General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Bone Island Tri - Full Iron Course : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 14

2013-01-09 10:23 AM
in reply to: #4567704

Subject: RE: Bone Island Tri - Full Iron Course : Official Thread

alltom1 - 2013-01-08 8:59 AM Too early to start looking at the weather forecasts? Personally, I prefer the one from weather.com to weatherunderground - much less wind forecast in the former! The humidity % is pretty stout - Time to dig deep into the 'stay cool' bag o' tricks..

I'm a newbie. Care to share a few of your "stay cool" bag o tricks?

2013-01-09 10:42 AM
in reply to: #4569851

I live in the SC lowcountry in Charleston which is infamous for high summer temps and humidity (and ocean winds for that matter).  I train folks 90+ temp and 90% humidity all summer long and you have to be thinking about hydration and fueling constantly.  Go slower than normal which I know doesn't set up for a PR sorry, drink early and often (every 10-15 min for me but I'm a heavy, salty sweater) alternating water/Perpetuum and Heed.  That's just what I use.  Endurolytes or other electrolyte tablets if you're a heavy sweater, I take 1-2 every hour.  Water over your head feels nice but drinking is what really cools your body down.  Ice in your hat while running is nice or cold rags if they have them.  Definitely wear a hat or visor when running to keep the sun off your face.  

Anyone else?  I'm sure there are others.  It's gonna be sweaty out there!

2013-01-09 12:18 PM
in reply to: #4569851

User image

Master
Atlanta, Georgia
andredahlman - 2013-01-09 11:23 AM

alltom1 - 2013-01-08 8:59 AM Too early to start looking at the weather forecasts? Personally, I prefer the one from weather.com to weatherunderground - much less wind forecast in the former! The humidity % is pretty stout - Time to dig deep into the 'stay cool' bag o' tricks..

I'm a newbie. Care to share a few of your "stay cool" bag o tricks?

All of the above plus a couple other ideas. .

Best 'off the rack' idea is to get a loose latex glove like you'd use when painting. Same size as a surgical glove but looser. Fill the thing with ice every few aid stations - no fooling, it will cool you off even better than ice stuck in your hat.

I have had much better cramp resistance with SaltStick capsules than with Endurolytes - the sodium content is much higher I think.

As above, slowing down and hydrating are best defense against a blow up.
2013-01-09 8:36 PM
in reply to: #4257515

Thanks for the info. I'm pretty prone to cramping so the humid conditions will be a big battle for me. I've been asking around and heard some good things about this stuff:

http://www.infinitnutrition.us/

I bought a batch but only got a few training rides with the stuff.  Plus it was 40 degrees outside so still not exactly sure how it'll pan out in Key West.  Fingers crossed.  

Safe travels to all.

2013-01-09 8:44 PM

User image

Boarding the plane in 9 hours. I wonder if I packed everything...? I've got a buddy that arrived 2 days ago. Just got a text saying hot and muggy. Good Luck, everyone!

2013-01-09 8:44 PM
in reply to: #4571013

User image

Master
Cumming, Georgia
I use Inifnit nutrition and I'm still bringing endurolytes with me just in case.  I've had good luck with it in the past but I'm not sure how my body will handle coming from the cooler weather.  I suspect I'll be fine but the pills are just a backup in case I cramp.

2013-01-10 1:36 PM

New user
Key West
In case you all did not get the live results link yet to give you family and friends that want to follow you, this is it for the Ironman distance: http://www.setupevents.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=live_timing&eve...
2013-01-11 8:27 AM

Champion
No excuses!

Had quite the adventurous trip to get here yesterday. Flew from GR Michigan to Chicago, hour layover, then flew to Ft Myers and were delayed getting out of Chicago a bit so got into Ft Myers a few minutes late and we only had a short layover as it was. Got off the plane and our flight to Key West was cancelled. Both Cape Air planes were down.

So guy says we can't get you out of here today. So we bust out the one way rental car and drive about 7 hrs down to Key West. Get in late, starving, but looking for a good time. We found that down on Duval last night til way too late. Back to business today!

2013-01-11 9:25 AM
in reply to: #4573574

User image

Master
Atlanta, Georgia
Shermbelle - 2013-01-11 9:27 AM

Had quite the adventurous trip to get here yesterday. Flew from GR Michigan to Chicago, hour layover, then flew to Ft Myers and were delayed getting out of Chicago a bit so got into Ft Myers a few minutes late and we only had a short layover as it was. Got off the plane and our flight to Key West was cancelled. Both Cape Air planes were down.

So guy says we can't get you out of here today. So we bust out the one way rental car and drive about 7 hrs down to Key West. Get in late, starving, but looking for a good time. We found that down on Duval last night til way too late. Back to business today!

Man deals with the stress of a cancelled flight and is calm, cool and collected enough to hit up Duval St....I'm impressed.

Glad you made it, mate.
2013-01-11 9:28 AM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Georgia
Hey BT'ers. . . Anyone going to the dinner tonight and want to sit together?

