Start2Finish
76F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 33m 53s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = Clydsdale
Age Group Rank = 57/66
Pre-race routine:

Well headed out Friday afternoon with golfinggods(Chris) to Memphis to get there early so we would not have to drive up on Saturday. Got checked in and took off to J Alexanders for dinner. We had an awesome dinner and had a couple of cold beers so that was a great start. We then headed to CAVU9(Lanes) and spent a while hanging out with him, Doug the pro Lane had spending the weekend with him, and of course champ. We then headed back to the hotel and got a great nights sleep. Got up and then went back to Lanes and talked"strategy" and then off to the expo. We got checked in and then picked up a couple of things at the Expo. Chris and I took a practice swim then joined Lane and Doug for a course tour and subway..Later that evening went to the Spaghetti dinner came back to the hotel and crashed. Woke up had some gatorade a cliff bar and off to the race site.
Event warmup:

Umm no real warmup I was number 1393 and with 3 second swim intervals before me I had a while. Put it this way before I got in for my swim the first pro was back in from the bike. Went to the bathroom put on the wetsuit and waited for my first open water race start.
Swim
  • 30m 14s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 50s / 100 yards
Comments:

Well the swim started off bad real bad. As soon as I dove in my goggles came off so I immediatley flipped over and fixed them. My HR was so high then that I was not focused and just flailing at the water. After the first couple of nundred yards I finally calmed down and started swimming like I should. Besides the occasional mouth full of water and fishy smell the first part was good. I rounded the buoy and wack I got kicked square in the jaw so it took me a bit to get over that and got back going again. My sighting was actually ok because instead of looking towards the buoys I followed the swim caps and occasionally on the third sight I would look for buoys to make sure I was ok. I then made the other corner and headed for the home stretch. I probably could have pushed a little more here but kept running into people so I lost my groove. I got to where I could stand and lets just say Mitch Bucanan has othing on me!! Just kidding came out of the water good and it felt great. Unzipped the wetsuit and over the timing mat I went..
What would you do differently?:

I would relax more on the front and go a little harder. I feel I held back but since it was my first tri I wanted to see how I felt. Also Make sure the goggles are on a bit tighter.
Transition 1
  • 02m 42s
Comments:

Well as I came out of the water and got a drink I passed a guy and he siad sarcastically as I was walking take your time and I said right back what do you think I am doing. Just wanted to make sure I did it all right. Got to my area and wetsuit off easy sunglasses then helmet and finally shoes. Then I had to run almost the farthest from the bike exit one could.

Nothing really it went smooth and speed will come with experience.
Bike
  • 1h 32m 13s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 16.17 mile/hr
Comments:

Well I did what I have read not to do so here goes I was planning on getting in more of an aero postion so I had a new forward seat post on and the ride was very uncomfortable. I was unable to keep a good pace at all. But anyway the ride also started of bad due to the fact that with in 1 minute of the ride I dropped my water bottle so I had to stop and go back and get it. After I get it I headed around the first corner and like Lane said the photographers were there so I did all I could to look good. I then headed on up the road and hit the only hill on the course. The est was flat to mildly rolling. So as I continued on I was extremely humbled by the multiple cyclist passing me. I realized then the new post was stupid so I kept going and hit one of the several long straight stretches and the wind just slowed me down tremendously oh and I was still getin passed..but theose disc wheel sdid sound cool flying by me. I can say though I did pass three people on the ride so hey better than nothing. Continued and my stomach was getting really full but by my calculations I was right on. So I finally get back to the race sight and 2 down one to go.Oh my highlight was when two olives came by me and told me I was doing great and it really ment alot because as much as I was struggling I needed it.Thanks

Dont be a dumb ass and change my bike two days before the race and not test it out for more than 10 minutes...oh and loose weight because carrying that around seems to be a bit of a hindrance.
Transition 2
  • 03m 8s
Comments:

Went again fine. I decided to go with my older shoes ad socks because I had not fully broken in my new ones so it took a bit longer besides that smooth as silk

Nothing...well break my shoes in.
Run
  • 1h 25m 39s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 13m 47s  min/mile
Comments:

Well problem one the heat by the time I was running it was the hottest day so far this year I remember, and the stomach issues kept going but here we go out of T2 and a nice short yet pretty steep hill so that just kicked the wind out of my sails but I tried to get my feet moving and it was not working to well but I did see Lane and Chris and they were on the finishing stretch and I was so jealous but it was also great to see them but I keep on run/walk which was pretty much walk to the aid station. It was my understanding the Aid stations were at every mile so I hit my lap and 11 minutes and I was like ok well it was not mile one it was on up a bit so I keep going and then I see Frank Amato and give him a shout out and away I walk again. I was pretty much walking and actually walked 80% because I just could not muster a run up and dont know why.I have trained with many bricks and always able to produce a good to decent run so I keep on and get to see Motivated(Karl), Tri CP, and Two olives as well on the rolling course. As I get to mile2.7 I see a nice huge long downhill and I was like thank you so I hit the half point which was after a what hill and remember about that nice downhill and it was a mean mutha. Kept on and finally get back to the park and see the finish line across the lake and it was so close yet like they warned me would still be so far away. I get on the grass levy and start the home stretch to the finish which seemed like forever and as I come down to the end I breathe a sigh of relief and think you are now a triathlete!!!

