Subject: RE: Minimum training to finish IM
Did you ride a road bike?
2012-05-21 8:58 PM
in reply to: #4220321

User image

Regular
Westfield, IN

This type of training for an ironman is like doing only enough to get by at work without getting fired.

To each their own.

2012-05-21 9:03 PM
in reply to: #4221854

User image

indianacyclist - 2012-05-21 3:58 PM

This type of training for an ironman is like doing only enough to get by at work without getting fired.

To each their own.

I wouldn't say it's that extreme.  There are a lot of things in life that I don't put a lot of importance on, and don't give much effort.  I cut grass and pull weeds only enough so that I can walk around the house.

2012-05-21 9:13 PM
in reply to: #4221819

User image

Elite
scm724 - 2012-05-21 7:42 PM

thank you to all those who congratulate me.  that is not what i was seeking nor the point of this post.  as stated earlier it was simply to give that person having doubt about there self due to lack of training to go ahead and do it!  it can be done!  

But that's my point... just because you did, does not mean it's a good idea for someone else. You can share your accomplishment, and let others take from it what they will... but to take that extra step and say, "sure buddy, you hadn't trained squat for ten years, but go do that Ironnman!" Well that just seems silly.

To all those that said i missed the point and endanger my life or others.....what if i told you that even in spite of my lack of training an Ironman is not in the top 5 toughest races i have FINISHED!!!  No disrespect to those that have done the ironman it is a great race, very challenging.  i will most likely do it again and defiantly train better, smater, more.  But if you are feeling like you are a bad A because you can finish an ironman, and you are in the best shape of your life....  Give "Texas Water Safari" a try.    

in all seriousness i would compare the ironman to the first 20 miles or so of this race.  Of which i have entered and completed 5 times!

I am not trying to prop another race, nor tear down the other race.  after all they are just races!  there are more important things in life.  family, friends, health. 

i simply want to give encouragement to the next guy that is having doubt.  so if that is you...  You can do it.  it will be tough and you will get sick and tired and in pain, but you can do it!  Find something positive and focus on that.  We all have fears and doubt but you can do it.  Courage is not the absence of fear it is proceeding in spite of fear!

Then you go on to say that you have entered and completed a race that makes IM look like a stroll through a field of daisies 5 TIMES.... but to all you other folks that have not trained for a extreme event, but want the t-shirt... "Go get your dream girlfriend"... well that just seems irresponsible.

And in total 100% sincerity... congrats on your finish. You did it. Good for you. Really.

2012-05-21 9:26 PM
in reply to: #4221809

User image

Expert
Chandler, AZ
Fred D - 2012-05-21 6:36 PM
Experior - 2012-05-21 9:28 PM
Fred D - 2012-05-21 7:28 PM

Additionally, according to gvey (the bolded comment refers to the "it is necessary to train 15020 hrs a week to complete an IM)

If you have never seen posts about what you have bolded, I'm amazed. I'll see if I can find some threads and get back to you

He definitely will get you those links. It's pretty eye-opening actually.

OK, then I'm all ears/eyes.  I read most posts that seem to have something to do with training -- I confess I do not recall having seen this statement made once.  I guess I'm reading-comprehension-challenged.

I'm sorry Michael, should have been using the Sarc font for much of this thread. I've never ever heard that here except from gvey in this thread. His pm to me did not have links in it, rather other 'less appropriate' stuff. I won't disclose that, but suffice to say there are no links to threads that are constantly showing up discussing the 15-20 hr a week minimum average to complete an IM. Should have used the red font....

Okay,  now I'm really want to know what he said...

2012-05-21 9:27 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cold Spring, NY
To the OP, congrats on your races, both IM and the hard stuff. I for one would like to encouage less training for all triathlons, not just 140.6. That is, if you happen to be a male 35-39 (this stuff is hard, and i could use a leg up). For everyone else 15-40hrs per week sounds about right.
2012-05-21 9:30 PM
in reply to: #4221910

User image

Master
San Antone, Texas
JasenGuy - 2012-05-21 9:26 PM
Fred D - 2012-05-21 6:36 PM
Experior - 2012-05-21 9:28 PM
Fred D - 2012-05-21 7:28 PM

Additionally, according to gvey (the bolded comment refers to the "it is necessary to train 15020 hrs a week to complete an IM)

If you have never seen posts about what you have bolded, I'm amazed. I'll see if I can find some threads and get back to you

He definitely will get you those links. It's pretty eye-opening actually.

