United States
84F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 07m 38s
Overall Rank = 2033/3029
Age Group = F 50-54
Age Group Rank = 21/50
Pre-race routine:

I had a rough winter training wise. The weather was not very good, I had had a number of nagging foot and leg problems that impacted my running, and I'm going through some rough spots emotionally. Combine those things with general burnout (I raced way too much last year) and you get conditions that aren't conducive to having a good race.

I had thought about transfering entry to 2007, but I already had my plane ticket, and I wanted to be with my TNT group even though I did not fundraise for this race. So I had to be willing to deal with not repeating last year's 3rd place AG finish, and possibly doing my worst Olympic time ever. Those of you who followed my racing last year know that I like to compete, and had some pretty damn good results to show for that. So probably toughest part of my pre-race prep was leaving my ego out by the entrance to the transition area, and doing this for fun.

Did packet pick up on Friday to avoid the rush on Saturday. Spent lots of money at expo. :) Anyone tell you shopping is T0?

Got to transition later then I'd like if I had been racing this, but with injuries and burnout over the winter I went with the flow of my TNT group. Spent more time in body marking line then I'd like. Despite knowing that I wasn't racing this I still got kind of amped up. The subconscience takes over the mind.
Event warmup:

Walked over to swim start. Did some yoga stretches while waiting for wave to go off. Didn't evn get in water before AG was called to the chute.
Swim
  • 33m 53s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 04s / 100 yards
Comments:

Very choppy so it was hard to sight on the buoys. On the way out to first turn every time I looked up I caught face full of water. I had not been doing much swim training in April because I caught a cold. So I didn't want to push too hard. I was getting grabbed from behind a lot, and got kicked some.

Got passed by a lot of women from next wave. I usually only get passed by a few. Even some from wave after that caught me, but I wasn't getting bent out of shape over it. Caught many from previous wave, and some from men's waves. The conditions were challenging. They reminded me a little of AG worlds with the chop.
What would you do differently?:

Swim more in March and April. :)
Transition 1
  • 02m 27s
Comments:

I was wearing my old QR suit that I've had for years. Some people have "thin and fat clothes". I have "thin and fat wetsuits". This old suit is my fat wetsuit. It's the only one that fits decently when I'm 10 lbs over normal race weight. But what I love about this wetsuit is that it's a piece of cake to get off. I can actually step on legs and feet don't get caught.

Transition would have been quicker if I had not wasted time trying to get lifesaver out of the wrapper. (I suck on lifesaver to get rid of nasty salt water taste in mouth.)

take lifesaver completely out of wrapper before race.
Bike
  • 1h 18m 43s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 18.94 mile/hr
Comments:

My bike split got messed up because when I went back into transition to pick up gear I walked across mat with my personal chip. So very humorous to see my bike split in official results listed as 3:58:06 and having rank of 50th out of 50 especially since cycling is what I truly excel at under normal racing conditions.

These were not normal racing conditions for me. I went as hard as I could, but between poor training and the tough winds it wasn't one of my better performances on the bike. I got passed a lot which doesn't normally happen. I got ticked off at myself when a 59 year old women using toe clips and wearing running shoes kept passing me, and finally stayed ahead for good. But no matter how hard I tried after the last pass I could not get back to her.

The biggest sign of my head not being in this race was that when I sent my bike off on the TNT truck I had forgotten to put my race wheels on. Didn't even think about it until a few days before hand when I got an email about race wheel specials from my bike shop. But in some ways I was glad not to have the Zipp 404s riding in the cross winds. There were a few times I got blown around.

I can't change what went on this winter, so I can't really complain about how the bike ride went.
Transition 2
  • 01m 44s
Comments:

Even though I wasn't racing per se, I did remove my feet from shoes before the dismount line. I figured it was good practice for when I do actually go for time in my later events this season. It's a little hard to do on the cobbles, but at least this year I knew where the dismount line was. :0

Clean up change to running shoes.
Run
  • 1h 11m 6s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 11m 27s  min/mile
Comments:

This wqas the part of the race that I was really dreading. Running has been painfully slow this winter. I had a lot of problems with shin splints, achy knees, and plantar facsiatis in left foot. At one point this winter I just stopped running all together and walked. When I did start running again I was doing 13 minute miles. ( I will not complain about 9 minute miles again. At this point I'd kill to see those again. LOL)

My plan for this race was to run as much as I could and walk the water stations. I was able to maintain that plan for the most part. I was pleasantly surprised that I got through the 1st two miles at an 11 minute pace even with the walking breaks. As I got hotter, and started having problems with blisters I had to slow it down a bit. I walked for a brief stretch not at a water stop, but couldnt take it, and started running again.

