United States
40F / 4C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 08m 45s
Overall Rank = 81/1036
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 7/79
Pre-race routine:

FIRST OFF: A huge THANKS to my friend Ted (sammeg) for transferring his registration to me and allowing me to race. You Rock Ted!!!

Up at 5:45. Ate some oatmeal and drank some black coffee. I hate getting up early :)
Event warmup:

Quick .25 mile WU with Derrick. Popped a 2X caffeine powerbar gel.
Run
  • 1h 08m 45s
  • 10 miles
  • 06m 53s  min/mile
Comments:

I was pretty shocked when word spread that there was over 1,000 runners for this event. I think part of the reason for this was the amazing weather. It was an oddly warm 40 degrees and sunny. It felt more like mid-March weather as opposed to late January. I think the free Bluepoint Beer at the brewery was a draw as well for many. Despite the fact I don't drink, it still made for a festive atmosphere.

At the start I bid farewell and wished luck to a bunch of my friends and lined up at my customary spot - right up front on the extreme right. Due to the time of year, coming off a groin injury, and being a solid 10 lbs above race weight, my goal was simply to Race a Smart Race. Mentally I broke the race up into two five mile segments and I just wanted to negative split the second half. I believe regardless of your overall pace, if your splits are even (or slightly negative for the second half) then you've run a good race - again - regardless of overall ranking and pace.

When the horn sounded lots of runners shot off like hurled out of a cannon. I was only slightly surprised. I settled into a 6:50 pace. Admittedly I had a light week of Cycling and Swimming and felt pretty fresh. I hit the first mile at around 6:45 - a little faster than I liked, but not disasterously fast. The race organizers had digital mile splits at every mile - I was impressed. My friend Derrick had introduced me to his co-worker Jennifer and she ended up about 40 yards in front of me in a bright pink fleece top. She stayed there for most of the race.

The 6:50 pace felt smooth and not too tough, and I debated pushing harder, but I'd just come off two rounds of anti-biotics and when I pushed too hard a side-stitch in my lower right side reared it's ugly head. I've become accustomed to feeling this pain the last few months while on antibiotics. In the end, it was a positive self-limiter.

At the mile three marker I saw one of the volunteers dressed in a strange orange skirt. it was my friend Wynn!! He gave me a loud encouraging shout and I told him he was a Sexy Beast. :)

I hit the 5-mile turn-around at exactly 34:53. As planned I popped my 2nd 2X caffeine powerbar tangerine gel, rolled up my sleeves, and took off my gloves. It was time to hurt a little and push the pace. On the run back I passed my friends Dan and Charlie, giving and recieving encouragement.

Around mile 7 I began entering the Pain Cave. I just focused on my form. I began reeling in a few runners in front of me and the pink fleece was slowly coming back to me. At mile 9 I was in a fair amount of pain and discomfort but it was all mental. My form was still good and my legs felt fine. The plan was to go all out that last mile and I did. I reeled in a half dozen runners. My side-stitch was tearing through my lower intenstines but I asked the Lord for power to just deal with it and hold on for short-while longer, and He delivered. :)

I'd decided early on in the race that if I caught the pink fleece right before the finish line, I'd be a gentleman and let her finish first. Two years ago at a Sprint Triathlon, Ironclad, I kicked passed a girl right at the very end, and in retrospect, (and after seeing how ridiculous I look in my finishing pictures and the look on her face) I'm not inclined to repeat such silly behavior. Luckily I passed the pink fleece with about 1/2 mile to go. We hit a slight headwind and as I passed I encouraged her to slip in behind and draft off me.

With a 1/4 mile to go on a straightaway and the giant FINISH looming two male runners passed me. I buried my head and pushed the warp speed button. Luckily the warp drive engaged. My garmin says I hit a max pace of 5:15 and I blew past both runners and crossed the tape solo.

It took me a solid few minutes bent over to recover. My stomach threatened to empty a couple of times but thankfully it passed. My friend Ed congratulated me. He ran a 1:03:46 and somehow still finished 4th in his AG! That 40-44 AG is brutal.
What would you do differently?:

My ONLY dissapointment with this race was that they only had water at the water stops - no sport drinks. So not something I would do differently. And for a 30 dollar entry fee, that would be nice. Although there was an impressive hot food spread at the end - and, errr.., free Beer (for those that drink).

I wouldn't do my splits differently. My first 5-mile split was 34:53. My 2nd 5-mile split 33:52. Huge accomplishment for me. :)
Post race
Warm down:

I waited for my friend Bill and Derrick, and cheered on other runners.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I couldn't be more happy with my performance for this time of year, and with my winter focus being Cycling and Swimming. I think what aided my ability to perform was using my 'head' for once from start to finish. 'Heart' and 'Will' play a huge part of racing, but I think they are important components that attach to 'Smart Racing'. You can't execute a solid race on them alone. Sadly. :)

This race gives me confidence going into the 2012 Racing Season. It also gives me hope and confidence that a few years into the future, with the proper amount of training volume (and on a similar flat course with similar ideal conditions) I could run a marathon-distance at the same pace.

Event comments:

Three years ago this was a 'Fun Run' with a couple hundred runners. Last year it was an official USATF sanctioned race with 450 runners. This year it grew to just over 1,000 runners! The course is very flat and fast. The atmosphere afterwards at the brewery is very festive with lots to drink and a big spread of hot foods. Hands-down the best race venue around these parts for this time of year.

Last updated: 2012-01-28 12:00 AM
Running
01:08:45 | 10 miles | 06m 53s  min/mile
Age Group: 7/79
Overall: 79/1036
Performance: Good
Course: Flat out and back. The start is at Blue Point Brewery. The course winds through some picturesque neighborhoods along the south shore. The turn-around is at the corner before Sayville Running club in Sayville.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-01-29 9:18 AM

User image

Subject: Run to the Brewery

2012-01-29 9:24 AM
in reply to: #4016868

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Run to the Brewery
Great job!
2012-01-29 10:16 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
NW Georgia
Great job, Bobby!  Solid start to 2012.
2012-01-29 10:03 PM

User image

Champion
Calgary
nice. I would happily trade gatorade at the aid stations for beer at the finish.
2012-01-30 1:54 PM

User image

Pro
Norwalk, Connecticut

nice job Bobby!!!  You are running really well!!!

2012-01-30 9:13 PM

User image

Veteran
Richmond
Great race and start to many more PR's this year! Way to negative split too!

2012-02-01 12:19 PM

User image

Expert
Ann Arbor, MI
Stellar racing, Bobby! Great to see your smart pacing yield big results. Looks like an awesome year ahead
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Run to the Brewery Rss Feed