OK, then I'm all ears/eyes.  I read most posts that seem to have something to do with training -- I confess I do not recall having seen this statement made once.  I guess I'm reading-comprehension-challenged.

I'm sorry Michael, should have been using the Sarc font for much of this thread. I've never ever heard that here except from gvey in this thread. His pm to me did not have links in it, rather other 'less appropriate' stuff. I won't disclose that, but suffice to say there are no links to threads that are constantly showing up discussing the 15-20 hr a week minimum average to complete an IM. Should have used the red font....

Okay,  now I'm really want to know what he said...

me too.  This thread just took on a whole new life!

2012-05-21 9:31 PM

User image

Master
Redlands, CA

My training definately was subpar for my last IM, but it wasn't really by choice.  I think I did maybe 18 miles running in the final 6 weeks and couldn't even cycle the final 2 due to severe shin splints.   My base and real conservative racing got me through, but I consider myself lucky. 

My IM prior to that was the same, trained as much as I thought I could without reinjuring my torn achilles and it cost me.  I ended up not finishing and it was a lesson for me that heart doesn't always get you to the finish line.

IMO,  Training is not something you want to mess around with.  If you get hurt in the middle of the cycle (which was my case both times) do what you can and see if you're ready to go.  However, out of pure not giving a damn, I don't recommend the even signing up. 

Grats on the finish, at the end of the day the numbers dont really matter if you cross the finish line!

Edited by furiousferret 2012-05-21 9:41 PM
2012-05-21 9:50 PM

User image

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
scm724 - 2012-05-21 8:56 AM

I have started/posed this question before so i just wanted to give an update.  My logs are 100% up to date, my race reports are up (i am working on the Ironman Texas) so when the question gets asked again just point them to my race logs.  You will see that it is not much training but lots of stubbornness.  

I have seen STAR WARS 500 times....
2012-05-21 10:00 PM
in reply to: #4221956

User image

Pro

bryancd - 2012-05-21 9:50 PM
scm724 - 2012-05-21 8:56 AM I have started/posed this question before so i just wanted to give an update.  My logs are 100% up to date, my race reports are up (i am working on the Ironman Texas) so when the question gets asked again just point them to my race logs.  You will see that it is not much training but lots of stubbornness.  
I have seen STAR WARS 500 times....

Thanks....I read five damn pages before I finally got to something that made sense. Laughing

2012-05-22 1:29 AM

User image

Regular
Las Vegas, NV

I disagree that anyone can finish an Ironman on minimal training.  When I started training I was averaging 12 MPH on the bike and through sheer effort and training I'm up to 13 MPH 4.5 months later.  I have one year to make it up to 16 so really hoping it's one of those things that will shoot up eventually.  Up to running six miles at a time.  Still swim 3:00/100m.  I've averaged 7 hours a week since the beginning of the year, including base building.  Before I started training I used to take 15-20 hours a week of group classes at the gym.

Doesn't bother me that someone else can do it with less training, we all have different athletic abilities.  Unless you're F30-34  

I have to train my behind off, with a coach, for a year and a half, and I'm still not sure that I can make the cutoffs (and if I don't I'll just keep going until I do, I'll finish one eventually, hopefully this one 8 days before my 35th birthday).

At the beginning of the year I was very group oriented and could not work out alone and have grown to love the training and I can train for hours by myself now and I think that mental furtitude is a great by-product of Ironman training.  I consistently do 30 MPH+ on the bike on downhills now which scared me before.  I did a tough bike loop that I never thought I could do.  I learned to use clipless.  There are so many fears I have gotten over and continue to get over.  I have been forced to start considering myself an athlete and that I have a force and power inside of me.

And I love starting something that I can't do, training, and accomplishing it.  It is such a great feeling to train yourself to do something you can't do at the beginning.

For me the Ironman is the whole journey of the dream, all those things I had to give up, the hours of working towards something.  Racing is just the icing on the cake, the real meat of it all is in the journey and the transformation.  I miss Zumba and TurboKick and spin so much and I view sacrificing that as part of the personal strength that it takes to accomplish a big dream/goal.

In short, Ironman is whatever you want it to be, and depending on how you approach it, you get something different out of it.  For me it's a life-changing experience, physically, mentally, emotionally.

