The Final Stretch
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 18m 11s
Overall Rank = 75/268
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 19/35
Pre-race routine:

I had an absolute crappy night's sleep prior to this. I was in bed by 10:15, but couldn't fall asleep. I could feel my heart pounding and couldn't clear race thoughts from my head. My wife came in real late, then my kids started waking up and coming into our bedroom. I felt like I netted only 3 hours of sleep all night, though I probably actually got more than this. 4:45 alarm got me going, with typical bowl of Special K with red berries plus yogurt and coffee. Got the race site by around 6. Found a spot near the end of a rack. Lo and behold, Peteweb55403 was right across from me! We chatted extensively, along with Me_XMan and Farlig. I made my way to the permanent bathroom near the playground (no lines, no pressure), then back to transition to gather my wetsuit and head down for the pre-race meeting. Honestly, my primary goal for the day given the heat was "don't die," then maybe finish under 6 hours
Event warmup:

Just a brief (200yd?) swim to get loosened. Figured i would warm up as I went.
Swim
  • 32m 54s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 34s / 100 yards
Comments:

I could see right away who was going to start fast for our wave: a 6'3" skinny guy standing 8 feet in front of everyone else at the water's edge. As we went in, a pack of 3-4 swimmers started further to the outside. I was right behind "speedy guy" for about 100 yards, and had a drafter on my feet for the first 800 yards or so. I slowly pulled away from the outside group and started to catch up to swimmers from earlier waves. Then I started drifting way off course (to the inside), so my drafter decided he could let me go:) I found it odd that I was drifting off course into the wind. I essentially swam my own race the rest of the way, settling into a good, but not overtly hard pace. My sighting improved (with increased frequency), and eventually caught up to another white cap. I didn't have the speed or desire to pass him, so I was content to settle in for a little drafting of my own. This guy may have been my drafter on the front half of the course, so I figured it was fair. When I got out of the water, I was ecstatic to see 31:50!!! I gave my swim buddy a high-5 and congratulated him on the great swim during the long run back up to transition. Since he came out of the water just ahead of me, I let him go across the timing mat first.
What would you do differently?:

Try to site a little better. I kept veering to the right (inside the buoys) and would go 15-20 strokes at a time between sighting.
Transition 1
  • 01m 50s
Comments:

Definitely took my time with transitions. I wanted to get my phone/GPS app set up and on with my armband so that my support team at home could follow my progress. Otherwise this could have been :40 faster.

Since I was "taking it easy" today with the hot conditions, I just wanted to make sure I didn't miss anything and was methodical, not efficient with the transitions. No more of this putzing around in the future!
Bike
  • 2h 43m 49s
  • 55 miles
  • 20.14 mile/hr
Comments:

This went MUCH better than I expected. I had been averaging around 18.7 on training rides, and typically felt very tired after a consistent Zone 2 effort. Race day today, I maintained in low Zone 3 for almost the entire race, with rare spikes to 4. I knew the course well, and knew where the strong south wind would hurt. I also knew that it would be pushing us all the way back to the park, and that I could sustain a harder effort early in the course and recover on the way home. I was fairly annoyed with the number of times someone would pass me, then stop pedaling and sit up. To avoid drafting/overtaken penalties, I actually had to brake on several occasions to fall back. Out of spite I would pass them right back and continue with my consistent effort. Late in the ride I really had to pee. I tried to do the "ballast release" described so eloquently in Farlig's race report, but I just couldn't get things started. I have a history of being pee-shy, and figured this may be a problem. With my advanced course knowledge, I knew the gas station just outside of watertown had a bathroom that was easy to get to and usually not occupied. I took my chances, and this worked perfectly! Thanked the fine ladies behind the countery, hopped back on my bike and finished off the ride refreshed and energized. Overall, this went awesome (and seemed to go surprisingly fast). I may have put out a little too much effort (especially when passing back), but i felt I still had plenty in the tank, and stuck to my nutrition plan (2 bottles Roctane Ultra Endurance, 1 1/2 water bottles from the course, and a pack of Gu chomps for 680 calories total).

A few weeks ago, I was really down in the dumps, thinking that I wasn't making any progress in the distance rides, and I knew I hadn't put in the time I wanted due to work and family conflicts. I guess I was doing much better than I thought, as this went awesome despite fairly strong winds (15-20mph) and warming temps. Overall, I wouldn't change a thing!
Transition 2
  • 01m 47s
Comments:

Again, took my time, reset my watch, grabbed some more Gu Chomps to start the run (ended making my hands a sticky mess).

Again, methodical, but not efficient, and will be much faster without screwing around with the phone
Run
  • 1h 57m 52s
  • 12.5 miles
  • 09m 26s  min/mile
Comments:

After a great bike split, I knew that I would need to finish in under 2:10 to break my "A" time of 5:30. Most of my training had been in the 8:45-8:30/mile range, so 10:00/mile would be easy as long as i didn't walk much. After the first 3/4 mile, my right quad started to cramp. This was a first for me, but I though maybe I can just ease/shuffle through it. Within a few hundred yards, my left quad cramped as well, and I thought I was in for a long run. I stopped at the first water station for water, Heed, and stretch both quads for about a minute. I started again at an easy pace, and the cramp worked out after about another mile, never to return. The mile markers seemed to be coming relatively fast (my GPS agreed). I continued a comfortable pace, alternating water and HEED at each stop. Other than slowing/stopping briefly for water, I ran the entire route. I saw my wife and kids near the turn-around, which was wonderful!! They all got a wet, sweaty hug and kiss! By mile 8, I figured out that I actually had a shot at 5:20 and started pushing the pace. At the same time, several of the people that passed me early in the course were now walking. It was the first time that I was actually passing people on the run! In the end, I lost 2 spots in the last mile, but finished well under my "A++" time overall (thanks in no small part to the short run course). Great run, good mental effort to keep pushing, and probably at or near my physical effort limit!