Not walk!!! Oh and again that extra weight not the greatest accessory to a triathletes gear.
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed a cold bottle of water and got back with the BT group.They were all congradualting me and it felt great. Shared a champagne toast with Karl, Lane, and Chris and had to sit a while. After about 45 minutes I went to the hospitality tent and got some food in me. And I also got to see rugby kid finish and take the fully clothed dive into the water.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

First and foremost my extra weight. I knwo as I loose i will get faster. Oh and the seat post which now makes me wonder how much it limited my run performance.

Event comments:

Well this was the dame that popped my cherry and let me tell ya it was painfully great. The whole weekend was an awesome experience with the BTers. I am glad I was able to meet several more of BTs finest. I know I have a long way to go between now and IMAZ but doing this makes me appreciate what goes into getting prepared just to finish and realize how much more it would take to compete which one day I will be there. I am glad MIM was my first and that the conditions were what they were. It has me now stepping my game up and also gives me a good place to gage my performance from.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2006-01-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:30:14 | 1640 yards | 01m 50s / 100yards
Age Group: 36/66
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Suit: Promotion Sleeveless
Course: Course was a triangle in a "fishy lake"
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:42
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:32:13 | 24.85 miles | 16.17 mile/hr
Age Group: 63/66
Performance:
Decided not to wear HR monitor
Wind: Some
Course: Flat with a couple of rollers. Wind was pretty bad at times and several turns along the course
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Drinks: Too much
T2
Time: 03:08
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:25:39 | 06.21 miles | 13m 47s  min/mile
Age Group: 56/66
Performance: Bad
Course: Ummm pretty rolling and nowhere near as flat as the bike,
Keeping cool Below average Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-05-22 9:53 PM

User image

Master
Pulaski TN
Subject: Memphis in May

2006-05-22 11:02 PM
in reply to: #430949

User image

Champion
Rochester Hills, Michigan
Gold member
Subject: RE: Memphis in May

Congratulations, triathlete!!!  Sounds like there were a tremendous number of lessons, some great experience, and some good times for your first.  Can't ask for too much more than that. 

Nice work, brother.  Take it to the bank, and come back harder in the next one.  

2006-05-22 11:25 PM

User image

Memphis, Tn
AWESOME Job!!!! Congratulations on the job well done. Don't worry about the weight, it will come off. I dropped 50 pounds while I was training. LSD (the training technique not the drug) was my best friend when I was losing weight.
2006-05-23 6:55 AM

User image

Pro
Vestavia Hills

Congrats on getting your first tri under you belt ... boy an Oly for a first - you start big!  Don't worry about the hiccups along the way, they are just learning experiences.

Speaking of which, sorry you had to live the otherside of the axiom of "... nothing new on race day". (I too learned the hard way with my last race of the last season.)

The guy who gave you a hard time about walking to T1? He hereby now is the proud owner of bad race karma ... and all that entails.

Congrats again, Triathlete!

2006-05-23 9:34 AM

User image

Buttercup

Congratulations!!! You did it! Way to go!!!!!

What is/are two olives?

2006-05-23 11:39 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nashville TN
great job chris!! I am so proud of you! sounds like a great weekend all around...now that you are the pro you can keep me calm for our itty bitty tri this weekend

2006-05-23 11:41 AM

User image

Veteran
Charleston, SC
enjoyed reading your race report.  congrats on a great day you had.  alot of people walk out of the water / T1.  unless you were out to blister the course record, who cares.  you handled that well.  job well done.
2006-05-23 2:06 PM

User image

Elite
Raleigh

Great Race man... Glad to hang with you on your first tri...

Man it was great to hang with you all weekend and I feel like we could be brothers from a different mother...lol

Glad you made it and you will be a lot faster this monday.

Awesome job and welcome to this crazy club....

2006-05-23 2:18 PM

User image

Master
Marietta, Ga
Buddy, great race and way to rock that swim, even if your eyes were closed.  It was cool meeting you and the rest of the other BT'rs, fun to race with you.  See you at the next one.
2006-05-23 4:54 PM
in reply to: #431791

User image

Master
Pulaski TN

Motivated - 2006-05-23 2:18 PM Buddy, great race and way to rock that swim, even if your eyes were closed.  It was cool meeting you and the rest of the other BT'rs, fun to race with you.  See you at the next one.

My eyes were only closed so I could focus!!! I was trying to trust my inner chi..or something like that!!

2006-05-23 9:17 PM

User image

Regular
Vienna, VA

Congrats on the Tri -- and great race report.  I'm convinced tho that the swim and bike were short (the bike by almost 1.3 mi) and that the run was long (by about 0.2 mi).  Wish we could have met up -- had my family and was there with Team in Training, so the SW meal on Saturday wasn't in my stars.

You did great!

Paul 

2006-05-24 9:29 AM

User image

Elite
Hattiesburg, Mississippi
Chris, nice job.  Finished your first triathlon.  I thought you knew better about changing equipment two days before a race.  You knew better with your shoes.  Now you need to start preparing for IMAZ.  Good luck.
2006-05-25 12:41 AM

Veteran
Ames IA
It was great to meet you at MIM. Those hills on the run were a $#@%^&$#%^$#^@^!!!! I am glad you are hooked. You picked a pretty tough Tri for your first. MIM was only my second tri (and second OLY) and I can tell you that it only gets better after the first.
2006-05-25 2:26 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Great RR. And congrats on your first Tri -- an Oly even! Very cool man. Get some good time on that new seat post before the next race.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Memphis in May Rss Feed