The last mile I decided I was going to have fun. Since the TNT waves started over a 1/2 hour after my age group wave many of them were just in their 1st mile of the run as I was in my last mile. I did something that I would never have done if I was in hyper competition mode. I gave high fives to almost all the TNT'ers heading out. Many smiled at me, and a few probably thought I was wacked out. However if it helped a few of them get through their run then I did my job as a TNT mentor. :)

Get new legs. :)
Post race
Warm down:

Did a few token stretches in the food line, and had terrific post race massage.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Mid-life crisis, injuries and burnout.

Event comments:

The BT party at the Veranda B&B was great. Really enjoyed meeting everyone.

Last updated: 2006-01-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:33:53 | 1640 yards | 02m 04s / 100yards
Age Group: 15/50
Overall: 0/3029
Performance: Below average
Suit: QR sleeveless
Course: counter clockwise rectangle
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: High
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Below average Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:27
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:18:43 | 24.85 miles | 18.94 mile/hr
Age Group: 9/50
Performance:
Wind: Headwind
Course: Flat course with lots of turns
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:44
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
01:11:06 | 06.21 miles | 11m 27s  min/mile
Age Group: 37/50
Performance: Below average
Course: flat out and back.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2006-05-02 11:19 PM

User image

Expert
Westchester County NY
Subject: St. Anthony's Triathlon

2006-05-03 8:43 AM
in reply to: #413090

User image

Pro
Vestavia Hills
Subject: RE: St. Anthony's Triathlon

Sounds like a good race for someone who had such a tough winter.  Glad to see that you slowed down your expectations so that you could enjoy the race. (Keep in mind, though, 3 hrs 7 min is solid time, especially given the white caps in the bay and the huge headwinds!)

Great job in encouraging the other TNT teammates, there was a lot of purple down there! I bet you were a great Mentor. 

2006-05-03 8:47 AM

User image

Buttercup
Polly, it was great to see you again. Glad you decided to come on down after all. So... did you have fun?!
2006-05-03 8:50 AM

User image

The Original
Raleigh/Durham
Wow- you still had a speedy bike time (IMO) despite all the issues you had.  You still had a good race!  The conditions for this race were so much tougher than last year!  Way to stick out the run- it was rough! 
2006-05-03 9:11 AM

Master
Boston
Hi Polly, sorry to hear about all your leg injuries. I can sympathize. I've been on/off injured this whole year. I'm glad you came out and raced for the fun of it. It was great talking to you at La Veranda. See you next year!
2006-05-03 12:20 PM

User image

Pro
Evanston,
Way to persevere and just MAKE IT HAPPEN. It sounds like you put out effort, didn't slack up, even though physically you are not at your top form, which shows good MENTAL form.

If I were the betting type I'd put money on your seeing those 9mms again before too long.

Peace!

2006-05-03 4:00 PM
in reply to: #413323

User image

Expert
Westchester County NY

Renee - 2006-05-03 9:47 AM Polly, it was great to see you again. Glad you decided to come on down after all. So... did you have fun?!

Yes I did have fun, and that's what it was all about for me at this race.  Thanks for your major contribution in the fun part.

If the no shows messed up your finances let me know I'd be happy to toss a few more $$$$ into the kitty.

2006-05-04 10:19 AM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Hey Polly.  It was grat to see you again.  I hope things go better for you soon.  You seemed so much more relaxed this year and I hope you had fun   Take care -SMO
2006-05-05 12:34 PM

Master
Brooklyn, NY
Congratulations! You had a tough trip getting to St. A's (training wise), then a tough course but managed to do good still. Glad you had a great time and finished with a smile
2006-05-06 12:04 AM
in reply to: #414657

User image

Expert
Westchester County NY

sue7013 - 2006-05-04 11:19 AM Hey Polly.  It was grat to see you again.  I hope things go better for you soon.  You seemed so much more relaxed this year and I hope you had fun   Take care -SMO

That's because this year you saw me after the race.  LOL  Last year you saw me before the race. Also last year I was in total hyper-competitor mode.  This year I'm in hyper-I-don't-give-a-darn mode.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » St. Anthony's Triathlon Rss Feed