 400 calories per hour, using Hammer products exclusively. I use Sustained Energy and Hammer Gel on longer rides and HIMs. For me, solids are just too much to contend with (chewing, swallowing, breathing) if you're trying to maintain a pace, and they don't digest as easily as liquids. It's true that you have to find what works for you, and possibly even learn to adapt your taste buds. I will say this: race like you train and start now. Don't mix bars with liquids on a training ride just because you can, and then try to go all bars or all liquids during a race. Race like you train, and train like you race. And don't worry that you need bars on a HIM becasue you'll be hungry. As quickly as the feeling of hunger hits you, it will go away. Hammer also makes a great little plastic bottle and holder that straps to your top tube and holds about 6 servings of gel. It's so much easier than opening a pack and squeezing it out, and there is no wrapper to contend with. Good luck!

2006-05-02 7:19 PM

Veteran
Chula Vista, Ca

I have been using Accelerade for my long bikes.  I have two bottles which I mix 3 scoops per bottle which gives me like 330 per bottle.  I have gotten pretty good in getting each bottle down in a hour.  I then supplement the rest of my calories with gu's, snicker marathon bars and I am thinking of packing trail mix with mm's.  I pretty much have a strong stomach so solids don't bother me too much.  Gatorade Endurance is the drink of the Baja 70.3 so I have been using it but I really don't like the fact its on 200 calories per bottle.  My goal is 450-500 calories per hour.  I am a big boy and plan on having a buffet on the bike.

The one thing I have learned over the last few months is that nutrition makes things alot more fun.  Horrible feeling when  your 25 miles out from the bike finish and your running out of gas due to lack of calories.  I did that on a bike ride and I can imagine that running a half marathon at that point would have been tough.

2006-05-02 8:43 PM

User image

Master
Denver
I'm also planning on taking a bottle of accelerade with me. My last ride I went with accelerade at the 1st 1/2 hour and then a gel every next 1/2 hour. It good to experiment because I found that by the 3rd gu I was sick of the taste and the stickiness and the mess trying to open them. Although I do like the gel-bottle idea, I'll have to keep my out for those. I recently found out about the Clif Shot Blocks so I'm going to see if I can try & incorporate them since that is just the kind of thing I like anyway. I know for me it will be a struggle to get myself to eat enough. It sounds kind of stange but its something I can't practice enough.
2006-05-02 9:21 PM

User image

Veteran
Chicago and therabouts

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and input.  For those of you more seasoned in this... the concept of having different  timing intervals for (fluid +/- carbs), gels, electrolye replacement while focusing on the ride/race road, trying to keep pace/cadence and get in a groove...this is a bit overwhelming.  I guess it is just practice and more practice.  So far i have heard of cytomax and accelerade...any other suggestions for fluid/carb mixture.

Thanks again everyone.

JT

2006-05-02 10:52 PM

User image

Veteran
Perth, Oz

My first Half is in 3 more sleeps,  very exciting,  so I've been experimenting with different drinks and gels and food for longer bike rides in the last 4 months.  I struggle to digest some types so this is what works for me.

the advice about finding out what is provided at yoru race is great too.  I found what works for me but then also found there was a different product on the race course so have learnt to tolerate that and now found that I quite like it.

I either use hammer powdered drinks.  Heed or perpetuem (I think thats what they are called)  and Hammer gels in a little flask.  And have worked out what I need to keep me going.  which pretty closely follows the 250 - 300 calories an hour.

for my race they have Carboshotz drinks and gels (not sure if thats an aussie product or not)  which isn't as easy to stomach for me as Hammer stuff but still does the trick now that I'm sued to it.

I have also found that gels and drinks get realy sweet after long rides so I always pack a pria powerbar and lollies in my bento box just in case I need something solid to eat.

But like everyone has said you need to experiment with a few diff things and find out what works best for you    Good luck and have fun eating/drinking

2006-05-03 8:24 AM
in reply to: #412770

User image

Elite
New City, New York
I've started using these and they are BY FAR my favorite solid to eat on the bike. Just tried a FIG Newton - Uggh, way to dry. I'm sticking to Uncrustables. Otherwise it's Gatorade Endurance and Carboom Gels cuz that's what they are giving out at my HIM. I like the idea of starting w/ the stuff the they'll be giving out first. If that doesn't work than go to your own mixes just be sure you'llhave enuff come race day.
runnerx - 2006-05-02 5:37 PMand possibly Smuckers' Uncrustables. This was a great tip I picked up for doing long rides. Just stick a frozen Uncrustable in your pocket and it thaws out perfectly for when it's time to eat. And they sure taste good and go down easily.

Edited by rollinbones 2006-05-03 8:25 AM
2006-05-03 8:35 AM
in reply to: #413276

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
My plan (and what I've been doing on all my long rides and haven't bonked yet) is Accel gels on the 20 minutes of the hour ( :20, 1:20, 2:20), Clif bar on the 50 minutes of the hour ( :50, 1:50) and a bottle an hour of Vitamin Water Perform with electrolyte powder/pills mixed in (Endurolytes) so I don't have to pop pills.

On the run I plan on using my 4 bottle Fuel Belt with the Vitamin Water mixture and a few gels in the pocket.

I don't plan on stopping at any of the aid stations for anything except maybe some water to splash over my head.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Nutrition for long bike rides / 1/2 IM Rss Feed