General Discussion Race Reports! » Short Course Duathlon National Championships Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Short Course Duathlon National Championships - DuathlonStandard

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Mason, Ohio
United States
USAT
50F / 10C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 45m 28s
Overall Rank = 55/104
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 11/13
Pre-race routine:

Had a great trip overall. Went into the weekend knowing there was no way I was going to be able to keep up in the run with such little run training the past 6 months, so I just wanted to enjoy myself. The race was right near my home town, so for the first time, I had a lot of family members cheering me on.

I arrived on the Thursday before the race, picked up my bike from the bike shop I had mailed it to (INFINITELY easier than the bike case on the plane, and slightly cheaper too!) and went to my sister's where I stayed most of the time. Got to see my neice and nephew too.

Friday evening I went out with some old high school buddies and we got to catch up a bit. LOTS of fun!

Saturday was total race prep. Went out to Mason to pick up my packet and do all the other pre-race fun stuff. BEAUTIFUL country roads out there (and lots of hills, too!). Met up with another nephew who had also entered the race (how cool is that?!? He wanted to race with Aunt Sharon) and we drove the bike course together. I rented a hotel room for myself and another sister to spend the night right near the race course and I dropped all my stuff off there.

At 4:00 Saturday was the elite race. Wasn't worried about standing too long/getting too tired and stuff Slightly different course than the age groupers will be doing the next day. MAN, those folks are fast! The winning female had a run pace that kicked everyone's butt! By the end of the first 10K run she had well over a minute lead. She also turned out to have the fastest bike split as well, which is shocking considering the pros are draft-legal and she was basically by herself the whole time. Then the kicked major butt on the second run as well, winning by a huge margin.

Race morning I got up at about 5:45, stretched a bit and went to the hotel lobby for a continental breakfast.

Event warmup:

Did some jogging (not much) and biked a bit, just to get used to the adjustments the guy at the bike shop had made.

The biggest shock to me was that while waiting in the porta-potty line, one of my brothers walked up to me. HOLY CR@P!! I couldn't believe it! I could definitely see my sisters coming out to cheer, but a brother?!? And this brother in particular?!?? (That was the general reaction from my sisters and mother, who were all there, when they found out!).

Run
  • 51m 50s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 21s  min/mile
Comments:

The first run, the 10K was a bit scary for me. I haven't been able to even run this distance more than 3 times this year, and I had go gauge it so I'd still have energy to do the bike and the second run.

My coach's advice was to go EXTREMELY easy on the first run just so I could get through it and hammer on the bike, and after that finishing the 5K would be easy. I was pretty consistent on all my mile splits except, of course, the first mile. It felt terrible seeing all these girls blow by me that I'd usually be up with.
What would you do differently?:

Finish healing up this stupid foot so I could train.
Transition 1
  • 00m 38s
Comments:

Did terrific with the transition. I was fastest T1 in my AG, and 4th of all the women. At least I can still lead in something!!

nothing
Bike
  • 1h 25m 49s
  • 24.8 miles
  • 17.34 mile/hr
Comments:

I think the pace on the first run just wiped me out. There were more hills than I anticipated, but that was still pretty slow for me.

Have better run training so I'd have more energy for the bike.
Transition 2
  • 00m 48s
Comments:

Had a problem racking my bike. They were using the new fancy wooden racks that you fit your back wheel into two slots on the ground and I didn't get the bike in on the first try. It fell over while I was putting on my shoes, so I had to take extra time to fix it. Still not a bad time. Was in the top 20 T2 splits for all women.

Be more careful the first time.
Run
  • 26m 23s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 29s  min/mile
Comments:

I was so cold coming off the bike that my feet were numb. Every step just hurt my toes. Didn't get real feeling back into my feet until almost mile 2.

The good news is that other than my feet I felt great for that second run. MUCH better than the first run. For the first time in a long time, I felt like myself (except slower). I started passing a few people which made me feel even better. In the last mile I achieved my biggest goal for myself. I passed a woman who was in my age group. YAY!!! I WASN'T LAST IN MY AGE GROUP!!!