2012-05-22 1:51 AM

Different strokes for different folks. I'm positive I can finish an Ironman at this very moment given my athletic condition but it takes away the whole point of racing it for me. I want to get the fastest time I can possibly achieve when I attempt my first IM, not just cross the finish line. Good job by the way, the mentality of a human being is extremely powerful.
2012-05-22 5:12 AM

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
scm724 - 2012-05-21 9:42 PM

thank you to all those who congratulate me.  that is not what i was seeking nor the point of this post.  as stated earlier it was simply to give that person having doubt about there self due to lack of training to go ahead and do it!  it can be done!  

To all those that said i missed the point and endanger my life or others.....what if i told you that even in spite of my lack of training an Ironman is not in the top 5 toughest races i have FINISHED!!!  No disrespect to those that have done the ironman it is a great race, very challenging.  i will most likely do it again and defiantly train better, smater, more.  But if you are feeling like you are a bad A because you can finish an ironman, and you are in the best shape of your life....  Give "Texas Water Safari" a try.    

in all seriousness i would compare the ironman to the first 20 miles or so of this race.  Of which i have entered and completed 5 times!

I am not trying to prop another race, nor tear down the other race.  after all they are just races!  there are more important things in life.  family, friends, health. 

i simply want to give encouragement to the next guy that is having doubt.  so if that is you...  You can do it.  it will be tough and you will get sick and tired and in pain, but you can do it!  Find something positive and focus on that.  We all have fears and doubt but you can do it.  Courage is not the absence of fear it is proceeding in spite of fear!

Okay.... so CLEARLY you have SOME background in at least participating in "tough" endurance events. That means you are NOT the same as the absolute beginner coming off the couch you think you might be giving some hope to. Whether you want to acknowledge it or not, those events contributed to your ability to complete your Ironman, even if just by giving you the mental fortitude to keep putting one foot in front of the other. As others have said, if you want to do an IM on no training, it's no skin off my back... but I don't think your approach would be a successful one for the vast majority of people who might attempt it. Fortunately, not many WILL attempt it. My biggest concern about your approach is lack of swim training. Glad you made it through, but "encouraging" other beginners to take on a 2.4 mile open water swim on no training is pretty irresponsible. On the bike or run someone can always just stop if they decide they've bitten off more than they can chew. In the water, it could have very serious consequences.

So, yeah, you're an Ironman. Congratulations -- I guess.... Like others, I don't quite get the point, but I'm not you, so I guess I don't have to get it. Just immagine what you might be able to do if you put in a little actual preparation....
2012-05-22 6:45 AM
in reply to: #4221809

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
Fred D - 2012-05-21 10:36 PM

Apparently my sarcasm detector needs to be recalibrated; when I read the first post about links to threads I was trying to figure out how I missed them all.

Shane
2012-05-22 8:05 AM

User image

Master
New Jersey
I have no problem with someone posting about doing minimal training and completing an Ironman. But you can't make a statement like that without any other information. Supposedly OP's "minimal" training was simply a few workouts, but now additional info is coming out as to previous endurance race experience (which is HUGE!), and seems like perhaps not all training is in his/her log files, and who knows what else.

My point here...Don't make a blanket statement for the benefit of "the next guy" - because the next guy may literally be a couch potato and read this and think "hey, I can do that too." And that's when it becomes dangerous for that "next guy" as well as for the others around them.

2012-05-22 8:12 AM

User image

Master
Sunbury, Pennsylvania

I've been reading this thread with interest, since I have found myself in a parallel situation, though not as extreme.

I'm the poster child for the guy who started in triathlon with no background in endurance or fitness, extremely overweight. I confess I get annoyed by people who can just hop up and go run 6 miles on no training, and still be very much faster than me after I've been running a year and a half. Today I was happy to be sub 14:30/mile on a 5 mile run.

At the same time, I can't honestly say my training has been optimal. It's not minimal, but it's not enough for the races I've been doing. The big target was the a half-marathon in January. I finished it, beaten, bloody, and almost 4 hours. It was ugly. The next day I saw people even more obese than me, finishing the marathon.

It occurred to me that it could be done at that weight. But why would I want to? Different question than training, but not totally unrelated. No way would I attempt a marathon at 285 pounds.

I committed myself to training better and losing weight. 3 months later I took 44:44 of my half marathon and 30 pounds off my frame. Felt awesome.