I'm at the Doubletree if anyone needs a ride.
2013-01-11 2:21 PM
in reply to: #4573574

New user
Key West

Holy Cow, what a mess. That is exactly why I usually don't fly in and out of KW. It is so hard to make connections, let alone find a functioning airplane, although we do have more choices than just Cape "Fear." Depends of where you fly from. Anyway, glad you made it and great attitude. Keep that while you are on the bike tomorrow. I am in the for night. You all have fun and welcome.

2013-01-11 8:09 PM
in reply to: #4573711

Champion
No excuses!
alltom1 - 2013-01-11 10:25 AM

Man deals with the stress of a cancelled flight and is calm, cool and collected enough to hit up Duval St....I'm impressed. Glad you made it, mate.

This trip just keeps getting funnier. We had to bring our oneway rental back to the airport or so we thought. Get there and it turns out we need to be on the other side of the island and only have a few minutes to get there before being charged another day. That worked out. 

Then for anyone staying at the Doubletree, we were getting our bikes together at about 5PM running behind when the fire alarm goes off. Sit outside for about 15 min before the Key West FD gave us the all clear to get back at it. That put us late to dinner at La Concha and they had hardly any food left. But like the rest of this trip so far it all worked out and a little Key lime Pie for dessert. 

Sleep great peeps, big day tomorrow. Good luck to all!

2013-01-11 9:32 PM

User image

Elite
Whispering Pines, North Carolina
Have a great race, folks! Hope you rock it!
2013-01-12 10:42 AM

User image

Regular
NWA
Hope the race went great for each of you and that the wind was kind...celebrate Key West style!!!Look forward to post race reports...I've enjoyed being a silent lurker...
2013-01-13 7:50 AM

User image

140 point holy S*$+!

Had to earn that one for sure. By far the hardest race I've done.

2013-01-13 9:57 AM
in reply to: #4575844

User image

Master
Cumming, Georgia
I agree that was one heck of a race. I was doing great until mile 6 on the and then went into full blown meltdown. I had terrible GI issues and started throwing up. At that point I was nauseous and started getting light headed and started walking a lot. By mile 18 the demons in my head were telling me to stop since I didn't want to pass out. I took a break and cleared my mind and decided I had gone this far and finishing even with a time well over my goal was better than stopping.

2013-01-13 10:06 AM

New user
Key West

I am so impressed with you guys that did the full. I just did the half and it was challenging enough. You all had that swim against the current in the first half, not to mention the waves we dealt with. I don't know about you but I was having a hard time sighting the buoys. Then the bike, the wind was not our friend going out, but you all had those ridiculous laps, not sure how you even kept it straight. The shoulder of the road, as you discovered was pretty crappy in a lot of places and the traffic was, well, like the traffic in the Keys. The Monroe County Sheriff bubbas held me up for 10 minutes at the Middle Torch Key turnaround and I lost out to the 3rd place in my age group by 9 minutes. Who knows if that was the difference, but it didn't make me happy. I bonked on the run and cramped (feet and legs) super bad. The key for me was not having proper nutrition on the bike. I lost 3 of my 4 gu and didn't take enough fluid/electrolyte replacement.

Anyway, I was thinking about you all when I was home soaking if my bathtub full of Epson Salts. Undecided  BRAVO!!!!

Hope you are able to look back on the experience with some good thoughts.

btw-turns out because of some no shows in the age category above mine, I was the oldest female finisher. (and felt it) Woot woot

Edited by topolina 2013-01-13 10:09 AM
2013-01-13 1:31 PM

Champion
No excuses!

Well.... where to start. That swim, just wow. I cut the bottom of my foot on some reef pieces early on while wading out rather than swimming cause it was about 2 ft deep. 

I agree with others on those waves. I am no small fry and I was being tossed like a t-shirt in the dryer out there. And sighting was impossible. Then to make matters worse I got to the end  but had gone outside of the sea wall thingy and had to swim back against the current to get inside that wall and make it back to the finish.

The wind on the bike was ridiculous. I was cussing it out and then it hit me. It's 80 degrees, sunny and I am staring out at the ocean. I could be at home with freezing temps and snow and in January in Michigan we get about 5 hours of sunshine in the month. So my attitude changed for the better.

I was struggling mightily on the run especially heading out past Smathers Beach into that wind. But luckily something clicked with about 8 miles to go and I kicked it in and passed about 5 people in my age group to finish 2nd and 15 overall.

Headed back down to Duval after a nice shower and enjoyed a cover band and beers til 1 am.

Now today is my today to live it up. Hope everyone else is feeling good and enjoying there accomplishment. Great job everyone! 

2013-01-13 1:48 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Raleigh

My day was PHUCING horrible... a DNF.

I didn't make it out of the water. I vomited 3 times at the 1.2mi point and then 6 times at the 1.8mi point. Hanging onto a kayak looking at the orange turn buoy at the end of the pier, I felt that if I wanted to I could probably tough it out to the finish. Fortunately, I got smart and realized I wasn't going to be in any shape to ride 112 miles.

Even at 2am last night in bed, I still was swirling.

