Georgia MultiSports Productions
81F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 51m 41s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

I was not as prepared logistically as I had hoped to be. I had no idea where exactly this place was, nor how long it would take me to get there. It ended up taking me about two hours with a stop for gas and a couple of wrong turns once I got off the interstate. I ate half a bagel with Nutella on the way down with a diet Mountain Dew.
Event warmup:

Parking was farther than I envisioned when they said "about a quarter mile away." In hindsight, I should have just taken my bike and gear down and left my packet in transition. Instead, I made that trip twice. I got in an easy jog back to the truck and rode my bike back to transition. Not an ideal warmup, but it was good enough.
Swim
  • 16m 11s
  • 600 yards
  • 02m 42s / 100 yards
Comments:

Weird start coming off the boat ramp. I was determined not to start at the back of my wave after having so much trouble passing people last time. I got kicked about 10 yards in which didn't hurt other than to give me problems with my goggles leaking for the first 100 yards or so. After that I settled in nicely and had a great swim. Repassed several people who went by me while I was dealing with my goggles. Felt really good coming out of the water. Much better swim than my last race.
What would you do differently?:

Start on the front line of my wave? I really don't think I am fast enough to do that, but I don't like having people in front of me.
Transition 1
  • 02m 17s
Comments:

Scored a great spot on the inside end of my rack making transitions easy. I used a crate instead of a bag to carry my gear this time which provided a quick seat for getting my shoes and socks on. I wanted to do this one without socks, but since I haven't run without them before, I opted to wear them this time. Ran to and from the transition this time instead of walking. Crossed the mount line and jumped on my bike and I was off ...

Get rid of the socks. Two minutes still seems too high to me. A lot of room for improvement here.
Bike
  • 57m 8s
  • 15 miles
  • 15.75 mile/hr
Comments:

... off my bike, I should say. Somehow I missed the jumping on my bike part and ended up wiping out five yards over the line. So now I'm bleeding from my arm and leg, but the only thing really hurt is my pride. The course was just rolling hills, but my lack of training on hills caught up with me about halfway through and my legs were shot by the time I got back to transition.

Start riding hills. I probably should've tried to pace myself a little better too, but that's hard to do in a race this short.
Transition 2
  • 00m 56s
Comments:

I switched back to platform pedals so I wouldn't have to change shoes here, so there is no excuse for this transition to take this long. I would've guessed I was in and out in under thirty seconds. What the hell was I doing in there?!?

Not stop for a beer and wings. I have no idea.
Run
  • 35m 18s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 11m 21s  min/mile
Comments:

The uphillest flat run I have ever experienced. Actually, it was a pretty easy run; my legs were just trashed from the bike. I blew by John about 5 minutes into my run. Unfortunately, he was headed to the finish and I was headed to the turnaround. At the time, I was pretty happy with my run; but looking back, I could've pushed harder here.

Get better on the bike so I have more left for the run.
Post race
Warm down:

Pizza and a coke (that muscle milk crap is awful). Waited for Jarrett to finish, then headed back to the parking area with J&J for beer. Had a great time all around.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I PR'd this race by more than 20 minutes, so I am extremely happy with my progress. That being said, I am not content with my time in any one area, so there is a lot to work on.

Event comments:

Really enjoyed this race, but the swim start needs to be re-thought.

Last updated: 2012-02-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:16:11 | 600 yards | 02m 42s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Out and back counter-clockwise around 5 bouys. The real problem was that we started out swimming directly into the path of the Olympic swimmers coming in. They had a different start point, but both of us finished on the boat ramp where we started. They started 20 minutes ahead of our first wave which had their leaders coming out before we got in. We were supposed to keep the bouys to our left, and I would think they should've done the same, but they were splitting the last bouy which put them directly in our start path. This needs to be handled better.
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:17
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:57:08 | 15 miles | 15.75 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:56
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:35:18 | 03.11 miles | 11m 21s  min/mile
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-04-30 1:20 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
NW Georgia
Subject: Spring Fling Triathlon

2012-04-30 1:34 PM
in reply to: #4181429

User image

Expert
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Virginia
Subject: RE: Spring Fling Triathlon
Woo Hoo - first post!  Congrats on the PR.  Keep up the good work and things will just get better and better.  Glad you got to meet some of the MG gang.

Edited by sdalessio 2012-04-30 1:34 PM
2012-04-30 1:37 PM
in reply to: #4181464

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia

Nice PR.  I have the same problem swimming, just put yourself right up front, if they're faster than you they'll swim around you.

2012-04-30 2:12 PM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!

A PR is a PR!!! 

Another option is to start on the side for the swim.  You can often get clear water that way!

2012-04-30 2:55 PM

User image

Champion
marietta
awesome day!!!   great job out there!!!!   btw, looking at the swim times, the course was longer than 600y  
2012-04-30 4:14 PM

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina

I like starting in the front of the swim pack because as people pass you it increases the time you can spend drafting.  Tip to getting socks on wet feet:  have them rolled down to the toes with baby powder in them then they slide right on.   Next time you race with Fatty smack his butt for me when you pass! 

Killer job on a PR!  

2012-04-30 8:24 PM

User image

Master
TORONTO
Woo hoo! Off to a good start this year!!  A wee bit bumpy with the goggles and the bike spill [got any pictures of that??? ] and yet still a strong good race.  Congrats!!
2012-05-01 1:31 PM

User image

Master
Silverton, Oregon
20' PR is HUGE! Awesome job!!! Sorry about the crash at the mount line (the mount and dismount line during a tri is my least favorite part. I'm always afraid I'll wipe out). All in all sounds like a great day and great start to the season! Congrats!
2012-05-02 4:09 AM

User image

Expert
Noosa
Well done, I nearly came off the bike last year when I got my tri shorts snagged on the back of the saddle!
2012-05-02 8:22 PM

User image

Triathlete Nation ~ Texas!
Great Job! Kick off the season and keep it rolling!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Spring Fling Triathlon Rss Feed