But now I'm on the verge of my first HIM. I'm determined to cross that finish, and if I have to use every minute of free time I get from an earlier swim wave, just to make the cutoff, I will do that. But I am seeing a pattern here, and my next HIM will be a huge improvement. I'll be between 240 and 250 for this one, but I'll be a lot leaner for the next, and much better trained.

It wouldn't even occur to me to do a full iron distance until I'm trained. In my first days of dreaming about this whole venture, I did the math on 17 hours, and it seemed feasible. But, I don't want my first IM to be a sufferfest where I'm chasing the cutoff from the starting horn. I think I'll be doing that at Eagleman as it is.

I know I'll survive the half, or at least be fine if I get pulled for slowness. The concept of a full on minimal training? I have done some stupid, ill-advised things in my life - for a guy like me, that would set a record. Not saying anyone else can't do it, but as a representative of the fresh-off-the-couch-club, I'll pass on that plan.

2012-05-22 8:21 AM
in reply to: #4222300

User image

TheClaaaw - 2012-05-22 6:12 AM

I've been reading this thread with interest, since I have found myself in a parallel situation, though not as extreme.

I'm the poster child for the guy who started in triathlon with no background in endurance or fitness, extremely overweight. I confess I get annoyed by people who can just hop up and go run 6 miles on no training, and still be very much faster than me after I've been running a year and a half. Today I was happy to be sub 14:30/mile on a 5 mile run.

At the same time, I can't honestly say my training has been optimal. It's not minimal, but it's not enough for the races I've been doing. The big target was the a half-marathon in January. I finished it, beaten, bloody, and almost 4 hours. It was ugly. The next day I saw people even more obese than me, finishing the marathon.

It occurred to me that it could be done at that weight. But why would I want to? Different question than training, but not totally unrelated. No way would I attempt a marathon at 285 pounds.

I committed myself to training better and losing weight. 3 months later I took 44:44 of my half marathon and 30 pounds off my frame. Felt awesome.

But now I'm on the verge of my first HIM. I'm determined to cross that finish, and if I have to use every minute of free time I get from an earlier swim wave, just to make the cutoff, I will do that. But I am seeing a pattern here, and my next HIM will be a huge improvement. I'll be between 240 and 250 for this one, but I'll be a lot leaner for the next, and much better trained.

It wouldn't even occur to me to do a full iron distance until I'm trained. In my first days of dreaming about this whole venture, I did the math on 17 hours, and it seemed feasible. But, I don't want my first IM to be a sufferfest where I'm chasing the cutoff from the starting horn. I think I'll be doing that at Eagleman as it is.

I know I'll survive the half, or at least be fine if I get pulled for slowness. The concept of a full on minimal training? I have done some stupid, ill-advised things in my life - for a guy like me, that would set a record. Not saying anyone else can't do it, but as a representative of the fresh-off-the-couch-club, I'll pass on that plan.

Great post! Great job on the Blog too btw. Congrats on the impressive gains & losses . Keep up the hard work, good luck to you in all that you do!

2012-05-22 8:24 AM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

.....what if i told you that even in spite of my lack of training an Ironman is not in the top 5 toughest races i have FINISHED!!!  

I would say that is a disclosure you probably should have made up front in your eagerness to provide encouragement to others--for whom which the IM may be the toughest race they will have ever tried.

2012-05-22 8:43 AM
in reply to: #4222330

User image

Master
Sunbury, Pennsylvania
JohnnyKay - 2012-05-22 9:24 AM

.....what if i told you that even in spite of my lack of training an Ironman is not in the top 5 toughest races i have FINISHED!!!  

I would say that is a disclosure you probably should have made up front in your eagerness to provide encouragement to others--for whom which the IM may be the toughest race they will have ever tried.

x2 - yeah, that's why I wrote a book just above here - I think a guy like me might be the target audience for the message, but clearly the whole picture isn't there. By the time I turn 50, I hope to be able to say "well, Ironman was hard, but it was no Badwater." But I sure as heck will have a lot of training between now and then, and will respect all distances.

2012-05-22 8:50 AM
in reply to: #4222300

User image

NC
TheClaaaw - 2012-05-22 9:12 AM

But now I'm on the verge of my first HIM. I'm determined to cross that finish, and if I have to use every minute of free time I get from an earlier swim wave, just to make the cutoff, I will do that.

. . .