Nothing. It was great to have that old feeling back. Even without the old speed, I was feeling the confidence that when I get over these injuries once and for all, I still have the drive in me.
Post race
Warm down:

Did a little jogging, lots of walking and drank my Endurox.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Little run training, maybe took the first run out too fast for my current shape and sacrificed some energy for the bike.

Event comments:

Tim Yount from USAT was on the speaker announcing the race. Every time I came around on either run, he would have some comment about me, mostly about how I HATE racing in cold weather!! He was cracking me up so hard I could barely run I was laughing so much!

It was so great to go up to my home town area, see my family and renew a lot of friendships from people I only get to see at national and world events.

To top it off, after the awards ceremony my family took our Aunt Ida to lunch. She's 90 years old and smart as a whip! She's real funny. Too bad she physically couldn't make it to watch the race, but it was good to see her again. She lives right near the high school where the race was held. VERY convenient.

If I ever figure out how to get a picture in here, I 'll submit some.

Last updated: 2006-05-02 12:00 AM
Running
00:51:50 | 06.21 miles | 08m 21s  min/mile
Age Group: 11/13
Overall: 0/104
Performance: Average
Mile 1)7:36; 2)8:36; 3)8:29; 4)8:34; 5)8:37; 6)8:25; 6.2)1:30. HR for first run was mostly in the 160's, occasionally into the low 170's.
Course: Two 5K loops with two small uphills, one large downhill and one large uphill. Started out on streets but ended up on a paved bike path in a park, ending up at the high school/transition area.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
T1
Time: 00:38
Overall: Good
Run with bike? Good
Jump on bike? Good
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Average
Biking
01:25:49 | 24.8 miles | 17.34 mile/hr
Age Group: 12/13
Performance:
Avg HR 161
Wind: Headwind
Course: One loop out along country roads, a wee bit precarious because it was open to traffic, but there weren't many cars. Beautiful scenery. Wish the bike would't end.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 80
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:48
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:26:23 | 03.11 miles | 08m 29s  min/mile
Age Group: 10/13
Performance: Good
Miles 1&2)17:12; 3)8:35; 3.1):40. HR still in the upper 160's to lower 170's.
Course: Same as first run, only one loop.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-05-13 10:31 AM

, Alabama
Subject: Short Course Duathlon National Championships

2006-05-13 11:45 AM
in reply to: #422831

User image

Expert
New Port Richey
Subject: RE: Short Course Duathlon National Championships

Sharon,

Sounds like you had a great time. Even being injured you are one fast Tri Chick!!! Good Job!

2006-05-14 4:38 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
northeast Ohio

Congratulations on your race!!!!  Very cool about your brother coming to watch you race too!!!!  Sounds like you had a great time at the race and visiting your family.

Diane

2006-05-14 6:06 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Hey Sharon.  Sounds like a good time with all the family.  I think you had a fantastic race..esp with all the foot problems!!  Hope things are better
2006-05-14 8:27 PM

User image

Master
Plant City, FL

Sharon,

You never cease to amaze me!! You have overcome some serious injuries to kick some serious butt!!  Congrats on an awesome race!!

2006-05-16 7:05 AM

User image

Expert
Jacksonville, FL
Great job. I am glad you enjoyed yourself while I stayed home with a sick child!! No really, just kidding.

2006-05-16 8:59 AM

Master
Boston

Oh, don't listen to Bob- he's just jealous.

Anyways, nice race!! That's so cool you felt better on the 2nd leg of the run! And, your bike time was pretty good considering the amount of hills you had. We don't have hills to train on here, so you have an excuse! Good to hear you have your old drive back!

2006-05-16 9:12 AM

User image

Buttercup
What a great race on so many levels. Competing with the nephew, having your whole family turnout to cheer you on, feeling good about your race. Congratulations, Sharon!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Short Course Duathlon National Championships Rss Feed