Nothing really. Again, lack of training made this harder than it had to be. Since I'll be doing the TC marathon 4 weeks after Square Lake, hopefully my legs will be in better shape.
Post race
Warm down:

stretched a little. went down to the lake to cool off, then back up for food. I felt like I could vomit for a brief period, but that subsided quickly.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Only limit here was missing my overall training goals. But again, this went MUCH better than I could have ever hoped for!

Event comments:

Volunteers were great, course was well marked. I was dissappointed that they only had 2 instead of 3 water stops as they said they would. They only had ice at one stop on the run course (which would have been really helpful earlier). Burgers were small, crispy hockey pucks, but otherwise everything was set up and run very well. If I'm doing an ironman next year, this will absolutely be on my list to do again, regardless if it's at Rebecca or Baker park!

Last updated: 2012-01-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:32:54 | 2112 yards | 01m 34s / 100yards
Age Group: 5/35
Overall: 38/268
Performance: Good
HR was 160 most of the swim, which is typical of a good effort. 12 minutes at Olympic turnaround, 15 at half turnaround.
Suit: Tyr Hurricane Cat 3
Course: Counterclockwise narrow rectangle
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:50
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
02:43:49 | 55 miles | 20.14 mile/hr
Age Group: 16/35
Overall: 89/268
HR avg overall through swim and bike was 153 (target 150 for duration of the bike)
Wind: Strong
Course: Lollipop with 1 1/2 loops. Started south down Cty 17 into the wind, then East Cty 6, South on Cty 110 into Mound, West on Cty 15/20 to Watertown, then East on 6. Second lap to South Cty 92, back to Cty 15/20 again, Then 6 back to Cty 17
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:47
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:57:52 | 12.5 miles | 09m 26s  min/mile
Age Group: 16/35
Overall: 84/268
HR avg 157 for the run
Course: Looping out and back on trails through Lake Rebecca Park Reserve. Fairly well sheltered, though exposed areas were hot and fairly windy
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-06-15 6:37 PM

User image

Veteran
Maple Grove
Subject: Liberty Triathlon - Half Ironman

2012-06-15 6:47 PM
in reply to: #4264276

User image

Maple Grove, MN
Subject: RE: Liberty Triathlon - Half Ironman
Great race and great race report. As for the transitions, I think methodical is the way to go. Getting the nutrition right is crucial, for instance.
2012-06-15 9:13 PM
in reply to: #4264292

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
Again, congratulations. I am really impressed for your first HIM! 
2012-06-15 9:16 PM

User image

Expert
Western WI
Well done!  And just thing, you stopped at a gas station to pee and still beat your A++ time! Awesome!!
2012-06-15 10:09 PM

User image

Minneapolis, MN

way to go.  I knew you were not giving yourself credit when we chatted pre-race.  "you just wanted to break 6 hours".  but that is a great time, and most importantly you had a plan and stuck to it with no major problems.  

Not that the bathroom at the gas station was part of the plan.   That is hilarious.  whatever works though

2012-06-15 11:24 PM

User image

Veteran
Maple Grove

About the gas station...

When I couldn't pee on the bike, I knew I had to think of a plan. I had stopped by the gas station on 3 other occasions during training rides (every ride I had been on out there), and i thought I may do better to run in and out, rather than wait to get back to T2 and find a line for the port-o-potties in transition. When I got back there was, indeed, a line, so I may have actually saved time by peeing at a gas station. My biggest fear was that my bike would get stolen in the 2 minutes I was in the gas station (as irrational as it sounds...), and I'm sure the store clerks got a kick out of a guy in spandex, heeled shoes, and a pointy helmet running in to use their bathroom Embarassed

2012-06-15 11:52 PM

User image

Maple Grove, MN
one on of these forums I remember someone writing "if you don't have to pee on the bike leg, you aren't drinking enough water". You were drinking enough. (By that measure, I never drink enough water).
2012-06-16 10:13 AM

User image

Minneapolis, MN
AlisonLamana - 2012-06-16 2:35 AM

I am interested in swimming race,I am just a biggest fan of Michel Phelps.He is such a wonderful athlete.

swimming caps

you got spammed?

back to the gas station.  I was not making fun.  i think it is genius and yes you are better off taking care of it, then holding it.  Fear of bike theft is always a huge concern if i stop at a training ride, so i empathize.

2012-06-16 8:04 PM
in reply to: #4264754

User image

Veteran
Maple Grove
peteweb55403 - 2012-06-16 10:13 AM
AlisonLamana - 2012-06-16 2:35 AM

I am interested in swimming race,I am just a biggest fan of Michel Phelps.He is such a wonderful athlete.

you got spammed?

back to the gas station.  I was not making fun.  i think it is genius and yes you are better off taking care of it, then holding it.  Fear of bike theft is always a huge concern if i stop at a training ride, so i empathize.

I totally get it about the gas station. i understood that wasn't your intention, but even if it was, I would totally agree with you! I was actually chuckling to myself as I was running through it, thinking "I must look rediculous in this aero helmet and spandex running into your john."

And ya, I got spammed...

2012-06-16 9:09 PM
in reply to: #4265210

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
I don't know, maybe Alison is a huge fan and thinks you swim like Michael Phelps?
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Liberty Triathlon - Half Ironman Rss Feed