It wouldn't even occur to me to do a full iron distance until I'm trained.

Just to illustrate the different strokes theory (TM), I feel the same way about potentially attempting an HIM this fall.  I'm also off the couch 2.5 years ago with no previous athletic experience and a sizable weight loss.  However, my definition of trained (for me) for an HIM is starting with a legitimate shot at breaking six hours.  This is completely arbitrary, but that's what it is.  As I sit here today, I don't think I'm breaking two hours on the run (my arbitrary goal for being trained for the run) because I just don't have the volume built up or the long runs in the bank.  I might be able to do something about that in the next few months, and reassess my fall HIM plans.  I'm not too worried about a deadline.  If I end up racing a HIM, great.  If I don't, I don't.  So, one man's trained for an HIM, IM, Oly and so on and so forth is just different than the next. 

I still want to hear about the OP's bike.

2012-05-22 8:55 AM
in reply to: #4222112

User image

Veteran
Berkley
jsnowash - 2012-05-22 6:12 AM

Okay.... so CLEARLY you have SOME background in at least participating in "tough" endurance events. That means you are NOT the same as the absolute beginner coming off the couch you think you might be giving some hope to. Whether you want to acknowledge it or not, those events contributed to your ability to complete your Ironman, even if just by giving you the mental fortitude to keep putting one foot in front of the other. As others have said, if you want to do an IM on no training, it's no skin off my back... but I don't think your approach would be a successful one for the vast majority of people who might attempt it. Fortunately, not many WILL attempt it. My biggest concern about your approach is lack of swim training. Glad you made it through, but "encouraging" other beginners to take on a 2.4 mile open water swim on no training is pretty irresponsible. On the bike or run someone can always just stop if they decide they've bitten off more than they can chew. In the water, it could have very serious consequences. So, yeah, you're an Ironman. Congratulations -- I guess.... Like others, I don't quite get the point, but I'm not you, so I guess I don't have to get it. Just immagine what you might be able to do if you put in a little actual preparation....

X2. You do have a background in endurance sports, whether you want to admit it or not. Sure your IM "training" was minimal, but it wasn't like you were doing the "Texas Water Safari" on minimal training.

Congrats on your IM finish, but your story is like talking to a little kid when you know they are not divulging the full information. The more they talk, the more that spills out. You didn't complete an IM from the couch. Sure there are those "freaks" (for lack of a better term) who can just pick up and finish, but you do have the training in from your other races that you have COMPLETED 5 TIMES!

I was very curious about this thread until I read that you have competed in other endurance races for at least 5 years (5 years completing TWS).

Goodluck everyone in their IM training, best of luck!

Cheers,

Ken

2012-05-22 9:22 AM

User image

New user

I have not completed an IM, but it is definitely a long term goal of mine. I can't imagine ever wanting to try it on the least amount of training possible. 

As others have just posted, it is clear that you were able to complete an IM on minimal training most likely because of your history of completing endurance events. I doubt that someone who does not have any experience in these type of events would be able to complete it on very minimal training. Possibly if they had an athletic background of some type, but still I wouldn't tell someone to go for it. 

They should lower the cut off to 13 hours so we wouldn't have these threads any more. 

2012-05-22 10:06 AM
in reply to: #4221814

User image

Expert
Charlotte, NC

bryancd - 2012-05-21 9:39 PM  Not offended, no in the least. It's just at then end of the day we all have our own motivation and goals and there is not right or wrong. My life became so much simpler when I stopped giving a crap.

Perhaps the most profound and intelligent statement in these five pages of posts!

2012-05-22 10:15 AM
in reply to: #4221578

User image

New user
Athens, GA

wannabefaster - 2012-05-21 7:11 PM I commend you for finishing a full IM on the minimalist training plan. This has to take some serious mental fortitude on race day (but not on training days, obviously). I am going to make one snarky comment about your race report. It is funny that you are upset you could not leave your shoes clipped in on your bike so you could save 15-20 seconds at the beginning of a ride that is going to take you 7 + hours. I guess every second counts and if you had finished at 17:00:10 then it really would have made a difference. Anyways, congratulations again. You are indeed an IronMan.

Funny, that's exactly what was going through my head when I read the race report. Congrats on getting the job done. I'm not sure the experience is transferable as a model to the vast majority of other "beginner" triathletes, though.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Minimum training to finish IM Rss Feed  

of 5