My entire race could have been saved with one stupid $2 pill had I the forethought to plan for the possibility of getting sea sick. 

2013-01-14 7:50 AM
in reply to: #4576227

Champion
No excuses!
bullyboy - 2013-01-13 2:48 PM

My day was PHUCING horrible... a DNF.

I didn't make it out of the water. I vomited 3 times at the 1.2mi point and then 6 times at the 1.8mi point. Hanging onto a kayak looking at the orange turn buoy at the end of the pier, I felt that if I wanted to I could probably tough it out to the finish. Fortunately, I got smart and realized I wasn't going to be in any shape to ride 112 miles.

Even at 2am last night in bed, I still was swirling.

My entire race could have been saved with one stupid $2 pill had I the forethought to plan for the possibility of getting sea sick. 

Sorry to hear, that water was crazy. Chin up, live to fight another day!

2013-01-14 8:01 AM
in reply to: #4576210

New user
Key West
Shermbelle - 2013-01-13 2:31 PM

Well.... where to start. That swim, just wow. I cut the bottom of my foot on some reef pieces early on while wading out rather than swimming cause it was about 2 ft deep. 

I agree with others on those waves. I am no small fry and I was being tossed like a t-shirt in the dryer out there. And sighting was impossible. Then to make matters worse I got to the end  but had gone outside of the sea wall thingy and had to swim back against the current to get inside that wall and make it back to the finish.

The wind on the bike was ridiculous. I was cussing it out and then it hit me. It's 80 degrees, sunny and I am staring out at the ocean. I could be at home with freezing temps and snow and in January in Michigan we get about 5 hours of sunshine in the month. So my attitude changed for the better.

I was struggling mightily on the run especially heading out past Smathers Beach into that wind. But luckily something clicked with about 8 miles to go and I kicked it in and passed about 5 people in my age group to finish 2nd and 15 overall.

Headed back down to Duval after a nice shower and enjoyed a cover band and beers til 1 am.

Now today is my today to live it up. Hope everyone else is feeling good and enjoying there accomplishment. Great job everyone! 

Congratulations. After all of your trials and tribulations, you still kicked butt. Awesome job.

Bullyboy, so sorry to hear about your swim. I was standing on the beach watching a few people being pulled out of the water before I started my wave at the back of the pack. Felt very bad, but after doing the swim, can see how that would have happened. Definitely takes some getting used to. If you had water in your ears, that might have made it worse. I find that the only time I get dizzy in the water is when I have water in my ears. I don't generally have sea sickness issues though. Hope you find a new IM to bounce back with.

2013-01-14 9:35 AM

User image

Master
Boynton Beach, FL

Day 2 post event and still trying to find my legs if anyone has seen them.  They left me somewhere on the first loop of the run!  What a great race though and I really enjoyed it for my first full ironman.   12;29:06 was my time and I was hoping for under 12.   But once I felt that wind on the bike I figured that was not realistic for me.  

Swim was decent and I have done a bit of OWS down here so that confidence was priceless for the start.  Next year they definitely need a better start cause I was walking for the 1st 3 minutes.  The Bike was just humbling into the wind and it took a lot to hold back and save the legs.   The downwind portions though were just heaven.  The run....    That is where I hit a wall.  Managed to run the first loop pretty well and then I ended up walking a good portion of the 2nd.  Somehow I got my 2nd wind and managed to jog the last loop and majority of final 5k into the finish.  Had 2guys right in front of me at the end and my legs had nothing left to catch them.  

Overall a great first year race IMHO and if I would go back fro sure.  Great job everyone who raced and competed!

2013-01-14 10:19 AM

New user
Key West
BTW has anyone found the official results with age group rankings, etc.? I have looked everywhere, can't see that they are posted yet. I did see the half overall results in the KW paper on Sunday, but that is it.
2013-01-14 11:22 AM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Georgia
Another DNF here..

My fifth IM, I'd never been less than 30mins faster than the one preceeding, training was decent, etc. etc...

I started cramping on the bike at mile and it didn't let up until mile 90. A few times on the upwind part of the second loop, I had to pull over..I have no clue what brought those cramps on because I was riding well within the range of my fitness( I figure I also swallowed plenty of salt water, to boot so no sodium problem..!). Last 20 of the bike were respectable and parts of the run too but the damage was done and at the turnaround for the third loop, I could not run one more step(I've got an ongoing foot thing). My head was playing a mean game of rationalization with me at this point and I convinced myself to throw in the towel. Not sure it was right, not sure it was wrong..

In one million years I didn't see a DNF as the outcome from BI..I'm gonna have to regroup and see if it's worth a return for some payback.

Congrats to EVERYONE who toed the start line!
2013-01-14 11:29 AM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Georgia
Oh, yeah...

On the swim, I missed the last buoy after the one at the far end of the long pier...I never saw it and was swimming directly for the exit ladder when a kayaker came up and redirected me back towards shore. That little navigational faux-pas cost me a bit of time but as it turned out, the swim was still the best part of my day!
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Bone Island Tri - Full Iron Course : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 14